Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

The only way around that problem is continuous piecemeal replacement of individual neurons over a long period to keep the electrical pattern intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

subhuman filth posted:

The only way around that problem is continuous piecemeal replacement of individual neurons over a long period to keep the electrical pattern intact.

Potentially. We have no idea if a human soul can successfully attach to an inorganic thought matrix, however.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the internet is a machine, and its going to outlive all of us. uploading your brain is about becoming software, the ability to copy yourself into a billion places and not be confined by a single device (like a body)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

op you can live forever if you just accept our lord and saviour jesus christ into your heart

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

hemale in pain posted:

op you can live forever if you just accept our lord and saviour jesus christ into your heart

Already done, but I'd like to diversify my immortality prospects.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Download my mind into apple whites dishwasher so I can clean the dishes slightly worst then currently.

Take that fucker!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Saalkin posted:

Download my mind into apple whites dishwasher so I can clean the dishes slightly worst then currently.

Take that fucker!

the joke is on you my wife does the dishes.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Applewhite posted:

the joke is on you my wife does the dishes.

Guess I'm down loading into her instead

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

She is quite experienced at downing my load

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Upload my consciousness into an electronic toothbrush for cats.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Applewhite posted:

Potentially. We have no idea if a human soul can successfully attach to an inorganic thought matrix, however.

since the soul is contained within the neurons and not magic, it most certainly can. what is "organic" after a certain point anyway

the real problem is do you die :|

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Applewhite posted:

what is this sister miriam godwinson failtalk?
"if a soul even exists, whether or not it can attach to an inorganic thought matrix is something you shouldnt think too much about" -the dadgay bible, datalinks

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
i'd probably want to be downloaded into a b-52 stratofortress airframe which have been in action since 1955. sound p. reliable

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
whats that story where to get teleported you actually get evaporated and copied instantaneously so you technically die

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

whats that story where to get teleported you actually get evaporated and copied instantaneously so you technically die

star trek

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The Walrus posted:

stories about things that happen instantaneously:
wel-
the end

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If you download your brain into a computer, you are still going to die as your brain will die, it's just that you've made a copy of your brain. You cease to be, and there is just a copy in your place. Sorry folks, no matter what you do, you just aren't going to be able to escape death. Most peoples' brains probably aren't worth preserving, anyway.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gammatron 64 posted:

If you download your brain into a computer, you are still going to die as your brain will die, it's just that you've made a copy of your brain. You cease to be, and there is just a copy in your place. Sorry folks, no matter what you do, you just aren't going to be able to escape death. Most peoples' brains probably aren't worth preserving, anyway.

You're like that guy that tells everybody that already knows wrestling is fake that wrestling is fake.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
actually op, im going to serve robot masters for eternity as a consciousness in a machine hunting and harvesting 'organics' like yourself

Gammatron 64 posted:

truthers like yourself will be first against the wall

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

King Vidiot posted:

You're like that guy that tells everybody that already knows wrestling is fake that wrestling is fake.

Yeah wrestling is fake but it's also good. Honestly if pro wrestling wasn't fake it would probably be pretty boring. Really cool moves like tombstone piledrivers would paralyze or kill you if done for real. Actual real wrestling is just two guys hugging on a mat which is only really interesting if you're turned on by that

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess my point is that yeah, Copy Me is going to be aware that he's a copy but since he's me, he won't give a poo poo and will go out and bang some 3D anime waifus.

And if there's an eternal soul then the essence of Real Me is going to be reincarnated or in some afterlife or haunting the burnt-out post-apocalyptic shell of Earth and won't care what Copy Me is doing in the singularity.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

you replace 1 neuron at a time with a mechanical equivalent
ship of theseus etc 2000 year old solution for paradoxically turning one thing into a completely different thing

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

you cant upload a soul to the internet any ways

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

Rutibex posted:

star trek

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
We already live in a holographic simulation, just LOL if this is not self evident to everyone. Its all on Exit Mundi, which most longtime Goons have read and learned like the back of their hand. :smug:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
It's easy you just copy over to a better hard drive every 5-10 years just like renewing a driver's license

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
future technologies will likely be better, but we shall see where it goes

anyway op you gotta get down with robots like ray kurzweil and do several hits of DMT and come up with ludicrously optimistic predictions like

"ray kurzweil predicts you can buy ten sexbots for a dollar in 2030" or "ray kurzweil predicts you can rent a lovely apartment located inside the Internet in 2043" or even "ray kurzweil arrested for streaking and being under the influence in 2016"

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

www posted:

upload my consciousness into an anime

www posted:

one of those harem animes

this sounds like a solid plan

anime space tits lol

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

That Robot posted:

this sounds like a solid plan

anime space tits lol

When the singularity comes I will make a 3D model of Space Tits available so people can 3D print her and download their consciousness into her body.

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
lol yeah I want my consciousness in something that can be knocked out with an EMP pulse, ya right I'm going for giant organic blob something between the end of akira and the space fetus in 2001

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

gary oldmans diary posted:

what is this sister miriam godwinson failtalk?
"if a soul even exists, whether or not it can attach to an inorganic thought matrix is something you shouldnt think too much about" -the dadgay bible, datalinks

lol miriam godwinson

"we must dissent" *shrill voice, spooky music* "we must dissent"

I really hope they do a full sequel to alpha centauri

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Oh boy the new scrotum app just came out can't wait to download feeling in my balls again

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

can't wait to lol when these people get infected with a virus that makes them experience an eternity in hell.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Applewhite posted:

lol if you think I want to live for eternity as a giant clock in London.

..just remove that one consonant, and?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

is there pizza in the singularity????

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to implant my consciousness into a Galapagos tortoise

Or maybe one of those protected redwood trees

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

you know now that everyone is a brain box it's even more important to maintain society's gender roles that's why of the three types of electric shock pleasure that I can feel I only use two, cuz I'm a manly man brain box and electric pulse variation 3 just isn't masculine ya know?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
The last episode of Black Mirror was one of the best episodes and it dealt in part with copies of consciousness being tortured with distorted perceptions of time. If they behaved they were relegated to doing housework forever.

It was a good episode

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ChrisHansen posted:

I'm going to implant my consciousness into a Galapagos tortoise

Or maybe one of those protected redwood trees

Now you're thinking smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Lol @ the entire concept of storing human consciousness, human consciousness can't operate in anything that isnt shaped and arranged pretty much exactly like a human brain, including the chemical components

We're an eternity away from trying to Port that to something else, but i guess you could create some sort of chinese room hell-ghost using binary computers?

• Locked thread