Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Don't forget the Alien Pope from Shadow the Hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ometeotl posted:

Because Unleashed isn't a viable formula for a full game. There's a reason all those slow werehog levels existed, because the daytime levels lasted about 2 minutes but covered a significant amount of distance/assets. A full game of Daytime levels would last all of maybe an hour or so.

Generations did fine.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Also the original games take like, half an hour. Long game=good game is kind of a new thing and not necessarily true.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SirSamVimes posted:

Generations did fine.

The levels in Generations were significantly shorter than the levels in Unleashed, and I believe Sonic was a little slower as well.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

SirSamVimes posted:

Generations did fine.

Generations was slower than Unleashed by a tangible amount, the Modern Sonic levels were shorter than Unleashed levels, Classic Sonic levels were not as slow but served the same function as Werehog levels and it's been awhile so I might be mistaken, but didn't you have to do a certain number of those side missions in each era before it let you progress to the new one?

Fellbat posted:

Also the original games take like, half an hour. Long game=good game is kind of a new thing and not necessarily true.

True as that may be, have fun trying to sell a $60 game in this market that lasts an hour and see what happens.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Both Eggman and Gaston wear red and yellow and both are now shaped like muscular triangles. Both have an egg connection. Coincidence, or Conspiracy?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
There was a bit of talk earlier about Sonic never really getting its niche, but speaking as a guy who's never played one but has watched pretty much all of them be played, I felt like Colors and, to a lesser extent, Generations captured exactly what Sonic's niche can be. Both games have some potential dark concepts in there (using the Wisps as energy is more'n a bit hosed up!), but they never really get SERIOUS about it. Both games are colorful, light-hearted, flippant, they poke fun at themselves and their tropes and their genre without resorting to straight up lampshading or calling it out. They're FUN and they have fun doing what they do, and what they do is alternate the occasional simple puzzle section with exhilarating speed sections that require rapid reaction. It's a solid foundation.

This game is kind of a showcase of all the ways that kind of thing can fall apart, because while it's GREAT when it works well, it's a surprisingly difficult tone to strike. The writing has to be on-point constantly, and here it just feels like it's constantly trying to fake it. Timing is ESSENTIAL, both in the gameplay and the story--the kind of strange cutscene fuckery you've been seeing punctures the high-speed tension like a balloon and produces a similar farting noise. The speed sections are too short and too brainless--there's no rapid reaction required. They also don't feel fast, because the framerate is so bad. The combat takes way too long--this was 06's problem, too, and one of the big issues with the werehog portions of Unleashed. The puzzles are simultaneously too easy and too complex--there's too much poo poo required to do in them and it's not at all hard to figure out what to do, so it just becomes busywork.

All the elements are here, but in their own individual way they've all been hosed up.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
People talk about whether Sonic Boom or 06 are the worse game, but it really just comes down to the details. 06 was a lot more ambitious, which led to a trainwreck of a plot and very buggy gameplay - so much so that there is a certain schadenfreude to watching people play it, and no two walkthroughs that I've seen play out the same (different hangups, glitches, etc.). On the contrary, Boom is set up to advertise the Cartoon, and comes across as being lackluster, and half-hearted about everything. Its cardinal sin is being soulless - it's a boring game, and it just feels like the developers were lazy.

Basically, If the two games were given more time and polish, 06 would be a decent game with a terribly stupid story, and Boom would be a mediocre game with a generic story.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Setting out to make something excellent and failing completely is something of a tragedy.

Setting out to make something mediocre and failing just as badly is hilarious.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So when I first saw the re-designs I didn't have a problem with them. I thought they were pretty interesting looking re-designs that defined the characters a little more. Seeing them fully realised in game has proven that I was an idiot, or possibly just that what looks good as 2d concept art might not work out in 3d.

Also I believe the tape is meant to be protective in nature, to stop them from pulling muscles/damaging themselves. It's especially notable on Amy because her tape is meant to stop her from damaging her back swinging the giant hammer she uses as a weapon around. Still looks stupid though.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Lord_Magmar posted:

So when I first saw the re-designs I didn't have a problem with them. I thought they were pretty interesting looking re-designs that defined the characters a little more. Seeing them fully realised in game has proven that I was an idiot, or possibly just that what looks good as 2d concept art might not work out in 3d.

Also I believe the tape is meant to be protective in nature, to stop them from pulling muscles/damaging themselves. It's especially notable on Amy because her tape is meant to stop her from damaging her back swinging the giant hammer she uses as a weapon around. Still looks stupid though.

don't wanna pull/damage your shoes sonic

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I can't believe that Sega tried to ride on Mummies Alive!'s success

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

It looks decent in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TByx4CFOkMs

Here a random episode I grabbed off Youtube.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It looks decent in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TByx4CFOkMs

Here a random episode I grabbed off Youtube.
That girl with the boomerang gets a slot in the opening and poses with the team? Is she actually important in the cartoon and they just demoted her to NPC in the game or something?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nihilarian posted:

That girl with the boomerang gets a slot in the opening and poses with the team? Is she actually important in the cartoon and they just demoted her to NPC in the game or something?

She is part of the main cast in the show and the 3DS games. (Which are much better then the Wii U game. But still not amazing from what I heard.) Just an NPC in the Wii U.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

(Which are much better then the Wii U game. But still not amazing from what I heard.)

The 3DS game had better gameplay, better writing staff and jokes and the 3 full motion cutscene looked a poo poo ton better then what the Wii U's, still mediocre but better quity then the Wii U ver. That may be the reason why Sega gave Sanzaru Games a second chance to make another Sonic Boom game, and even let Sanzaru Games delay it from a Fall 2015 release to Fall 2016 for more development time.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Yesss a bad Sonic game LP :allears: The 06 LP by Pokecapn was amazing and as other posters have noted, the game breaks in so many hilarious ways that no two LPs are the same. Boom is less fundamentally broken on a base level but is obviously still a huge piece of poo poo.

I guess what I'm trying to say is

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
I want everyone to know I had rendered episode 2 but I left the option to "allow source video to adjust framerate" by mistake and it went to like 17 FPS because apparently that was the most common framerate.
I wish I was loving kidding.

E:lets try this bullshit again

TieTuesday fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 25, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think the biggest problem with Sonic games is that they constantly kept trying new poo poo instead of sticking with something and trying to grind down all the sharp flawed edges and having something decent. Remember the Chao Garden? I still miss that. The most recent game they've made that they kinda haven't hosed up the most is the racing one with everyone in cars and even that has the problem of all the items being super generic.

Making Knuckles into Kelso from That '70s Show is hilarious though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Does the game at least have okay/not bad music? I remember the Runbutton LP of Lost World had one positive thing, the music for some levels was okay/nice.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PhazonLink posted:

Does the game at least have okay/not bad music? I remember the Runbutton LP of Lost World had one positive thing, the music for some levels was okay/nice.

Nope. Not one single piece of memorable music, which sticks out since even bad Sonic games like 06 and Secret Rings had at least one notable track.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

None which is weird since Richard Jacques worked on the music

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Did you like Sonic the Dark Brotherhood?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Julias posted:

People talk about whether Sonic Boom or 06 are the worse game, but it really just comes down to the details. 06 was a lot more ambitious, which led to a trainwreck of a plot and very buggy gameplay - so much so that there is a certain schadenfreude to watching people play it, and no two walkthroughs that I've seen play out the same (different hangups, glitches, etc.). On the contrary, Boom is set up to advertise the Cartoon, and comes across as being lackluster, and half-hearted about everything. Its cardinal sin is being soulless - it's a boring game, and it just feels like the developers were lazy.

Basically, If the two games were given more time and polish, 06 would be a decent game with a terribly stupid story, and Boom would be a mediocre game with a generic story.

The best analogy I've been able to come up with is that Sonic Boom feels like a bad licensed game, only this time the license is a video game license. Like any licensed game, it just wraps the broadest bullet points of the source material (rings, going fast, robots) around the most baseline possible gameplay. It's pretty much the exact same design process that would go into making a Jimmy Neutron game or something like that.

This game is shovelware in all but marketing, basically.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I had heard people say that the characters never shut up in this game but I had just figured "oh it can't be that bad". But it is. BOUNCE PAD

YeOldeButchere posted:

What sonic fanbase? It sure as hell isn't people like me who played 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles as a kid. I mean, I'm unfortunately aware of a certain demographic that does really like Sonic and friends, but I can't imagine there's enough of them for games like these to be financially viable.

it's me, i'm the sonic fanbase.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 25, 2016

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

YeOldeButchere posted:

What sonic fanbase? It sure as hell isn't people like me who played 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles as a kid. I mean, I'm unfortunately aware of a certain demographic that does really like Sonic and friends, but I can't imagine there's enough of them for games like these to be financially viable.

There's way more than you think, actually.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i can guarantee u the mighty sonic army is more plentiful than those mario motherfuckers

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

On one hand yeah the tape is meant to be like KT tape or prewrap stuff or something, on the other hand that poo poo wont help if you put it on the drat outside of your shoe.

Amy get a drat lifting belt, tape does not help support your back.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

RareAcumen posted:

I think the biggest problem with Sonic games is that they constantly kept trying new poo poo instead of sticking with something and trying to grind down all the sharp flawed edges and having something decent. Remember the Chao Garden? I still miss that. The most recent game they've made that they kinda haven't hosed up the most is the racing one with everyone in cars and even that has the problem of all the items being super generic.

Making Knuckles into Kelso from That '70s Show is hilarious though.

Sonic All Stars Kartsformed is actually a fantastic game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqeJQ8YCsGQ

I have put an inordinate amount of time into it

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

TieTuesday posted:

That's the one with Shadow doing weird melodramatic quotes when he loses, right?

Cause it's fantastic.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
Oh hey part 2 here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdFLkRh_qM8

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

[Sonic Voice] This ain't my first rodeo.

e:

https://a.pomf.cat/kyylsu.webm

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 25, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lol what was the point of that platforming area at the end? You just went in a loop.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TieTuesday posted:

Oh no, I'm not saying that it's a bad game, it's the most recent game that comes to mind that they haven't hosed up is what I mean. Its only flaw is that it has pretty generic items like rocket and boxing glove. And even then that's a pretty small point against them.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

sorry this subtitle just fuckin kills me

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

god does anyone in this game ever shut up for longer than a minute holy poo poo

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Maybe they increased the bark frequency by 2000% late in development to make sure you wouldn't have the 5 seconds to string together the thought "wait a second, this game is terrible"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TieTuesday posted:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I see they took the best elements from Heroes and 2006 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

TieTuesday posted:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0k2MdATVXA0

• Locked thread