Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
On 12 January 1971, the federal government indicted Philip Berrigan and other East Coast antiwar activists on felony charges of plotting to impede the Vietnam War through violent action. The activists’ agenda supposedly included blowing up underground heating pipes in Washington to shut down government buildings, kidnapping presidential adviser Henry Kissinger to ransom him for concessions on the war and raiding draft boards to destroy records and slow down the draft.

The Justice Department prosecutors chose to hold the conspiracy trial in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, a conservative area where a randomly chosen jury would be heavily against the defendants. However, before the jury was selected at what came to be known as the Harrisburg trial, a group of left-leaning social scientists supporting the defendants interviewed a large number of registered voters in the area to try to figure out how to get a sympathetic jury there. They discovered, among other things, that college-educated people were more likely than others to be conservative and to trust the government. Thus, in court, during the three weeks that it took to examine 465 potential jurors and pick a panel of 12, lawyers for the defense quietly favored skilled blue-collar workers and white-collar workers without a lot of formal education—nonprofessionals, although the sociologists and lawyers apparently never used that term.

The lawyers were uneasy doing this, however, because it went against their intuition. The notion of closed-minded hard hats and open-minded intellectuals is widespread and is reinforced by mass-media characters like loading-dock worker Archie Bunker and his college-student son-in-law, “pinko” Mike. In fact, All in the Family made its television debut the very day of the Harrisburg indictments, 12 January 1971; by the time the trial and jury selection started, it had been on the air for a year.

Ignoring these false stereotypes paid off. The government put on a monthlong, $2 million extravaganza featuring 64 witnesses, including 21 FBI agents and 9 police officers. The defense called no one to the witness stand. After seven days of deliberation, the jury was not able to reach a unanimous decision, and the judge declared a mistrial; but with 10 of the 12 carefully selected jurors arguing for a not-guilty verdict, the government dropped the case.2

Blue-collar skeptics? Loyal intellectuals? Was the Harrisburg survey a regional fluke? Look at what the nationwide polls showed at the time. On 15 February 1970 the New York Times reported the results of a Gallup poll on the war in Vietnam.3 Gallup had found that the number of people in sharp disagreement with the government over the war had increased but still constituted a minority. While this increase in opposition was important news, what were particularly intriguing were the data on the opinions of subgroups of the population. These numbers announced with striking clarity that those with the most schooling were the most reluctant to criticize the government’s stand in Vietnam. There was a simple correlation (although only in part a cause-aud-effect relationship): The further people had gone before leaving school, the less likely they were to break with the government over the war. (See note 3 for the results of the poll.)

During the war in Vietnam, nearly everyone seemed to have one or another gripe about the U.S. government’s effort, but few took positions that dissented fundamentally from the government’s goals. Some said they were for negotiations, some said they were for an end to the bombing and some simply said they were “for peace.” Gallup s survey cut to the bottom line by posing what was always the most incisive question on the war. It asked people whether they would favor or oppose the immediate withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Vietnam.

Age didn’t affect the answers much. The ratio of those in favor to those opposed was about the same for young adults as it was for older people. But dramatic differences appeared according to formal education. Those with college educations opposed immediate withdrawal by more than two to one, whereas those not formally schooled beyond the elementary grades were evenly divided on the question. And high school graduates were in between.

Polls taken earlier and later in the Vietnam War,4 and polls taken during other wars—Korea,5 for example—show the same correlation with formal education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Kraid Center
Oct 18, 2009

Phobic Nest posted:

I think we'd have a better shot at that with Cruz, but who knows?

Most of the candidates probably wouldn't do well the first time Putin comes a-saber-rattlin', and Trump in particular hates backing down or looking weak but I bet he'll listen to his advisors and pussy out as long as the decision is made behind closed doors.

haha yeah the next time putin randomly comes a saber rattlin'. he will definitely do that for no reason but to 'test' the president, you know, because that totally happens after every election, because the democrats are totally innocent when it comes to why relations are at an all time low. why can't putin stop rattlin' those sabers, putting entire fleets in the most important body of water near his adversary and organizing the largest cold war alliance wargames in history closer than they ever have been to the other side's homeland??? oh wait it's us doing that

wake up. trump is by far the best republican, maybe even the best of all candidates with a realistic chance of winning, remaining for foreign policy. by far. cruz, rubio, fiorina, et al would risk thermonuclear war to protect al-qaeda with a no fly zone. clinton probably wants to topple assad and invade east ukraine directly so she can laugh over how, "we came, we saw, we killed," again. trump is willing to accept and return putin's endorsement on the campaign trail, this is massive and means we have a greater chance of an actual "reset" than there ever was under big O

World Kraid Center fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 25, 2016

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
either sanders wins or it's all hosed

i'd rather have hillary than 4 years of trump's smugness in the oval office. this is a man who's always won in life, and he needs to lose at a thing.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
cant stump the trump

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

jackyl posted:

come save us Bloomberg

I'm sorry you do not have the freedom to choose what you drink or what you say.

*pulls mountain dew from your sweaty hands*

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Whole Internet posted:

i'd rather have hillary than 4 years of trump's smugness in the oval office. this is a man who's always won in life, and he needs to lose at a thing.

Wow. Seriously look at Hillary for "always won in life." Every scandal that erupts on a yearly basis? GONE. A normal person would be in jail ten times over.

Also just buy your gas mask, dosimeter and start hording guns for the inevitable.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

would that you were lashed by a solar flare. would that your teeth became vapor, and the soles of your shoes were as flowing bitumen

Preach brother of the Atom

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

The Whole Internet posted:

You could literally restate this whole thing with hilarry. Except she's bought by wallstreet an the establishment.

Trump drives the establishment insane.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Edgar posted:

I pray for nuclear death.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Lol Donald trump!!!! Did you hear the one about how much republicans r bad? Lmao

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cartouche posted:

I suspect Obama would agree that the poorly educated are pretty loving awesome.

There were some districts of the poorly educated around Cleveland in 2012 that voted 100% for Obama.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
He's nothing but a low-down, double-dealing, backstabbing, larcenous perverted worm! Hanging's too good for him. Burning's too good for him! He should be torn into little bitsy pieces and buried alive!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
college-educated people are more likely than others to be conservative and to trust the government

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
i kind of want to just kill something every time election updates are on the news

every night i lose just a little bit more sanity

my fish is asking for it

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

your huddled masses yearning to drink pee

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Don't noboody love me (wah wahhhh) that don't ain't have to do (bloooob blooob bleep) got the blues (dooot toodoot)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

your huddled masses yearning to drink pee

they love the peepee :D

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i identify as poorly educated but i admit i've never been diagnosed

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mange Mite posted:

Actually studies have found that in fact people with less education are more independent minded, more critical of authority, and less conformist than highly educated people

You mean more selfish and egotistical?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

Actually studies have found that in fact people with less education are more independent minded, more critical of authority, and less conformist than highly educated people

So basically less civilized. Why so racist?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Edgar posted:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Edgar posted:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm glad that they're bucking the trend and showing that the blacks are not just another notch in the Democratic Party's belt.

End demographics, end political parties..

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Agreed.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Let's all just drink poison and kill ourselves

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

The Taint Reaper posted:

Edgar posted:

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I felt most of the same anxiety in 2004, 2008, and 2012. It feels great to not care anymore, with the exception of local elections because those are probably more important.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got that tging where i feel like something bad is about to happen

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Docter docter
Gimmie the news
Got a bad case
Of impending doom

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Isaac posted:

Docter docter
Gimmie the news
Got a bad case
Of impending doom

cuz every fattys crazy for a deep dish pan

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The gop is great because theyre so inept they cant do anything but double down on their dumb bullshit i mean loving lmao trump as serious contender for president we deserve what is coming probably

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
2016: the year we went feral

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's probably going to be Cruz vs. Clinton, and both Sanders and Trump will go largely unremembered in the public memory as candidates except by the 2030 equivalent of Cracked.com's list of "6 Great Presidents America Just Missed Out On" alongside the likes of Estes Kefauver, Ross Perot, Alan Keyes, and Nelson Rockefeller.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Cartouche posted:

"I love the poorly educated! They are the smartest people, the most loyal people."

blessed is the mind too small for doubt

- god emperor trump

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

thathonkey posted:

The gop is great because theyre so inept they cant do anything but double down on their dumb bullshit i mean loving lmao trump as serious contender for president we deserve what is coming probably

are you speaking from the position of a democrat supporter, because lol.

Trump will win because of useful idiots like the ones voting for trump in the drudge polls. Apparently many believe that winning a debate = being the most smug, No matter how lacking in substance.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cartouche posted:

are you speaking from the position of a democrat supporter, because lol.

Trump will win because of useful idiots like the ones voting for trump in the drudge polls. Apparently many believe that winning a debate = being the most smug, No matter how lacking in substance.

I guess in the loosest possible definition of the term "supporter" ill support them by not voting for whatever human shitbag the republicans put up. If it ends up being cruz ill prob be more worried than if it is trump

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

thathonkey posted:

I guess in the loosest possible definition of the term "supporter" ill support them by not voting for whatever human shitbag the republicans put up. If it ends up being cruz ill prob be more worried than if it is trump

Personally I am holding out for Kasich.

I love how when asked to criticize Trump's "plan" he simply gave his own plan rather than be led to do the vetting the media should be doing. Trump has no specific plans, and appears to be riding the wave of bumper sticker campaigning his buddy Barry taught.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, THE OTHERS ARE LIARS, LINES AROUND STATES, RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Kasich/Carson
"Because we need (human) adults in the white house"

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 26, 2016

Christo3
May 1, 2013

I'm honestly worried that a possible timeline is U.S President, Donald Trump.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The republican party has always been about pandering to idiots, trump is just doing it shamelessly. Trump is a smart guy and he's never going to mention deporting all the muslims or building a huge border wall again after he wins the primary

In reality president trump will probably be better than hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

The Goatfather posted:

The republican party has always been about pandering to idiots, trump is just doing it shamelessly. Trump is a smart guy and he's never going to mention deporting all the muslims or building a huge border wall again after he wins the primary

In reality president trump will probably be better than hillary

It's not just one party that panders to idiots. Remember "the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal"?

But yeah in general you're right

• Locked thread