Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

LMFAO if you DONT want to upload now and be one of the OLDEST loving consciousnesses recorded FOR ALL OF THE REST OF TIME

dont you wanna be the fuckin wise rear end old sage grandpa of the future

wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
well when my consciousness is conveniently described in fergus_mac_roich.xml and redundantly propagated across the entire cloud it wont matter whether one particular machine breaks down

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
remember the episode of star trek where scotty gets stored in a transporter pattern buffer for 75 years? it'll be like that, except occasionally ill be resurrected in a godlike machine body

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

well when my consciousness is conveniently described in fergus_mac_roich.xml and redundantly propagated across the entire cloud it wont matter whether one particular machine breaks down

I'm already working on a script to replace all your most cherished memories with glistening 4K goatman.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'm already working on a script to replace all your most cherished memories with glistening 4K goatman.

i'll give you a tip: svg is already an xml-like format, and a vectorized goatman would have the advantage of being displayable at any resolution.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can be downloaded into a computer, maybe you can make a copy but your gonna die.

I'm pretty sure my robot copy is gonna kill me too, I mean wouldn't be cool to kill yourself as a robot?

It would be like negative robocop, it would be amazing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i want to stick my dick into a nintendo

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
all these memories of playing video games, being underpaid,
eating literally poisoned food and over paying for every utility that exists in the modern world...will be lost...like tears...in rain

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
and im glad about it

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
It doesn't matter anyway because if you download your consciousness into a machine, it's not you, it's a copy. So when you die, you still die. Makes u think

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
It's kind of like how every Star Trek character has died thousands of agonizing deaths via molecular disassembly, but they don't know it because the copy that gets reassembled on the transporter pad is none the wiser

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

AugmentedVision posted:

It's kind of like how every Star Trek character has died thousands of agonizing deaths via molecular disassembly, but they don't know it because the copy that gets reassembled on the transporter pad is none the wiser
where does your consciousness go when you are put out cold lights out by medical anesthetics or black out drunk?

are you dying every time you go to the dentist or get blotto wasted???

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

numberoneposter posted:

where does your consciousness go when you are put out cold lights out by medical anesthetics or black out drunk?

are you dying every time you go to the dentist or get blotto wasted???

yes

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

the brain is never at rest

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

quote:

And as to you Life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths;
(No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.)

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Lol at the op for forgetting that machines share information.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This was basically the plot of Soma and the interactions between the protagonist and that cold-blooded chick who's totally cool with the whole concept, were freaking hilarious:

Simon: "Hang on, you've COPIED me??? What happens to the other version of me ffs???"

Catherine: "Don't worry, it's cool! We'll just continue with our adventure, while your old version will wake up later, confused and abandoned, in a dark empty habitat with loathsome monsters scratching at the door."

Simon: "WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU"

Catherine: *rolls eyes*

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
first off,

Darkman Fanpage posted:

it would be uploading not downloading

second, immortal machine is probably meant vis a vis "ship of Thesius," where even though parts may be breaking down, they are replaced and the machine remains. in other words, once uploaded parts of whatever hardware you're consciousness is housed within may fail but can be safely replaced. unless Apple is the company making the machines in which case you could have a point

FuhrerHat posted:

LMFAO if you DONT want to upload now and be one of the OLDEST loving consciousnesses recorded FOR ALL OF THE REST OF TIME

dont you wanna be the fuckin wise rear end old sage grandpa of the future

wow

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

hosed up if false

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

we don't know how time works in the machine. ya you might be the "oldest" consciousness by solar cycles but if someone is constantly running their consciousness in a "faster" sim than yours they'll outage you.

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

anyone read Permutation City? whole book's about this poo poo. the author thinks if u live for centuries in a virtual construct you'll just go completely loving insane, which makes sense to me, i mean i can hardly handle mondays let alone millennia of existence

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

you got something against insanity?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

nomadologique posted:

we don't know how time works in the machine. ya you might be the "oldest" consciousness by solar cycles but if someone is constantly running their consciousness in a "faster" sim than yours they'll outage you.
and they head toward the inevitable senility and/or suicidalness faster

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fancy sauces posted:

anyone read Permutation City? whole book's about this poo poo. the author thinks if u live for centuries in a virtual construct you'll just go completely loving insane, which makes sense to me, i mean i can hardly handle mondays let alone millennia of existence

greg egan is fantastically insane and all of his books are super cheap digitally

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Ugh what if the computer is underneath you then is it downloading?

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
What's a Chinese room hell-ghost

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You just transfer from machine to machine op. Did you ever think of that? Who the gently caress cares

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

AugmentedVision posted:

an exact copy is more you than the you one second from now. by your own criteria you are murdered by time every couple femtoseconds to be replaced by actually a very crapy copy. aging (and cancer) is literally the accumulation of duplication errors. you feel like you are continuous, but that's just a memory, kept in patterns of particles which are not in any way the particles that first recorded that pattern and necessarily indistinguishable and identical from the particles making up the rest of the universe

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Laff at all the Luddites in this thread when a brighter more wonderful future is just starting to come into being. Rejoice! The future is now.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I want to fossilize my brain, put it in a super crazy plastic/polymer box and bury it on top of a mountain somewhere. Then when the emperor comes to reunite the imperium, they can hook me up to a sweet rear end servo skull and I can fly around delivering dataslates and poo poo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

chaosbreather posted:

an exact copy is more you than the you one second from now. by your own criteria you are murdered by time every couple femtoseconds to be replaced by actually a very crapy copy. aging (and cancer) is literally the accumulation of duplication errors. you feel like you are continuous, but that's just a memory, kept in patterns of particles which are not in any way the particles that first recorded that pattern and necessarily indistinguishable and identical from the particles making up the rest of the universe

loinburger
Jul 10, 2004
Sweet Sauce Jones
Re the Star Trek "when you're teleported you die and your copy lives on" thing, in the novella "Rogue Moon" they use a teleporter to teleport people to the moon except that the teleporter doesn't disassemble the original you, it just makes a copy of you. The premise is that if they put the original you in a sensory deprivation tank then quantum fuckshit will let the original experience the same stimuli as the copy for an hour or two before the quantum fuckshit breaks down - there's an artifact that's discovered on the moon that horribly kills you for no good reason, so they have a volunteer send copies of himself to the moon and play around with the artifact and die (previous volunteers went insane when they experienced the horrible death of their copy, but this guy is crazy or whatever and doesn't really mind his copies dying in horrible ways). Eventually his copy figures out how to get the artifact to not kill him and the quantum fuckshit breaks down, so the copy says to the people on the moon "okay great so I get to go back to Earth now right?" and the people on the moon say "nah we really don't have a way to send you back plus it would be weird to have two of you on Earth, so we suggest that you just pull off your space helmet and die." The end, I hope you enjoyed my lovely retelling of the story.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
at my death i plan to be downloaded onto my trusty pager

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
theres an episode of tng where barclay has continuous visual information while being transported and even encounters another creature in the matter stream

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's a great live action take on that image

Blockade posted:

Laff at all the Luddites in this thread when a brighter more wonderful future is just starting to come into being. Rejoice! The future is now.

Utopia.jpg

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

theres an episode of tng where barclay has continuous visual information while being transported and even encounters another creature in the matter stream

subbies from subdee.. nooo!!!

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nomadologique posted:

this is my plan, I will run maybe 1000 or so instances of myself at Hyperbolic Time Chamber speeds. have them read every book and learn every fact known to humanity, individually, then reintegrate all of the separate consciousness into a hyper-rutibex hive mind

• Locked thread