Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
So it's been a while since I've followed the Ukraine conflict. Back then it seemed Ukraine was relying on militia type forces to resist Russian aggression. Do they now use their conventional forces? And if so don't those forces have the mass to retake the east or are they held back by larger concerns of escalation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

az posted:

Good work BM, I mean it.

As a Dutch citizen highly annoyed by my countries near innability/unwillingness to stand up to Russian bullshit, very much this.

Keep it up, please.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Randarkman posted:

That's Norway. Our navy is pretty much just a joke, a tiny showpiece, we can't even afford to take most of our dumb ships out of port. Like most other small NATO countries we are in reality entirely dependent on the US for defense.

Considering that Norway is actually rich as hell, you can perfectly afford it. If there's no money in the budget then that is a choice that's been made. That it is hard to maintain a credible defense as a single country is kind of the point of NATO, so contributing some high end frigates shouldn't be treated as a showpiece. You start adding up all those European nato frigates of small-medium sized countries and that becomes a significant number.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Brown Moses posted:

All those Dutch pounds I'm rolling in.

The "government of the Netherlands" is part of the blue logo next to it (rijksoverheid). I think the navy crest is the UKs royal navy.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Apparently spouses of Dutch pilots in the baltic air policing mission and of soldiers in the enhanced forward presence in Lithuania are being harrased by phonecalls. Said phonecalls feature badly spoken Dutch /English with a Russian accent. :downs:

Military personnel are now no longer allowed to call their families on their private numbers while on mission but must use local anonymous Sim cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
[quote="HUGE PUBES A PLUS" post="497373177"

Didn't the EU recently block anonymous SIM cards?
[/quote]

You're right I misremembered the article, it said local sim, not anonymous.