Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

DOOP posted:

is this game still unplayable garbage on PC?

Experiences vary. I know I still can't play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is there something wrong with the animation in the cutscenes? They look really odd to me, like they're running too slow or something.

Fat Samurai posted:

I laughed out lout at "who taught you to drive" and now everyone is watching at me funny. Hope you're happy.
IDGI. :confused:

double nine posted:

So this annoys me: Batman's whole shtick is supposed to be non-lethal - he'll break every bone in your body but you'll live. Whether you want to is another matter entirely.

But those are rockets your vehicle fires, as in explosives and death and carnage and good old ultra-violence. There is no way you don't kill dozens of people this way yet the narrative still tries to shove the bullshit "no kills" down your throat like it's the latest treat. It pisses me off - go non-lethal or just forget the whole "no kills" and go full-hog murder. This middle ground is just annoying.
This series is incredibly dumb about the no killing thing. Like, crack a man's skull and leave him unconscious in the snow... he's fine, it's fine, some of his buddies probably stopped by a few minutes later to drive him to the hospital, he's fine.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

I am amused how little Ivy bothers resisting batman.

She hasn't even really committed any crimes this time around, other than ripping apart one of the goons that captured her and that's arguably self defense. Maybe she'll just sit in the nice safe isolation tube until this blows over, and then walk. Yeah. I'm sure that's her plan.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Batman/Bruce Wayne's parents are dead and have been since he was a little kid. :thejoke:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Video not available in Germany :(

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

TCat posted:

The problem is people that write and create Batman stuff while hammering that in don't actually take into account what would be lethal because they're too busy doing the cool way out of laziness. If Batman had a helicopter with a gatling gun he'd load it up with like rounds that he could shoot the street with to cause some kind of sticky fluid and stop a truck, not just plain normal rear end bullets. But because Frank Miller made a gritty what if future where he's an angry hermit coming out retirement using sniper rifles and killing people because he has no choice, everyone is like "well gently caress it then, let's just put a sticker that says I don't kill on it then just throw normal poo poo in there, nobody will notice". So what you get is instead of Batman, the loving Punisher if he had a delusional complex where he said "nah they just became unconscious", and considering even the 90s Spider-Man cartoon version of Punisher with laser weapons because Normal Guns and Death is censored....still tried to kill people and admit to it, so that makes the Batman thing even stupider.

And this immediately brings this to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Nuramor posted:

Video not available in Germany :(

I have to assume it's because of GEMA. The opening strains have a portion of Frank Sinatra and there's a bit of copyrighted music later as well. I'm currently living in Germany and I can probably watch it because it's my video :v: Let me see what I can do once I get home from work.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Replace the audio with a midi of a Frank Sinatra song.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjLODPPLWk

Ok it's not I've Got You Under My Skin or really even close to Arkham Knight in any way at all, but I felt the need to share this because I just found out there is an entire subgenre of 8-bit Frank Sinatra songs.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Maybe I'll just do what that guy who got a copyright claim on a Guitar Hero FC run of Bark At The Moon did. But with karaoke!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

dscruffy1 posted:

Maybe I'll just do what that guy who got a copyright claim on a Guitar Hero FC run of Bark At The Moon did. But with karaoke!

Yes. Yes, please do. :D

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure there's an entire subgenre of 8-bit everything if you look hard enough, CJacobs. Apparently It's a popular passtime on Youtube.

I have expounded in Scruffy's previous Arkham threads, among others, why I do not particularly care for the Arkham games. I shan't bore you all again going into it at length, but I have to agree with TCat--the hand-waving of crap which would be lethal to Batman's enemies in any other piece of media (and in fact, in real life) by just saying "it's okay, because Batman doesn't kill people" gets taken to ridiculous extremes in this game. I don't know why that shatters my suspension of disbelief when the woman who's part plant and the guy whose body temperature is below freezing and the man made of sentient clay do not, but it does.

Maybe it's because that's like the one goddamn thing Rocksteady never bothers putting effort into justifying. Not even a throw-away line about Batman calling EMTs to pick up the people he leaves broken and bleeding in the freezing Gotham streets. It's just "nope, it was non-lethal, go about your business."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

radintorov posted:

Batman/Bruce Wayne's parents are dead and have been since he was a little kid. :thejoke:
Um, yeah? Is "your parents are always the people who teach you to drive" a thing? :confused:

KieranWalker posted:

I have to agree with TCat--the hand-waving of crap which would be lethal to Batman's enemies in any other piece of media (and in fact, in real life) by just saying "it's okay, because Batman doesn't kill people" gets taken to ridiculous extremes in this game. I don't know why that shatters my suspension of disbelief when the woman who's part plant and the guy whose body temperature is below freezing and the man made of sentient clay do not, but it does.
It's because the super-powers are explained in the story. We know that people with those powers can't exist in real life, but the story gives a reason for why they can exist in this universe. It doesn't have to be a good reason, we just need something to tell us why this person is not normal. But the regular criminals supposedly are normal people and we're not given any reason to explain how they manage to survive things that should kill normal people. When the story says "This guy survived falling off a building because of super-science/magic/whatever" we go "OK, that's the reason." When that reason is absent it makes us question it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Um, yeah? Is "your parents are always the people who teach you to drive" a thing? :confused:

It's because the super-powers are explained in the story. We know that people with those powers can't exist in real life, but the story gives a reason for why they can exist in this universe. It doesn't have to be a good reason, we just need something to tell us why this person is not normal. But the regular criminals supposedly are normal people and we're not given any reason to explain how they manage to survive things that should kill normal people. When the story says "This guy survived falling off a building because of super-science/magic/whatever" we go "OK, that's the reason." When that reason is absent it makes us question it.

Learning to drive from your parents is frequently a thing but not always, no. I think the "not his parents" thing just tickled a few funny bones, which is okay! It's also okay to not get a kick out of it!

Some things that crop up in this game are less "they managed to survive" and more "this was a poor decision with an unexpected outcome". It will be demonstrated later, and I am so excited!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally think that when you get in the car you should get a city-wide radio message from a crime boss to get in doors because Batman is out driving. Thus you don't run into the running over people problem because all the crooks have hidden in doors, the car chasing still gets awkward but the tank drones work pretty well in theory. Honestly I think the car and tank are both really well designed, some of the later challenges for both are pretty awful at times but it's never unfairly so.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Lord_Magmar posted:

I personally think that when you get in the car you should get a city-wide radio message from a crime boss to get in doors because Batman is out driving. Thus you don't run into the running over people problem because all the crooks have hidden in doors, the car chasing still gets awkward but the tank drones work pretty well in theory.

I could get this, but one of the complaints about Arkham Origins is that the city is practically deserted despite being so big. It made sense in Arkham City since the area was walled off for prisoners only, but Arkham Origins was still "hey people live here". Their excuse was HEY IT'S A BIG BLIZZARD NORMAL PEOPLE ARE INSIDE but still. Personally I like having the mooks out and about and rioting, it fits thematically within the game and makes the city actually feel like something is going on, everything is going to hell.

I can't think of a better way to figure out hitting people with the car though. People would complain if you couldn't do it at all, guaranteed. The games have always required a suspension of disbelief, like throwing mooks into the bottomless pits of Arkham Asylum or leaving them facedown in the snow with severe injuries in Arkham City/Origins. At a certain point you just have to accept it and laugh when someone is clearly probably dead. This will come up in the next video!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's just like Deus Ex, where you could deal with people using a non-lethal weapon then chuck their unconscious body face down in the water or into a room full of poison gas and all was still fine.

I mean, they were alive when you neutralized them, so everything else doesn't count.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's just like Deus Ex, where you could deal with people using a non-lethal weapon then chuck their unconscious body face down in the water or into a room full of poison gas and all was still fine.
Fairly sure DX tracked the bodies' status even after they got knocked unconscious so that'd destroy your non-lethal rating. Admittedly, it only counts for the first couple of missions.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I mean, they were alive when you neutralized them, so everything else doesn't count.

DXHR had something similar, if you knocked someone out but they didn't land right or something happened to their body afterwards they'd be flagged as dead.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It has been a while since I last played the original, but I don't recall Paul having an issue with me tazing or tranquilizing the NSF then throwing everyone into the Upper Bay. He does get angry if you lure one of the bots away the dock and have it start rampaging across the island though or if you let Gunther start executing everyone you missed on your way in.

But, switching back to Batman for a moment, it's almost more sadistic that he doesn't finish people off. Think of the quality of live all these criminals must now have after you've shattered most of their limbs; the constant pain and limping they'll have to live with and how many of them have suffered irreversible brain damage. That's probably also a considerable burden on Gotham's social services since they now need to support all these crippled people as they recover and can no longer properly care for themselves. I doubt many of them had health insurance.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I like how every single Arkham thread descends into the "Batman shall not kill, but he actually kills" discussion within the first page :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I forgot to ask: are we supposed to know who the narrator of the opening is? I'd assume on Batman or Gordon but it honestly doesn't sound like either. Maybe Cash?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I wanted to like Arkham Knight, I really did. Parts of it were just as enjoyable as the previous games. However, I wasn't a fan of the new gameplay stuff. Pretty much everyone's complained about the Batmobile already so I'm not gonna go there (although I'll say I genuinely enjoyed driving the car around Gotham), but even the melee combat felt wrong somehow. Someone mentioned the targeting being wonky at times, and I also had that experience -- I'm pushing the stick in the direction of the most threatening enemy that I'm trying to prioritize, but Batman says "gently caress that" and decides to leap the opposite way to clobber some random baseball bat wielding guy. Or jump right into one of the enemies you can't punch.

That kind of thing happened quite often for me, and it was really irritating. Yes, :gitgud: and all that, but I don't think this is a case of user error. I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty mediocre at Arkham combat, but even I usually manage to push the stick in the right direction.

There were other things that bothered me as well, but those won't come up until much later so I won't talk about them quite yet. Arkham Knight certainly isn't a bad game and it's still better than Origins, but to me it was quite a big disappointment. Maybe I expected too much.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, I forgot to ask: are we supposed to know who the narrator of the opening is? I'd assume on Batman or Gordon but it honestly doesn't sound like either. Maybe Cash?

It's Gordon.

The voice actor is Jonathan Banks (Mike Ehrmantraut from Breaking Bad).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The stuff that cares about deaths in Deus Ex is all out-of-character though, isn't it? It's just a gameplay challenge thing.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

But, switching back to Batman for a moment, it's almost more sadistic that he doesn't finish people off. Think of the quality of live all these criminals must now have after you've shattered most of their limbs; the constant pain and limping they'll have to live with and how many of them have suffered irreversible brain damage. That's probably also a considerable burden on Gotham's social services since they now need to support all these crippled people as they recover and can no longer properly care for themselves. I doubt many of them had health insurance.
Relatedly, why the gently caress is there anyone still living in Gotham? The regular people should have been leaving en masse since before Batman appeared and even if the city was abandoned to the criminals they should have left too when there was no one left for them to oppress. Even if people stayed, it's long past the point when much more serious measures should have been taken, like sending the military in to deal with the insurgents and rebels within this city.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I like how every single Arkham thread descends into the "Batman shall not kill, but he actually kills" discussion within the first page :v:
Well, these games are really dumb, and take themselves super seriously. :shrug:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I haven't played this game or know anything about it, so this shouldn't count as a spoiler, but what's the over-under on the Joker coming back to cackle at us once again?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I haven't played this game or know anything about it, so this shouldn't count as a spoiler, but what's the over-under on the Joker coming back to cackle at us once again?

It's an Arkham game, so the Joker is obviously the main villain, because he always loving is.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Well he was just cremated but on the other hand we have Scarecrow running around so chances are pretty much 100% that we'll have a Joker-related hallucination.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

The stuff that cares about deaths in Deus Ex is all out-of-character though, isn't it? It's just a gameplay challenge thing.
You get some extra stuff if you're non-lethal while working for UNATCO. And dumping unconscious people into watter breaks it.

Anyway, I'm currently playing this and really fighting with the controls. I beat the previous three games on keyboard and mouse just fine but here some choices are mind-boggling - alt + 1-4 for special takedowns, crouch + stun (as opposed to jump as it was before) for using grates.
There also seems way too loving much Batmobile content. Ah well, at least they brought back the riddles.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We already dealt with a Joker body double in City, I wouldn't put it past him to be pulling a Revolver Ocelot triple ruse cruise.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Nuramor posted:

Yes. Yes, please do. :D

Good news, sufferers of GEMA everywhere! I've made a copy of the first video, but it's got me singing instead of Frank Sinatra.

GEMA Approved!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

or Kaubocks and Panzerskank in their Saints Row 2 LP

dscruffy1 posted:

Good news, sufferers of GEMA everywhere! I've made a copy of the first video, but it's got me singing instead of Frank Sinatra.

GEMA Approved!
sorry you had to deal with copyright issues, but I can't say I'm not enjoying the result

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I take it you either don't drive or live outside of America because your parents teaching you to drive is a thing ingrained in the American public thanks to shows like "Growing Pains", "Full House" and any other dumb family comedy.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Relatedly, why the gently caress is there anyone still living in Gotham? The regular people should have been leaving en masse since before Batman appeared and even if the city was abandoned to the criminals they should have left too when there was no one left for them to oppress. Even if people stayed, it's long past the point when much more serious measures should have been taken, like sending the military in to deal with the insurgents and rebels within this city.

Well considering Gotham's whole "built over a madness inducing Lazarus Pit" from Arkham City the residents of Gotham are probably staying put out of insanity.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I take it you either don't drive or live outside of America because your parents teaching you to drive is a thing ingrained in the American public thanks to shows like "Growing Pains", "Full House" and any other dumb family comedy.

I am a non-American and I confirm that "your parents taught you to drive" is not a thing outside of the US. At all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

I am a non-American and I confirm that "your parents taught you to drive" is not a thing outside of the US. At all.
It's actually a really good way for them to get their driving licenses revoked, yeah.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Driving school isn't mandatory in the US, so for us you've got to learn somewhere. I was surprised with how many driving schools I've run into since I got to Germany.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

It's actually a really good way for them to get their driving licenses revoked, yeah.

Really? That's fascinating. Where is this?

I'm Canadian, and "parents teach you how to drive" is pretty normal here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

biosterous posted:

Really? That's fascinating. Where is this?
I'm Czech. Learning to drive isn't mandatory but if you decide to, you have to do so with a proper certified instructor; I believe it's like this in most of Europe. Getting caught without the papers - for the instructor and you both - is generally a really bad idea because traffic cops here love taking licenses.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Driving school isn't mandatory in the US, so for us you've got to learn somewhere. I was surprised with how many driving schools I've run into since I got to Germany.
It varies from state to state? My high school (in Delaware) had a mandatory driver's education class, but they only trained us on automatic transmission vehicles, so it was in fact up to my parents to teach me how to drive a manual transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Keep in mind this isn't hey little Johny hop in the car it is time to learn how to drive. You do have to be certified that you know the basics enough to get a learners permit.
That does raise a question. If you are of the age of majority do you have to go through driving school or can you just take the qualification/certification tests?

• Locked thread