Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I can't wait for the continuing adventures of Sanka and his friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizbro
Jul 6, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also I believe the tape is meant to be protective in nature, to stop them from pulling muscles/damaging themselves. It's especially notable on Amy because her tape is meant to stop her from damaging her back swinging the giant hammer she uses as a weapon around. Still looks stupid though.

I think you're giving the designers way too much credit. I really don't think it went any farther then "Do kids think this would look cool? ...sure, why not." During the design process.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I look at Amy Rose's legs flipping the hell out when she climbs a ledge and I think of:

Who would win in an unarmed cage fight, the characters from Sonic Boom: RoL or four playable racers of your choosing from Diddy Kong Racing.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So suddenly we turned into Starfox Adventures 2.0? How many times will this game jump the shark?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can we get this to play constantly over this thread?

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Hostile V posted:

I look at Amy Rose's legs flipping the hell out when she climbs a ledge and I think of:

Who would win in an unarmed cage fight, the characters from Sonic Boom: RoL or four playable racers of your choosing from Diddy Kong Racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7CvjSzV_j8

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
There are rings everywhere. They won't shut up about how much they love collecting rings. YOU ARE CAPPED AT 100 RINGS.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Rings are life, baby!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Why does Knuckles only climb on meatfort walls

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The characters talking is a good evidence of how time issues cannot be the only explanation. A lot of talking could have been not there and the game would have been better for it.

More importantly though, isn't it wonderful how the characters' special abilities are watered down? Sonic's Spindash have a reach of like ten meters and then he reverts to normal speed (the pause glitch can extend it massively though), Tails' flying is reduced to what used to be Knuckle's glide and knuckles in turn has lost his gliding while his climbing has been limited to specific surfaces. Amy's abilities can't be said much about though since she never had an established strength and weakness gameplay wise trough the various games.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
She could turn invisible, for reasons.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Crystalgate posted:

The characters talking is a good evidence of how time issues cannot be the only explanation. A lot of talking could have been not there and the game would have been better for it.

More importantly though, isn't it wonderful how the characters' special abilities are watered down? Sonic's Spindash have a reach of like ten meters and then he reverts to normal speed (the pause glitch can extend it massively though), Tails' flying is reduced to what used to be Knuckle's glide and knuckles in turn has lost his gliding while his climbing has been limited to specific surfaces. Amy's abilities can't be said much about though since she never had an established strength and weakness gameplay wise trough the various games.

She can triple jump which oddly enough makes her the most playable character imo (until we hit gymnastics beams)

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
What I meant is, Amy has wildly varied abilities depending on whether you're playing the Sonic Advance games, Sonic Heroes, Sonic 2006 and possible other Sonic games. This makes her Sonic Boom abilities just different rather than a direct upgrade or downgrade (though you can have your personal preference). This is opposed to say Knuckles who has consistently been able to climb walls and glide which makes it easy to say that his Sonic Boom abilities are a straight downgrade.

Crystalgate fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 25, 2016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

HMS Boromir posted:

Maybe they increased the bark frequency by 2000% late in development to make sure you wouldn't have the 5 seconds to string together the thought "wait a second, this game is terrible"

Ah yes, the "Johnny Test" method of distraction.

*Whipcrack*

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
By far the worst aspect of the game so far seems to be the camera

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I love how there's a puzzle where they want you to raise two platforms so that you can reach a raised grapple point except that you can reach the raised grapple point simply by jumping towards it from the ground so the whole thing is broken and agdvgdhjgsjvgf :suicide:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

inthesto posted:

Why does Knuckles only climb on meatfort walls

It's how he gets his daily protein intake. You can't tell because the graphics aren't good enough to see him chewing while climbing.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Crystalgate posted:

What I meant is, Amy has wildly varied abilities depending on whether you're playing the Sonic Advance games, Sonic Heroes, Sonic 2006 and possible other Sonic games. This makes her Sonic Boom abilities just different rather than a direct upgrade or downgrade (though you can have your personal preference). This is opposed to say Knuckles who has consistently been able to climb walls and glide which makes it easy to say that his Sonic Boom abilities are a straight downgrade.

oh no im just saying in this game she is the most playable and feels the most like the default character. Knuckles feels clunky as gently caress and sonic is an awkward slidey heap with a worthless spindash, and tails is a sluggish mess with a super unsatisfying hover.

Amy just, like, is a normal generic platformer protagonist, making her the most tolerable (again until we hit gymnastics beams oh boy)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
And every character-specific object is color-coded, just like everyone's favorite game, Donkey Kong 64.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Usually when character specific walls are climbable it's footprints or vines or something that makes sense to climb on... for all the characters explaining everything every second they did not say what the gently caress knucks was climbing.

I like the tone the riffing is taking here. Group's clearly still having fun and joking and poo poo for "being full of hate".

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I only got into Sonic 'round time the Dreamcast games got ported to the Gamecube without any experience of Sonic beforehand. Sonic was weird at the time, because they were spread so thinly. I liked Sonic Adventure because of Tails' missions -- like a weird sort of speed-running mode where you'd find as many shortcuts as possible. I thought the main game of Sonic Adventure 2 was merely okay while I absolutely loved the Chao raising afterwards. Things were varied enough so there was probably at least one thing you could claim to like in any given game, even if any given thing was not as good as a full game of just that. It was the early 2000's equivalent of bland triple-A games we started getting 10 years later that would come about as sandboxes with "something for everyone." I think Heroes was the first Sonic game I liked almost every aspect of, but it was the last Sonic game I actually liked in any capacity either.

I think the reason I dropped Sonic later on was because SEGA decided to drop their usual voice actors in favour of 4kids Productions -- which was a very controversial choice at the time since 4kids was not a very popular company by then. Incredibly poor voice direction was the least of their problems. (At a time when it was obvious that voice acting was becoming A Thing for Sonic games, no less.) The choice to outsource something that important to a company known for not being very good at it looked like SEGA wasn't really putting the proper thought into what it was making even then. Then the Shadow the Hedgehog game happened, then Sonic '06, and then... and then... and then...

Can't wait until Vicas gets drunker. Maybe by drowning it out, I can actually scrutinize the game without becoming too annoyed by it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I'd like to point out that in episode 2, Knuckles looks like he's slamming his pelvis into that obviously jagged climbing ceiling whenever he breaks the wall.

TieTuesday posted:

Amy just, like, is a normal generic platformer protagonist, making her the most tolerable (again until we hit gymnastics beams oh boy)

Yo why should we want to see Amy on a gymnastic beam ffs

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I got Sonic 2 in a bundle with the Genesis when I was a small child, and for a long time it was the only video game I had. Between an inability to eyeball distances and an intuitive grasp of physics so poor that it should probably be studied in a lab, it took an entire year for me to be able to beat the Chemical Plant Zone. When I saw that the next level was the Aquatic Hill Zone, I said gently caress Sonic forever. Consequently, I have no emotional investment in this franchise and am happy to watch it burn along with all of the other successful Sega franchises.

welp that's my story, thanks for listening

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Sonic (And Mario) is way better when the characters don't talk, imo.

Nintendo has been extremely smart in never giving Mario any loving dialogue, even in the Mario RPGs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Morroque posted:

I only got into Sonic 'round time the Dreamcast games got ported to the Gamecube without any experience of Sonic beforehand. Sonic was weird at the time, because they were spread so thinly. I liked Sonic Adventure because of Tails' missions -- like a weird sort of speed-running mode where you'd find as many shortcuts as possible. I thought the main game of Sonic Adventure 2 was merely okay while I absolutely loved the Chao raising afterwards. Things were varied enough so there was probably at least one thing you could claim to like in any given game, even if any given thing was not as good as a full game of just that. It was the early 2000's equivalent of bland triple-A games we started getting 10 years later that would come about as sandboxes with "something for everyone." I think Heroes was the first Sonic game I liked almost every aspect of, but it was the last Sonic game I actually liked in any capacity either.

I think the reason I dropped Sonic later on was because SEGA decided to drop their usual voice actors in favour of 4kids Productions -- which was a very controversial choice at the time since 4kids was not a very popular company by then. Incredibly poor voice direction was the least of their problems. (At a time when it was obvious that voice acting was becoming A Thing for Sonic games, no less.) The choice to outsource something that important to a company known for not being very good at it looked like SEGA wasn't really putting the proper thought into what it was making even then. Then the Shadow the Hedgehog game happened, then Sonic '06, and then... and then... and then...

Can't wait until Vicas gets drunker. Maybe by drowning it out, I can actually scrutinize the game without becoming too annoyed by it.

The old voice actors were sooo great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h79QNucv-eE

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rocketlex posted:

And every character-specific object is color-coded, just like everyone's favorite game, Donkey Kong 64.

He has no style
He has no grace
This echidna
Skips leg days!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Sonic (And Mario) is way better when the characters don't talk, imo.

Nintendo has been extremely smart in never giving Mario any loving dialogue, even in the Mario RPGs.
no dialogue other than "wahoo" "yippee" "let'sa go" during proto-parkour that is

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The weird thing about this game is that if Sonic were a completely new property that no one had ever heard of, most of the character designs fit the broad strokes of how I'd design said characters, and yet somehow they don't quite work.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Show is decent and fun. Not amazing but it's fun.

The main thing about the show is there's nothing particularly Sonic the Hedgehog about it. They slapped a crude Sonic skin on Reasonably Entertaining Family-Friendly Sitcom #12. So like, it's not bad, but it wouldn't have been any worse if it had used original characters and been The Adventures of Dongus McPandaburger, a show about a smart-alecky red panda and his friends, a small lizard who invents things, a dimwitted muscular kangaroo, a girl panda, and a quokka who thinks the government is after her teeth, as they fight a rhinoceros who does basically the same thing as the lizard but evil.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

The weird thing about this game is that if Sonic were a completely new property that no one had ever heard of, most of the character designs fit the broad strokes of how I'd design said characters, and yet somehow they don't quite work.

The main thing about the show is there's nothing particularly Sonic the Hedgehog about it. They slapped a crude Sonic skin on Reasonably Entertaining Family-Friendly Sitcom #12. So like, it's not bad, but it wouldn't have been any worse if it had used original characters and been The Adventures of Dongus McPandaburger, a show about a smart-alecky red panda and his friends, a small lizard who invents things, a dimwitted muscular kangaroo, a girl panda, and a quokka who thinks the government is after her teeth, as they fight a rhinoceros who does basically the same thing as the lizard but evil.

This is fitting of Sonic, he is the definition of derivative BUT WITH A TWIST. The twist is still that he goes fast.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dr. Buttass posted:

and a quokka who thinks the government is after her teeth

This is actually something from the show, isn't it :cripes:

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

widespread posted:

Yo why should we want to see Amy on a gymnastic beam ffs

It's possibly the most obnoxious and poorly implemented of the character specific mechanics

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Color Printer posted:

god does anyone in this game ever shut up for longer than a minute holy poo poo

The answer to that question is no. The characters will never shut up.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I LOVE RINGS I NEVER LEAVE A RING BEHIND RINGS ARE GREAT

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
similarly, we will never shut up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Vicas posted:

It's very Gex-esque

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Vicas posted:

but will you ever leave a ring behind????

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Can't have dead air, those kids might change the radio station, tv channel the game.

Also I like the bit about the loading times.

"It can't be worse than 06."

*~20 seconds later*

"06 had loading screens every other min!"

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

TieTuesday posted:

It's possibly the most obnoxious and poorly implemented of the character specific mechanics

As I was trying to see how bad it was (via watching the MDC LP of it), I noticed that there were some branching pathways here and there, specifically how you could be Amy or Knux to get an upcoming MacGuffin.

I'm assuming the game forces you to do the gymnastic bad game mechanic at least once, though?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I LOVE RINGS I NEVER LEAVE A RING BEHIND RINGS ARE GREAT

I MAINLINE RINGS THEY ARE RAD

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Julias posted:

This is actually something from the show, isn't it :cripes:

No, actually, the character on the show is also a feral child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The show's existence is justified with this scene alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mzBjFtcBc

• Locked thread