Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

biglads posted:

Thanks. I find his acquittal quite shocking. I find it very hard to believe he wasn't complicit it any way.
Here's one of his Twitter updates from December. "Here I am, butchering again" :smug:

And some flag burning pics from a recent gallery of his "antics since returning from the Hague". (his earlier release for medical reasons, not the acquittal)

Far as I can tell, only minor parties and NGOs are condemning the aquittal in Serbia. Lots of commentary in the vein of "But Ante Gotovina was acquitted too!"
Ugggh, that's enough Serbian politics for today.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I just read an alternate timeline somewhere in which a Russian-Estonian bar-room brawl started WW3 between NATO and Russia and the majority of the urban western world went up in smoke. Next loving year.

In the utmost of seriousness, do I need to prepare for WW3 or other paranoid-filled poo poo? Or am I taking such a scenario too seriously?
I secretly have the feeling that Putin would never try to pull this poo poo. But the feeling of doom is nagging me.

"Winter-safe Deterrence: The Risk of Nuclear Winter and Its Challenge to Deterrence" (2015) posted:

A larger nuclear exchange involving American and Russian arsenals would cause further disruption. An exchange of about 1,200 weapons could produce about 50 teragrams of smoke, causing temperatures to fall by about 4°C. For 4,000 weapons – around what New START prescribes – there could be 150 teragrams of smoke, with a temperature fall of about 8°C. Agriculture failure would be so severe and widespread that it becomes easier to count the survivors than the fatalities. Climate scientist Alan Robock, who has led many of the recent nuclear winter studies, expects some survivors ‘especially in Australia and New Zealand’. While this is hardly a cheerful evaluation, even this may be too optimistic. Hopefully some people somewhere would find some way to survive. But the conditions would be harsh enough that survival is no guarantee.
Not much point preparing or wasting your time worrying. :rip:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Interesting article on the far right in Croatia.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I hope Trump is elected president and it turns out he's way poorer than he brags about and has massive secret debts to Putin who then ends up controlling the US president.
Tom Clancy's "The Second Orange Revolution"

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Was it? I thought Stalin alone managed to rack up a higher kill count than the Nazis, not to mention all the suppressions that followed.
Generalplan Ost

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
T minus 5 posts to Suvorov/Icebreaker.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdrCsB23GoU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Remember how ridiculous the idea of the GLA was when C&C Generals came out? :sigh:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Can anyone post that Russian Eurovision song with Ukraine footage edited in?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

katlington posted:

Is ukraine really unsafe for gay people or something?
http://ilga-europe.org/sites/default/files/2016/ukraine.pdf
Seems pretty bad even by EE standards, but laughably hypocritical for Russia to be calling them out for it.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 16, 2016

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Is that a Chomsky joke?
http://www.bentoandstarchky.com/dec/containmentpolicy.htm

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Isn't South Ossetia pretty safe/friendly too? I would be skeptical of any "bus accidents" in Syria, but don't see a reason to get all :tinfoil: over this.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
:sad:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

slavatuvs posted:

Maybe it is in the same place where your political rivals vanish to.
Or maybe it "volunteered" to go fight ISIS cats in Syria?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

That kitten was Hitler's familiar, and his soul jumped into it when he committed suicide. Currently it's wondering the earth, like Cain, sentenced to experience the infinity of human folly.
Grant Morrison's newest comic sounds amazing.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I hope that Ukranian leaders realize that they must not allow a tractor gap! :belarus:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
First Crimea, now being humiliated by Northern Ireland, poor Ukraine. :(

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Those banknotes are super ugly and boring.
They should just have screengrabs from Come and See for all their banknotes. :black101:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I hope it's not like a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits type of thing where the "computer" is actually a human brain taken from a person who went missing.
They probably dug Trotsky's brain out of some Stalin-era bunker. Poor little robot is just trying to spread the revolution/look for Frida Kahlo. :smith:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
:tinfoil: Poland is reviving the Międzymorze. :tinfoil:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

No, it's a revival of the Promethean Movement - a 1920s initiative of providing support for cultural and political projects of Soviet-conquered nations (mostly from the Black Sea area) in order both to preserve their national continuity and spread dissent in the fringes of the Soviet empire. That project was spearheaded by Tatar and Georgian émigrés, but included many other nationalities - Ukrainians, Azeris, I think Abkhazians, Chechnyans and Cherkes as well.

The other lasting testament to the traditional Polish-Tatar friendship was that the first book to be published in Tatar after the Soviet ban on the language was lifted were the Crimean Sonnets by Polish poet Mickiewicz.
Whoops, confused two different things I learned from event popups in Hearts of Iron. :bang:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Brown Moses is the coup. Enjoy your new position as Ataturk II: Electric Boogaloo, BM!
Goon Paradox LPs are getting seriously out of control.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Constant Hamprince posted:

Breaking: Turkish President Brown Moses presses 'Form Byzantium' button, all Turkish flags immediately turn purple.
Russia Today: Autokratos Brown Moses fabricating claims on Muscovy, exclusive report from Graham Phillips.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

So I wonder what the US is doing to keep Turkish Intelligence from assassinating Gulen?
Carefully monitoring nearby climbing gear stores?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

slavatuvs posted:

Sadly he's 94 and has cancer. I think him and the tsar of Bulgaria are the only two leaders from WW2 still alive, although Simeon II was like 6 when he got the throne.
Speaking of which...

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I really don't understand why some leftists love Putin so much.
Amerikkka bad, anyone opposing it must therefore be good

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Pussy Cartel posted:

I loved his writing for NSFWCorp, but he always came across as being something of a nihilistic rear end in a top hat more interested in bringing down AmeriKKKa than in actually creating a better world.
And then there's all the horrible misogyny

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Jygallax posted:

Would it be conceivable that if the Republika Srbska became independent that it might join Serbia? I don't know enough about the politics of that region to know if that's plausible or even something anyone wants.
It would be as destabilizing as Kosovo joining Albania and would probably make the calls for that significantly louder, so it probably wouldn't happen? :shrug:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Nenonen posted:

As a result of all this Sweden has now decided to make the unit of 150 soldiers on Gotland permanent immediately instead of 2018, and Swedish commander has been openly saying that Russians are threatening Sweden's security (without telling how) while Russia ofc disapproves such false insinuations.
What's the usual garrison that these 150 troops are being added to? Doesn't seem like much for such a large island if it's just them. :confused:
edit: Looks like there is a Home Guard battalion usually stationed on Gotland too.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Vintage :tito: 70s racism story from my dad (not the poster):
Libyan exchange student in Zagreb being beaten and forced to climb a tree and beg for bananas. :stonkhat:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Whoops, guess you're right.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Well, it's finally happened, Trump has had his "Slobo did nothing wrong" moment. :tito:
http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-apologizes-serbia-yugoslavia-bombing-509417

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Speaking of the former Yugoslavia, who else is hyped for Republika Srpska's independence referendum in 2018? :thumbsup:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Fushigi Yuugi fansub posted:

shouldn't 152mm artillery rounds pulverize a building? the pictures make it look like a bunch of kids threw some rocks at the windows.
Yeah these seem to be just broken windows from the artillery hitting nearby houses, based on some Twitter searching.

Here's a random photo of WW2 152mm shell damage from our very own EE:

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 15, 2016

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

alex314 posted:

Anyone can confirm recent russian boasts about their massive wheat production? Their TV says sanctions were the best thing ever, now their agriculture is totally self-sufficient and exporting.
I can't comment on the last part but the large wheat crop claim is true according to the UN.

quote:

While low international prices are expected to encourage larger imports by several countries, the Russian Federation is envisaged to emerge as the world’s biggest wheat exporter in 2016/17.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
There's also a record crop in the Ukraine and Kazakhstan though. :confused:

Here's the Financial Times piece.

Don't worry, Russia is still bad at these things.

quote:

On top of strong output growth around the world, a lack of good quality storage in Russia will mean that this year’s competition on the wheat market will be especially fierce. With storage limited in the face of a record crop, Russian farmers and grain handlers will turn to overseas markets, leading to heavy exports especially in the months immediately after the harvest, says Arthur Marshall, analyst at AHDB Market Intelligence. “The scale of Russian wheat exports may be particularly large in the first part of this season,” he says.

The future performance of Russian exports relies mainly on the weather, as well as currency fluctuations. Farmers and exporters have also been lobbying for the lifting of an export tax, designed to prevent a shortage on the domestic market as traders sought foreign currency amid the sharp fall in the rouble by selling grain.

With so much grain produced in the country this year and heightened competition on the international markets, the duty puts Russia at a disadvantage, say analysts.

“If the government continues to limit wheat exports, the crop production is likely to stagnate or decline medium term,” warns Mr Sizov.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 1, 2016

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Russia is taking over a lot of the grain and certain areas of Eastern Europe. And I said you take away their wheat, that you go and knock the hell out of the grain, take back the grain. We take over the grain, which we should have done in the first place.
Low energy American grain production this year! :sad:

quote:

The issue for US wheat this year is its quality, as the cool and wet temperatures have increased yields but protein levels, key for some types of wheat flour, have fallen, according to analysts.

“There is plenty of supply of low protein stuff,” says Ms Reynolds.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Saddest aspect of the nutria thing is that it's just a recycled foodie trend that was a thing in the US 10 years ago afaik

edit: guess it's still a thing
Invasive Species Cookbook entry

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 1, 2016

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
"Waste perfectly good potato to try catch rat?" :belarus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Welp, the ultimate proof will be the actual exports in 2017 I guess? :shrug: Can't fake those.

edit: Hybrid grain warfare
edit2: meant to say 2017

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 2, 2016