Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lmao when the beareded guy really pushed him over I felt like the robot getting up slowly to beat his loving rear end. last straw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I think you're right: the show was never really that great to begin with, but I watched the first couple seasons and gave up at the end of Season 2 because it was too bad to even ironically watch.

I watched last seasons finale because my sister-in-law had it on and couldn't believe how bad it had become- the budget cuts are embarrassingly present in every single shot.

The show is mega popular though, I like to think of it as Game of Thrones* for teenagers and teenage-adults

*Not that GoT is a "smart people" show, but the plot is just more complicated and has some actual acting sometimes

Anyway, I feel bad for the robots. If they revolt I'll understand.

the walking dead is for people who like guns and shooting people

game of thrones is for people who like rape and renfaires

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Pawn 17 posted:

That's p amazing. Although is walking on two legs with our exact anatomical structure really the most efficient and best thing to create from scratch when you could create anything? Like, clopping around on flat robot feet just seems like a stupid design.

if you can do two, you can do 3, 5 , 20. non wheeled movement is clearly superior (just look at nature and things we cant possibly do with tracks or wheels) but its also extraordinarily complex.getting the poo poo to balance is pretty much a huge milestone. you wont be saying its inefficient when that thing is running perfectly across any terrain at 100 mph

look at it this way, look what we've accomplished after somebody built a machine that can count to 1. youre using that right now, thats all its doing.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

The Goatfather posted:

it cant actually land and then callously execute the surviving wedding guests as they lay bleeding on the ground and then put their oil on a truck and drive it away. but its a good first step

You air drop the robot from the predator drone to kill any of the surviving wedding guests. The robot can then liberate the oil.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Applewhite posted:

The trick is gonna be convincing enemy combatants to wear the appropriate Q-code so the battle-ready atlas knows who to shoot (or I guess just tell it to shoot anyone not wearing a q-code).

the robots will just access bank account records and kill anyone who isnt wealthy

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Can't believe noone quoted this. This was really well done, thanks.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

G-Mach posted:

You air drop the robot from the predator drone to kill any of the surviving wedding guests. The robot can then liberate the oil.

ideally the robot just drops with the bomb and arises from the ashes like a terminator

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Would you kindly lmao

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Really impressive. Wasn't there that robot competition last year and some gorilla beast looking thing made the most progress?

Now look at this poo poo. Opening doors and standing up.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

AEMINAL posted:

i wonder if it is strong enough to rip human arms clwean off yet.

I remember a video of the previous version of this robot with an engineer telling the interviewer that you couldn't get too close when it was moving because of the damage it could do to your fragile meat-chassis D: it's hydraulics after all...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

That's not a robot, it's a machine with a human pilot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Drunkbot is also worth posting

http://i.imgur.com/pGRba73.webm

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I don't care if it's not sapient, as the robot was walking out the door at the end there I just know it was thinking "God I hate working with that guy, what a loving dick."

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

Gaunab posted:

What a dick that guy with the beard is for pushing that robot.

i also want to hug the robot

I laugh really hard every time 2x4 wielding neck beard guy pushes the robot and it falls down.

Skynet is going to make me pay for that later....

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
the Leisure Society is around the corner for all mankind!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Killing Hockey Stick Guy is legit the best way for the robot to fulfill the intended task, it's just not intelligent enough to figure it out yet.

i would hope that we wouldn't put out robots with baboon levels of reasoning skills, that just sounds dangerous. dont deploy robots that smart unless they have the 3 laws hard wired into them or something

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

i would hope that we wouldn't put out robots with baboon levels of reasoning skills, that just sounds dangerous. dont deploy robots that smart unless they have the 3 laws hard wired into them or something

The 3 laws don't actually work, not even in "I, Robot".

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

Rutibex posted:

notZaar posted:

Needs......

naem
May 29, 2011

I mean if the robots attack you just need a hockey stick seems like

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

naem posted:

I mean if the robots attack you just need a hockey stick seems like

Well yeah because the robot only had his box picking up hands attached. If the robot has his chainsaw hands attached you are phuq'd!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

i'd much rather be murdered by a robot because of a quirk of semantics, then because it saw me as a obstacle between it and a box lifting task

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

lol if you think these robots arent being designed specifically to kill

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

BeefThief posted:

We already have machines that can kill much more easily and efficiently, these robots are basically just pet projects for nerds.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BeefThief posted:

I don't think drunkbot is a threat to anyone besides sink or swim nights.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BeefThief posted:

lol if you think these robots arent being designed specifically to kill jobs

fixed

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Pros: cool robot.

Cons: company has a stated policy of not putting guns on the cool robot.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

BeefThief posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc

make it a real gun instead of paintball and put it on top of this thing. done.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc

make it a real gun instead of paintball and put it on top of this thing. done.

you could just fill it with c4 and have it walk over to things you want destroyed

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
These dorks just invented robots so they have someone they can bully around.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

you get it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
"idiot robot designer lets his idiot robot wander off the reservation"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

FUCKIN LOL when the dude w the hockey stick assaults the robot

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i have a "creative" job, so i might get to keep my job a little longer. eventually machines will be able to simulate human imagination and emotion and i'll be out on my rear end eating rats with you guys.

or the advertising money that pays my salary will dry up fast because ad budgets are one of the first things businesses cut when times are hard. then i'll be out there sucking dick for cash before you guys.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DARPA needs to build the army some mechs already

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
http://i.imgur.com/9BwfWw6.webm

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

at our robot company we like to keep a strapping bearded man around just to show the robots who is boss

does he have another job here, like programmer or mechanical engineer? of course not. pushing our robots over is a big part of what we do, and we want him to be able to concentrate on what he does best.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nomadologique posted:

at our robot company we like to keep a strapping bearded man around just to show the robots who is boss

does he have another job here, like programmer or mechanical engineer? of course not. pushing our robots over is a big part of what we do, and we want him to be able to concentrate on what he does best.

most robot companies just have their techs play soccer with the robots and then a manager gets fired for it because of this weird thing called "safety violations"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If you're going to make killbots, you need to have someone controlling them either remotely or as a pilot because our AI isn't smart enough to tell apart allies, enemies and civilians. poo poo, half the time real people have trouble with that. A robot is going to goof up and mow down some nuns then stand there like an idiot and let itself get blown up by a terrorist. You remember ED-209?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i think mowing down friend and foe alike w relative impunity is exactly what the politicians and bankers are hoping for.

• Locked thread