Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

FutureFriend posted:

its a constant thread with every sonic game that no matter how lovely they are eggman still owns

Unironically one of the biggest problems with this game is that they replace eggman as the villain with some boring chucklefuck with a dipshit name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

TieTuesday posted:

Unironically one of the biggest problems with this game is that they replace eggman as the villain with some boring chucklefuck with a dipshit name

i mean its called the rise of lyric not the "chest day of eggman"

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

FutureFriend posted:

its a constant thread with every sonic game that no matter how lovely they are eggman still owns

This is the real reason that Sonic 06 is worse than this game, they gave Eggman a completely terrible redesign and try to play him straight instead of silly.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I feel like not applying the patches is sort of cheating, because while putting on the market a lovely game that needs patches is reprehensible, the finished product is unlikely to be good itself and it counts as the best that the studio could offer, so making fun of it feels more genuine.

I consider this game better than Sonic '06 because it is at least occasionally funny

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

This is the real reason that Sonic 06 is worse than this game, they gave Eggman a completely terrible redesign and try to play him straight instead of silly.

that redesign is amazing if only for the fact that it looks like eggman has 6 golden nipples

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

paradoxGentleman posted:

I feel like not applying the patches is sort of cheating, because while putting on the market a lovely game that needs patches is reprehensible, the finished product is unlikely to be good itself and it counts as the best that the studio could offer, so making fun of it feels more genuine.

I consider this game better than Sonic '06 because it is at least occasionally funny

I cannot even parse the logic behind that first sentence. If I didn't have wifi, this is what they sold. I'm sure you could patch 06 to maybe playable, but just because the studio was rushed doesn't make the game unshit. Releasing a broken heap is releasing a broken heap. Conversely I think putting a poo poo game on the market and rushing out patches after is cheating.

They sold this for $60 aimed at children I'm not gonna be fair to it.

TieTuesday fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 23, 2016

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

FutureFriend posted:

that redesign is amazing if only for the fact that it looks like eggman has 6 golden nipples

Of all the design decisions from 2006, this was probably one of the weirdest ones to me. They didn't even make them look like buttons or anything, they looked like things you hook tubes up to

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FutureFriend posted:

Eggman and the 6 Golden Nipples is a criminally underrated gameboy title.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The reaction to seeing Shadow holy poo poo my loving ears.

Also this:

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
Oh and for the record my wii u immediately patched the game as soon as i connected online, without even giving me an option or having the game in.

I wanted to do a small recording of like glitches and gallery stuff but hey gently caress me I guess.

The games framerate is a tiny bit better but they took out like, the fun to exploit glitches.

E:It downloaded the patch as soon as I connected, without launching or having the game in, it just remembered. I deleted the patch and it refused to start until I downloaded it again. Fuckin ridiculous protocol for patching my dendy.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The cutscenes look a lot like the animation in "Foodfight", where motion capture was used to awkwardly give movement to figures that should just have been animated.

TieTuesday posted:

Conversely I think putting a poo poo game on the market and rushing out patches after is cheating.
My favorite example of this is the last Tony Hawk game, where production was so rushed that the retail disc only had a couple elements of the game in place, so you had to download a 7GB patch that downloaded the actual 'finished' game on release date.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

TieTuesday posted:

I cannot even parse the logic behind that first sentence. If I didn't have wifi, this is what they sold. I'm sure you could patch 06 to maybe playable, but just because the studio was rushed doesn't make the game unshit. Releasing a broken heap is releasing a broken heap. Conversely I think putting a poo poo game on the market and rushing out patches after is cheating.

Your points are perfectly valid, but mine is this: the finished game with all the patches is probably still poo poo, so why not mock that instead? They had time to fix the problems with their game, and it still sucked. That feels worse to me than rushing out a game when it's still in the early stages; it is notionally possible (although not at all likely, especially since we're talking about a Sonic game) that the problems with the game could have been fixed in the patches.

Of course, I realize as I am typing this that your objective isn't to give a fair shake to this game but just make fun of it mercilessly. I still would have used the finished version, but I understand your point of view (especially the wi-fi and 60$ dollar thing).

(60 dollars, holy poo poo, you can buy a Batman: Arkham Something with that money)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is going to come off as insensitive, but who the gently caress doesn't have wifi?

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is going to come off as insensitive, but who the gently caress doesn't have wifi?

Yeah you clearly haven't lived in poorer and/or extremely rural areas. A lot of folk where I grew up still don't have internet and just go to the library for stuff, but their kids still play videogames. I know it seems wild!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lizard Wizard posted:

Most of rural US, for starters.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TieTuesday posted:

Yeah you clearly haven't lived in poorer and/or extremely rural areas. A lot of folk where I grew up still don't have internet and just go to the library for stuff, but their kids still play videogames. I know it seems wild!

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Lizard Wizard posted:

About two thirds of the planet.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Short answer: it's funnier

Longer answer: the unpatched version focus tested well with our target demo and we here at TieTuesLLC feel that our dedication to the fans is really what sets us apart from other content creators. As always, feel free to shoot an email over to feedback@tietuesllc.tv with any comments/questions/marketing opportunities you feel are relevant to your Sanci Boom experience

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
Ohhh boy, this game.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is about the cutscene direction that bothers me so much. There's something that's bugging me, sudden shifts from gameplay into them and stiff animation aside. Something with the camera?? Also no one ever shuts up in this game and it's awful. Yes, you like ring, we get it. There's a thing to jump on. We don't need a pointless quip for every instance of this, who thought this was an okay thing.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Ohhh boy, this game.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is about the cutscene direction that bothers me so much. There's something that's bugging me, sudden shifts from gameplay into them and stiff animation aside. Something with the camera??

I think it's because they're all soulless automatons coerced into imitating life and happiness.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Sam Faust posted:

I think it's because they're all soulless automatons coerced into imitating life and happiness.
The movement just looks like the characters are snapping back and forth between poses. Whenever they get thrown in the air there's no movement from their bodies; it looks like those early tests for the 1978 "Superman" movie where they were just firing a miniature Superman out of an air cannon to simulate flight.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Sam Faust posted:

Seriously. I think the Showbiz Pizza Bear had less lifeless eyes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Five Nights at 'Nuckles

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Ohhh boy, this game.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is about the cutscene direction that bothers me so much. There's something that's bugging me, sudden shifts from gameplay into them and stiff animation aside. Something with the camera?? Also no one ever shuts up in this game and it's awful. Yes, you like ring, we get it. There's a thing to jump on. We don't need a pointless quip for every instance of this, who thought this was an okay thing.

There's a lot to consider with regards to the cutscenes and their effectiveness. It's relatively inconsistent in the way they handle the animations, composition, and timing. It could have been handled better in all aspects, but what they do have does manage to tell the story even if it's a little rough. I don't know what might have occurred behind the scenes, but it does show that they reached more for good enough than great storytelling, which is unfortunate.

Honestly, some of these scenes would only need a couple of tweaks for it to flow more smoothly and feel more alive. The running scenes, for example, would feel faster if they panned the background better. Also, stuff like there being a lack of secondary motion and a rather inactive camera in a good chunk of these scenes adds to the stiffness.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Acne Rain posted:

Five Nights at 'Nuckles

Whatever you do, don't chuckle.

gadZeus
Jul 31, 2008

Prav posted:

eggman seems to have a buff V-shape, and isn't egg-shaped at all

He actually is still egg shaped, it's just upside down now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Sonic Boom is bad and slow and ugly. The writing isn't funny, the cutscenes are slow and ugly and everything about the game is incredibly cynical and awful.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sonic Boom is bad and slow and ugly. The writing isn't funny, the cutscenes are slow and ugly and everything about the game is incredibly cynical and awful.

Cynical is a really good word for it. It tries to be cute and genre aware like Gravity Falls but just never really does anything clever enough with it to sell it, so you're just left in a "haha it's fine to do trope if we reference doing trope, right" hole

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The only honest feeling joke was when Knuckles took a moment to figure out which side is left, and that's probably only because it's the first "Knuckles is dumb" joke and then they just beat the dead horse.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
At least Sonic 06 is relatively short, especially since a bunch of the levels are exactly the same, so you have them already memorized when you play as Shadow. Sonic Boom is the loving Iliad of Sonic games.

Eggman is excellent in both games. I also have a soft spot for dumb Knucks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Vicas posted:

Cynical is a really good word for it. It tries to be cute and genre aware like Gravity Falls but just never really does anything clever enough with it to sell it, so you're just left in a "haha it's fine to do trope if we reference doing trope, right" hole

It's that sort of very cheap self-awareness that you used to see all the time in lovely cartoons and internet comedy. Whoever was writing this phoned it in for sure.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's that sort of very cheap self-awareness that you used to see all the time in lovely cartoons and internet comedy. Whoever was writing this phoned it in for sure.

Hey now, let's not be unfair here

They could just be bad at their job

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Danaru posted:

At least Sonic 06 is relatively short, especially since a bunch of the levels are exactly the same, so you have them already memorized when you play as Shadow. Sonic Boom is the loving Iliad of Sonic games.

I don't know, theres that desert level with Silver that took me about 40 goddamn minutes to do since the physics puzzles are loving bullshit and the last level of the game took me about an hour since spawning black holes that instant kill you on touch and occasionally fire projectiles are also bullshit. But yeah I guess the game is shorter when you know the routs/have internet.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I wonder what is it that makes Sonic games so reliably terrible. Is it the knowledge that they can just cash in on the ever faithful Sonic fanbase, and thus don't need to put in any effort?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 24, 2016

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
There's a lot to unpack there (and many people have done it, if you care to look) but it kinda always comes down to Sega never having a real vision for the series after Sonic 3 (& Knuckles). It never really made the transition to 3D in the way that its direct competitor Mario did, and it's really felt like Sega has been scrambling to find some sort of niche for Sonic to fill ever since

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

paradoxGentleman posted:

I wonder what is it that makes Sonic games so reliably terrible. Is it the knowledge that they can just cash in on the ever faithful Sonic fanbase, and thus don't need to put in any effort?

What sonic fanbase? It sure as hell isn't people like me who played 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles as a kid. I mean, I'm unfortunately aware of a certain demographic that does really like Sonic and friends, but I can't imagine there's enough of them for games like these to be financially viable.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Sonic games aren't really so reliably terrible

Early 3d ones were terrible but they were trying. Colors and Generations were actually really good, see pokecapns lps. Unleashed invented the modern gameplay of those two but was hampered by very slow beat em up sections. I would say Lost World's reception is mixed. Also people seem to like the modern sonic racing games. So from 2009 up to now they were doing really well until this game came out.

This isn't counting the handheld games but still, better track record than a lot of Nintendo IPs have been able to have.

2006 and Boom seem to share most of the same production issues from what I'm reading so far.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dreamy Souffle posted:

There's a thing to jump on. We don't need a pointless quip for every instance of this, who thought this was an okay thing.

This is the loving worst thing about he game for me and I usually have a lot of patience for character tutorializing. That's kind of impressive actually.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Vicas posted:

There's a lot to unpack there (and many people have done it, if you care to look) but it kinda always comes down to Sega never having a real vision for the series after Sonic 3 (& Knuckles). It never really made the transition to 3D in the way that its direct competitor Mario did, and it's really felt like Sega has been scrambling to find some sort of niche for Sonic to fill ever since

I think this was also right about the time the series really got traded over to Sega of America once SoJ realized nobody wanted it any more and they had a perfect target to shove their dead franchise onto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

TieTuesday posted:

yeah they decided that instead of having eggman be the villain for the entire thing (which is a big reason why colors owned, you had eggman just farting over the PA system the entire game), you have just some chucklefuck who has nothing to do with the cartoon or anything, he's just a boring dipshit made exactly for the game because ???????

and man, hearing that this was made by former naughty dog people, the garbage gameplay starts to make a lot of sense

• Locked thread