Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hello all, I'm curious what the worst year for music was? I was thinking about it and I realized it had to be 1994. It was both the year Kurt Cobain was murdered AND the year Justin Bieber was born. What a lovely trade that was! Not sure what year had the worst songs but it was probably somewhere in the 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Justin Beiber is the reincarnated soul of Kurt Cobain.

Also, music gets worse every year so I guess 2016 is the current worst year for music.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
millennials ruined music for everyone just like they ruin everything else. they are the worst!

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

I remember 2010 being kinda meh for music in general.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I feel like there was a five year period following 9/11 that was just awful and forgettable. Awful meaning the days of Nelly, Creed, Nickelback, Ashlee Simpson, the birth of Linkin Park, Ja Rule ruining rap for years, etc.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

the year i graduated highschool all good music stopped being produced im sure you will all agree

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The mid 80s were mostly garbage.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I like going to giant EDM festivals. I don't anything about the music, I just like the fact my trust fund pays for me to go and take a lot of drugs with a bunch of strangers.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
lol if you're still listening to music in the podcast era

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Macnult posted:

I remember 2010 being kinda meh for music in general.

hey what about
uhh

hmm.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Knight posted:

I feel like there was a five year period following 9/11 that was just awful and forgettable. Awful meaning the days of Nelly, Creed, Nickelback, Ashlee Simpson, the birth of Linkin Park, Ja Rule ruining rap for years, etc.

correct

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
420 AD

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Knight posted:

yes, correct. 2001 through like 2006 was pretty awful.

kids have it good these days.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

wrong

get rich or die tryin came out like a year after 9/11 and shady/aftermath dominated the early 00's

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuGG_FsC20

Or maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSD4vsh1zDA

raton fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 23, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

whichever year this was the no1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRenOZQMbHo

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Look at this list. Just loving look at it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1986

ButtHate
Sep 26, 2007
The day the music died

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat
Having an FM radio tuned to a classic rock station- every year is the worst year for music. Oh good, they're playing comfortably numb again.

ButtHate
Sep 26, 2007
I mean, that year.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

jBrereton posted:

The mid 80s were mostly garbage.
maybe if you're just looking at the pop charts, but that period was pretty good for metal, hardcore punk, and early rap

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bipolar Transistor posted:

Having an FM radio tuned to a classic rock station- every year is the worst year for music. Oh good, they're playing comfortably numb again.

Eh. Clear Channel owns everything now and listening to FM is just 1 lovely song, then an hour of commercials on every channel you flip to.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
1994 saw the release of NIN's the Downward Spiral, Weezer's blue album and the Tragically Hip's Day for Night.
It was the best year musically.
Cobain's death and bieber's birth are both tragedies but not what defined the time for me.

Whatever year Creed and Evenacance and Linking park were popular at the same time was the worst year.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Probably every year in ancient Egypt because they just had that one 'nee nee nee nee nee' song. For, like, thousands of years.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What year did Nirvana release their first album?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Volume posted:

What year did Nirvana release their first album?
EP was '89, LP was '91

something like that

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
I have a good feeling about 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
well jerry died in '95, so...

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
325 bc was one poo poo year for music IMO.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Joking aside, the first year after someone at a record company discovered that your singer didn't actually need any talent, just look good.

Also when the autotuner started being used.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Joking aside, the first year after someone at a record company discovered that your singer didn't actually need any talent, just look good.

Also when the autotuner started being used.

But it was good for business!

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

I looked at it. it appears to be a list of loving rockin jams

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Knight posted:

True. Nu metal and that sort of rap/rock hybrid seemed to go really mainstream and it was awful.

Late 90s were really bad for pop, especially all the crap Latino type music. J-LO, Ricky Martin etc. It was hilarious to see white people dancing to it though.

Aug 4, 2010

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Claven666 posted:

I looked at it. it appears to be a list of loving rockin jams

You and me, we would not get along.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

You gotta problem with Party All The Time by the actor Eddie Murphy pal?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
1986 was pretty awful for any artist that had been around for a decade or more. Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Elton John, Alice Cooper, and a bunch of other established names put out awful albums that year.

Queen's A Kind of Magic is the only major exception that I can think of.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Kurt Cobain killed himself, OP.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Glad to see the thread is generally in agreement that the 2000s were the worst decade for music

Music being really bad at the time had a lot to do with the fact that I got really into classic rock as a teenager (as did the fact that I was a huge nerd)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Kurt Cobain killed himself, OP.

That's what Courtney wants you to think.

• Locked thread