Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Change one of the duplicated :poland: links to this guardian piece someone linked, it's a very good read imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bunch of old dudes with secured pensions simply being fed up with crazyman Macierewicz, being dragged around for dumb Smolenskian anniversaries and poo poo all the time and anticipating general insufferableness when the good change takes its turn to take a look at the army.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

DrProsek posted:

Do you have sources for this and other similar greatest hits of PiS's new glorious rule? My dad keeps sending me :smug: emails over "look at how evil PiS is, they give benefits for families with kids, the horrors!" so while it won't change his mind or anything, it would make me feel much better to have sources to respond with "lol who needed rules of evidence anyway".

I mean, as a PiS supporter you can imagine the conspiracy theories he subscribes to and he'll probably praise throwing out fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine as "PO made up ridiculous evidence rules to stop PiS from prosecuting commie mutant traitors! GLORY TO THE FATHERLAND!" but I'd like to think if he's so obsessed with getting rid of corruption in Poland, a functioning justice system would be kinda important to him.

Is he a Duda Assassination Attempt truther? Because I'm kinda enamored with the fact this is a thing that exists.

(for non-Pole goons: president's car caught a flat tire two days ago. It is Serious Business.)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Razem's took a projector and blew the verdict all over PM Chancellery building :3:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Pretty sure Nowoczesna will steal the spotlight on this once they swarm the place with own banners and - most probably - bigger numbers.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Oh, I understand Razem's intentions on this, I was talking about this becoming a Nowoczesna/KOD thing in public perception, whether they like it or not.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

The plot thickens. The leader of KOD felt offended that Razem organized a pro-democracy demonstration without him

Doubly so funny when you take into account Razem's openly distanced themselves from KOD since literally months ago.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgSl0VAn76M

:poland:-only so far, I'm afraid.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

But what about an armored birch?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Russian tank horde would be swiftly defeated by the Hussars.

Obviously.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Thatim posted:

I want to read more about dumb poo poo PiS does and not about military dickwaving of scenarios that will never happen.

PM launched counter-illumination of the chancellery to blot out Razem's projector.

State TV pretends nobody comes to KOD/Nowoczesna (how do you tell them apart?) protests anymore, by patiently waiting until the march actually ends before rolling film.

Not much really interesting stuff over the weekend.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I think one mock-worthy development of recent days somehow evaded the thread.

This is an official logo of Poland's Space Agency.

Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Exhibit C
Exhibit D

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Manifest Destiny

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

How many PiS-poor ideas can you spot in this Central Anti-Corruption Bureau-issued calendar?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

That's when the human sacrifices are scheduled for.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

blowfish posted:

:poland: lol.

How can your reasonably developed and wealthy country be so dysfunctional half the sitting officials are (publicly) convinced the other half is conspiring to kill them.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/16/conspiracy-theorists-who-have-taken-over-poland

Still the best answer.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Also don't forget the obsession with outing the Nobel-prize winning icon of fall of communism as having had been a communist spy all along because ???

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The funny thing is, the guy isn't really that popular anymore, as a politician.

Long story short, the simple dockworker found himself kinda out of his league during his one term presidency in the tumultous 90s after which he pretty much stepped back from internal politics and resigned himself to this kind of international Nobel celebrity/semi-ambassadorial role.

PiS is basically a bunch of old dudes trying to relive the days of their youth when they were sticking it to the system and some younger dudes fantasizing about totally being oppressed by the system too and they're pissy some other dude sticked it to the system more than them.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

My fav youth day thing is that for some reason the city of Warsaw is shelling out from its own budget for an event organized in Cracow.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

If that's the document I'm thinking of, which is not as much a certificate of your (non-)marital status, but a certificate of being legally able to get married, it's issued for the couple in question rather than a single person. So both dudes would have to haul their asses to the register office to each get confirmed for not being already married and poo poo.

Regrettably, the one weird trick to stop gays marrying abroad is not really just a PiS thing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

Trying to pass a poo poo of a law even Iranian ayatollahs would find too radical will alienate a fuckload of their followers. And, as Pizdec mentioned, it's even likely to rally more people to the defense of the Tribunal, as it's currently the only non-PiS related body that could reasonably block that act. They seriously shat the bed now.

It's PiS voters, man. If any of those guys would get bummed over this, they'd be the zeitgeist semi-stooges like Kukiz voters or something.

quote:

Kaczyński opened too many fronts and suddenly found himself without allies. Plenty of their well-known moderate supporters (like Staniszkis or Bugaj) publicly stated they shouldn't have voted for PiS

Pretty sure he 100% assumes he'll just break up and assimilate (Borg-style) everyone vaguely sympathetic into the party, 2005 style.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

So yesterday Polsat, a :poland: tv channel*, has shown The Wolf of Wall Street. The kicker is, they chose to remove all the sex scenes and censor swear words.

I have no idea what is the meaning behind that, but nevertheless I find it quite funny.

* I'd guesstimate it's the second biggest private channel in the country, but can't be bothered to look up the numbers.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Pierogi posted:

There are no viable legal alternatives in Poland (Netflix is in its infancy, Polish VOD services are laughable). Buying/renting from places like iTunes or google play is too expensive. Piracy holds strong thanks to our comparatively lax piracy laws (only seeders can potentially be prosecuted).

Eh, dirt cheap dvds are everywhere. And TVs are indeed adapting to that reality, right now they're 1/3 soap operas, 1/3 cooking shows and 1/3 weirdo semi-reality shows where you theoretically have a scripted plot like a police procedural or something, except starring (semi?-)amateurs who for some reason have to ad lib particulars of their dialogues.

It's a really fascinating and bizarre genre of post-reality show budget television. Polsat is it's undisputed king, but pretty much everyone is churning is poo poo out in one form or another.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I think I've seen something like that on Russian TV. There's one that is ostensibly a legal drama, but main characters are played by actual prosecutors and judges, while everyone involved in the case are amateur actors. There is a certain charm to it, I've got to say.

Oh, Judge Judy and its knock-offs are a great example, except imagine every possible genre of a tv show done in this style.

[edit] This includes some shows trying to pretend there's a degree of reality to them and some who just can't be bother to hire real actors and have dialogues written out. They just gather this bunch of randos and tell them "ok, in this scene you confront her about sleeping with your husband. Eventually she slaps you and runs away crying. Ok, ready, set, go."

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 5, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Unless PiS outlaws subtitles.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

It wasn't exactly like Judge Judy. Most of the show took place outside the courtroom with flashbacks, cuts to the investigation team, etc. But I suspect it was more scripted than what you describe. Is there a way for me to watch one of these Polish shows somehow?

Not sure how to get non-Polish subtitles or whatever, but Miłość na Bogato (Opulent Love) is absolutely amazing. W-11 Wydział Śledczy (CSI: W-11) is the originator of the genre, it's a cop procedural with real cops/civilian amateurs. Trudne Sprawy (Difficult Matters) is like people acting out Jerry Springer stories and it is pretty bonkers.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Palpek posted:

There's another show like this but I forgot the name now - it's about bachelors young and old living in Polish villages looking for wives. It has more of a documentary format though where you only see them talking about their lives and going on dates without some big reality show splendor. I'll tell you this - it's INCREDIBLE, it's like The Room: Polish documentary edition and just what those people talk about, the wording they use, their stories - it's some insane poo poo. Every episode could easily have a companion comedy show filled with just quotes from it. It's one of my greatest late night discoveries.

Please try to grok the name out. I love poo poo like that.

I think the cringiest licensed programming was that dating show some years ago where the big twist was that the girl all participants try to seduce is secretly trans.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's either pulled out of someone's rear end or a random remark some crazy D-list politician made. It's not a recognizable thing any of the usual suspects ever talks about.

In other news, Polsat officially responded to the Wolf of Wall Street sillyness, saying the poor plucky television was forbidden by the law to show the uncensored version before 23:00, while the movie was too long for that time slot (inluding the extra hour for commercial break slots). The limitation may or may not be true, the regulation on such poo poo is a schizophrenic mess, not unlike the MPAA rating dumbness.

The version showed was indeed the US mormon cut, so they might as well have cheaped out or hosed up, but at least they've denied this being a PiS-morality kind of a deal.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

A survey showing how much Poles like people of other nations was released and surprise! We don't really like anyone! Except maybe the Czechs! I don't know why either!

Beer. And, to a lesser degree, weed.

I`m kind of impressed by Jews reaching twice the standing of Romas! Baby steps, Poland.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

While I'd say they were never particularly popular around here, actually giving a poo poo about them is a combination of refugee crisis flavor of the month year and global post-9/11 zeitgeist.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fun fact is, pretty much each and every recent anti-arab march/semi-riot in the capital resulted in peak kebab sales, as shouting and misbehaving for seral hours to be rather tiring.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Who the gently caress owns that piece of garbage?

This is, uh, a "history" spin-off of a right-wing Do Rzeczy magazine, which is sort of a spin-off of a right wing Uważam Rze magazine (formed by rejects from its editorial team), which is a sort of a spin-off of a right-wing Rzeczpospolita magazine (formed by rejects from its editorial team).

It's fairly mainstream end of the world of right-wing publications, or at least Rzeczpospolita is.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Palpek posted:

I can't wait for homegrown audio experts to declare this new recording quality to be the ultimate proof of assassination. Every shout is an explotion, every crack is a missle hit, every whisper is just the sound of a burning fuse.

Me too, especially since it mostly made more of pilots talking poo poo about air control's repeated warnings audible.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

alex314 posted:

Maybe Poland and Russia have had an assasin war going for the last 20 years and most of those weird deaths of Russian generals are caused by Poles. Russians decide to concentrate their effords on big strikes instead :tinfoil:

Litvinenko was killed with polonium. :tinfoil:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

Poland is not politically isolated

You just wait.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Palpek posted:

It's like the one bench on the main walkway in Gdansk where Neo-Nazis hang out every Saturday at set hours and anybody who wants to join them can come make friends.

4/20 birth Adolf every day.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I think it goes without saying that somehow there's only one church that gets successfully legally offended.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Palpek posted:

the Minister of Foreign Affairs

Speaking of Waszczykowski,

IIRC we haven't laughed in the thread at the fact he last-minute bailed from 25th anniversary of signing the Polish-German Treaty of Good Neighbourship, literally explaining himself as having returned home from Sejm at 2 AM and not feeling like hopping on a plane early in the morning "just to appear in German TV for 15 minutes".

Smooth.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Which polling agency was that? Because, you know, being state owned tends to be a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

TNS Polska. Not state owned as far as I know.

Okay, that's sad (IIRC it's CBOS that is consistently terrible).