Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Signing up, and I will even try not to hard case Max on D1!

Unless he is scummy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Confirming!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

How do you blaze in a library?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I don't know what this is but I like it?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Self-vote is scummy, ##vote TMM

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Third vote is scummy ##vote Quidnose

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

CCKeane posted:

Hello thread, I am a robot who wants to understand this emotion you humans call "love"

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

the moon rules

##vote birdstrike moon is overrated breh

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Quidnose - town Quid tunnels on Max, something here feels off

Is this a joke vote? I will vote you if this isn't a jokevote.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Tommunist posted:

So whos going to take the plunge and drag this game out of joke phase?

I got you breh~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Is that a joke reply? I will vote you if you actually couldn't tell if I was kidding or not.

Although now my vote on you is staying because you said you're willing to vote for me regardless of what you think my alignment is. :slick:

I think that's fairly lazy and also a fairly easy call to make, especially since other people have already said "OMGUS" at me.

The latter statement is a misrepresentation of what I said, and you know that.

I'm not going to vote you because you're being dumb but I will keep an eye on you, I hope you stop being dumb

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Yeah, I'm just going to be honest and admit that I don't actually have any reads yet :eng99:

I will vote you for this.

##vote Murmur Twin

Admitting you're joshing, that your reads are nonexisting, and then sitting on your joke vote on me is bull.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TMMadman posted:

They did in the 90's with Ichiro and Griffey Jr.

So what's going on in this game? I was focused on another game today and haven't really checked in here.

Mariners were my scruffy little team in 2011/2012. Nobody could blow a 1 run game with a man on 2nd and 3rd with zero outs in the bottom of the 9th like the M's could.

I still have a soft spot for them in my heart but I haven't followed them since Ichiro left.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

What in the gently caress is being discussed here

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Now that I re-read it, it just looks really blown up because poo poo all has happened D1. I could see light bussing but it seems a longshot to go on as a vote for me. Still think it's just a little scuffle, but yeah. Usually two towns go at each others throats for pages and that's easier to read.

I'm not following your internal logic here.

You're saying that nothing has happened D1 except for this, and therefore it's turned into this big blown up thing. But if it actually was something that was blown out of proportion, then it would be being discussed a shitton more than it is, and as such people would be taking sides, and presumably then Murmur and I WOULD be going at each other's throats, wouldn't we?

What this is looking like is you've taken a stance on this "slapfight" that you've identified and which you have mentally already noted is the only real point of interest in the thread so far, and you've covered your bases on it and why you have an opinion on it, but it hasn't really gone anywhere, so you're covering your rear end even more now.

DBD has felt off to me in all of this. Birdstrike posting in this way maybe a way for him to damage control? Or maybe he's just jumping on birdstrike's post TO damage control?

##unvote

##vote DBD

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I said it looks bigger than it really is / people are talking about it because nothing else has really happened, which means it really isn't poo poo and I think you are both town.

You then defend that it's not being blown out of proportion which means it's not a super big deal, which is exactly what I'm saying (although I think you're overestimating people caring that much D1).

Birdstrike made a good point that townies usually go at each others necks a bit more but since it was so brief/odd/dumb, I also categorize this as a town v town thing.

But I will note the way you two did that and then put two (IMO bad) votes on me doesn't rule out the possibility of a bussing, no matter how slim.

I just don't get the dichotomy of you continuing to come back to this point if you don't think it's a big deal, which is what you are saying. Why continue discussing it? You could have responded to Birdstrike and just said "yeah it really isn't that big of a deal in retrospect" but you are going on this weird analysis of it and it's just strange and feels off.

Even here you're still analyzing it, buddying up to Bird for his point, and continuing to try to force the issue. I don't like it.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

##unvote

I somehow completely misread the initial interaction between Birdstrike & DBD and thought their positions were reversed. Which would make DBD look hypocritical with his responses but they actually are completely what he has been saying all along. I can't read I guess.

I still have bad feelings about him but I think that's tempered by my initial feeling of "hypocrite" so I probably need to look elsewhere. Trying not to get so locked on tunnel vision this game (hi Max)

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Merk makes these two posts. Taste then votes for Merk for being low-effort. Merk's reaction:

(a) So Merk is clearly able to make effort - he just isn't using it to hunt scum.
(b) The game Merk is referring to is Generic Mafia and Taste wasn't in it so I feel like Taste calling Merk's play scummy is completely reasonable. Instead of entertaining the notion that Taste is wrong he went right to "fake".
(c) Regardless of if it's an intentional playstyle thing, in my eyes popping in on D1 with a vote and no other worthwhile contribute to scumhunting is scummy.

I'm fine with my vote on Merk but am still reading others.

This is fake fake fake fake fake.

a. We all know merk is able to make effort and be awesome when he wants to, we also know he has said he's peacing out until D2. Why are you stating this?
b. His point isn't "look at this game to see what I am talking about," it's "you should know from being in our community that I switch it up a lot so I can't understand why this is what you are saying." You are misrepresenting here.
c. Why? Why is this scummy? Why would scum do this, publicly? That makes no sense.

You have fakely justified a lurker vote by saying this post is scummy. It isn't. ##vote MMT

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Ixtlilton posted:

Which Max?

Thanks imgay.

Will the real Max please stand up?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Jedit popping in after his name call is scummy and I would also vote him for that, but he's not actively posting fake content trying to pretend he is contributing like that MMT post

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Ixtlilton posted:

I have reread the game and want to kill the leather man or the deadbeat man. The leather man has a very cute catte avatar, which we've discussed in the past, whereas the deadbeat man has but an egg upon his head, which cooked or not is not as cute.

Also leatherman has a way better joke phase. Some strong stuff leading out there, look at this:

Some funny stuff sadly cut short by a misunderstanding of imgay.

Contrast this with the self-conscious and not as funny spaghetti joke of deadbeat dad:

Everyone knows that pasta is no good once it's cast upon the beige carpet. A weak beginning. Also I just realized I'm suspicious of both of them for voting imgay for his strong start with excellent logic. Will revisit later.

What is this garbage

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I am doing a reread because this game day is so content light I feel like I have time for this.

Has anyone played in a game where Max is scum? He has been uncharacteristically quiet.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

imgay posted:

I don't understand your logic. If statistics say you are scum 1/10 of the time and you've been town the past 9 games, how is it a bad vote based on absolutely nothing else of substance happening in the game
. it's not a substantial vote, but it's a starting thought to avoid stagnation that's happened all day today. fart McCarthy Blvd Los Gatos CA.

I grew up near Los Gatos CA wtf

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

a. Because he isn't.
b. If his playstyle is "lay low and don't post D1", why did he have so much to say when Taste cased him?
c. Because the easiest way to not get caught in a lie is to not contribute. Regardless of whether or not this is what he's doing, there's every reason to do it as scum.

B is the only valid point you've made in all this, but you didn't make it until now.

You essentially were all "Look at this scumpost that stands as clearly a scumpost" because your analysis on it was literally nothing except what it already said.

The fact that you're coming in with this now instead of having that be the reason you were showing this us in the first place is supsicious.

As for C, sure, but I don't think merk of all people would do that.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

My interaction with MMT was:

1. not a slap fight
2. not the basis for my vote

And if you are presenting either of the thing in the list as fact, you're misrepresenting what happened and I will be suspicious of you

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

I am headed out to volleyball, whoever wants to handle the votecount while I am gone (assuming you all remain less than perfect at remembering to unvote) will receive a Minor Boon when I return.

note that multiple players can volunteer and if so the boon will go to whoever is the best/better.

You got this, votefinder!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The only thing I shitted up was my mouth with dust pasta, but early D1 is always jokey like that so I mean it's a pretty uncalled for dig. Also I have a big problem with you saying you kickstarted something when in all actuality Max did. And you didn't even kickstart the current convo. Maybe by proxy because you made a bad statistics post that people took issue with, but it's not something you can really brag about unless you're saying you did it on purpose to get a reaction which seems unlikely.

I hate everything about this argument

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Max posted:

imgay's reasoning is very, very bad at the moment but his "you first" thing wasn't that bad, imho. That was my reaction in my head.

I voted Tomm because he came in going "who's gonna make content" when really if you want something that isn't there, just make it yourself. I wanted to see his reaction to that vote.

And also it would be funny to vote him day 1 again

This is good reasoning from Max, I believe him

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Just want to point out again that this exchange is all sorts of bullshit from MMT, combined with the all sorts of bullshit fake case that was just posted:

Murmur Twin posted:

Yeah, I'm just going to be honest and admit that I don't actually have any reads yet :eng99:

Quidnose posted:

I will vote you for this.

##vote Murmur Twin

Admitting you're joshing, that your reads are nonexisting, and then sitting on your joke vote on me is bull.

Murmur Twin posted:

Hah, I meant to unvote when I said the other thing but backspaced it when i replied to Keane. And then I was going to unvote in this explanation but feel like you're challenging me and I don't want to back down.

It is not, however, a slapfight.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

And I am still not sure why DBD, after that exchange, comes out with this:

Deadbeat Dad posted:

MMT and Quid are two townies that seem to be slapfighting IMO.

I don't like TMM's "sum this up for me" post when there has been like 1 page of actual dialogue and mafia play. Still don't think imgay's response was very good.

Why were you so certain we were both town here, DBD?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

MMT is basing her case on merk saying he wasn't going to read anything, and therefore it was weird that he came back and called out Taste's vote.

Initial post:

merk posted:

I'm town guys. See you day 2.

Timestamp 03:09

Then the entire exchange with me and MMT, and DBD weighing in on it being a town slapfight:

merk posted:

##vote MMT

Time stamp 19:46. Merk is CLEARLY reading what has happened here and has made a vote based on his analysis of the situation. That doesn't sound disengaged merk to me at all, which is the entire basis of your argument.

AND YET:

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Merk

I feel like a town player would argue that TTs vote on him as wrong, but the way Merk is immediately jumping to "fake" makes me think Taste is onto something. Also, Merks effort seems more interested self-preservation than hunting scum.

This is 3 hours later.

How did you not see this is what happened? It's so very, very clear.

I think you saw merk said he was going to peace out, decided you could get a strong player out based on an emotional "oh so lazy of you merk" plea, and went with it. Unfortunately what happened doesn't mirror reality.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The back and forth seemed silly enough to be called out as two town slapfighting. That opinion can certainly change, but it's day 1. Other people are looking worse.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Both of your votes on each other were dumb and awkward and there is literally no reason for me to assume one of you would be scum for that which is why I found Birdstrike's view on it strange.

That's at least internally consistent so you're either being genuine or rereading yourself carefully. :v:

I think I believe DBD and he's just being awkward this game. When's the last time you played Mafia, DBD, I feel like it's been a while

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Tremendous Taste posted:

I think voting someone you can't read is viable but it's not a move to be made if you have any strong inclination on who is scum whatsoever.

The reason I'm voting merk here, for example, is that this low effort play d1 seems out of character for his town play. On the other hand, as scum he'll take a bit more time to get moving and sooner abandon lines of thinking or indeed any posting whatsoever.

I usually wouldn't vote him for this, but as it's d1 and in all likelihood we aren't super powered as town, I'm willing to take the gamble.

I like your logic here Taste and I think it's the most logic I've seen from you, like, ever.

I disagree and you clearly disagree with me so why do you think merk wasn't reading and making a judgement call at that point? You're seeing his MMT vote as just a lazy...easy tagalong vote? For a single vote from me? Why would he make that call?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm honestly pretty content with my vote where it is for the time being. Tommunist pinged me from how he jumped on the joke turbo with no comment and asked who's going to pull the game from jokephase without putting any effort in to doing it himself.

I cannot possibly see how Vimes is checking out based on an early jokephase vote when poo poo has happened around him. This is weird as gently caress.

Also I really, REALLY haven't been paying attention to this game and anyone who has and says there isn't a lot of content is suspicious, I've been taking y'alls word for it and it's just not true.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Jedit posted:

I was coming in anyway to case people and Keane's vote was there. It's entirely coincidental. My play style leaves me open to these kind of accusations and people do exploit that from time to time, along with my being in UK timezone so generally not around at deadline.

Quid, why are you set on defending merk? IME merk likes to make content on Day 1. Instead he's all but said that he's playing a scum game, but don't worry, it is a subtle ploy - oh, and BTW, he'll be back tomorrow. If he has to peace out for genuine reasons, why did he feel the need to defend his absenteeism as a tactic? It isn't enough for me to vote him, but I can't take it on faith that he's a good guy.

Because in rereading this didn't happen? Show me where he said "I am playing a scumgame." I see him reading and making calls.

The ONE thing you could say he's doing that is scummy? Continually referencing other games. "I was just cuddled for this in ____," "I would show you where you were wrong about me in ______ but I'm on my phone." That's suspicious. But the reason people are calling him suspicious (disengaged, claiming he's playing scum, etc.) are not true, and is showing a lack of reading him. That makes me suspicious of everyone else, because we all know merk is incredibly strong when he is town. A town D1 merk cuddle gives the scumteam a big advantage.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Tremendous Taste posted:

I think he's reading the thread and throwing a me-too on board, which isn't inherently scummy or towny

When it's your only content though

But it was early day 1 and you have ridden that vote. You can't retroactively say your vote was justified because he has offered no content; you didn't know what he was going to do at that point.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I would agree with you if this was a recent vote on your point, like, right now, but 'tisn't, is it?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

it doesn't feel like they're invested in their positions. it was "is that a jokevote? Well I'll vote you :mad:" "is that a joke reply? Well I'll vote you then :argh:"
it's just such a weak thing for towns to slapfights over. I'm used to seeing more venom in town fights.

poo poo maybe they're both scum

This is kind of weird, I thought Birdstrike was initially saying "that's not a slapfight you guys are dumb" but then he talks himself into this and that's just odd.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Accidental penetration?

I keep forgetting TMM is in this game, he's coming in with a lot of snipey joke comments. Not his usual play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

:gary:

TMM, what's your read on the game so far? From what I remember you usually get involved way more and have yet to really make a post that isn't a joke. Let's game, guys.

Oh. LOL.

• Locked thread