Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

charismatic Andrzej Duda

Well then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Why can't Poles be as smart as dogs?

Put this in the rotation for the thread title

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Mental healthcare has been virtually non-existent throughout the Soviet Union.

Uh, slow progressive schizophrenia? :colbert:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...Well, did it work?

Or do we have this document because it was part of his arrest file? :v:
They prolly shot him, those gung-ho Romanians!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Eastern Europe: Word on Tanks

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

DrProsek posted:

Not gonna lie, T-Rex fighting knights is a great hook for an alt-history fiction series. I can understand wanting that to be real.

It's a shame the Konrad Stargard guy is dead but maybe someone else will take the mantle. Maybe even one of the lolbertarian polish sci fi writers.

:poland: :poland: :poland: best $30 I've ever spent supporting this dead gay forum

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Die Hard 2 is already the perfect Smolensk movie.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

We already have a successful institution in the form of Centrum Badań Kosmicznych (Space Research Center), which supplies various ESA missions in technical know how and instruments, but I guess we needed another one.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I hope PiS lives up to its populist message and institutes a national holiday on 10th of every month.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

After watching that trailer I have to express my new found fondness for the production quality of Polish docu-soaps, which stand head and shoulders above what is displayed here.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Without watching that trailer, does this documentary even bother to mention that air control told the pilot it was too foggy to land in Smolensk and advised them to reroute to Minsk? I recall this being an important detail.

It's a feature film and probable Polish candidate for Academy Awards. Facts are irrelevant.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

:poland: piss and poo, back and forth, forever :poland:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Gantolandon posted:

I would elaborate how much the Polish Catholic Church is out of control, but instead I'm going to leave here a quote from a Polish priest.

"It's a myth! There is no such quote in the Holy Scripture where Jesus tells people to share their wealth. It's Cathomarxism, a collection of stereotypes which are used to create a religion. Jesus didn't say anything about sharing their income. He helped the poor, but had plenty of rich friends and didn't tell them "Oi, you have too much money, give some off."

Oh look I went as far as translating the Supply Side Jesus comic just for the occasion, back when Father Jacek said what had to be said about Cathomarxism. Sadly, didn't take wykop.pl by storm, I wonder what gives...

Here it is http://imgur.com/a/g7TwX/

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 27, 2016

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Truth be told I only skimmed this topic, but wasn't there an article in Polityka (decidedly not pro "good change") which kinda, sorta said that there's something to this years long mismanagement of Bialowieza forest and the beetle plague? It would be similar to the time where U.S. National Park Services put out any and all fires in National Sequoia Park, causing an imbalance in the ecosystem. Now they purposely set fire to parts of the park or just don't suppress the ones which occur naturally and the forest is healthier for it.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Whew, glad i'm neither a woman nor a gynecologist.

Dodged a bullet there.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Communists unironically had some good ideas.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes it's a good idea to bully people for their beliefs. You know I think Iran has a good way to run itself.
Don't take it from me, take it from the people who want to bully imprison women for believing in the right to decide about their bodies.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

I honestly have no idea how anyone watches movies on tv anymore in this tyool of our lord 2016. Unless it's a paid channel specifically for movies (or a public station I guess), it's something like 20min sections interrupted by 10min blocks of commercials. Seems like a weird thing to be upset about in comparison.

There are no viable legal alternatives in Poland (Netflix is in its infancy, Polish VOD services are laughable). Buying/renting from places like iTunes or google play is too expensive. Piracy holds strong thanks to our comparatively lax piracy laws (only seeders can potentially be prosecuted).

steinrokkan posted:

And even if it's a feature movie, it's still dubbed by the worst, cheapest actors possible. I suspect that recently TV stations started bringing drugged up hobos to the studio to do the work for free, because no other alternative makes sense.

Thankfully in Poland we only have a clique of rather professional "lectors" who voice all characters in a given movie. None of the pseudo dubbing they have in Russia or dubbing done "right" (it's never right) as in Germany. I'd buy a TV for real if we switched to subtitles like in Scandinavia.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Hey guise, in POland we have the trailer voiceover guy reading all the lines on tv, I don't know if you've heard.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Gantolandon posted:

Actually, the station claims the movie has already been censored by Americans for their TV channels and they got it in such state.

That's actually very probable and probably cheaper for Polsat to broadcast the cut version to boot.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I took part in a filming of one episode of a Polish docudrama. Yes I was in front of a camera. Yes I had spoken lines.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I wish. I wasn't actually featured in a shot like this with me speaking to the camera.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

thehoax posted:

My friend was a boom operator in "Trudne sprawy" once. He recalls that filming a single line of dialogue required up to twenty takes, since the "actors" couldn't even speak clearly and remember two sentences of the script.

My singular experience is that the director thought the script was total poo poo (justifiably so), rewrote most of the lines on the spot, added or removed scenes, and in the end told us to get in the role and improvise. Every member of the crew hated being there.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

200zl for something like 2 scenes/4 lines. I did some extra work on a "normal" tv show also and it was 50 per day.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

“One day the great European War will come out of some damned foolish thing in the Eastern Europe thread”

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

:siren: ANNUAL SMOLENSK AUDIOPHILE DUMP :siren:

The experts, armed with the newest in monster cable technology, wooden volume knobs and obsidian cable supports have once again outdone themselves and brought out the analogue warmth of these classic recordings.

Now even more richness of tones can be heard. Where once there were mere unintelligible k.. and ch...s now we can clearly appreciate all the kurwas and chujs defining this monumental fuckup of trying to land a plane in zero visibility, or else...

http://www.tvn24.pl/niepublikowane-nagrania-z-kokpitu-tu-154m,634833,s.html

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

birch please

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

sparatuvs posted:

What I never got about the Smolensk theory is how is Russia supposed to benefit from killing the president of Poland? At least 9/11 truthers make some deluded sense about needing 9/11 to justify wars.

It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

1. Putin shot down the plane because Kaczynski "played him" in Georgia
2. Tusk shot down the plane to ensure the presidency for Komorowski
3. Macierewicz shot down the plane to ensure the ultimate PiS victory down the line

My money is on numero tres

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

sparatuvs posted:

Isn't the wing of the polish Air Force responsible for VIP transport notoriously incompetent. Like the president was already in one helicopter crash, that he survived, before the Smolensk crash.

That was Leszek Miller, prime minister at the time and the helicopter was at fault then, not the pilot who actually managed to save everyone on board thanks to skillz. But there was a military CASA airplane crash with 20 fatalities thanks to tremendous negligence of pilots not long before Smolensk.

e: BTW, after the Miller crash no one said it was the ruskies trying to off our beloved PM???

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 12, 2016

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

We are over budget after ordering a set of spare tires for Duda you dummies!

[insert simcity advisor graphic here]

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Slave coming from slav by way of Byzantium is a pretty established theory I think.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Lechites or bust

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

alex314 posted:

Impressive result for Poland.

We're preparing the ground for "helping" the Polish population in Western Ukraine.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A Pale Horse posted:

Lol, we have one of the most ethnically homogeneous countries in the world and we can barely hold it together, imagine what trying to rule over a deeply multi-ethnic, multi-cultural nation like Miedzymorze was supposed to be would be like. Pilsudski was a great man, but always a bit of an optimist I think.

Pilsudski also led a deeply multi ethnic, multicultural nation, so Miedzymorze was just "a little" more of the same.

gently caress I tear up everytime when I think about what we lost because of WW2

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Kids are :black101: as gently caress, I condone this.

Edit: the law has a storied history in modern Poland. Mostly related to repression of artistic expression.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Palpek posted:

The prosecution sucks though because get this - in the case of insulting religious beliefs the defendant can't win. The Polish law is written like that, look it up. Basically when a case like this gets to court the judge can't decide that the religious beliefs haven't been insulted because if 'the victim' says they were then that's that. the judge can only influence how big the penalty will be.

Nah, Nergal got off for ripping pages from the bible during a concert and so did Nieznalska and she literally printed photos of penises on crosses.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 26, 2016

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Palpek posted:

Nieznalska was actually found guilty so lol.

Uh, no she wasn't. Found not guilty in 2010 after a nine year slog

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Palpek posted:

Ok, this still shows how ridiculous the law is and that two 13 year-old boys would be crushed by it as it's not something you can easily defend yourself against, can we agree to that?

Agreed 100% and with that I hope that this laughable case of a man seeking out stuff to be "offended" with will get thrown out of court. If not, pickets in front of the building every day

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

alex314 posted:

Polish nationalists:

I admire this rare moment of introspection when faced with the glorification of child soldiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A Pale Horse posted:

I don't know if you're being silly or you missed it but he's pissing on that child soldier's monument.

edit: for non-Poles his shirt say "Death to Enemies of the Fatherland"

Yes I get it. If a right wing numbnut figures out we should not be celebrating child soldiers* I am all for it even if his method of expression stems from the urethra.

*note that this is my headcanon only