Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I recently managed to get myself on a 1973 VW Beetle in Saturn Yellow, with a 1937 Ford body-kit that was installed from the dealer. God help me it's an Autostick.

The paint's chipped, but largely present, but there are a few dings.

Some rust, nothing structural.

And it doesn't run.

But hey, the interior's in pretty good shape!

It's sat in a garage down in Florida for the past....eesh, I'm not actually too sure, close to a decade. I'm only an amateur mechanic, I have experience in basic auto maintenance and fix my own lawnmowers. I've got a Haynes manual, a garage full of tools left behind by my dearly departed mechanic father, and ambition. My goal is to return this puppy to more or less it's original condition, and turn it into a daily driver. First thing being first, I've got to get it running. As it's sat, I'm pretty sure this entails getting all the old turpentine gasoline out of the tank and lines, getting some new oil in it, battery, plugs, filters, and seeing if it'll turn over. So far, I'm feeling pretty hopeful about this, we'll see how that changes in the next couple weeks. After it's running, it's on to the brakes, which are locked up, as well as the steering, which is also locked up.

Agrinja fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

For the steering, first make sure the ignition lock isn't stuck. After that, check the linkages underneath, especially the drag link. There's a bronze bush upgrade that some people do, and I can imagine that seizing pretty good without movement or lubrication. If all of the linkages underneath move, then check the steering box adjustment on the driver's side, accessible in the frunk beneath a pop-out circular metal plate. You loosen the bolt from the threaded shaft, then turn the threaded shaft counter-clockwise to loosen it.

And oh god that Ford kit, holy poo poo. I wondered where they came from, but the question is why?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Autostick parts are hard as hell to find, but findable. check thesamba, thats where I found most of the parts for mine when I owned a 74.

(I'm talking vacuum/electrical controls)

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Geirskogul posted:

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

For the steering, first make sure the ignition lock isn't stuck. After that, check the linkages underneath, especially the drag link. There's a bronze bush upgrade that some people do, and I can imagine that seizing pretty good without movement or lubrication. If all of the linkages underneath move, then check the steering box adjustment on the driver's side, accessible in the frunk beneath a pop-out circular metal plate. You loosen the bolt from the threaded shaft, then turn the threaded shaft counter-clockwise to loosen it.

And oh god that Ford kit, holy poo poo. I wondered where they came from, but the question is why?

Main thing I know right now is that it isn't the ignition lock, judging by the way I am getting some wiggle, I suspect the freeze is somewhere in the linkages. I do appreciate the advice, thank you! I feel a bit like a twerp saying this, but the Ford kit's staying, I like it and it's got a strange amount of family history. My mom actually bought this exact type of car new back in the day.

cursedshitbox posted:

Autostick parts are hard as hell to find, but findable. check thesamba, thats where I found most of the parts for mine when I owned a 74.

(I'm talking vacuum/electrical controls)

Just regged up there yesterday, I'll have to check it out. As is, from what I can see, and from what I know, there probably isn't anything wrong with the transmission. I'm not spotting any atrocities committed to the hose, the electrical hookups look stock, and the fluid is remarkably clean.

Agrinja fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 23, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What a curious looking front end! I'll be watching this thread but I have nothing to add in terms of advice, just good luck!

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Slight update, didn't get too much done today, but the steering did break free for ??? reasons. Decided to give it a wiggle for the hell of it, and now it's turning. Feels like it needs some lube somewhere along the line, but that's a small miracle. Planning ahead, eventually I'm going to have to get under the body, scrape the superficial rust off and treat it with some sort of undercoat to keep it from coming back. Anybody have a recommended coating/paint for underneath fenders and whatnot?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Obligatory POR-15 suggestion

E: Also open the frunk I've always wanted to see inside

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Geirskogul posted:

Obligatory POR-15 suggestion

E: Also open the frunk I've always wanted to see inside

Does look like I'm going to go with POR-15, reviews great, looks like a product I've used on some other old iron stuff but is auto appropriate.

The frunk release, inside the glove box.

The interior, which needs relined. I'll probably wind up making something out of some hard-wearing carpet. The weather stripping needs redone, as well.

And a shot of the stock jack, and spare tire.

• Locked thread