Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

OddObserver posted:

Their voters don't care, and only time Ukraine is likely to get mentioned in the news is when there are fisticuffs/Prime Minister getting ballet-lifted in the Parliament, not things like yet-another
serviceman getting killed or wounded just about every day. (Though I think the state of Ukrainian army is severely underestimated by some of the folks herein).

Basicly this. People here dont feel like we 'owe' ukraine anything, we have our 'own problems'. Here in Holland ukraine mainly gets in the news about our referendum (we will have one comming summer if we want ukraine signing an tradeagreement with the EU) and the fact that some rich olicharchs ordered the theft of a few famous Dutch paintings from a Dutch museum. Since the ukraine government doesnt want to step up their game, the paintings are still for sale by some ukraine lawyer.

Basicly for most people here poland is the easternmost civilized country, just barely. Behind that its only Mad Max in a snow setting.

These times with right wing populism being as big is it is, doesnt bring out the best in people.

These arent my opinions. Just what I feel is the opinion of the average Joe.

Martin BadClixx fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Well, this went downhill quickly.

I want to read more about dumb poo poo PiS does and not about military dickwaving of scenarios that will never happen.

Edit: thread moved on already. My bad. Great video, made me laugh

Martin BadClixx fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 13, 2016

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Oh god. I passed there this morning during a run.

That is my story, thank you.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

3peat posted:

Hungarians put up posters in Holland

Now that I think about it. What is the point of it actually? And why is it posted in the netherlands of all places? As far as I can tell the average Joe here has no strong opinion about either romania or hungaria

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

A Pale Horse posted:

I think he was referring to this:

Which were posted through mail slots, left on doorsteps and placed near an elementary school in a high percentage Polish neighborhood.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1342487/anti-eu-flyers-calling-polish-people-vermin-have-been-placed-on-residents-doorsteps/#comments

This is making me so sad. What happend to West Europe. Sure, there was always poo poo but for about a decade or so multiculturalism was something we where proud of and trying to achieve. But now it seems that open racism is the norm :smith:

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

It is waiting for the first proper large scale battery. Solar and wind are pretty good of itself, but not without storage.

As you can probally imagine, most solar energy is produced during the day while most energy is consumed in the evening (I am talking about consumers).

For large industry and probally transport we will probally need a large plant -like system to keep it running. But I think the first suburbs will be producing their own energy (using smartgrids to sell and trade it too neighbours for example) within 20 years.

For industry and transport it will probally be gen4 nuclear powerplants, but I am hoping for fusion.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Cat Mattress posted:

The best storage is in hydroelectric dams, but there are relatively few of them since they require specific geographic conditions -- you can burn coal anywhere, but you'll need mountains to build a dam. The largest pumped storage power plant in Europe is in France, with just 1800 MW. Based on this, pumped storage hydroelectricity represents just about 1% of total electricity production in Europe.

Yea, there is nothing good as of yet.

It will probally be some sort of hydrogen battery. Only large.

But chemistry isnt my field, so I cant tell much about that.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Baronjutter posted:

This is probably better off in the energy thread. But I'd say an ignorance/political obstacle is probably easier to overcome than a technological obstacle with no answer in sight. Solar could be free, but without a way to cheaply and reliably store the energy they're never going to be useful for base load, just a supplement. Put all the money spend on "green energy" subsidies into nuclear PR to the public and maybe have a shot at saving the planet. Or go feel-good solar and wind and burn coal to power everything other than happy green feelings.

Good nuclear reactors, so generation 4, will probally take as long to develop as proper PV and wind storage.

Up until then, nuclear is just 'okay'. Less co2, but tons of other crap to deal with.

All options should be researched. It is dumb to put all the eggs in one basket. But it should be noted that fission research needs less funding from the government because it is already being developed by companies while fusion/pv/wind/storage isnt yet.

Edit: ill shut up about energy now. Doesnt belong here

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Was russia always such a dick? To be honest, I only started following the developments in EE since the Krim and MH17. If the country was a person, I would assume it was acting like this due to a lack of attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Hello HPAP.

I will continue to lurk now