Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Alright, despite the title, let's get one thing out of the way; this game is not related to Secret of Mana. Some of the game mechanics are similar, such the the ring system and real-time combat, but that's about where it ends.

This game was actually developed in America; the idea came from Japan, originally, but began development in the Washington office. It has some major B-movie (the kind with extra cheese) elements and inspirations, which is partially the idea it was developed with. There are also plenty of references packed into the 24-megabit cartridge, which makes it a hell of a fun game. It saw release in America in October of 1995, and in the PAL regions in February, 1996. Oddly, it never saw a Japanese release, so they finally know how we felt about not getting some great RPGs of the time (I'm looking at you, Live-A-Live and Treasure Hunter G). It's a very solid RPG with very nice graphics, a very interesting main character, a kickass partner, plenty of interesting and engaging NPCs, fascinating locales, and a very fun (if occasionally frustrating) magic system. It's only single player, but there are some multi-player hacks that exist, but I recommend playing this game yourself. It's very solid, easy to get into, and the story is fun and interesting, if a little simple. The music has some good points to it, but I find it a little lacking at the end of the day.

I'm not going to say I'm going to get 100% of everything done in this game; there's a lot of stuff to this game, and I'm not going to guarantee 100% of it all being done. I'll be sure to do as much as I can, but there are some things that are a humongous pain in the rear end to get done, but we'll see a lot of things done here. I'll have videos for the boss fights, as I usually do, and I'll get some .gifs of the good moments, and with that said, let's boogie.

Also, I shouldn't have to say this, but please, as always, NO SPOILERS

Updates

Update One: Outta Of The Bijou, Into The Fire
Update Two: Assume I Said Something About A Clever Girl
Update Three: Fire Eyes Teaches Us How To Flash Folks
Update Four: Into The Bugmuck
Update Five: Thrashing Thraxx
I Missed A Formula: Acid Rain
Update Six: Strong Heart Loves Our Doggie
Update Seven: Sic Semper Evello Mortem Vipera
Update Eight: A Very Little Bit Of Progress
Update Nine: Salabog? More Like Salapunk
Update Ten: It's Getting Hott In Hurr, So Throw Off All Your Spells
Update Eleven: A Series Of Chutes--TO HELL
Update Twelve: Welcome To Crustacia, Where The Punches Are Made Up And The Rogues Don't Matter
Update Thirteen: Secret of Evermore: Canine Drift
Update Fourteen: Holy Christ, I'm Glad I Didn't Screenshot That poo poo
Update Fifteen: A Fuckwit With A Foot In His rear end
Update Sixteen: Click That Tindeck Link, It's Seiren's Favorite Song
I Missed A Formula: Atlas
Update Seventeen: The Great Pyramid Of Crushiza
Update Eighteen: Escapes And Drains And Fireballs, Oh My!
Update Nineteen: York, You Goddamned Dumbshit
Update Twenty: LET'S MEET THE BEST DOGGIE
Update Twenty One: Back Alley Deals, Carnival Shows and Pig Races, Oh My!
Update Twenty Two: It's Amazing! It's Stupendous! It's A Festival Of Fears You'll Never Believe!
Update Twenty Three: This Is Just The Start Of Maze Related Shenanigans
Update Twenty Four: In Which We're Okay With Opening The Road To Mass Murder
Update Twenty Five: Let's Loot And Scoot
Update Twenty Six: I Guess I've Gotta Do This
Update Twenty Seven: And Thus, We Close Out The Forest
Update Twenty Eight: York Is Still a Dumbshit
Update Twenty Nine: Friends In High Places
Update Thirty: Face Off
Update Thirty One: Let's Gauge If We're Wheeling Through
Update Thirty Two: Ask And Ye Shall Receive
Update Thirty Three: Space Station Evermore Valley
Update Thirty Four: Seriously, That's It?
Update Thirty Five: The Final Battle For Evermore
Simply Simon, An Actual Chemist, Explains If The Formulas Are Viable!

.gifatars and Fan Art located here!

We start with Explosionface, who is back to doing his usual thing!

Explosionface posted:

Oh, sure, act like you can boss me around and get some results.

Well, poo poo.

Explosionface posted:

Are you sure that's really Viper Commander?

And of course, the power of Cure forever:

Kheldarn posted:

I couldn't get it to look good with the hat on.

Kheldarn posted:

Happy (belated) birthday, DoubleNegative!

Not a fan of poodles, but as I promised on Twitter, here's the new toot:

Explosionface posted:

I may have been sitting on a couple of these for a while...

The following aren't legal avatars, but they still look cool. A couple stand a chance of making it after a couple of size reduction passes, but it's going to wait for now.

Kheldarn posted:

Sadly, Toaster Dog doesn't lend itself to :toastertoot: as well as the other forms.

Or maybe I just suck, and it's Explosionface's time to shine...

Something Interesting!

Shardix posted:

Yeah, I remember that. I think this got linked as part of the discussion: http://rainwoodworks.blogspot.com/

More about the mysterious Ed Kann: http://whoisedkann.blogspot.com/

There might be some minor spoilers in these, but if you're interested in the game and what it was (allegedly) supposed to be, check 'em out. Hell, check 'em out anyway, as they're pretty neat.

Leave fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update One: Outta Of The Bijou, Into The Fire

I don't have much to say here, folks, so let's just boogie on out.

Squaresoft did a lot of really good RPGs back in the SNES era.

I'm...I'm not sure what I'm looking at here.

And this doesn't clear anything up.

:science:

What do we name our main character? We've got lots of spaces to work with, but keep it to actual letters; I don't want to type out any ?, &, ', or anything like that when I'm typing out this guy's name. We'll do a couple of days for voting, and the name with the most votes is what we'll roll with.

The kid's a bit of a goon, including having a huge love for schlocky B-movies, and this seems like a goony name to start with.

We begin our story in some small town, in some state, in some small county, in America.

And nearly fifty-one years ago. Yeesh.

The Adventures of Loxley, eh?

In case you somehow missed that this is a way long time ago, here's a view of an American Main street way back when. Or if you're not familiar with this view of American culture. My town still kind of has a main street like this, but a lot of the older shops are closed up and not many things survived Wal-Mart and Meijer.

I've gotta say, I don't quite understand the old-school architecture of some places. Why were statues of people so prominent in their design? Is this considered Victorian? I honestly don't know.

I can picture this all too easily being said in a Resident Evil title. The mansion doesn't help things.

Do things in mansions ever end well? Seriously, there's Resident Evil, Clock Tower, Maniac Mansion, Sweet Home, Final Fantasy VII--Mansions seem like pretty terrible places to be in video games, especially if you're not the main character.

I don't have a good link for this one. There's this, but that looks like it sucked.

This Marty McFly lookin'-motherfucker is our protagonist. He's currently named Gregory, but we can change that, can't we?

And that's his dog. He currently has no name, but let's get a new name for the dog, too.

Yeah, he's into B-movies.

I'm willing to bet he's probably done some extensive write-ups on them. Or would, if he lived in today's world with unlimited access to the Internet.

Just imagine his VHS collection. Or his Laserdisc collection. He probably rebought all those titles on DVD, then Bluray, too.

But never mind that, the dog is running off!

Looking at that shop, is anyone else thinking of the bike shop from Diff'rent Strokes?

I don't think you're catching that cat, doggy.

You, uh, you missed completely where it was going.

I know my dog wouldn't go into that mansion, unless there were people there. Or maybe he would have; Tanner's a sweet dog, but he's only about as sharp as a celery stick.

Does it still count as breaking and entering if the door is open? Or is that merely trespassing?

We don't see any of this inside; we're just stuck outside while he and his dog run around this mansion.

I guess it's not a very big--

That's probably not good.

I'm sure Googling that only brings up this game, but I'm not going to risk it. That's someone's fetish, and I don't care to find out how they apply it.

Stop! Don't open that door!

Ah, nobody ever listens to that. Look, he even let the dog in.

Oh, shaddup. I know that's a poor joke; just enjoy the Resident Evil reference.

Don't expect him to stop with the movie references. He's seen waaaay too many.

C'mon, haven't you seen enough movies to know not to say that? Sheesh.

I sometimes don't understand dog's thought process in chewing on things. I've seen my dog take a Chapstick just to gnaw on it, and he didn't even get the cap off or anything. Just chewing on plastic.

:byodood:

No!!

...Well, that's not--

I don't even get--

Well, that's cute. :3:

And he's gone. On the upside, he didn't explode, so maybe he's still okay.

:ohdear:

We might not be.

Must the future; everything looks to be chrome.

Good Lord, he has a chin you could hammer armor on.

Please don't kill us and store things in our body.

Uh, bub, look to--

Ah, now he's noticed him.

I don't even know where we are, man!

: He just told the last guy to pull up his pants and get out of his office. Come along.

: It's no one...No one at all! Continue with your work, Professor.

That was...Odd, but whatever. Maybe the Prof is just absent-minded.

Thank you, Carltron.

Man, butlers have weird names.

Well, this is interesting.

Hey, we've got a health bar.

Not much health, but here's a chest to loot.

Well, heloooooo!

Cool! It's not typical that we get such cool toys in the beginning of an RPG.

Alright, first battle of the game, let's dance.

These enemies can't really hurt us, so we're in no real danger.

You might notice that under our health bar, a percentage is ticking up. That's a major part of the combat system; while not at 100%, we'll do much, much weaker attacks, hitting for a fraction of our usual damage. We can't go swinging around all willy-nilly; we'll have to dodge around enemies while waiting to recharge, otherwise we'll do so little damage, we'll be killed before we can hurt any enemies. There's another caveat to this, but I'll get to that later. Sometimes attacks change, such as shown here; we can only fire the bazooka when at 100%, otherwise we're just using it as a glorified club.

And the bazooka is pretty powerful when it hits an enemy.

Yeah, when I said we do fractions of our usual damage at less than 100%, I wasn't joking. We only did about fifty times more damage here than by just hitting them.

Before long, the other robot is dispatched, and we've won our first battle!

But with the fight won, where do we go from here?

And where the hell is our dog?

How convenient!

As long as it's not trying to eat your face, I think whatever's in here is okay.

Hey, cool! Let's--

:stare:

How much worse could this day get?

...Oh, that much worse.

But, hey, we made it out unscathed! :sugartits:

Though, our bazooka is toast. :eng99:

If nothing else, I want the dog to be okay.

Sweet merciful crap!

I suppose this is our dog...I mean, we saw him shift into this form earlier.

But we'll throw dirt into his eyes to make sure. I guess.

My dog is just awful at fetch. Unless it's with one of his monkey dolls. He'll play with those all day, long after you've gotten tired.

Good Lord, he's in kill mode!

...Is that a bone?

I don't even want to know where he got that from.

But it's our first melee weapon of the game. I'll take it. We might need it.

Let's worry about that next time. For now, I'm taking a break.

And while we're on break, BOLD a vote for the boy's new name and what to name our dog! Take a few days to get it done; we're in no hurry here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh, a SSLP of the one big SNES role playing game that I never played? Great!

I've recently replayed the best Final Fantasy game, so I'm voting Shadow and Interceptor.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's be as America as we can be; we are Jack and our dog is Fido.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The only correct names are Shaggy and Scooby

Also, the mummy, the balloon animal and the chainsaw are references to the lucasarts adventure game Maniac Mansion.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Jonny and Bandit.

Are you going to show off the various glitches?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Leavemywife posted:

In case you somehow missed that this is a way long time ago, here's a view of an American Main street way back when. Or if you're not familiar with this view of American culture. My town still kind of has a main street like this, but a lot of the older shops are closed up and not many things survived Wal-Mart and Meijer.

Yeah, my podunk little town has a mostly functioning one, and it's literally Main Street, but it's only about four blocks total in size. It's actually a pretty big thing in this area to try to keep the old downtown areas intact.

As for names, I usually use my real name since I'm a dork in a little town that references movies constantly, but I'm going to suggest Zack and Bowser

I always liked this game, but there's a mechanic we'll get to shortly that always bugged part of me.

e: vote changed to York and Zach

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 25, 2016

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Bowser and Chain Chomp. (or just Chomp if Chain Chomp won't fit)

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Jake and Bowser.

This is a game I've never played and know nothing about, so I look forward to seeing how the game manages to top an already pretty bizarre opening.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

NewMars posted:

:colbert:

NewMars posted:

Also, the mummy, the balloon animal and the chainsaw are references to the lucasarts adventure game Maniac Mansion.

And the entire sequence of "pushing buttons while out of sight and making things explode" reminds me of the first Monkey Island.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nietzschean posted:

Changing my vote to this:

NewMars posted:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
When I was younger I tried and tried to play this game, but for whatever reason I was never able to progress past this first area. So I'm really curious to see where this game goes!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoubleNegative posted:

When I was younger I tried and tried to play this game, but for whatever reason I was never able to progress past this first area. So I'm really curious to see where this game goes!

The first time I played Ocarina of Time, I was unable to get past the room in the Deku Tree where you have to light a torch with a Deku Stick. The idea that it's a thing I could do never occurred to me, and so there I remained stuck until I just gave up and never touched it again for a long time. Similar thing happened to me with Link to the Past, too, in the desert temple—I could not figure out how to deal with the entrance that has a beamos and a shut door.

Kids can be dumb as hell, and you are not alone. :unsmith:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The beginning of this game is hard as balls, you probably got stuck at one of the no less than three absolute roadblock bosses in the first section. I played the beginning a lot, and I'm glad that I persevered, because man this game owns.

Fun fact: the German translation is sublime; Podunk town is called Großostheim in a wonderful localization effort. It's where Nintendo of Europe used to have their headquarters!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oh man, I love this game!

SMaster777 posted:

Bowser and Chain Chomp get my vote.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Some boy is constantly talking about the movies he's seen? I'm thinking this kid is a York. And of course his best friend is Zack.

Isn't that right, Zack?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Edvarius posted:

Some boy is constantly talking about the movies he's seen? I'm thinking this kid is a York. And of course his best friend is Zack.

Isn't that right, Zack?

:agreed:

I love this game. Getting the hack that lets you do two player fuckin ruled with my bro.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

No story about a boy and his dog is complete without them being literally named Boy and Dog.

No, I'm not going to go check the actual story to see if that's correct. I'm quite confident in the version of reality inside my head.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We all know the greatest guy-and-his-dog adventuring duo are Tintin and Snowy!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Name the boy Pete. Also name the dog Pete. As long as we're gorging on references to TV and movies we might as well have The Adventures of Pete & Pete. :v:

14 year-old me will never stop being annoyed this game had so little in common with Secret of Mana, but I'm hoping current me will be better able to appreciate it now.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Nietzschean posted:

Even though the original poster changed his vote this one gets mine. This game is so good.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Name the dog Bowser. I don't care about the boy's name.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I had an idea to do an LP of this with lots of updates being movie references.
However, I am rather horrible at watching movies so...

Shaggy and Scooby fit surprisingly well.

BlackArtistik
Feb 19, 2011

Finn and Jake

Also, I should actually beat this game someday.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Leavemywife posted:

I'm sure Googling that only brings up this game,

Much to my disappointment. :sigh:

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Leavemywife posted:

I don't have a good link for this one. There's this, but that looks like it sucked.

And also came out 8 years after this game.

I love Secret of Evermore with an irrational love. And I'm voting for Edvarius' idea - name the boy York and the dog Zack.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
I love this game, and I'm glad to see a few other people do, too.

Can you believe this was the first game scored by Jeremy Soule? He was only 19...

I find it very atmospheric.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Names are: Thelma & Louise

Never played this one, so looking forward to this!

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Oh man, Secret of Evermore, full of corny charm. It's a real hard call to say whether I like this or Secret of Mana more.

I will jump on the Shaggy and Scooby :bandwagon:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A weird but really good game with a great (IMO) Jeremy Soule soundtrack.

There's a lot of weird fan theories about this game; namely that a lot of fans think it was originally written to be far more dark/disturbing than it turned out to be. There's some weird stuff to sort of support that but no real hard evidence.

Also it had a pretty interesting, fully animated commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEu8wDAQuDk

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Fabricated posted:

A weird but really good game with a great (IMO) Jeremy Soule soundtrack.

Wasn't this his very first soundtrack, too?

Anyway, I never got past box-cover-boss, so I'll be keeping an eye on this. Good fun!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

BlackArtistik posted:

Finn and Jake

This is one of my top-five favorite games of all time. I played this game to bits when I was a kid.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

SMaster777 posted:

Zach/York

If Bowser and Chomp have no hope near the end I'll switch to Shaggy and Scooby if I remember to edit my post.

Edit: Vote changed to support team Deadly Premonition

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 25, 2016

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Edvarius posted:

Isn't that right, Zack?

This.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Name the Marty McFly lookin-motherfucker Morty and the dog Snowball.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Clearly our protagonist and fine product of the 90s is Dawg, and, well, his faithful hound only responds to "Here Boy", so he made it official.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edvarius posted:

Isn't that right, Zack?

Oh, my god.

Yes. This.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

York and Zach. :3:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Glazius posted:

Clearly our protagonist and fine product of the 90s is Dawg, and, well, his faithful hound only responds to "Here Boy", so he made it official.

I was going to post this but it's already here so I'll just say that I agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Marty and his dog Biff.

• Locked thread