Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Russia has plenty of problems on its plate. Oil is very cheap, and the Russian ruble is very expensive.

I think you got that wrong; oil is very cheap, and so is the ruble. But the cheap ruble is making everything expensive for the Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

vegetables posted:

I have a question for the thread: I know Russia dislikes having NATO up close against its borders. What I don't really understand is why they wouldn't also dislike a militarised alliance of Eastern European States, which seems to me the likely alternative. What am I missing?

According to Russian military doctrine, a border is safe when there are Russian soldiers on both sides of it.

This has seriously been the essence of Russian military strategy for centuries: make sure there are "allied" countries between barbarians and the motherland, to slow down the inevitable invasions. Russia will not be satisfied with any situation where it doesn't directly control these in-between countries.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Of the places to build a 100 km undersea tunnel... this one seems to have relatively little population to warrant such a project. Is there that much traffic between Helsinki and Tallinn?

I'm not really sure, but the current ship/ferry passenger numbers between Sweden, Finland and Estonia are surprisingly large:

Or maybe the passenger numbers everywhere else are just really small, I don't know. :v:

Image source: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Maritime_ports_freight_and_passenger_statistics