Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

A Death of Superman game, where you play all four of the replacements, would be great.

Although that'd just be Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions.

There...was one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_and_Return_of_Superman

e: update on the bottom of the last page

dscruffy1 posted:

Fun fact: they're called Slam Rounds in game!

Anyway it's time to start getting busy (doing sidequests)

A Busy Night/Polsy

New profiles: The Riddler, Jack Ryder, Lucius Fox

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Yessss I've been waiting for this LP

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I keep thinking you open up the videos with "Good evening, catamites". Admittedly, my vocubulary is a bit on the weird side, but - am I the only one?
More on topic, I loving love the environmental takedowns. I'm not exactly a Batman fan so the whole "lethal or not" thing doesn't really bother me, but everyone should channel their inner Wei Shen once in a while.

e: VVV I know, it's just... the second thing that pops up.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 25, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
He's saying "Gothamites"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jack Ryder is looking mighty pouty there. Is he practicing his Blue Steel?

E: The Gray Ghost was also the focus of the greatest B:tAS episode. But you knew that already, true Bat-Fans!

Philippe fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 25, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like how the Riddler's design has varied so loving wildly through games in the series. First he was traditional green suit and bowler hat, then a hipster, and now he's a mechanic that listens to Jimmy Buffet.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I like how he's going fully unhinged by losing more articles of clothing because gently caress it, gotta plan revenge on that cheater. In another year of fighting batman he'd probably be losing chunks of his hair, teeth would be falling out, he'd be hooked up to life support machines because he doesn't even loving have time to go the bathroom. Bats gotta be put in their place! No eating, no sleeping, no nothing until the right plan works.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just love the question mark Hawaiian shirt.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The question is whether he's wearing pants in these broadcasts.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Riddler's stink lines of mystery were my favorite part of the promo art.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Waffleman_ posted:

I like how the Riddler's design has varied so loving wildly through games in the series. First he was traditional green suit and bowler hat, then a hipster, and now he's a mechanic that listens to Jimmy Buffet.
If he'd gone back to the suit and bowler hat and was otherwise portrayed as he is in this game, it'd be a Definitive Depiction of the Riddler, imo. That said, the mellowed-out shirt and, I presume, some form of shorts-wearing Riddler is pretty good too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That brings me to something: are the Riddler's broadcasts live? Does he add the audiovisual distortions personally, as a signature, or is it a function of the broadcast?

And yeah, he's definitely just in sweats beneath that shirt.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/shamusyoung/status/698415231727497218

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What is the Riddler even trying to do here? How is a racetrack meant to show his superiority? They are certainly impressive though.
Are we to take that he and sanity are on even less speaking terms than usual after Asylum and City?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Waffleman_ posted:

I just love the question mark Hawaiian shirt.

Honestly? I kinda want one.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Omobono posted:

What is the Riddler even trying to do here? How is a racetrack meant to show his superiority? They are certainly impressive though.
Are we to take that he and sanity are on even less speaking terms than usual after Asylum and City?

At this point Sanity has a restraining order.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Omobono posted:

"Batman has a new car?! I'll design an adaptive racetrack even he can't drive through!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, if Batman can read an inscription on a wedding ring that's inside a dude's large intestine, that's kinda it. He can do anything.

Edit: WHY DID HE EAT THE WEDDING RING. Why did he not just sell it? This is only gonna cause him pain and greatly reduce the resale value.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Why was the cop giving the speech at the beginning of the video telling everyone there they had the chance to evacuate but didn't? Isn't their job to uphold the law, arrest people who are breaking it and protect civilians? Yeah, they're doing a poo poo job of it but maybe if they stuck around long enough to do some good the city wouldn't have fallen apart as fast as it did.

"Hey guys, thanks for staying to do your job and not running off like a coward like the rest. Good on ya!"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

At this point I think the only explanation is that Bruce Wayne is bankrolling the Riddler and that's why all these riddles are specifically tailored to him and his equipment, to keep him sharp.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

bewilderment posted:

At this point I think the only explanation is that Bruce Wayne is bankrolling the Riddler and that's why all these riddles are specifically tailored to him and his equipment, to keep him sharp.

That makes way too much sense. Like software companies hire hackers as "security consultants" or whatever buzz they want.

Instead of white or black, its a green hat.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Oh man, you're finally doing this game and I'm not going to completely miss the LP like I did with Origins.

I have so many loving complaints about this game, as I'm sure most people do. There's pieces of a really strong game here, and then it just shits all over it.

Crabtree posted:

I like how he's going fully unhinged by losing more articles of clothing because gently caress it, gotta plan revenge on that cheater. In another year of fighting batman he'd probably be losing chunks of his hair, teeth would be falling out, he'd be hooked up to life support machines because he doesn't even loving have time to go the bathroom. Bats gotta be put in their place! No eating, no sleeping, no nothing until the right plan works.

Nah, I think he'd just be dead. He's already not eating, not sleeping, not taking care of himself at all. One thing I do actually like about this game is that for all of the villains, it really feels like their last chance. There's nowhere else to go from here - they're either going to kill him tonight or they're done. I'll elaborate more on that later when we get some more story details.

Edit - I'm disappointed in you for not getting the REC immediately.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 26, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Has Jack Ryder as Creeper ever showed up in these games?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually really like the slow degradation of the Riddler over the games. It feels very cathartic that every game this jackass who makes you hunt down trophies all over the place and bend over backwards to solve his silly little visual riddles gets more and more desperate to have something you finally cannot complete.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Scaramouche posted:

Has Jack Ryder as Creeper ever showed up in these games?

No, and in fact Arkham Knight marks the first time where his bio doesn't even mention the Creeper so they apparently gave up on that ever being a plot point.

Edit - Nope, I'm wrong, his AC bio doesn't mention it either. His AA bio did though.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 26, 2016

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

JT Jag posted:

If he'd gone back to the suit and bowler hat and was otherwise portrayed as he is in this game, it'd be a Definitive Depiction of the Riddler, imo. That said, the mellowed-out shirt and, I presume, some form of shorts-wearing Riddler is pretty good too.

As much as I really, really don't want to like the visual style of the Riddler in this game...I have to agree with you on both counts. It also shows how they keep getting better at the Riddler as a character during the games in more than a "Sidequests Ahoy!" scapegoat.

On the note of the movie poster for "A Ghost in Gray", is that specific poster lifted straight from Batman: The Animated Series? The art style reminds me of the episode on how the Gray Ghost was important to Batman's upbringing so much. Would be a nice additional callout if its the exact same poster.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, if Batman can read an inscription on a wedding ring that's inside a dude's large intestine, that's kinda it. He can do anything.

Edit: WHY DID HE EAT THE WEDDING RING. Why did he not just sell it? This is only gonna cause him pain and greatly reduce the resale value.

I'm guessing the killer made him eat the ring or something. I doubt it was voluntary.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

biosterous posted:

I'm guessing the killer made him eat the ring or something. I doubt it was voluntary.

If the killer made him eat the ring, he'd be dead before it could get to his large intestine.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Huh, good point.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Polaron posted:

Plus City had Solomon Grundy, who I'm pretty sure tends to be more of a Superman villain.

And anyone who thinks Superman is boring hasn't read the correct Superman stories :colbert:

I think Grundy was originally a Green Lantern antagonist. Something about his time in the swamp making him just wood-like enough that Alan Scott had a hard time dealing with him.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Waffleman_ posted:

If the killer made him eat the ring, he'd be dead before it could get to his large intestine.

well looking at what batman does to people "nonlethally" in this world, I just assume arkham game people could survive eating a ring and in general are nearly indestructible.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Omobono posted:

Actually, he does explain that later. Most of his (non-trophy) challenges require the car to complete, so he needs to know what it's capable of. This was basically just a test to get some data on the Batmobile.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Ooo! How cool... just noticed this LP of yours, as I was going into NOLF withdrawal. I'm terrible at these games, and don't know much about the comics, but I do love to watch them LP'd. (And I'm so glad I listened to you singing)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Apparently the insane cop and the dialogue the other cops have of him are different depending on whether you avoided shooting anyone during the diner hallucination. But hell, most people's immediate reaction to zombies is blasting away, so...

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
What makes Superman great is not that he punches men so hard, it's the ideal he represents. He's truth, justice and the American way, he's inspiring people to rise above, he's telling us we're much stronger than we think.

That, to me, is where the appeal comes from. Not from seeing Superman throw Punch Ironfist through an apartment complex before they wrestle through five elementary schools. Not from choosing between two terrible decisions where neither means "winning". If the point of a story is that Superman can't win, it's a bad story.

But inspiring people is probably harder to put in an action-oriented game. Maybe not impossible, but with DC's recent track record with Superman I'm not sure I trust them to make the Superman game I want to see :sigh:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I guess he suffers from the Captain America syndrome then - because that sounds really loving stupid to people outside the US.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

That doesn't necessary mean the ideals he stands for is a cultural thing, it's just that some of Superman's best writing comes from when his principles are doing the talking instead of his powers - like when he genuinely talks down a criminal from doing the wrong thing instead of just hurling them into a jail cell at the speed of sound.

Batman has a similar thing going where the stories that feature his non-kung fu destruction side resonate more with fans.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

Well, I guess he suffers from the Captain America syndrome then - because that sounds really loving stupid to people outside the US.

Nah, Americans hate Superman just as much as Europeans. He's perfect, flawless (save for a McGuffin found almost everywhere apparently) and nothing that an average human is. You have an easier time connecting with Captain America because at the end of the day, he still bleeds the same blood any human bleeds.

Ergo, people prefer heroes like Captain America and Batman over ones like Superman and Thor because they can connect with a more human character.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Batman is not a human character the way he gets written, and he's far more aggravating than superman. He gets to be a wunderkind who's just naturally the best at everything including things he sucks at, it's canon he mediates a few minutes instead of sleeping and is also abnormally motivated by dead parents power to be able to fight crime nonstop and yet he's still a bullshit "normal human" and plus they make him right about everything.
Plus he never has anything interesting to say, never needs any social contact or levity or anything, he just growls about dead parents and justice and is a complete rear end in a top hat to his closest friends and yet he's still the best leader and the best at understanding people and how they think.
And yet it's superman who's boring.

At the very least batman has to be closer to his fallible animated version than the nerd worshipped batgod in the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

well looking at what batman does to people "nonlethally" in this world, I just assume arkham game people could survive eating a ring and in general are nearly indestructible.

Same here! In a universe where a man whose drugs can make him gain five hundred pounds of muscle and plantwomen/claymen are just things people deal with when the constantly reanimated zombie isn't being a problem, I don't have trouble believing that people are just much tougher than usual in this world and knocking people out is actually non-lethal.

• Locked thread