Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Fighting wars in two countries, even if Russian authorities deny involvement in one of them has to be expensive, especially when it costs 84,00 rubles to buy a euro.
Bloomberg had this pic in an article a short while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

quote:

During his visit to Crimea, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev was confronted by frustrated pensioners, the Meduza news website reported on Tuesday.

“What is 8,000 rubles ($120)! It's misery,” said one woman.
Source.

Video here, can anyone add any info to the exchange?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSq7oxM_fyo

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

Which countries have taken on corruption and have managed to clear it out? What has worked and what has not?
Georgia was quite successful in dealing with corruption. The previous president, Saakashvili, fired 85%+ of police officers in Georgia and asked for US assistance in training new recruits - he threw the baby out with the bath water. Saakashvili did other reforms too, he does have critics who say he overstepped his powers as President but I'm guessing he will be remembered well.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

So with these elections and followup arrests where to now for the establishment and opposition? It just seems over time there are more protests and frequent arrests.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Nitrox posted:

For anyone familiar with the situation in Russia, this hurts very much. Because it's much closer to the actual truth than the empty rhetoric
Care to elaborate? Putin really wants wages to stagnate? He used Russians improved quality of life for many years to justify his leadership.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Basically, when the oil prices feel, so did the Russian economy. Nobody in the government is working to improve the lives of average Russian citizen.
I get that much. But from your previous posts reading to me was that any real wages improvement just seem to be against government policy.

quote:

He obviously misspoke, but the wording couldn't be better. "One of our main agendas is to curb the rise of income levels of citizens", is my rough translation. For anyone familiar with the situation in Russia, this hurts very much. Because it's much closer to the actual truth than the empty rhetoric
Lost in translation I guess but it implies that this what Putin is actively doing. Rather than just being neglectful and prioritising everything else.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

All of this while their ability to save money has dropped to the level of 90s, and the share of regular spending funded by savings and loans has grown roughly 50% year-over-year for Q4 2017 to Q4 2018.
How long can this last for? Or how much further to go before Russia is back to where it was in 1990?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

It's good the see the trial happening but what are the end results if the defendants are found guilty? They can't exactly be punished.

In other news it seems that Russia has rebuffed the Saudis.

quote:

OPEC and key ally Russia failed to agree Friday on a cut to oil production that would have contained the plunge in the price of crude caused by the new coronavirus outbreak’s massive disruption to world business.

The price of oil fell sharply in international markets as a result, with the international benchmark plunging 9.4%, down by a third since the start of the year.

While cheaper oil will translate into more affordable energy for consumers and businesses, it hurts producing countries and companies. Thousands of workers have already been laid off in the U.S. oil patch.
Is Russia just hoping that OPEC will cut production first? I can't imagine they could sustain their budget at $35 for oil.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Man the range of emotions in that video is something.
It was implied in the subtitles that they were conscripts. They were high on the propaganda that has been fed to them for the past 30 years. Give better context with all the protesting in Yerevan about the defeat.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Or is it even more general "the Muslim hordes are coming to kill Christians"?
I think it was this one. Turkic people in Armenia, I assume would be closely associated with Islam.

Randarkman posted:

As is extremely common for nearly all soldiers to be in armies that recruit via some system of mandatory military service. Them being conscripts isn't really something they have to hide.
The subtitles were good but maybe a few details were lost in translation.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

French Canadian posted:

It's interesting. But I'm a dumb american and can't follow it all. Russian journos riding along with Azerbaijanis? And when they say "the enemy" they mean Armenians? When I think Russian journo I think RT and kinda glaze over. But this seems more just like some journo who happens to be from Russia yeah?
He is riding along with Armenian forces. This is his FB page.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I cannot help but laugh at the mold problem they had when they first built it and they had to do it over again.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Paladinus posted:

It at least shows that mismanagement of various governmental projects in Russia is not completely intentional, as they mismanage their personal projects as well.
Well yeah. But its such an oversight and the fact that these contractors were working for what they would have known to be people near or even Putin I would have thought they would put in some effort not to gently caress up.

Also why is the palace built in the Caucasus'? I know the climate is good but the security situation has never been great there and it's not far from Crimea, I thought it would be somewhere a little less dangerous.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Somaen posted:

In any case as one pundit on the Echo of Moscow put it, you don't build gaudy unmaintanable poo poo like that for anyone to live in, you build it to show who is on the top of the food chain and owns all the money
I agree with that but I would hate to see the consequences of someone slipping some artillery piece and setting up 15KM away and reigning down shells while Putin and company are enjoying a hookah while a former gymnast is pole dancing. I know it sounds paranoid but the building of a holiday residence in a region that has been unstable in recent times despite all the cash thrown at it is not a smart idea.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

Putin today in one of his "public" q&as said it wasnt his palace, what was the direct evidence navalny presented that it was?
There is never evidence tying Putin to the palace (or many other schemes) but in the video of the palace various points about the no fly zone (only reserved for nuclear reactors and military bases), boats having to avoid the palace coast line by 1 mile and FSB leased area that directly hugs most of the palace grounds makes it look like someone with multiple connections in Russian government has a hand in this. If the video has 75+ million views Putin should at least give a decent answer.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

It's good to see all these protests happening but I do not have high hopes that they will lead to better outcomes for Russian citizens. They will probably be cracked down on and they will fizzle out and Putin will give more power to the Rosgvardia.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

How much surface water storage does Crimea have? Looking as those reservoirs they seem very small and I find it unbelievable that Russia didn't do something about this much sooner and with more urgency.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

BigRoman posted:

build enough desalinization plants to make up for the deficit?
The Caspian Report video said no and the fact that Crimea is under sanction means international firms wouldn't risk taking up contracts there either. According to wikipedia there are no desalination plants in Russia although there is one in Kazakhstan

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Love my extremely normal country and its extremely honest leadership with ~secret~ offsprings like its 1612
I am more shocked that it went unknown for so long.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Continuity NIP posted:

He has to crash at his friends palaces, the poor guy

Lol

What's happening with the Russian protests now? Have they just died out? Or suppressed effectively?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

That's like Texas weather, man.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Russian news agency RIA reports of a pretty :stonk: air force accident at a military airfield near Kaluga involving a Tu-22M strategic bomber. Not a crash, which have happened in recent years. No, this sounds way worse, for some reason.
Russia seems to have a lot of these aircraft failures compared to other militaries. I doubt when these aircraft were originally deployed decades ago Soviet designers were expecting them to be deployed this long into the 21st century. The 5th generation Russian fighter will only have 12 units built and is delayed years, shows you how bad things are.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

The NKVD still totally recieves respect in Russia, they have a very prominent day of the Chekist, and Putin embraces his KGB past.
To get anywhere in Russia a good way to go is join the intelligence community.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Erulisse posted:

If someone is downplaying Chinese Uyghur concentration camps (they are concentration camps, china is seriously genociding a whole nation of people), they should be permaed.
Funny you should say that!

Russia is probably fudging Covid-19 statistics

quote:

The official Russian coronavirus death toll of 102,649 as of Saturday — reported on state television and to the World Health Organization — is far lower, when adjusted for the population, than that of United States and most of Western Europe.

However, a far different story is told by the official statistics agency Rosstat, which tallies deaths from all causes. Russia saw a jump of 360,000 deaths above normal from last April through December, according to a Times analysis of historical data. Rosstat figures for January and February of this year show that the number is now well above 400,000.

In the United States, with more than twice the population of Russia, such “excess deaths” since the start of the pandemic have numbered about 574,000. By that measure, which many demographers see as the most accurate way to assess the virus’s overall toll, the pandemic killed about one in every 400 people in Russia, compared with one in every 600 in the United States.
Such is life :(

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Wouldn't moving their borders westwards make them closer to US influence? It will be interesting to see what sort of new sanctions and measures the US and EU will do next.

I wonder if this recent escalation in words and supposed military equipment has anything to do with the recently discussed water shortage in Crimea? The situation in Ukraine has simmered away for a while and now this sort of invasion chat is now entering the Russian political conversation.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Slashrat posted:

I don't know if this is the right place for cuba chat,
Unless Cuba is part of east Europe it is probably the wrong place. I know there is leeway with central Asian states but Cuba is in another 'hemisphere'.

tit for tat

quote:

Russia says it is banning eight top current and former US government officials from entering the country in response to US sanctions.

The Russian foreign ministry said in a statement those banned included FBI Director Christopher Wray, Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines, US Attorney General Merrick Garland and Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas.

Others to face an entry ban include Director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons Michael Carvajal, Director of the Domestic Policy Council Susan Rice, former US national security advisor John Bolton and ex-CIA head Robert James Woolsey.
Why bother with has-beens like John Bolton? Ain't gonna do poo poo.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

These guys are literally doing James Bond poo poo. State authorised assassination with exotic poison, blowing up weapon caches, traveling around under multiple identities in countries only for a few days. Can't wait to find out a mass shooting in the US was them getting into a firefight with a VIP detail.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

quote:

Such efforts extend beyond Stalin. In Moscow, government prosecutors recently declared that the dismantling of a monument to Soviet intelligence chief Felix Dzerzhinsky was illegal. The statue had stood in front of the FSB’s headquarters on Lubyanka Square but was pulled down in 1991. Now, it may be resurrected in the place where it once stood.
This is very pathetic. Pretty funny when a foreigner comes in to Russia to rule them with an iron fist they can't stop themselves from worshiping them.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Troops need to happen through NATO. The EU has no troops. Also not sure what it's supposed to accomplish exactly. Are we pretending to threaten Belarus with an invasion? Are we demonstrating resolve against a possible Belorussian invasion of the EU?
I am confused too with the demands for an EU military intervention. Restricting aviation to and from a country is a big deal and there is still room to escalate if Lukashenko tries to do other poo poo.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

This or the ME one. The same twitter account posted the the Armenia defence ministry stated that they were captured on their side of the border. So who the gently caress knows what's going on. Although the Azerbaijanis know they can get away with poo poo now that have beaten Armenia into submission.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

Well, they did have a water shortage before so it evens out over time!
There are probably people who seriously argue this. What is the water capacity for Crimea's dams reservoirs anyway? I cannot seem to find anything online and looking at the peninsula on Google maps all the reserviors look too small to keep the place fed with water for a year with a population of 2.5 million. Also a few reviews of those reservoirs complain how they have dried up or nearly dried up.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

:stare:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Shooting at a Russian Uni

quote:

8 people killed in shooting at Russian university
Moscow (CNN)At least eight people were killed when a gunman opened fire at a university in the Russian city of Perm on Monday, officials have said.
A suspect entered the Perm State University campus, some 1,300 kilometers (800 miles) east of Moscow, "with an offensive weapon" and began shooting on Monday morning, the university said on its Telegram channel.
Some students and teachers locked themselves into classrooms during the attack, the university's press service said, state media agency RIA Novosti reported.

Others were seen in footage captured by local media throwing their belongings out of first-floor windows before jumping down and running to safety.
Pretty nasty. What are gun laws like in Russia?[/url]

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Paladinus posted:

She was too principled.
According to a google search she didn't vote in favour of raising the retirement age and didn't want to recognize Turkish Cyprus in exchange for Russia Crimea from Ankara. Are these the reasons she was given an obscure post?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Paladinus posted:

So now introducing literally any anti-covid measures that affect common people means losing face for Lukashenko personally, who called covid a hysteria and 'jokingly' claimed you can cure it by working in the field on a tractor. He doesn't care about anything else.
Russia is having some COVID problems due to vaccine hesitancy.

quote:

Russia orders new lockdowns in Moscow as COVID deaths continue to climb
The Moscow city government has ordered people aged 60 and over to stay home for four months and told businesses to have at least 30 per cent of staff work from home amid a surge in COVID-19 cases and deaths in Russia.....

Daily death tolls have been surging for weeks and topped 1,000 for the first time over the weekend amid sluggish vaccination rates, lax public attitudes toward taking precautions and the government's reluctance to toughen restrictions.

Russia boasted about becoming the first country in the world to authorise a coronavirus vaccine in August 2020 — even though it was only tested on a small scale — and proudly named the shot Sputnik V after the world's first satellite, to underline the country's scientific achievements.

While extolling Sputnik and three other domestic vaccines developed later, Russia's state-controlled media chafed at the perceived flaws of Western-made shots, a controversial message that many observers saw as feeding public doubts about vaccines.
Good work everyone!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oh look they'd go for Mariupol and odessa immediately
If there was an offensive I doubt they would push as far as Odessa. I would assume they would reach the Dnieper River and anchor themselves there and that would be the most extreme case.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

barbecue at the folks posted:

I really wonder if Die Grüne are gonna go for it and refuse to authorize opening Nord Stream II, it would be the kind of stuff that would make for some interesting foreign policy news in the near future :getin:
Aren't the German Greens very anti-nuclear? It will be difficult to make up an energy deficit while trying to cut the gas as a geopolitical weapon.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

Clancy chat became a meaningless term when Russia invaded georgia a decade and a half ago ... a plot from a clancy book
Pretty sure that was the plot of Ghost Recon.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I agree with you. But the language in some of these speeches implies the opposite. The example below is not related to this NATO statement
Joining a multi-national institution can't be done over a weekend. Georgia (or to be more specific the president) wanted to join NATO but there were obstacles involved. Georgia had internal conflicts with South-Ossetia and Abkhazia that are conflicts deliberately backed by the Kremlin. A similar situation is happening in Donbas. I don't like guessing the future but Ukraine joining NATO won't happen unless major changes happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

The current arrangement is dominated by Turkey. Azerbaijan and Turkey got everything they wanted, Russia's security client Armenia got absolutely punked, and the division Russia has sitting in Nag-Kar for peacekeeping has done nothing to stop the skirmishing.
Russian policy was not to interfere with the war unless absolutely necessary, they have good relations with Azerbaijan too. While Azerbaijan managed to unfreeze the frozen conflict, Russia has 2000 peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh now and who knows when they will leave? It's not a zero sum game and multiple countries made gains. The losers were Iran and Armenia. Also any flare up of violence in the area is generally used to Russia's advantage, never let a crisis go to waste.