Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

No, the Ukrainian army is garbage. It basically are those militia's. They don't have the money to even use what they have.

False. Basically all the fightig was done by the army, while miliia commanders were posting on Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^
Right Sector is also one of the very few groups that refused any kind of legal status, too. Like most units were at least nominally reporting to interior ministry
from the very first day of their creation (and were since generally either incorporated directly into National Guard, Armed Forces, or in a few cases disbanded
because they were just using their uniforms as cover for crime), but Right Sector Volunteers Corps were literary some dudes (and some ladies) with hunting rifles
that later picked up some actual military equipment on the spot.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

They're really not that alarmed at all by Putin encroaching into Eastern Europe like this? I thought NATO was increasing troop presence and exercises all over the region. Are they really just okay with Ukraine flailing like this?
I guess.

Their voters don't care, and only time Ukraine is likely to get mentioned in the news is when there are fisticuffs/Prime Minister getting ballet-lifted in the Parliament, not things like yet-another
serviceman getting killed or wounded just about every day. (Though I think the state of Ukrainian army is severely underestimated by some of the folks herein).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

40% drop in car sales in 2015

A couple of Western luxury car manufacturers had record years of sales in Russia, however.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Your line of thought is the penultimate achievement of Putin's policies.

Bonus points for mention of "lack of alternatives" on one year anniversary of the Nemtsov assassination.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

McDowell posted:

America needs to meet Putin by injecting some Limonov into our politics - Trump has been doing this toward the right - I have been pulling in the opposite direction.

Having someone call Trump a natzbol in a debate would be pretty awesome.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

It's pretty insane living in a world where the candidate whose Russia policy has the highest practicality + sanity sum is loving Donald Trump.

It's pretty insane that someone is suggesting doing the same thing Hillary Clinton tried as Secretary of State, only macho, and expecting results to be different (besides what country gets invaded next). Well, what's a few thousand dead Ukrainias and who knows how many dead Syrians between egomaniacs?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

See this is what I'm finding hard to explain. I know propaganda is a powerful tool but popularity by warmongering? Doesn't anyone in there stop and think that sending your army into sovereign countries might not be the best idea?

You're acting like Russians accept Ukrainian sovereignty....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Palpek posted:

I clicked the link expecting a good old Eastern Block bureaucratic gently caress-up. But no, it's an actual political idea :wtc:. Get'em early.

"...they are supposed to join Russian army on January 24, 2032" - if anyobody was wondering if Russia was planning to exit Crimea.

Well, if things stay the same till that day, expect a sudden rash of Ukrainian patriotism among Crimean 18-year olds on that date.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
In lighter news: as part of decommunization, a village in Transcarpathia had its Lenin Street renamed Lennon Street.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Murgos posted:

Considered by some to also be a prominent communist?

There is an exception for people known mainly for their cultural or scientific accomolishments, IIRC.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

Why is there a hammer and sickle on the top left corner. Is this national bolshevism?

Plain[*] bolshevism. The site is by the Communist Party of Russian Federation.

[*] Very Russian imperial nationalist these days.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Today in Ingushetiya, near the border with Chechnya, a group of journalists and human rights activists (including Swedish and Norwegian citizens) were forced out of the bus they were taking and beaten, and then the bus was set on fire. Following that, the NGO office was attacked by a group of masked attackers with firearms.

Stability!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Apparently an anti-Trump protest took a decidedly Eastern European flavor:

That's the flag of the Free Territory, the anarcho-communist faction in Ukraine during the civil war (associated with Nestor Makhno)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

They've already said the air assets are staying in Syria, so yeah take this with a massive grain of salt.

I think they've also claimed that the only land assets they had were guarding the air assets...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

EU's strategy of both denying entry for refugees and criticising Balkan countries for denying entry to refugees working really well there.

Well, that's mostly a sidenote. EU's main strategy is to pay off Turkey for keeping them there, just as Erdogan is working on
dismantling the country's democratic institutions. That's not going to eventually backfire at all, no sir....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/a6-fdn/#922b3bd seems to show it circling for ~2 hours before landing, but perhaps it's wrong?

Though it does match this timeline from CNN story:

quote:

Emergencies Minister Vladimir Puchkov told media that 55 passengers and six crew members had been on board the jet, which crashed while attempting to land for the second time. It was scheduled to land at 6:20 p.m. ET (1:20 a.m. Moscow time), but went down at 8:50 p.m. ET (3:50 a.m.), Puchkov said.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

What do we know about the Savchenko case? Is it a total show-trial, or do they have any vaguely plausible dirt on her?

I think a minor detail should give the proper taste:
Among other things, after she was taken POW and moved to Russia (with a bag over her head), the Russians charged her with illegally crossing the border.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

NAT-T Ice posted:

Savchenko convicted and sentenced to 22 years, because lolrussiancourts.

Also a fine of 30,000 rubles for "illegal border crossing".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Murgos posted:

$441 USD... Uh, lol.

Well, unlike most kidnapping transoms, they don't even pretend the victim will not free if its paid.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^^
If enough countries close their borders, some people may be forced to go via Ukraine. Which will likely be a disaster, given the country's less-than-stellar results in dealing with its own internal refugee crisis, with something like 2 million displaced.

Though Ukraine is probably slightly more sympathetic towards Muslims than the rest of the region because of Crimean Tatars. Still plenty of bigotry to go around...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There isn't really any confirmation of this happening, FWIW, and this seems to be the only source.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OddObserver posted:

There isn't really any confirmation of this happening, FWIW, and this seems to be the only source.

Now Tymoshenko (aka "Her") is claiming it, FWIW.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

How about some news from Ukraine?

It appears the Russian-backed militants may be ramping up their attacks. There is shelling in Horlivka and some Ukrainian doctors were attacked.

Casualty numbers seem to be going up, too. 2 KIA, 11WIA over the last 24-hour period there was a report on...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Lots of mess in Ukrainian politics and government today.
After "resigning" about a month ago --- and then going on vacation for a month -- the Prosecutor General finally got canned by the parliament today, but not after sacking the well-reguarded Odesa oblast procesutor, and messing with a few key investigations over the last week.

A new PM is likely this week, too --- probably current speaker Volodymyr Hroysman, a close associate of the president --- and the costs of putting together a coalition for that, likely including Tymoshenko's party are likely to be high.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I see those picketers though the same lens that i see Westboro Baptist Church or holocaust deniers, it appears that someone else does too.

Nah, they are mostly just people supplementing their awful pensions with a bit of acting of crowd scenes.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Old people picketing in favour of USSR? Unbelievable, they must be paid actors!

Oh, they probably really love USSR, but people who love USSR are also not likely to go protest w/o "extra encouragement".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I didn't see paint and bottles, but I'm watching this on a small phone screen, so I apologize. Not sure who are the parties involved, but young people tend to do stupid poo poo, whether there is an actual pro-fascist association or not. Just because it was posted by Azov channel, does not make them members of any nazi-wannabe far right group that plague western Ukraine.

Considering how actual paid actors appeared front and center in Donbass protests, I wouldn't dismiss it.

Well, Azov is a distinctly non-Western-Ukrainian flavor of Nazi.

And as for people getting paid to protest: there was recently a hilarious story in Russia about a 30-something journalist getting 300 rubles for attending some demonstration as a part of some senior citizens group delegation. (Of course, those sorts of events usually just have people forced to come by their employers).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

It's definitely happening from time to time, but it's the easiest accusation to throw around. Remember that Maidan protesters or protesters in Belarus and Russia were and are also said to have been paid by someone, and in some cases it's true, but ultimately it's irrelevant to how those protests were/are handled by the government and portrayed in media.

Fair enough, and of course actors should be free to practice their trade free of threat of thugs. (Well, it may actually be against the law in this case, but of course the proper response would be to punish whatever oligarch is bankrolling it... Ahahahaha, right).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

It's a gimmick account that was active in the middle east thread last night, too. Just ignore it.

Signing praises of Assad, perhaps?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand why Poland is so anti-russia.

Probably because even those presently in charge have basic awareness of own history and of fact that Russia has not abandoned an imperialist identity?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Russia doesn't actually have similar "conservative values", FWIW, besides the "hates gay people" part. There is a lot of noise, but the country isn't particularly religious...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, I am sure this is just the tip of the ice berg.

Or one of many icebergs in the ocean, since it's just one firm.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^
Was the panicked escape from a press conference real, though?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

There's a dedicated thread for this topic now. If any more Eastern European leaders are listed, that discussion can go here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770885&pagenumber=1#post458239520

Here's a link to who from Eastern Europe is linked, that is known so far.

https://www.occrp.org/en/panamapapers/persons/

The site lists 3 Ukrainian names, UP says 20 --- apparently the article on the KyivPost owner gives the number --- but names beyond him, ex-PM Lazarenko, and, uhm, President Poroshenko haven't been shared yet.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OddObserver posted:

The site lists 3 Ukrainian names, UP says 20 --- apparently the article on the KyivPost owner gives the number --- but names beyond him, ex-PM Lazarenko, and, uhm, President Poroshenko haven't been shared yet.

One more name: Odessa mayor Trukhanov .... with things applied for with a ... Russian passport.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
A couple more Ukrainian names in Panama papers, both from Yanukovich era, per the Guardian: his associated Yiruy Ivanishenko, and the son of his PM Oleksiy Azarov.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's been linked from some tech sites, though I don't know if there was any thorough verification. It's a pretty lovely thing for hackers to post, and I imagine a lot of people are reluctant to touch something so private.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

alex314 posted:

There's no way he can create a new formation 100k strong, not to mention 400k with heavy weapons. Maybe he'll join various Interior Ministry and similar forces and then add an armoured brigade.

Yeah, interior ministry interior troops and a bunch of other stuff. It's actually pretty similar to how Ukrainian National Guard was formed.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
What's the UN division that deal with sex tourism?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ComradeKane posted:

So Poroshenko was implicated in the Panama Papers. What sort of political effect has that had there?

Mostly made the journalists who wrote the article look like morons, since they didn't actually uncover anything substantial,
and substituted with rherotic instead. (As in there is no evidence of tax evasion or the like published thus far; maybe failing
to disclose about $3000 worth of paper assets at most). One of the things people learned is that he actually did put Roshen[1]
in a blind trust.

It may have delayed the new government for one week, though.

[1] but not five zillion other assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ukrainian PM Yatsenyuk has just resigned. (Bring on PM Hroysman?)