Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Bonzo posted:

Here. This was the only thing I liked about it

Choco1980 posted:

Was coming to post that I think this is probably the only reason this book got written.

I was gonna post that this was the only thing I remembered from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Lodin posted:

Steve Dillon is very good but the dude can only draw like two male faces. His work on Judge Dredd is really confusing because every judge has the same huge rear end chin so he has to draw them from mid chest so you can see the badge.

When he did that variant cover for Scalped with the boss and his main goon, it looked like the White Man gave them blankets infested with Frankface.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Volume posted:

I'm not gonna say that Garth Ennis doesn't write juvenile shock poo poo but I will say that I enjoy reading his juvenile shock poo poo.

Except for Cross. That was just gross.

Yeah, Crossed is a gratuitous vomitorium of sadistic, gory violence and nihilism. The fact that it's readily and openly available on shelves (including Chapters, a Canadian big box book chain), while sexual material is sealed up, covered in brown paper and warning stickers and put behind barriers, is as scathing an indictment of that aspect of our cultural values as anything I can think of.

You look at Garth Ennis' output and wonder if the guy even likes being alive. I can't think of anything he's ever done that wasn't drenched in cynicism.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

The Golden Age was hosed up.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Agent Escalus posted:

Yeah, Crossed is a gratuitous vomitorium of sadistic, gory violence and nihilism. The fact that it's readily and openly available on shelves (including Chapters, a Canadian big box book chain), while sexual material is sealed up, covered in brown paper and warning stickers and put behind barriers, is as scathing an indictment of that aspect of our cultural values as anything I can think of.

You look at Garth Ennis' output and wonder if the guy even likes being alive. I can't think of anything he's ever done that wasn't drenched in cynicism.

Crossed owns, sorry about your sandy female vagina.

Like those wolves in issue five? Those wolves ain't votin no Donald Trump for President.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 26, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

vomitoriums arent actually vomit arenas people

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the new archie book is real fuckin good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Agent Escalus posted:

yo he didn't actually write the majority of crossed, and the bits he did write tend to be more of his usual "what makes a good man" thing but in the rape zombie apocalypse

i work at a shop and we bag up crossed p much every month (ironically, the first issue of ennis' last run didn't need to be bagged) and alphabetic shelving keeps it out of the reach of children anyway

gently caress crossed. fuckin david lapham had to do that poo poo to pay bills instead of being able to keep going on stray bullets. si spurrier! he has to do that poo poo to pay bills.

gently caress crossed

to answer your second question: the end of preacher is p optimistic, also most of hitman

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lodin posted:

Dude, Peter Parker sold his soul to Satan to save his aunt and the whole continuity restarted! Marvel has been rebooted more times than Deadpool changes socks.

nah people just forgot who spider-man was and also he'd never been married. the rest of marvel kept on truckin. they've never done a hard reset like DC, secret wars just gave them a way to stick in bits and pieces from alternate universes that were on their way out and also futz a few things that would have taken too much explanation otherwise

tbh, not much has changed post-secret wars that wasn't already in the works before hand

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lodin posted:

I wonder if Transmet still holds up.

it doens't

idiotsavant posted:

Why do people like Preacher. It is so bad and dumb and just really bad. more like garth weenus.

its like his worst book but there's still a bunch of decent stuff in there. its just not anything to do with the plot. the parts that are all jesse talkin to people about the nature of bein a good person and what is redemption and should everyone get a second chance and can anyone be redeemed etc those are fuckin DOPE

the parts that have to do with the grail and the saint and whatever? fuckin awwwwwful

also its a book about how the idea of a Good Man that the westerns portray, specifically john wayne westerns, is a p fuckin lovely one

there's so much good poo poo in it, but so much awful edgy 90s poo poo to boot

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
HI MY NAME IS DICKEYE I LITERALLY DO NOTHING BUT COMICS, MY JOB IS COMICS, MY HOBBY IS COMICS, ALL I FUCKIN DO IS READ COMICS AND FIND OUT THAT MORE THINGS ON MY BUCKET LIST HAVE GONE INTO PRINT AND GET A BONER

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i got to this part and was like "Welp i doubt this has anything more to offer, I am done-zo"

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Preacher was the GBSest comic until Crossed came along.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I enjoyed Alan Moore's run of Crossed:100 because it was less about murder-rape. Introduced a neat twist on the series at the end.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
wolverine is a girl now and she fukken rules eat it boys

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I like tin tin. And phantom, the ghost who walks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Troposphere posted:

wolverine is a girl now and she fukken rules eat it boys

x-23 owns p hard and im glad shes gettin the spotlight

even if they also have old man logan bummin around doin a preemptive revenge story by jeff lemire

who's also doin moon knight next month? i think? and its gonna RULE

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
bring back wolverine

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I like that Marvel's current strategy is definitely "If we don't own the movie rights to this character we're just going to kill it's popularity with crazy promotional stunts and writer wish-fulfillment stories." And sometimes it actually leads to good poo poo on accident

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Have any comics managed to succeed Calvin and Hobbes yet?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Doctor Soup posted:

Have any comics managed to succeed Calvin and Hobbes yet?

Batman, probably

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
matter-eater lad is a retarded name for a superhero

so his power is that he can't stop eating? I guess he's a HAES promoter :smuggo:

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

that looks like a good comic for an eleven year old

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Wow. Someone has no clue how bullets work.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Network Pesci posted:

Crossed owns, sorry about your sandy female vagina.

Sorry about your bad taste.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

I like comic books tbh

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Windows 98 posted:

I like comic books tbh

lmbo

cat toy seals the deal

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i heard that new batman/superman comic is going to be ridiculously sliced but thats what i hear could be a bust

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Booblord Zagats posted:

I like that Marvel's current strategy is definitely "If we don't own the movie rights to this character we're just going to kill it's popularity with crazy promotional stunts and writer wish-fulfillment stories." And sometimes it actually leads to good poo poo on accident

but i mean

they haven't?

fantastic four got the ax because there hasn't been a good FF book in years and hickman had a good way to write them out for a bit, x-men are still a Thing even tho marvel is trying to push the inhumans so they can groom audiences to accept them in movies, daredevil's been great consistently for YEARS, and wolverine has two ongoings right now, one of which is straight up a revenge story starring wolverine and the other one is about his clone which fits neatly into their embracing the legacy thing, like DC did at one point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Smash it Smash hit posted:

i heard that new batman/superman comic is going to be ridiculously sliced but thats what i hear could be a bust

Stop trying to make sliced happen

• Locked thread