Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Why are all of these Japanology videos so drat interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish more of these youtube how-to videos was mute. There's too many nasaly nerds punishing the world with their awful voices on the internet.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
he probably sounds like steve irwin

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Prettz posted:

Maybe you're a weeaboo and don't know it yet

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

This is what I am going to do if I ever got off the rez and go nuts. Just walk up into the uplands north of Phoenix and live in a rock hut, hunting deer and eating juniper berries and poo poo.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
ARG for the upcoming Rust release is gettin real intricate

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Prettz posted:

calm voiced british men and their sorcerous tones

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I watched two of these videos by that guy who doesn't talk all the way through the video and it was fascinating.

If you dropped 30 humans from Western nations onto an island and came back 12 months later everyone would be dead, with the only attempts at shelter being some leaves propped up against chappy sticks.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

can we get some more of this poo poo and whats in the op up itt tia srum fvv

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KiteAuraan posted:

This is what I am going to do if I ever got off the rez and go nuts. Just walk up into the uplands north of Phoenix and live in a rock hut, hunting deer and eating juniper berries and poo poo.

Between reading Hatchet and Call of the Wild and poo poo as a kid, and these videos, Im pretty sure if I ever get brain damage I'll be found living in a national forest wearing deerskin shoes and pants, chasing deer and making wild grape wine

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The only reason this guy can do this is because he's way out in the boonies in Bumfuck, Northern Australia. It's always warm and the only thing he has to worry about is snakes. Practially anywhere else is too dense or is full of animals/people that want to kill you. You might be able to pull this off somewhere up north in canada/russia but it would be cold for over 2/3 of the year.

Regardless this is cool as all hell and I can't wait to see what he can do by the end of the year.

quote:

Not making any promises but for the new year in no particular order 1. iron 2. glass. 3. Stone dome. 4. tiled shed with it’s own kiln (barrel tiles this time) 5. bow. 6. Atlatl. 7. Cloth .8. Garden. 9-12 I don’t know yet. Some of these are technically very difficult and I have no experience with them yet. But it’s good to have goals.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
They didnt have youtube in primitive times. This is setting off my bullshit detector

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Isaac posted:

They didnt have youtube in primitive times. This is setting off my bullshit detector

yes they did dude it was calle D Shakespeare look it up :rolleyes:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

yes they did dude it was calle D Shakespeare look it up :rolleyes:

Man Youtube has gotten a lot worse.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Odobenidae posted:

The only reason this guy can do this is because he's way out in the boonies in Bumfuck, Northern Australia. It's always warm and the only thing he has to worry about is snakes. Practially anywhere else is too dense or is full of animals/people that want to kill you. You might be able to pull this off somewhere up north in canada/russia but it would be cold for over 2/3 of the year.
He lives a normal modern life and does these things in his spare time.

It's also entirely possible to do these things elsewhere.

I mean if you wanted to exist entirely like this it'd have to be in an isolated location, and the only isolated locations that still exist unwrecked by man are cold places and deserts. It's perfectly feasible in cold places it just takes some prep to understand how not to die to the cold. And you'd probably want a rifle because of bears/wolves/a few other predators.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 25, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah of course he's not living full time in the bush like tarzan, but you're gonna have a bad time trying this elsewhere.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Odobenidae posted:

Regardless this is cool as all hell and I can't wait to see what he can do by the end of the year.

Everything you said is wrong but I'd feel like a huge sperg typing out why. Just take my word for it.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Actually, you're wrong.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

some of these skills seem like they'll come in real handy when i go my own way

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
maybe one day hell make something useful

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Prettz posted:

because peter barakan is a nice old dude that just wants to tell you all the neat things about japan

the best episode was the name seals one when he got a fancy custom one and he was shocked :3:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

maybe one day hell make something useful

After he builds his cellphone maybe he'll make a Talking Tomcat app for you to download.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i would prefer if he made an app that told me the best ways to kill myself

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

because peter barakan is a nice old dude that just wants to tell you all the neat things about japan

the best episode was the name seals one when he got a fancy custom one and he was shocked :3:

I watched part of that charcoal one and he does that thing that old men who only dress up for TV do where they buy a shirt and then put it on and you can see where it was creased in the store forming a rectangle down from the neck.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

i would prefer if he made an app that told me the best ways to kill myself

The best way to kill yourself is to use a double barreled shotgun that you cut down to facilitate aiming and to shoot yourself in one ear and out the other.

You can build a shotgun out of rabbit skins and dirt and lawyer cane that you spit in half with your fingers.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I like watching these videos. It makes me want to buy a poo poo piece of land and see how long I die from exposure.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I enjoy not living in mud huts or spending hours of time making charcoal to survive. It gives me plenty of free time to poo poo post on the internet.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i'd like to go in to the woods and hang out in his mud hut if you know what i mean

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

You can build a shotgun out of rabbit skins and dirt and lawyer cane that you spit in half with your fingers.

Can this technique be scaled ip to a 'bazooka!'

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

so this putz is just playing minecraft irl bfd

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
goons too jaded by modern society to appreciate fuckin around in the woods itt

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
pretty cool. waiting for when he tears out a bears jugular w/ he teeth tho

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Odobenidae posted:

everyone knows that indigenous people only existed in noth canada/russia/australia, totally agree

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
this fuckin idiot making garbage out of mud lmao

[camera pans backwards over a lifeless suicide box apartment]

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Velkest posted:

pretty cool. waiting for when he tears out a bears jugular w/ he teeth tho

Australia so it's going to be a koala bear which is fine and counts imo

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the goon that was living in the library should probably watch these videos for pointers on how to survive

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Smash it Smash hit posted:

everyone knows that indigenous people only existed in noth canada/russia/australia, totally agree

yeah okay throw a millennial into the amazon and they'll die of buzzfeed withdrawl in less than a week. today's humans at large have lost any/all natural instincts.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Odobenidae posted:

that's not true. spare remote desert hellscapes (like most of australia) or frozen hellscapes would actually be the worst places to do it, unless you bring along a gun and some more modern tools. areas that are dense are good since they have biodiversity from insects to berries to other edible greens and sources of fresh water (either rainfall or high water table). predatory animals are really not a big concern unless you're living in a bear den or something stupid.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

You'll be dead of dysentery or typhus within two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Extremely Curious about his pooping situation. Please post detailed (!) instrcutional videos next TIA

• Locked thread