Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Ukrainian forces stationed on the high ground around Sherokyne have occupied the coastal dacha suburb after a year of fighting for it. DNR forces apparently up and left one day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtVWKKNSeYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
guess what missile also uses 30 mm ball bearings

its a buk

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
A lot of focus on Ukraine in recent days has been on the trial of Savchenko, where the guilty verdict is expected any minute now, but fighting around Donetsk drags on. Most of the fighting has been taking place in Avdiyivka, a Ukrainian-held industrial suburb immediately to the north-west of Donetsk city, known for its production of coke and other coal products. The attacks so far have been extremely unorganized and pro-Ukrainian sources have indicated this as a sign of general disillusion in the separatist ranks. Probably the most telling incident is when a separatist approached Ukrainian lines to attempt to surrender, only to be shot and killed, allegedly, by his CO. Despite this, the separatists haven't completely lost resolve, two days ago a Ukrainian officer's vehicle was hit by an ATGM killing 5, so they are still resisting. We're approaching 2 years of hostility, it's pretty depressing that despite all the international effort, the conflict remains active.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 22, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

What do we know about the Savchenko case? Is it a total show-trial, or do they have any vaguely plausible dirt on her?

It has been proven through phone records that at the time of the death of the journalists she was in captivity. The argument of the prosecutors has been that even if that is true, it doesn't matter as she was part of the "criminal organisation" responsible for the deaths of the journalists, aka the Ukrainian Army.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
This has been part of a steady trend of violence as spring comes around, field guns are being fired again, thankfully no GRADs. I don't think it's even clear what the separatists are fighting for at this point besides fighting against stability, not even Russia is going to recognize your depopulated hell state, just let it end.

In other news, separatists have apparently run out of DPR flags and have switched to good old bolshevik red.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

anilEhilated posted:

It makes sense for Russia to support them and urge them to keep fighting; the bigger the clusterfuck, the less attention on Crimea which has been the real prize.

The vast majority of fighters are not actually directly controlled by Russia, I guess they don't see much to go home to, and would rather just be leaders of their flock of homo sovieticus.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

bango skank posted:

The recent Ukraine developments have me a little worried. I've got a friend who is flying back to visit family for a week at the end of April, how hard should I be trying to talk them out of it?

e: Family in Kaniv, for reference.

West of the Dnieper you should be safe. I wouldn't go to Kharkov, or anywhere in Donbass obviously. April will probably not be a good month for Ukraine, both sides are already talking about spring offensives and the ceasefire north of Donetsk completely collapsed last afternoon.

e:woops meant west.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 28, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

I wonder if the fighting could lead to Armenia invoking defensive protection because of the ODKB. As far as I can tell the clashes were between NK troops and Azeri, and not actually Armenian military, but I'm sure Russia would love to pull a Georgia on Azerbaijan. I highly doubt the US will support them at all, so it would probably go even faster than the invasion of Georgia.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Cosmetic surgery is a luxury, not a human right.

Yeah? What about people with cleft lips. That's a cosmetic surgery.

steinrokkan posted:

Well, neither does an abortion, depending on your personal ontology.

I'm very pro-choice, but arguing a fetus is not a human is pretty stupid.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

At what point do human cells stop being a cellular growth and turn into a human? Is any stem cell a human? Is stem cell research illegal?

There is an important distinction between a human and a person.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Not really, children are not full persons, but we understand them as both humans and potential persons. Thus they get the full protection afforded to a person. At what point does a mass of human cells make the transition from being a simple biological sample to being a child?

Seman is a potential person. A fetus is a person when it is capable of being its own entity.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

And just a day after talking about a WW3-inducing crisis, damnit!

I love your gimmick.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that "not wanting to have children" is never, ever a reason for an abortion?

Not wanting to have children because you can't support children and it would ruin your life is a good reason to have an abortion.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

There is adoption.

I think it's wrong for a government to force you to go through 9 months of agony and an incredibly painful, potentially deadly procedure.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 2, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, that is one sub-category. But if we return to the original subject of abortion laws under Communism, the Leninist proposal of "women should not be slaves of reproduction" got overturned almost immediately when it turned out abortion rates basically annulated population growth even among population segments that were quite capable of keeping a child; so the new policy was to employ a commission that would decide on the medical and socio-economic impacts of the child being aborted. Now, this was obviously not optimal since the woman SHOULD be able to get an abortion for no reason other than not wanting to carry it to term with little consideration for economic or medical factors, but you need to recognize these cases do exist in order to assume an effective argumentative stance against the regressive conservatives.

Pretending that these cases don't exist merely creates a discoursive vacuum for the conservatives to exploit by giving them free reign over the "frivolous abortions" argument.

So there are underlying social problems that cause people to not want to bring children into the world. If you want your population to grow, fix these problems. High abortion rates are a symptom of societal decay, not a cause.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

In the utmost of seriousness, do I need to prepare for WW3 or other paranoid-filled poo poo? Or am I taking such a scenario too seriously?
I secretly have the feeling that Putin would never try to pull this poo poo. But the feeling of doom is nagging me.

I get that you are young, but please understand that worldwide tensions are a fraction of what they once were. Americans and Russians once just accepted that humanity would end itself within their lifetime.

Russia invading Azerbaijan won't start ww3, it'll just be another nail in the coffin of the Putin regime.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

Which is exactly how the Brits and French viewed their Arab subjects during the mandate period.

How is that relevant at all?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

It was a convergent observation.

I hope you've invested in gold for the apocalypse happening tomorrow.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Oh good. Erdogan said turkey will back Azerbaijan "until the end."

I love cold war 2.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I like reading this blog written by a school teacher in Gomel. Usually she writes about her students and Belarusian culture, but this post makes it seem as though the situation in Belarus is looking pretty bleak.

http://mynativebelarus.blogspot.com/2016/01/black-thursday.html

Her non-panic move, of buying goods before the money becomes worthless, is actually exactly the type of panic that will cause a market collapse. Can't really blame her, what else are you supposed to do, invest in gold?

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 10, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
What I never got about the Smolensk theory is how is Russia supposed to benefit from killing the president of Poland? At least 9/11 truthers make some deluded sense about needing 9/11 to justify wars.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Isn't the wing of the polish Air Force responsible for VIP transport notoriously incompetent. Like the president was already in one helicopter crash, that he survived, before the Smolensk crash.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Maybe it is my American privilege shining through but 3 crashes in 2 decades sounds pretty bad for a commercial line, and unbelievably bad for a government agency whose job it is to be safer than a commercial alternative.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

At a Moscow bus stop.

Who's paying for these?

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 13, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I was not being sarcastic, the Polish army is genuinely impressive for the country of its size.

It's more a sign of messed up priorities.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

drilldo squirt posted:

Looking at ukraine, those priorities aren't that messed up.

Russia isn't gonna invade Poland. :toxx:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Russia is still a rational actor, Ukraine has proved that. Don't turn it into a mindless bogeyman who wants to invade for the sake of painting the map like some eu4 player.

Plus I can't get banned after we all perish in nuclear hellfire.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Delpino posted:

Looks like I get to meet a real life cyborg tomorrow!

Is this a public event? Can you still RSVP?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

Russian warplanes have aggressively zipped around a US destroyer a dozen times in the Baltic: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36039703

Is Putin trying to call our bluff? Or are we calling his?

I don't know grouchio, but it definitely means ww3 starts tomorrow.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Their dudes in the Iraq coalition were also quite well respected, I hear.

So we still haven't said why Poland needs a big military. Besides fueling Nazis and invading Iraq, both of which are bad things.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

So, would you like the US to be literally the world policeman for half the world?

Hmm

maybe there is a middle ground

Probably based on the fact that Poland is not going to get invaded by Russia even if they have a couple hundred fewer tanks

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

No you see, everyone should just have a token border guard regiment.

That's a good start, coast guard ships are important too.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
No, we definitely need huge standing armies for there for a type of conflict that doesn't exist anymore. The warehouses full of rotting tanks will serve as fantastic hangouts for uneducated adolescents who missed out on education because he had to buy a battleship and tank brigade so we can live out a fantasy where we beat the Germans and Soviets.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

This is very hard to understand because I am a post-cold war millennial who doesn't remember the last time actual wars happened outside the post-Soviet sphere and/or deserts

Uhh what war between standing armies happened in a non-soviet sphere and non-desert since 1945?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Elukka posted:

Man I have no idea whether Poland's military spending is reasonable or not so I'm gonna offer no opinion on that but arguing that armies are for a type of conflict that simply doesn't occur anymore seems a little silly in light of, you know, Ukraine.

What good would having a huge standing army do Ukraine in 2014? More people to defect?

Davin Valkri posted:

Falklands, India-Pakistan, Congo Crisis, Iceland-Britain fishing disputes (they deployed their navies, it counts!), Rhodesian Bush Wars...

I'll give you Falklands everything else is a civil war, a trade dispute, a desert war or an insurgency.

Interstate conflict is just not a coercive tactic anymore, the losses will outweigh any gains because of nukes and hell total war. I think countries should have functioning militaries, it's just that the definition of a functioning military has changed.

E: Yugoslavia, where the standing army was quickly overtaken by paramilitaries. I fail to see how this supports conflict between states in the conventional sense still being around.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 13, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Davin Valkri posted:

India-Pakistan 1965 and 1971 was a civil war?

Also I disagree with your assertion that a war taking place in a desert environment makes it somehow "not count". The Libya-Chad "Toyota War", the Arab-Israeli Wars (1967 and 1973, at least) and the Iran-Iraq War were no less "conventional" or "between state actors" just because the terrain was dusty sand instead of European farmland.

Blowfish implied that desert wars don't count. I was addressing him.

Wars between politically isolated states still happen, but Poland is not politically isolated. My original point was: What happened in Ukraine will not happen in Poland if the current status quo in Europe is maintained, therefore, it is pretty silly to have a build-up for invasion when Russia would not be able or want to launch one, it's a security dilemma and best and a huge cash sink that could cripple other sectors at worst. Building stealth tanks and training boy scouts how to use AT grenades constructs a certain inevitability to a conflict that isn't going to happen unless NATO and the EU collapse.

e: Also saying "people said russia would never annex crimea!!!" as an argument is a huge fallacy. "You are wrong because people have been wrong before" isn't really an argument.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 13, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

Russian warplanes have aggressively zipped around a US destroyer a dozen times in the Baltic: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36039703

Is Putin trying to call our bluff? Or are we calling his?

here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1wDMGA9DM

I like that the U.S. Navy is fighting a soft power war in the comments.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I've always heard Slav is from slovo, I guess denoting people who share the same words.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

never trust an elf posted:

Doesn't Slava mean glory in a few Slavic languages? I always assumed that was the link

Slava means glory. Slovo means word/language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-XV8Zsd9gg

Goons in russia are a lot more militant about their SA membership.