Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This was hilarious to my kid self and is still hilarious to me now because back then I could only see it as Elm just throwing the Egg off his window for some reason.

RareAcumen posted:

Does this glitch also work for Gold and Silver? If so, I'm really miffed I never knew about this like a decade and some change ago.

The glitch works in every Gen 2 game, yeah.

Gen 2 is almost as much of a buggy mess as Gen 1, but it's better hidden. You won't find anything as impressive as MissingNo. and its ilk, but it has some pretty broken stuff. Like the whole apricorn ball thing which I didn't know until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember using that to clone my Typhlosion and Scizor when I was younger. I never cloned my Feraligatr for some reason, though.

Also, I really like the Hoppip line. It's just adorable. :3:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Crosspeice posted:

And speaking of fancy Poke Balls, the Moon Ball is C*4 on any Pokemon that evolves via... Burn Heal. Yeahhhhhhh. It should be a Moon Stone, but it isn't, so it doesn't do anything.

So that's why Blaine keeps telling me to have Burn Heal!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Confession time: I've never played 2nd gen Pokemon at all. I did get HeartGold around the time it came out, but haven't as much as touched the original GSC. The European release was around the time I turned 14, and at that point playing Pokemon just wasn't cool anymore.

I did see some of my friends playing the partially translated Japanese version on emulators a year or so earlier, but that's my only exposure to the original Gen 2. Actually, everyone except me was playing Pokemon on emulators in the first place, even after some of us had a deal where I'd buy Red and a couple of other kids would buy Blue and Yellow so we could all trade and catch 'em all and all that stuff. I'd also get Pokemon Stadium so we could have awesome 3D battles! Then when I got my copies of Red and Stadium set up, those absolute fuckers who are worse than Gary motherfucking Oak decided to backpedal because games cost money and just downloaded the ROMs, and there went that whole plan. :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Poliwag should be called SwoleSwurl

Tea Devil
Apr 24, 2014

I have to kill fast and bullet hell too slow.

AriadneThread posted:

that's pretty clever
i assume the ot number for the other two starters are different right? i mean, i don't know why they wouldn't be, but this isn't exactly the standard way one gets a critter

The normal and secret ID of the player are determined at the start of the game, and you don't make a new save file when you do the glitch. They'll be the same (which is good because disobeying Pokemon could be an actual issue otherwise.)

I got Pokemon Silver for Chirstmas of 2001. Being a dumb kid, I saw "for Game Boy Color" on the box and ran out of the room crying because I had a Pocket :shobon: Thankfully, I realised my mistake before the end of the day. Ended up putting a lot of hours into it and had good times, like discovering the cloning glitch's many side effects and proving to a kid on the bus that no, you can't breed Alakazam and Bayleef to get Celebi.

And of course, we all know that Poliwag is NotAFrog.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What's the 255/255 on the top right of the info pics indicate again? I suppose one is catch rate?

Also, if the special defense and special attack are internally calculated from the same thing, how come some pokemon have a good sp. def and a bad sp. atk (maybe this is a good topic for another info post)?

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also, if the special defense and special attack are internally calculated from the same thing, how come some pokemon have a good sp. def and a bad sp. atk (maybe this is a good topic for another info post)?

Each pokemon has a base value for all the stats (as seen below the info pics).
What crosspeice meant by SpA and SpD being calculated from the same thing is that even with the split into two actual stats, in this generation they both get a bonus from the same Individual Value (Determinent Value) and Effort Value (Stat Exp) instead of each of them having their own, like in later generations.

And yeah, the number in the top right of the info pics is the catch rate of the pokemon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, I really like the Hoppip line. It's just adorable. :3:

They're also incredibly irritating. They're fast for grass types and can carry almost every status ailment in the game. Their actual offensive abilities leave much to be desired, but they can be a drat nuisance.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I would have liked that clone glitch when I was putting a crazy amount of hours into pokemon. Seems a lot faster than breeding. I knew about the Moon Ball but didn't know that it was burn heal.

If this were gen 1 it would have worked somehow with gen 1 magic.

Did Gen2 fix that bug where if you fight certain pokemon your stone-based evolution pokemon evolve?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, the bug was fixed in Yellow anyway, which is a shame, cause evolutionary stones are a bit annoying to come by in these games.

And I swear I did mention it, but please do continue suggesting nicknames for Poliwag. How good the name is may depend on how it evolves, you never know.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rarity posted:

Poliwag should be called SwoleSwurl

Since I'm rubbish at nicknames, I'll vote for this.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Houle posted:

Did Gen2 fix that bug where if you fight certain pokemon your stone-based evolution pokemon evolve?

What? I've never even heard of this bug.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Houle posted:

:stare: HOLY poo poo. I remember my friend saying that his Pikachu tried to evolve after a battle, but I thought he was lying (he was a compulsive liar). Is that actually a thing?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

:stare: HOLY poo poo. I remember my friend saying that his Pikachu tried to evolve after a battle, but I thought he was lying (he was a compulsive liar). Is that actually a thing?

If you fight a Pokemon that matches some kind of values, then yeah, your Stone Evolution Pokemon can evolve normally from a battle.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_I#Evolutionary_stone_bypassing

I hope your childhood friend feels vindication.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I haven't talked to that person in 15 years.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't talked to that person in 15 years.

There's no better reason to reforge a connection!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I agree you should apologize and buy him expensive scotch to right this terrible wrong.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rarity posted:

There's no better reason to reforge a connection!

I did that friday night, I ended up with a Rival named "Fuckwit" and a Charmander named "BURN!!!!!". It was a strangely cathartic experience.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I assume Crosspiece is going to be picking the best evolution for Poliwag, so I vote we name him Hypnotoad

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I agree you should apologize and buy him expensive scotch to right this terrible wrong.

As far as I know, he lives 3000 away from me, across open ocean. It's really not worth it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

I assume Crosspiece is going to be picking the best evolution for Poliwag, so I vote we name him Hypnotoad

Yeah, uh, I'm choosing this one, fyi.

\/ I'll leave it up to vote as always, but there's always one that I secretly hope wins :v:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 28, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Crosspeice posted:

Yeah, uh, I'm choosing this one, fyi.
NotAFrog

VVV Every Pokemon and every item is stored as some number. The evolution checks if your Pokemon saw the item by checking if it saw that number. If you use the one which has the same number as a stone, the game thinks you used one. But that only works if the potentially evoling pokemon levels up in that fight because of reasons. It's proably hardcoded to ony check for evolutions after fights if it levels up, so you don't have to cancel an evolution after every single fight once you reached a certain level. This also means that in gen 2 those evolutions which are based on love wont happen until you level up once more.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 28, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

:psyduck: i'm having some trouble parsing that sentence on the wiki

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looper posted:

:psyduck: i'm having some trouble parsing that sentence on the wiki

If I'm not mistaken, it's basically saying Nidorino will evolve into Nidoking if it faints Exeggutor and levels up. And so on.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, it's basically saying Nidorino will evolve into Nidoking if it faints Exeggutor and levels up. And so on.

No, if I'm reading it correctly, if you finish a battle with (example) a Psyduck and your Gloom gains a level in the same battle, it'll evolve. There's a link to a video that shows it off.

Too bad, actually, Highlander evolutions would have been awesome.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah the video makes it clear but man that does not meet this wiki's standards

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Standards".

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Votes so far:

Rooster: 1

SwoleSwurl: 2

NotAFrog: 2

Hypnotoad: 1

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I think Jeremiah would be a good name for that 'mon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trick Question posted:

Out of left field and I wonder how many get the joke, but sure Jeremiah.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Trick Question posted:

Nice. Jeremiah has my vote too.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Getting all three starters via saving glitch, what sorcery is this? :psyduck:

I usually went with either Cyndaquil or Totodile depending on my mood. Looking forward to this, loved GSC. The remakes for DS were okay but suffered from 4th Gen slowness.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, he's Jeremiah.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The, uh, weeping Hebrew prophet?

Suuuuuuuuure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crosspeice posted:

The, uh, weeping Hebrew prophet?

Suuuuuuuuure.

JEREMIAH WAS A BULLFROG! WAS A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE!

Sorry. It's a song reference.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, now I get it.

Obscure in jokes are extremely my poo poo, so Jeremiah it is!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Trick Question posted:

Oh goddammit

Switching to Jeremiah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Some Numbers posted:

Oh goddammit

Switching to Jeremiah

drat it. Yep. Changing to Jeremiah as well...

• Locked thread