Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is vodka oramge or beer a better drink if you are dehydrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
What am I going around dictating to myself what I can and can't say? Excuse me myself but I believe in a little something called freedom you self-fascist gently caress

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Define "censoring" oneself, OP?

For instance, I wouldn't describe "not saying everything that pops into your perverse id at any given moment" as "censoring" oneself. Nor, would I say, is withholding what you believe to be the truth for the sake of someone's feelings. For instance, not saying anything about a store cashier's facial deformity isn't "self censorship" either.

I'd say in order to "self censor," you'd have to prevent yourself from expressing not only something you believe, but something you believe ought to be expressed.

Going by that definition I self-censor when there's money on the line (E.g. speaking poorly about Trump in the presence of a Trump supporting boss.)

Or if expressing myself would create a more immediately unpleasant situation (E.g. correcting an ignorant member of the extended family during dinner when doing so would stir up conflict that would be unpleasant for everyone.)

E: oh yeah, the question was "how?"
That's easy, OP, I just carry around a large, black bar with the word "censored" on it at hold it over my mouth whenever I'm censoring myself.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 24, 2016

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Censor? I barely know her! Just kidding.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Isaac posted:

Is vodka oramge or beer a better drink if you are dehydrated

vodka orange vodka is basically water that is just distilled a lot and the alcohol is a bonus

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

next time you want to post, count to ten first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:

Applewhite posted:

Define "censoring" oneself, OP?

For instance, I wouldn't describe "not saying everything that pops into your perverse id at any given moment" as "censoring" oneself. Nor, would I say, is withholding what you believe to be the truth for the sake of someone's feelings. For instance, not saying anything about a store cashier's facial deformity isn't "self censorship" either.

I'd say in order to "self censor," you'd have to prevent yourself from expressing not only something you believe, but something you believe ought to be expressed.

Going by that definition I self-censor when there's money on the line (E.g. speaking poorly about Trump in the presence of a Trump supporting boss.)

Or if expressing myself would create a more immediately unpleasant situation (E.g. correcting an ignorant member of the extended family during dinner when doing so would stir up conflict that would be unpleasant for everyone.)

E: oh yeah, the question was "how?"
That's easy, OP, I just carry around a large, black bar with the word "censored" on it at hold it over my mouth whenever I'm censoring myself.

I'm afraid this post may be too good for this thread. I'm still testing waters and making marks.

Here's a none sequitur though.

Often times, IRL, I like to take the extra moment or two to parse a reply or statement in such a way that it can be taken in, at least, two ways.
I do this because I think it's funny and also to see the response. If what I say is taken the wrong way and somehow offends I can typically explain that I actually meant the opposite. Other times, as with friends, I can just let it be and see the reality they choose to witness. It can be a fair tool to see what conclusions people might jump to.

Rorschach with words.

We all choose our own reality.

P.S. Chalk up another thread I made in a comedy forum falling too far into serious.

I promise I'll do better later.

• Locked thread