Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Vicas posted:

There's a lot to unpack there (and many people have done it, if you care to look) but it kinda always comes down to Sega never having a real vision for the series after Sonic 3 (& Knuckles). It never really made the transition to 3D in the way that its direct competitor Mario did, and it's really felt like Sega has been scrambling to find some sort of niche for Sonic to fill ever since

Jim Sterling actually did a good video about that exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fillertrack
Aug 5, 2015
If there's a reason to get back on the forum I can't think of it. God Bounce Pad : Rise of Bounce Pad is so poo poo. My friend bought it ironically and help us we tried streaming it and just felt terrible. Now it sits in storage with the games not good enough for the shelf sandwiched between Asscreed 4 and Tekken.

FutureFriend posted:

that redesign is amazing if only for the fact that it looks like eggman has 6 golden nipples

Let's not forget his cool techno shades.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

At the risk of derailing, what exactly did you use to share the video/audio with your commentators?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Schwarzwald posted:

The thing to take away from this is that Big Red Button was formed from former Naughty Dog members. When TieTuesday said Sonic Boom played like a terrible Jak game, he was right on the money.

The more you see of this game, the more you realize the term "former Naughty Dog employees" might have different connotations than you assumed.

Lightcecil
Apr 22, 2008

Robert Denby posted:

The movement just looks like the characters are snapping back and forth between poses. Whenever they get thrown in the air there's no movement from their bodies; it looks like those early tests for the 1978 "Superman" movie where they were just firing a miniature Superman out of an air cannon to simulate flight.

Docfuture's way ahead of you there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc_AYYzytcE

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Man, every time Tails opens his mouth, some vaguely "intelligent"-sounding purple prose spills out. Hell, calling it purple is almost an overstatment. We get it! He's the smart one! Jesus, talk like a normal loving person please! :mad:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FisheyStix posted:

Man, every time Tails opens his mouth, some vaguely "intelligent"-sounding purple prose spills out. Hell, calling it purple is almost an overstatment. We get it! He's the smart one! Jesus, talk like a normal loving person please! :mad:

i wish he'd :goonsay:'d eggman on the definition of an ambush

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jesus Amy's mouth in that temple thing is horrifying

It's like the design never thought that the characters would actually talk or move their mouth in any way.

Wizbro
Jul 6, 2012
Hello, yes. I am here to poo poo post about Sonic too!

That being said I love that this thread has an un-ironic discussion about whether Boom or '06 is a worse game.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Lizard Wizard posted:

At the risk of derailing, what exactly did you use to share the video/audio with your commentators?

the dusted remains of the thousands of wizards i have slain in my back yard

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
This looks bad I am glad you are playing it and not me

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The impression I get from Sonic Boom is that if Big Red Button had been given the time they needed, this game could have been mediocre instead of a train wreck. I'm not spotting any ideas that could have been great with some work, just terribleness that could have been reduced to dullness.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

TieTuesday posted:

the dusted remains of the thousands of wizards i have slain in my back yard

vicas dumped those on you too? he left like 500 of em at my place and I had to call a trash hauler guy to get rid of them all

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Game Grumps' editor/tech guy took a look at some of the more glaring animations error in Sonic Boom. This is the first episode so I don't think think it contains any spoilers, so you might want to check it out.4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uKIwgdynkA

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 24, 2016

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Crystalgate posted:

The impression I get from Sonic Boom is that if Big Red Button had been given the time they needed, this game could have been mediocre instead of a train wreck. I'm not spotting any ideas that could have been great with some work, just terribleness that could have been reduced to dullness.

bingo. They managed to "patch" in slightly better framerate, "improved lighting", and added some boundaries to keep you from going OOB and also fixed the fun glitches too.

Oh and "improved shadows" but, as to not be a joke theif.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The Game Grumps' editor/tech guy took a look at some of the more glaring animations error in Sonic Boom. This is the first episode so I don't think think it contains any spoilers, so you might want to check it out.4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uKIwgdynkA

Third time in the thread

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

As someone who loves Sonic for both the actually good parts and laughably bad parts, I'm very interested in this LP. I haven't seen much of this game, but I have watched the cartoon, probably more than I should have. To be honest, it's EXTREMELY hit or miss. Like, when it's good, it's great, but when it's bad, it's just really terrible.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Does the Sonic Team change its team members literally every dev cycle because otherwise :psyduck:

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

inthesto posted:

Does the Sonic Team change its team members literally every dev cycle because otherwise :psyduck:

Seriously, like I love Sonic Colors (it's me fave sonci ever) but holy poo poo it is super indicative of the problem of "INTRODUCE SOMETHING THAT TOTALLY CHANGES THE GAME EVERY NEW ONE OR ELSE".
I think it's exacerbated by the fuckups whenever they released a more traditional Sonic aka Sonic 4 seriously what the gently caress is this physics engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiMi1fq79BE

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I haven't even watched the first episode yet, but here's a succinct review of the game:

http://i.imgur.com/jKqv8l1.webm

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I still think that if they had the original trailer graphics and a solid framerate the game would still be garbage to control, garbage brawler and puzzle sections with a super loving one note cast that don't shut up while you play.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Why did Lost World have those dumb monsters and why does this have a newer, dumber monster?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

TieTuesday posted:

Seriously, like I love Sonic Colors (it's me fave sonci ever) but holy poo poo it is super indicative of the problem of "INTRODUCE SOMETHING THAT TOTALLY CHANGES THE GAME EVERY NEW ONE OR ELSE".
I think it's exacerbated by the fuckups whenever they released a more traditional Sonic aka Sonic 4 seriously what the gently caress is this physics engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiMi1fq79BE

Yeah it's kinda true, though it seemed like they were on the right track with Colors and Generations, like Colors, the gimmick being color powers, like they were new and added new stuff, but they were just added on to the main gameplay as opposed to like "OH poo poo WE CAN'T JUST HAVE SONIC RUNNING AND JUMPING WE NEED A BRAND NEW GAMEPLAY STYLE" and then Generations was more of the same sort of thing except the gimmick is "half of the levels are sidescrolling"

then Lost World comes in and tries so hard to be mario galaxy even though they had a really good setup going if only they weren't deathly afraid of sticking with what worked

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why did Lost World have those dumb monsters and why does this have a newer, dumber monster?

Cause some loser wanted more serious villains instead of resident cool dude Eggman and so we got all these weird extra villains like Mephiles, Chaos, Zoni and Lyric.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

XavierGenisi posted:

Yeah it's kinda true, though it seemed like they were on the right track with Colors and Generations, like Colors, the gimmick being color powers, like they were new and added new stuff, but they were just added on to the main gameplay as opposed to like "OH poo poo WE CAN'T JUST HAVE SONIC RUNNING AND JUMPING WE NEED A BRAND NEW GAMEPLAY STYLE" and then Generations was more of the same sort of thing except the gimmick is "half of the levels are sidescrolling"

then Lost World comes in and tries so hard to be mario galaxy even though they had a really good setup going if only they weren't deathly afraid of sticking with what worked

yeah and with a few exceptions most of colors powers were based on the concept of "lets go fast" or "up challenge on a platformy bit". like turning into a very fast laser and or drill that was fast and manic and fun.
UFO was awful asstrash though. Generations was p. solid because it's gimmick was "half good sonic 2D, half best sonic 3D" which like ok yeah im on board sure.

Generations did have all of the pitfalls of every sonic though, like lovely bosses, and occasional tight platforming despite having a highspeed butterboy with physics designed for mach 3 not careful pixel perfect jumps.

E: Colors power system making bosses pretty enjoyable is probably one of the most major reasons I think it's the best Sonic game tbh

EE:

Golden Goat posted:

Cause some loser wanted more serious villains instead of resident cool dude Eggman and so we got all these weird extra villains like Mephiles, Chaos, Zoni and Lyric.

what about the perfect lifeform no not shadow that big hosed up space lizard that just kinda thrashed around like a dipshit

TieTuesday fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 24, 2016

fillertrack
Aug 5, 2015
The Sonic series really just needed to find a gimmick and stick with it. Sonic Adventure comes along with its 6 characters with their own play styles making the game a mess. Adventure 2 was a step in the right direction with more focused character styles. The main new gimmick, the rails, actually fit well and helped with some of the issues with the 3d environment. Then Sonic Heroes great just the runny bits good. No we gotta manage a trio of sonics gently caress you almost had it. Then they gave up and said "let's give a sonic a gun" and then they were lost forever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I found the Zeti entertaining enough. I felt Lost World while Flawed was good and with some work could be great. Improving on that formula could make a really good sonic game.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

fillertrack posted:

The Sonic series really just needed to find a gimmick and stick with it. Sonic Adventure comes along with its 6 characters with their own play styles making the game a mess. Adventure 2 was a step in the right direction with more focused character styles. The main new gimmick, the rails, actually fit well and helped with some of the issues with the 3d environment. Then Sonic Heroes great just the runny bits good. No we gotta manage a trio of sonics gently caress you almost had it. Then they gave up and said "let's give a sonic a gun" and then they were lost forever.

To be fair, I don't think a lot of people would even talk about Sonic to begin with if it was on a set path. Like, if Sonic Boom was mediocre and playable, we wouldn't be here right now since it's just boring instead of the big car crashes Tie and co got into.

And I say car crashes because it feels a bit crash-prone in the unpatched state.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

TieTuesday posted:

yeah and with a few exceptions most of colors powers were based on the concept of "lets go fast" or "up challenge on a platformy bit". like turning into a very fast laser and or drill that was fast and manic and fun.
UFO was awful asstrash though. Generations was p. solid because it's gimmick was "half good sonic 2D, half best sonic 3D" which like ok yeah im on board sure.

Generations did have all of the pitfalls of every sonic though, like lovely bosses, and occasional tight platforming despite having a highspeed butterboy with physics designed for mach 3 not careful pixel perfect jumps.

E: Colors power system making bosses pretty enjoyable is probably one of the most major reasons I think it's the best Sonic game tbh

yeah that's true. as much as i like generations, it's not perfect, and some of the bosses are bad, like to this day, i'm still unsure on how the hell you're supposed to fight the final boss, despite having beaten it at least twice

also colors was great for having some of the best water levels ever thanks to the drill

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I'm glad that Vicas don't know that Shadow was in the game.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Jarogue posted:

I'm glad that Vicas don't know that Shadow was in the game.

it's a valid and important question

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

widespread posted:

To be fair, I don't think a lot of people would even talk about Sonic to begin with if it was on a set path. Like, if Sonic Boom was mediocre and playable, we wouldn't be here right now since it's just boring instead of the big car crashes Tie and co got into.

And I say car crashes because it feels a bit crash-prone in the unpatched state.

"spoilers about what happens in LP"
I'm pretty sure aside from me possibly discovering how to knucklejump and purposefully popping myself out of bounds, and the framerate issues being abysmal instead of just bad, we didn't even hit any of the patched things, so the whole argument of patched/unpatched is loving stupid on another level, like the patch would have made the run even less fun tbh

Lightcecil
Apr 22, 2008
I also like Generations but yeah, holy poo poo, those bosses. Also thanks for shoehorning in pointless challenges in to progress, Sega. Really. I mean, there are a few bosses in the game I legit enjoyed. (It's Shadow Rival fight and Death Egg Robot. The rest are utter trash)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I never played the game, but the daytime levels in Sonic Unleashed really did look like a blast.

Wouldn't most people be okay with "go fast with pretty scenery and good music"? Why did we get all this nonsense?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I do enjoy the tradition of doing bad sonic games in one blitz.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

inthesto posted:

I never played the game, but the daytime levels in Sonic Unleashed really did look like a blast.

Wouldn't most people be okay with "go fast with pretty scenery and good music"? Why did we get all this nonsense?

Because Unleashed isn't a viable formula for a full game. There's a reason all those slow werehog levels existed, because the daytime levels lasted about 2 minutes but covered a significant amount of distance/assets. A full game of Daytime levels would last all of maybe an hour or so.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Prav posted:

eggman seems to have a buff V-shape, and isn't egg-shaped at all

Eggman finally realized that eggs are a good source of protein and not just cholesterol.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lightcecil posted:

I also like Generations but yeah, holy poo poo, those bosses. Also thanks for shoehorning in pointless challenges in to progress, Sega. Really. I mean, there are a few bosses in the game I legit enjoyed. (It's Shadow Rival fight and Death Egg Robot. The rest are utter trash)

Metal Sonic and Silver were pretty cool. Chaos was just sort of bland.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

Because Unleashed isn't a viable formula for a full game. There's a reason all those slow werehog levels existed, because the daytime levels lasted about 2 minutes but covered a significant amount of distance/assets. A full game of Daytime levels would last all of maybe an hour or so.
Sonic the Werehog will never stop being the funniest poo poo to me, conceptually. No idea how it plays but I'm glad something that stupid exists. Sonic, but with a sword is pretty good too. I'm looking forward to seeing whether Sonic Boom reaches those heady heights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

TieTuesday posted:

what about the perfect lifeform no not shadow that big hosed up space lizard that just kinda thrashed around like a dipshit
The perfect lifeform that apparently couldn't do anything cause somebody strapped it to the moon so now all it can do is loving burst into flames and fall into the earth.

• Locked thread