Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

This link was p. Good

http://www.someecards.com/news/sochi-olympics/14-images-that-sum-up-why-the-sochi-olympics-are-already-a-disaster/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Shappa posted:

This is totally off the top of my head but I'm fairly certain Vancouver is ok after 2010. No idea if there's any outstanding debt/taxes/stray dogs though.

I think the olympic village got converted into lovely condos, thus contributing to the eventual destruction of it's entire economy when the ridiculous housing bubble finally bursts.

But hey you can spend over half a millions dollars for a converted one bedroom unit that:

Wikipedia posted:

Residents released video documenting major problems with their units, including water pouring out of light fixtures, heat not working, cracks in ceilings, hardwood floors bubbling from moisture and bedrooms too small to fit a bed. More than 60 condo owners at the Village filed a class-action lawsuit against the builder.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

that was sochi? didn't the same thing happen in chinar

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://englishrussia.com/2015/06/25/sochi-the-olympic-city-got-massively-flooded-today/

Sochi has bad drainage.

Greece went bad because of the Olympics some speculate. It was the tipping point.

"But the Olympics broke the bank. Government deficits rose every year after 1999, peaking at 7.5% of GDP in 2004, the year of the Olympics, thanks in large part to the 9 billion euro price tag for the Games. For a relatively small country like Greece, the cost of hosting the Games equaled roughly 5% of the annual GDP of the country."

Oh, and there were a total of six bids which were initially submitted for the 2022 Winter Olympics. Four of those bids were eventually withdrawn by 1 October 2014, citing either the high costs or the lack of local support to host the games, leaving Almaty, Kazakhstan and Beijing, China as the only candidate cities left.

Maybe they should just make one city for the Olympics and call it a day?

edit : china had BSOD

http://gizmodo.com/5035456/blue-screen-of-death-strikes-birds-nest-during-opening-ceremonies-torch-lighting

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 25, 2016

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Sochi is going to look like Pripyat eventually

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Who are these people that care or get pumped for any of the Olympics in any capacity I mean really?

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Lime Tonics posted:

http://englishrussia.com/2015/06/25/sochi-the-olympic-city-got-massively-flooded-today/

Sochi has bad drainage.

Greece went bad because of the Olympics some speculate. It was the tipping point.

"But the Olympics broke the bank. Government deficits rose every year after 1999, peaking at 7.5% of GDP in 2004, the year of the Olympics, thanks in large part to the 9 billion euro price tag for the Games. For a relatively small country like Greece, the cost of hosting the Games equaled roughly 5% of the annual GDP of the country."

Oh, and there were a total of six bids which were initially submitted for the 2022 Winter Olympics. Four of those bids were eventually withdrawn by 1 October 2014, citing either the high costs or the lack of local support to host the games, leaving Almaty, Kazakhstan and Beijing, China as the only candidate cities left.

Maybe they should just make one city for the Olympics and call it a day?

edit : china had BSOD

http://gizmodo.com/5035456/blue-screen-of-death-strikes-birds-nest-during-opening-ceremonies-torch-lighting

Wow. I knew Athens Olympics was a giant waste, but I didnt realize it didnt come any where close to what Sochi cost.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2723515/Athens-Olympics-leave-mixed-legacy-10-years-later.html

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

does being absorbed by majin buu count as doping?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
At least the Sochi Paralympics had this insane bit with Tetris blocks and the Mission Impossible theme. Then then a dude missing both legs climbs a rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNHEYmByqCY

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Prettz posted:

Sochi is going to look like Pripyat eventually

Eh Sochi was a semi-popular resort town even before the Olympics. The dumb part is that it's a summer beach resort place. It'd be like doing Winter Olympics in South Carolina cause "Hey there are mountains (kinda) nearby!"

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
seems like all olympics are actually the special olympics

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Why do they even change the location every time anyway? Wouldn't it make more sense to build a really nice stadium in a convenient place and then reuse it every 4 years? Is the tourism it brings in really that big a deal?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RatHat posted:

Why do they even change the location every time anyway? Wouldn't it make more sense to build a really nice stadium in a convenient place and then reuse it every 4 years? Is the tourism it brings in really that big a deal?

Who will provide IOC execs with truckloads of prostitutes if there's no bidding process every few years?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
To the host country? No. You just end up in a ton of debt from building the thing, and then you get a ton of headaches dealing with the influx of people that your infrastructure probably can't handle.
To the IoC? I'm sure they get a ton of bribe money.

Think about why you hardly see any games in any real countries anymore.
Unless the DoJ goes after the IoC, like they did the FiFa, we may be looking at the shutting down of the Olypmics in our lifetime.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Can someone sum up the Sochi debacle for me

Is tarp.

House is tarp, roof is tarp, car is tarp, dog is tarp, trophy is tarp, snow is tarp. Is tarp yes?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Is not stray rabies dog. Is mascot, da.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They should make a Olympic event out of that brazilian twister game video.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Good news, we may not have seen the last of Sochi. Russia has been provisionally awarded the 2019 European Games, and Sochi is the proposed venue.

If you didn't hear about the first European Games, I'm not surprised. Azerbaijan banned a lot of reporters from attending. Anyway it was colourful and pretty corrupt.

Wikipedia posted:

Most European heads of state and government refused to participate at the opening ceremony

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Here's some pictures of the 2004 Greek Olympic stadiums taken pretty recently. If I didn't know it, I'd say they were taken in Pripyat near Chernobyl.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I lived in beijing just before the olympics, and you could tell when the olympic committee was visiting because the sky was suddenly blue and gorgeous

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Fonzarelli posted:

I lived in beijing just before the olympics, and you could tell when the olympic committee was visiting because the sky was suddenly blue and gorgeous

The babies born around the Beijing Olympics were healthier and on average weighed like an ounce more than the ones born before and after it.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Who are these people that care or get pumped for any of the Olympics in any capacity I mean really?

I enjoy watching the Olympics. A lot of the events are fun and the athletes are impressive. I guess I don't really get 'pumped' for them though. It's pretty funny to watch the whirlwind of chaos and rioting that always consumes the host country.

The Olympics are a really cool idea in theory but it would probably be for the best if they didn't exist anymore. Or maybe just have a complete overhaul of the entire system and IOC and maybe agree to have them in the same place every year. I don't know, it's a giant loving mess every single time which is a shame. You would think the world could do one loving thing together every four years and not have it be a massive disaster.

E: actually if you thought that you would be pretty dumb and naive. But humanity should be able to do one single cooperative thing together, goddamnit.

Two Free Toppings fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 25, 2016

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Did they make any cybersports olympics sports yet? I mean old venerable games like counter-strike or unreal tournament?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Peebla posted:

I enjoy watching the Olympics. A lot of the events are fun and the athletes are impressive. I guess I don't really get 'pumped' for them though. It's pretty funny to watch the whirlwind of chaos and rioting that always consumes the host country.

The Olympics are a really cool idea in theory but it would probably be for the best if they didn't exist anymore. Or maybe just have a complete overhaul of the entire system and IOC and maybe agree to have them in the same place every year. I don't know, it's a giant loving mess every single time which is a shame. You would think the world could do one loving thing together every four years and not have it be a massive disaster.

E: actually if you thought that you would be pretty dumb and naive. But humanity should be able to do one single cooperative thing together, goddamnit.

This petty much sums up how I feel about the Olympics.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/2/17/5419252/2014-sochi-olympics-cat-falls-through-ceiling-video

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I know that Sochi was hilarious and everything and Rio looks like a literal death trap in the making but was London 2012 considered shambolic too? As far as I remember it, everyone seemed pretty happy with the whole thing generally. It might just be that our press whitewashed it all for us here or something but if they were to suddenly switch venue back to London again because Rio is literally dangerous I get the feeling that people wouldn't complain that badly...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sekenr posted:

Did they make any cybersports olympics sports yet? I mean old venerable games like counter-strike or unreal tournament?

Give it time, they made Halo 5 part of the Winter X-Games this year.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fojar38 posted:

the ioc is basically a bunch of pampered old world nobility who demand incredibly dumb bourgeouis poo poo for themselves at the expense of the host nation and for some reason nobody wants to host the olympics anymore except for despotic shitholes that run on slave labor

2022 Winter Olympics came down to Beijing or Kazakhstan.

There is no snow on the mountain China wants to use, and the average snow in the deepest winter in the area is 1 cm.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Fonzarelli posted:

Didn't the IOC basically force all coal-burning factories to cease operations during the olympics? That's probably why.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bradzilla posted:

Didn't the IOC basically force all coal-burning factories to cease operations during the olympics? That's probably why.

No that was the chinese government. They also banned half of all cars from driving

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

FiftySeven posted:

I know that Sochi was hilarious and everything and Rio looks like a literal death trap in the making but was London 2012 considered shambolic too? As far as I remember it, everyone seemed pretty happy with the whole thing generally. It might just be that our press whitewashed it all for us here or something but if they were to suddenly switch venue back to London again because Rio is literally dangerous I get the feeling that people wouldn't complain that badly...

London was OK because who does London have to impress? It's already a world-class metropolis full of white people. It's one of the top 5 cities of the world (you can argue the order of spots 2-5, but London would be one of them) and it already has most of the poo poo the Olympics needs like airports, clean running water, electricity, roads, etc. They also spent like 1/50th of what they spent for Sochi, so the people of London were like "ehhh, g'day mate" or whatever.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i heard vancouver didnt lose money, i went to it and had a good time thanks for listening

typign this out reminded me of the luging dude who flew off the track and died lmao

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

FiftySeven posted:

I know that Sochi was hilarious and everything and Rio looks like a literal death trap in the making but was London 2012 considered shambolic too?
We literally had to draft the army in to do security because G4S hosed up so badly.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Watching shithole countries prepare for the Olympics is like watching a hoarder prepare for their in-laws visiting for Christmas.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm curious as to how Beijing got it twice.

Has any other city hosted both summer and winter?

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
I think Canada would be the perfect country to install a permanent winter/summer Olympics facility.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Frosted Flake posted:

Has any other city hosted both summer and winter?

The secret is giant bribes

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

The secret is giant bribes

And a complete lack of interest from actual cities.

• Locked thread