Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Best Friends posted:

1) If you think the United States has any control over what Saudi Arabia sells oil for I don't know what to say. We don't, and never have, and if we did US economic history would be different (thr 70s). Further, at this point it's very doubtful they are even in control of pricing, despite their attempts to maintain appearances of still holding cartel power, because it's not the 70s anymore and oil production is globalized.

quote:

A member of the Saudi royal family with knowledge of the discussions between Mr. Cheney and King Abdullah said the king had presented Mr. Cheney with a plan to raise oil production to force down the price, in hopes of causing economic turmoil for Iran without becoming directly involved in a confrontation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/22/world/middleeast/22saudi.html?pagewanted=2

Maybe it's not direct control, but the US is certainly consulted with by the Saudis w.r.t. oil production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flocons de Jambon posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/22/world/middleeast/22saudi.html?pagewanted=2

Maybe it's not direct control, but the US is certainly consulted with by the Saudis w.r.t. oil production.

If anything, this goes against your point. The Saudis use oil for political leverage, and as a weapon. In the quoted case they elected to approach the US out of their own volition to coordinate actions against a common enemy. That shows the Saudis are willing to work with the Americans when their interests align, but doesn't show they don't retain control over their own policy.

The current price war, aimed against the US and their fracking investments, demonstrates further that the SA has free hand in picking their economic policies and economic partners.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

The current price war, aimed against the US and their fracking investments, demonstrates further that the SA has free hand in picking their economic policies and economic partners.

Yeah, the way it looks to me is that the Saudis are making a play against North American oil and Russia is a fortunate (and not-coincidental) byproduct of that.

If the Saudis can drive the NA interests out of funds they can probably pick up the rights to a good chunk of it and then just sit on it. This is pretty standard operating procedure for monopolies, this is why they were made illegal 100+ years ago. Force your competitors out of business, pick up their assets for a song and profit massively on your now expanded control of the market.

Even if they can't own the north american oil deposits outright they can (and have) let it be known that they will bankrupt any venture that seeks to operate there at will.

special tactics
Oct 13, 2015
Newborn Crimean Boys Received Draft Notices

http://mil.today/2016/Society1/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

special tactics posted:

Newborn Crimean Boys Received Draft Notices

http://mil.today/2016/Society1/
I clicked the link expecting a good old Eastern Block bureaucratic gently caress-up. But no, it's an actual political idea :wtc:. Get'em early.

"...they are supposed to join Russian army on January 24, 2032" - if anyobody was wondering if Russia was planning to exit Crimea.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Palpek posted:

I clicked the link expecting a good old Eastern Block bureaucratic gently caress-up. But no, it's an actual political idea :wtc:. Get'em early.

"...they are supposed to join Russian army on January 24, 2032" - if anyobody was wondering if Russia was planning to exit Crimea.

Well, if things stay the same till that day, expect a sudden rash of Ukrainian patriotism among Crimean 18-year olds on that date.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Well, if things stay the same till that day, expect a sudden rash of Ukrainian patriotism among Crimean 18-year olds on that date.

16-year-olds, actually.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Is there any chance that is a parody website? Some of the other headlines make me think it's possible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Is there any chance that is a parody website? Some of the other headlines make me think it's possible.
It is absolutely not.
http://mil.press/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
loving Starship Troopers is starting to look peachy compared to Russia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

loving Starship Troopers is starting to look peachy compared to Russia.
Wait for Putin to drop a nuke on St. Petersburg.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Lol as if Crimea, Russia or even human life will still exist in 2032. President Trump will see to that.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

A Pale Horse posted:

Lol as if Crimea, Russia or even human life will still exist in 2032. President Trump will see to that.

I am reasonably optimistic that President Trump wouldn't nuke the world because he's been concerned about nuclear proliferation and war since 1987 (long read).

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

I am reasonably optimistic that President Trump wouldn't nuke the world because he's been concerned about nuclear proliferation and war since 1987 (long read).

Don't ruin my dreams of nuclear apocalypse.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Palpek posted:

No, it's not a typical case of radicalization - a typical radicalized immigrant joins an organization, contacts a group or supports terrorist acts (in extreme cases takes part in them) sure but doesn't walk aimlessly around a metro for hours with a decapitated baby head. It's mental illness. It's fueled by current events and political situation sure and it's tragic but it's not somebody getting righteously angry at something, it's pure insanity.

What the gently caress kind of mental gymnastics do you have to put yourself through to come to this conclusion? More to the point, what part of this attack would ISIS (which has loudly and explicitly called for Muslims in the west to carry out independent, unplanned terrorist attacks, I.E. without contacting a group or supporters) disapprove of?

A significant chunk of the population in the middle east - not a majority but well into the whole percentage points - views the destruction of any perceived threat to their belief system (through murder and other violence) to be the highest moral calling in this life. Literally millions of Muslims will be celebrating this murder when they get news of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Liberal_L33t posted:

What the gently caress kind of mental gymnastics do you have to put yourself through to come to this conclusion? More to the point, what part of this attack would ISIS (which has loudly and explicitly called for Muslims in the west to carry out independent, unplanned terrorist attacks, I.E. without contacting a group or supporters) disapprove of?

A significant chunk of the population in the middle east - not a majority but well into the whole percentage points - views the destruction of any perceived threat to their belief system (through murder and other violence) to be the highest moral calling in this life. Literally millions of Muslims will be celebrating this murder when they get news of it.

Please re-read the details of the case and take your particular flavour of Islamophobic batshit back to the Middle East thread.

No, wait, we don't want you there either.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

A lot of the right wing groups Putin is funding in Europe probably celebrated the kid that drowned and washed up on that beach.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's nice to see journalists back then misunderstood technical stuff as much as they do now. Kinda funny to imagine hearing the concept of a nuclear explosion blowing up nearby warheads, and concluding that the idea is that you'd have missiles crashing into each other. Interesting article though, I'm 100% in favor of a 1988 Trump presidency now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
cute.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Liberal_L33t posted:

The case has since been revealed to be an insane woman's horrific act who was jealous about her boyfriend and it had nothing to do with terrorism. Maybe next time slow down and don't use mental gymnastics to drag every unrelated case into sensationalistic terrorism narration.

Murders and sick things like that happen no matter what the current political situation is, they don't immediately have to have a meaning in the larger context but media sure jump on every opportunity (as seen in this case too) to bend them this way because that sells.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also while we're talking about horrific crimes this is what has been blowing up in Polish news for the last 2 weeks: Poland's 'Hannibal Lecter' arrested in Malta.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

blowfish posted:

Russia stronk. World see Russia as weak and disrespect Russia. Russia must send army to take land back and show Russia stronk!

Am I the only one who is tired of the "Russia stronk" meme/gimmick? I don't remember it ever being funny or adding to discussion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

Am I the only one who is tired of the "Russia stronk" meme/gimmick? I don't remember it ever being funny or adding to discussion.
It's also very much real and something that's not bad to be reminded of from time to time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
In lighter news: as part of decommunization, a village in Transcarpathia had its Lenin Street renamed Lennon Street.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

In lighter news: as part of decommunization, a village in Transcarpathia had its Lenin Street renamed Lennon Street.

Considered by some to also be a prominent communist?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

OddObserver posted:

I look forward to seeing statues of Groucho in city squares.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Palpek posted:

Also while we're talking about horrific crimes this is what has been blowing up in Polish news for the last 2 weeks: Poland's 'Hannibal Lecter' arrested in Malta.

quote:

Detectives believe he murdered the 30-year-old woman with one of the samurai swords he collected, and then dismembered her body. He transported the remains back to his home and set the house on fire before fleeing the country.

Any word on his goon status?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Murgos posted:

Considered by some to also be a prominent communist?

There is an exception for people known mainly for their cultural or scientific accomolishments, IIRC.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

You know what that image is about, right?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Why is there a hammer and sickle on the top left corner. Is this national bolshevism?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Shouldn't it be a smaller head?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

Why is there a hammer and sickle on the top left corner. Is this national bolshevism?

Plain[*] bolshevism. The site is by the Communist Party of Russian Federation.

[*] Very Russian imperial nationalist these days.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Copying over a post from the Right Wing Media thread:

quote:

Wash. man accidentally kills himself while taking a selfie with his gun, police say

Why is this relevant to Eastern Europe? Guess where the problem of selfie death is most severe!(India, technically, but hey)

quote:

In Russia, where a woman almost died after inadvertently shooting herself while posing for a photo with a gun she had found, Russia’s Internal Affairs Ministry published a brochure instructing citizens on safe selfie habits.

“A selfie with guns kills,” read the warning next to an image of a stick figure holding a camera and a gun, slashed out by a red line.

“Along with all the advantages of the modern world there appear new threats,” Russian official Yelena Alekseyeva said at a news conference, according to CNN. “We would like to remind the citizens that the chase for ‘likes’ in social networks can lead to the road of death.”

I feel like these are good avatar material. If only there was one with a stick figure and a SAM, we could give it to BM...

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I guess that in Russia "1000 Ways to Die" feels rather bland.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rincewinds posted:

I guess that in Russia "1000 Ways to Die" feels rather bland.

You mean Dumb Ways to Die?

(Bodies don't explode in space!)

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
So, Finnish news told today that 5 of the top generals of Polish army have resigned and more will probably follow. Does that mean that PiS is purging army in addition to justice system?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Valiantman posted:

So, Finnish news told today that 5 of the top generals of Polish army have resigned and more will probably follow. Does that mean that PiS is purging army in addition to justice system?

Its a protest resignation. The new minister of defense, Antoni "birch trees can't bring down airplanes, even if you crash into them" Macierewicz has said he plans to purge the officer ranks of anyone who was trained during the communist era, especially those trained in the Soviet Union. That's about 1/2 to 2/3 of the senior officer staff so they're just getting a head start. The chiefs of the army, navy and air forces all resigned and are already being called traitors by the right.

In slightly related news:

The text reads: The Venice Commission definitively concluded that Poland has not yet risen from her knees (a right wing election slogan) but is stuck in a Slavic squat.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bunch of old dudes with secured pensions simply being fed up with crazyman Macierewicz, being dragged around for dumb Smolenskian anniversaries and poo poo all the time and anticipating general insufferableness when the good change takes its turn to take a look at the army.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Another fun thing: The Kukiz '15 party, theoretically in opposition but in reality PiS lapdog, have invited members of the Assad regime to meet with them in the Sejm. Nationalists love themselves a war criminal dictator, how shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

One more thing. The new justice minister is doing away with the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine, meaning any evidence gathered illegally will be admissible in court. :psyduck:

This country is becoming a sick joke.