Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i unironically cannot wait for tf2 to get killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

why tf2 is pretty good for a 9 year old shooter

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Applewhite posted:

I've never played heathstone but I object to it on principle. It's a digital CCG and the monsters don't come out of the cards and attack each other. The whole. Entire. Point. Of having a digital CCG would be so the monsters could come alive and fight. If you're just going to make a regular card game then you might as well buy real cards.

Hearthstone is not a game it is a farce.

no the point is you don't have to the shuffle the cards or keep them anywhere or go to smelly tournaments or do any kind of calculations on health or RNG etc etc

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Thats a lot of words explaining why the monsters don't come out and fight, rear end in a top hat.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

extra stout posted:

it probably does seem like a nerd rant but you just need to really be old i guess, and remember this:

diablo II had every single motherfucker with a computer at my school playing together, and if you played for 3 years you got to level 96 of 99 or whatever the cap was

i never got past like level 72

i bought the new, more expensive sequel they spent 10 loving years making and as a still bad, still stupid, still casual gamer, i hit the level cap of 60? in like three weeks

literally the only thing left to do is grind or pay real money for gear, over and over until you die, no cow level no PVP, no joy of seeing the EXP bar go up like when we were kids, they sold us 1/10th of the old game for more money

haha you were literally retarded as a child and thought grinding against that xp bar was the definition of fun despite d2 being exactly as stupid and repetitive as d3

time moves on, ppl age, the magic goes away...

also you can now endlessly grind in d3 just like in d2!!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

no the point is you don't have to the shuffle the cards or keep them anywhere or go to smelly tournaments or do any kind of calculations on health or RNG etc etc

Shuffling cards is one of life's little pleasures. lol if you don't enjoy shuffling cards or hearing that *flap* sound as you peel them off the top of the deck.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

hemophilia posted:

why tf2 is pretty good for a 9 year old shooter

time for me to rant, one sec please

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

All you D3 haters should try the expansion it made it super cool and seasons are fun and riffs are kind of fun boss rush mode and Crusader is easily the coolest class

The D3 haters are mostly delusional schizo's.
They complain D3 isn't like D2, but when it was at the start they were complaining it wasn't fun as you needed billions of gold to buy it from the AH or a one in a billion drop chance to get the items you wanted.
Just like D2.
Now they hate on D3 because there's no AH or lovely market system.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Actually not having to tap cards and manage a real deck was enough to get me to play magic. Instead of buying real cards, me and my friends would buy decks on the MTG client. Not the flashy games with pre made decks, but the really lovely thing you can buy digital variants of all the cards on. Just not having to tap cards and argue about rules. Arguing about rules and keeping up with new ones is why card games suck in real life.

I defintiely dont' need digital battle monsters popping out of simulated cards.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

hemophilia posted:

Actually not having to tap cards and manage a real deck was enough to get me to play magic. Instead of buying real cards, me and my friends would buy decks on the MTG client. Not the flashy games with pre made decks, but the really lovely thing you can buy digital variants of all the cards on. Just not having to tap cards and argue about rules. Arguing about rules and keeping up with new ones is why card games suck in real life.

I defintiely dont' need digital battle monsters popping out of simulated cards.

But I mean as long as you are simulating the cards you might as well make simulated battle monsters pop out of them.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the reason they don't come out and fight is 3fold

1 it would take too much time
2 it would cost too much money for the devs
3 they sorta interact like that tho, the cards "do" digital things, they just don't fight

but ya trust me, if the monsters were actually coming out of the cards and fighting every time, the games would be horrendously long and no one would play

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Ever since DOTA2 came out they took devs out of the TF2 team until it consisted only of Doobie and his possums so there's like one update a year now.

They cancelled Halloween and Christmas events last year.

"Community Updates" are not updates.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Something_Special_For_Someone_Special

Horrible weapon balancing.

The comics aren't funny anymore.

i gotta think of more hold on

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

imagine: any time you want your card to do something, it takes a 30 second break from the game to show you an animation you have seen 5000 times before

how interesting!!! very good material for a game after the first hour or two

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
D3 sucks, all you do is grind various random dungeons for loot ... aka "play the game" ... unlike D2, where you'd grind the exact same boss run until you wanted to die

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Putty posted:

Ever since DOTA2 came out they took devs out of the TF2 team until it consisted only of Doobie and his possums so there's like one update a year now.

oh, you're playing or played for real and not crashing a random server for 10 hours every couple of years as a pyro

it's fun if you just crash a server and play pyro

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Putty posted:

putty you're coming dangerously close to indicating you care about soemthing in the real world, outside of these forums, and that you have a real world personality that is not forums based

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

imagine: any time you want your card to do something, it takes a 30 second break from the game to show you an animation you have seen 5000 times before

Get this: you can turn the animations off.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
TF2 was fun but now it just lies in the corner and occasionally pisses itself. We had some great times but really the time has come to put it out of its misery.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i am currently playing d3, have been for about a month, and it's a lot more fun and addictive than it has any right to be, considering it's a glorified flash game.

oh i guess that explains the addictive part.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

hemophilia posted:

oh, you're playing or played for real and not crashing a random server for 10 hours every couple of years as a pyro

it's fun if you just crash a server and play pyro

they finally patched the spray exploit that you could use to crash everyone on a server to desktop and i'm peeved

nomadologique posted:

putty you're coming dangerously close to indicating you care about soemthing in the real world, outside of these forums, and that you have a real world personality that is not forums based

i have no fingers and i must post

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nomadologique posted:

Like you could just make it happen at end-turn for the one player who can't make a move at the moment, and make things like instants and interrupts and spells usable it doesn't have to be a hold on while we play the mp4 cutscene. It doesn't have to be Pokemon Stadium.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Get this: you can turn the animations off.

LOL

ok, so you get to wait while the person on the other side of the game, who has animations turned on, watches his

you still get the 30 second delay every time a card does something, even w them off

additionally, if you can turn the animations off, dorks like you will still complain about it

"what's the point of having animations if you can just turn them off?????"

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
also Overwatch has a gorilla and a german robot with a hammer the size of a car

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

LOL

ok, so you get to wait while the person on the other side of the game, who has animations turned on, watches his

you still get the 30 second delay every time a card does something, even w them off

additionally, if you can turn the animations off, dorks like you will still complain about it

"what's the point of having animations if you can just turn them off?????"

I wouldn't complain if animations were optional just like I enjoy the feature in Battle Chess where you can toggle whether the chess pieces are animated.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

hemophilia posted:

Like you could just make it happen at end-turn for the one player who can't make a move at the moment, and make things like instants and interrupts and spells usable it doesn't have to be a hold on while we play the mp4 cutscene. It doesn't have to be Pokemon Stadium.

this really is not what applewhite said, he said the cards come alive and fight each other.

if you run the whole turn, then have a cutscene, what is the point? it doesn't feel at all like the cards are coming alive and fighting each other.

what happens when your cutscene runs longer than the 3 seconds the opponent takes to run his turn?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i have no doubt someone, or more than some one, proposed this very idea during development

and it was shot down because it is, unfortunately, totally unrealistic

they didn't not do it because they hate fun, they didn't do it because it is not fun, it prevents fun, which is the playing of the game

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I think the cards aren't animated because it's supposed to run on a cell phone from 1998

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Zorodius posted:

I think the cards aren't animated because it's supposed to run on a cell phone from 1998

also this

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nomadologique posted:

this really is not what applewhite said, he said the cards come alive and fight each other.

if you run the whole turn, then have a cutscene, what is the point? it doesn't feel at all like the cards are coming alive and fighting each other.

what happens when your cutscene runs longer than the 3 seconds the opponent takes to run his turn?

If it's my call, I don't attempt to breathe this much life into a card game. I'm theorizing ways to do it in fairness of the possibility but seriously no it's dumb, i would for sure skip that feature in applewhite's game or not play your version.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"I don't want to watch monsters do battle, that takes too much time. I'd rather just have combat resolved instantly." - a person who plays videogames, apparently.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

if you actually play the game, yup, that would be the conclusion you would come to after about the 3rd time you watched the monsters do battle.

like, imagine that chess game from star wars where the monsters kill each other. i'm pretty sure that after a hard night drinking space grog, han solo slurs "GET IT OVER W ALREADY" every time he tries to move a piece.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i like quick animations. if it's more than 300 ms i start to get bored

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Effort write up about why Diablo 3's cash store was terrible because a few people were asking.

In Diablo 3 the original drop rate for items was loving horrendous. Especially for a game that in spite of everything blizzard claimed they were doing was essentially a really long single player slog that you could play while staring at your friends avatar. It was so bad that it was possible to get drops for a class you weren't even playing, and not like a Oh hey heres this super amazing weapon for the wrong class! Better put it up on the cash stop so you can buy yourself a weapon for your class! It was almost like every single item and every permutation of those items were on the same drop table so even if you did get an item that didn't match your class it was still nine times out of ten a lovely weapon or item that no one would use anyway.

Combine all of this with the different difficulties being handled in a really lovely way. One would expect that because of the tiered difficulty levels doing one maybe two run throughs of the previous difficulty levels would get you prepared for the next difficulty, but oooh no not blizzard the higher difficulties became almost impossible with out a specific item skill, or a certain type of weapon or armor AND the fact that the only way to even close to reliably get good item drops (again most likely mismatched for your class.) Was by already being able to clear these higher difficulties. All of this, (and the fact that korean bot farmers, and real gold farmers took to the game like flys to poo poo) combined to make a game that was obviously based around Blizzard trying to make some sweet sweet cash and even be so blazen as to sell you the priveledge to get involved. Much like Bitcoins, some people got in fast, and then got out with some cash, but most ended up getting screwed. Oh and the blizzard said HAHA THIS IS ALL TO BROKEN WERE GONNA NERF THAT SWORD YOU JUST SPENT 10 DOLLARS ON K? K.

Edit: forgot to mention that huge nerf they did that ruined some of the items people paid real money for? Happened before they even released pvp, so like... what the hell was the point? I could see if it was in anticipation of releasing pvp, but nope... just blizzard arbitrarily deciding people were killing Diablo 2 fast 4 u or some poo poo.

JimsonTheBetrayer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 26, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Applewhite posted:

"I don't want to watch monsters do battle, that takes too much time. I'd rather just have combat resolved instantly." - a person who plays videogames, apparently.

In pokemon stadium, you didnt skip animations and decisions were made through menus and ultimately the same choice making you did with the cards, minus some elements they were too lazy to adapt on a lazy cash in, but i can promise you it was really not fun or cool after the first few times seeing blastoise shoot his water canons at pikachu

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

poo poo like that is fun at first, don't get me wrong. but it doesn't last. it doesn't keep a player around.

one of my favorite books from when i was a kid was a magic the gathering book where it was just about a magic tournament, where wizards battled with the same spells and poo poo you used in the game. so the whole plotline and whatever was just an excuse to write scenes that were exactly what you imagined you were doing when you played magic.

that was awesome, because instead of putting cards on the table, the wizards summoned real imps that went out and interacted with real bears! and they like, fought! and then somebody would cause an earthquake to open the ground and the imps and the bears would fall in, but the sprites would just fly right over and keep attacking the wizard in the face with their little spears.

right, see, that's cool for two reasons: one, it's a book, and i'm there for that; two, it's dynamic. the bears and the imps don't always do the same thing. they have "real world" creative interactions, at least, if i trust the book.

of course if i could "play" magic the gathering and it would be an actual loving wizard battle i would. but it's not. it will never be. it is a card game, meant to be fun. unfortunately, the fun comes from the mechanical interactions of the cards, and basically from the meta-gaming, which sad to say breaks the "reality" of the game's fiction in favor of understanding that it's a game.

we are human adults, and even if we play dumb loving card games like little baby children, it's still impossible to make that "real" enough in an adult mind to hold the attention. the thing that makes you play the game is the game itself, not pointless and repetitive animations.

why was hearthstone fun for the 2 months that i played it? simple, easy to learn mechanics, quick game resolution, a medium sized meta that takes a while to learn, and the feeling you have as your statistical-gambling mind actively grows and strengthens. by the time you are a "good" player you can see lines of play, and their reasons for and against, in a way that did not exist when you were a "bad" player. that is what is fun about the game.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

in pre-expansion D3 the best way to improve your character was to relist undervalued items on the auction house and use the revenue to buy new gear

playing the game was for chumps. which was just as well, since it was terribly balanced and largely obnoxious

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I played it at launch and that wasn't my experience w/ it at all. I never had a hard time with gear or finding it, actually upgrades were pretty reliable and predictable iirc sometimes you'd get a nice surprise that was useful to you or a friend.

But, as i mentioned i didn't play it with much anticipation to grind and I didn't play very far into the second difficulty tier

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

poo poo like that is fun at first, don't get me wrong. but it doesn't last. it doesn't keep a player around.

one of my favorite books from when i was a kid was a magic the gathering book where it was just about a magic tournament, where wizards battled with the same spells and poo poo you used in the game. so the whole plotline and whatever was just an excuse to write scenes that were exactly what you imagined you were doing when you played magic.

that was awesome, because instead of putting cards on the table, the wizards summoned real imps that went out and interacted with real bears! and they like, fought! and then somebody would cause an earthquake to open the ground and the imps and the bears would fall in, but the sprites would just fly right over and keep attacking the wizard in the face with their little spears.

right, see, that's cool for two reasons: one, it's a book, and i'm there for that; two, it's dynamic. the bears and the imps don't always do the same thing. they have "real world" creative interactions, at least, if i trust the book.

of course if i could "play" magic the gathering and it would be an actual loving wizard battle i would. but it's not. it will never be. it is a card game, meant to be fun. unfortunately, the fun comes from the mechanical interactions of the cards, and basically from the meta-gaming, which sad to say breaks the "reality" of the game's fiction in favor of understanding that it's a game.

we are human adults, and even if we play dumb loving card games like little baby children, it's still impossible to make that "real" enough in an adult mind to hold the attention. the thing that makes you play the game is the game itself, not pointless and repetitive animations.

why was hearthstone fun for the 2 months that i played it? simple, easy to learn mechanics, quick game resolution, a medium sized meta that takes a while to learn, and the feeling you have as your statistical-gambling mind actively grows and strengthens. by the time you are a "good" player you can see lines of play, and their reasons for and against, in a way that did not exist when you were a "bad" player. that is what is fun about the game.

Ugh fine I see your point.

I still want a Hi-Def Battle Chess remake, though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If a bdsm club promises they have a wall that's just a giant lathe you can lean your penis into and grind it away, and you get there and you're sad that it doesn't actually let you grind the whole thing away, I understand your objection but not why you're objecting there's still plenty of spiky poo poo to ram into your bloody piss stump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

hemophilia posted:

I played it at launch and that wasn't my experience w/ it at all. I never had a hard time with gear or finding it, actually upgrades were pretty reliable and predictable iirc sometimes you'd get a nice surprise that was useful to you or a friend.

But, as i mentioned i didn't play it with much anticipation to grind and I didn't play very far into the second difficulty tier

i promise, if you had spent more time on the AH you would've had better gear. but yeah before hell/inferno you could coast by on the garbage that dropped no problem.

• Locked thread