Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Eastern Europe, best Europe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

steinrokkan posted:

I bet he conveniently he forgets to mention that his church is in subjugation to the Ecumenical Patriarchy of Constantinopole, and therefore even if the Pope accepted the supremacy of the ecumene of Orthodox churches in full communion, the Russian patriarch wouldn't benefit from it, being a lowly bitch in the ecclesiastic hierarchy.

Uhh, excuse me!

2nd Rome < 3rd Rome

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

ringu0 posted:

55 years ago today, Yuri Gagarin becomes the first man in space. Russia decides to celebrate.

They are just thanking the people that made it possible.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

alex314 posted:

Czech Republic will probably change official english name to Czechia soon. Which made me thinking: can Slav nations pick new name for "Slav"? Thanks to Germans it's too close to "slave" for comfort. "Slovians" is too close to slow..

Ok, fine.

I propose Thrall(s). :black101:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I don't think Silesia would mind, not anymore at least.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Maybe German-Americans have trouble with them?

Tschetschenien - Tschechien

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Schism with Rome due to Pope being too liberal for them, I think this is a first.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Heil Kitler.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A Pale Horse posted:

Its all part of the homofascist agenda. They get you used to eating gourd vegetables like cucumbers and eggplants instead of bloody red meat and BAM before you know it, you're bicycling down to the gay club to man your shift at the glory hole.

So they decided that dangling their sausages and wielding their meat in front of them is the right course of action.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Truga posted:

Goondolences. I loved the period where I could buy and sell everything with zero use of coins where I live. I hate coins so much I use my debit card for everything now.

Some time ago I found 300 Tolarjev in one of my drawer, still haven't decided what to do with such untold riches. Google tells me it's €1.25 as of today.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/item/12768-bellabeat-owner-decides-to-treat-all-employees-to-canary-islands-vacation

quote:

Since the summer heat in Zagreb can be intolerable, while the summer months are unproductive, they decided to move the entire team to the Canaries

While some will spend their summer in hot offices, the boss of one Croatian company decided to take all his employees to the Canary Islands, Poslovni Dnevnik reported on June 30, 2016.

“I’ve always watched on Facebook photos of business owners travelling to exotic destinations. I wanted to be in those places too, but due to company work I couldn’t make it happen as it wouldn’t be fair to the entire team. So we’ve decided to alter the model and create the situation - either everyone goes or no one goes. Since the heat in Zagreb can be intolerable, with the summer months unproductive, we decided to move the entire team to the Canaries. Bellabeat has rented luxury villas with pools, while every team member will be able to spend as much time there as they like. Work hours are flexible and every employee can decide when, how much and how they will work,” explained Bellabeat founder Sandro Mur.

Bellabeat is a company creating smart devices that help women track the quality of their life and health in different life phases. In May 2015 they launched a health tracker for women, smart jewellery, declared by the world media as one of the best gadgets in 2015.

Important notice about my workplace:

I don't work there :(

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

blowfish posted:

No Ireland. Shameful.

The Irish aren't known for their consumation of potato, they are known for their failure to consume potato.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

loving finally. I'm now starting to count the days when we will have a normal government:

1 down, 1460 to go.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

And Counter Strike.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/disputed-bosnian-serb-referendum-divides-russia-and-serbia-09-19-2016

So, in 4 days there is going to be a referendum in Republika Srpska about them declaring independence from The Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. If this happens, Dayton peace accords will be effectively broken, and would almost certainly bring the renewal of violence in that country.

Putin, being a protector of downtrodden nationalities everywhere, naturally supports it, while everybody else including Serbian PM Vučić is against it. Let's hope it all ends in a wet fart because 90's nostalgia is never a good thing.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Sorry, I hosed up. This referendum is about Bosnian Serb National Day (January 9. - the day Republika Srpska was proclaimed) that was made unconstitutional by BiH Supreme Court last year, not for independence. I think that one is scheduled next year.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

OK so it goes like this:

January 9. 1992. Bosnian Serbs declared the formation of Serbian Republic of BiH, with the intent of trying to halt the independence of Bosnia from Yugoslavia. War starts several weeks later and ends in 1995. with Dayton Peace Accords that essentially splits the country in two entities (Bosniak-Croat dominated Federation of BiH and Serbian dominated Republika Srpska) and one special district of Brčko. January 9. is celebrated in Republika Srpska as "Republics Day", but last year Bosnian Constitutional Court declared that January 9. celebration is unconstitutional. Every major decision in BiH needs to be brought by all 3 constituent nation's delegates, and constitutional court found that also includes national holidays.

The referendum on Sunday will have the following question:

"Do you support that January 9. is being celebrated as the Day of Serb Republic?"

If it passes and is implemented it will have major repercussions since both entities are under same constitution as defined in Dayton Peace Accords, and not abiding under courts decision will be seen as an attempt for secession. Sefer Halilović (general in Army of BiH) recently stated that if this referendum passes, Republika Srpska will cease to exist. He also gave 10 to 15 days until RS's total surrender, which naturally infuriated Serbian politicians.

Some links in moon languages (all three of them so it's constitutional)

http://www.novilist.hr/Vijesti/Hrva...ta_refresh=true

http://www.b92.net/info/vesti/index.php?yyyy=2016&mm=09&dd=20&nav_category=167&nav_id=1178741

http://balkans.aljazeera.net/vijesti/referendum-o-danu-rs-25-septembra

What?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fabulous Knight posted:

Huh, I know ashamedly little about the Balkans and I guess I'm pretty surprised about Russia being for something that Serbia, or at least Serbia's PM is against.

Serbia has been moving toward West for some time now and are less and less accommodating to Russian interests in the region, so they have to look elsewhere.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Discendo Vox posted:

That's a form of racism. Radovan wasn't convicted of national cleansing.

No, he was convicted of ethnic cleansing, not racial cleansing. We are all the same race.

steinrokkan posted:

It's bog standard nationalism.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So, that referendum in Republika Srpska I was talking about several days ago is over, and apparently it had 51% turnout making it legal in the eyes of its organizers. Preliminary results are expected at 21:00 (in about an hour from now) and I wholly expect it to be heavily in favor of "Yes". Let us hope it won't spark a crisis and they somehow reach a compromise.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Is there any other country supporting this referendum, as in a larger European nation? Is this just for the interest of this small republic, and not much will happen as a result?

Russia.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The_Franz posted:

So far it's passage is near-unanimous.

Yeah.

71.09% of total votes has been counted.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Doctor Malaver posted:

If I understand correctly, the content of the referendum is irrelevant. The fact that they are holding it is important because they are ignoring federal authorities.

Yes, but referendum not passing or having less than 50% voter turnout would have probably diffused the situation, since RS politicians would have lost their momentum.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Guildencrantz posted:

Meanwhile in :poland:

Demonstrations are taking place all across the country against the proposed total abortion ban, which includes prison sentences for women of up to five years. The previous week, parliament reviewed two citizens' initiatives: the full ban, and a counter-initiative to liberalize abortion law. (Right now it's only legal in cases of rape, incest, danger to the woman's life or a severely damaged fetus) Predictably, the ban went on to committee and the liberalization was trashed right away.

For the past two weeks there have been protests pretty much every other day under the banner of "Black Protest", where people wear black to signify their opposition to the law. The idea was started by the Razem party, but by now it's taken on a life of its own, and now things have moved on to a "women's strike". Thousands of women are taking leave from work, some institutions and small businesses have also given women leave today or shut down for the day outright. Despite the optimistic predictions in the Independent article, it's impossible to give any numbers at the moment, since unlike the usual mass mobilizations in Warsaw, this time there are smaller protests in virtually every city. Admittedly most of those skipping work are middle-class women since they can afford it, but it should at least be statistically significant.

In completely unrelated news, a recent poll saw PiS finally drop below 30% of the vote for the first time. According to polls, the abortion ban is only supported by 11% of people and even a small majority of PiS voters think it's going too far. Funnily enough, the leadership doesn't want the law to pass because they know it'll be political suicide, but they've brought enough religious crazies into their ranks that they can't control how they vote on this. Looks like they've finally scored their first major fuckup since taking power.

There was a protest of solidarity in the center of Zagreb yesterday supporting the Polish demonstrations against the proposed total abortion ban. Protesters numbered in several hundred attendees.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Nenonen posted:

I think it happens mostly with Cyrillic writing - your options are to write foreign names in Latin or go the full transcription route. Eg. Jack Daniel is written Джек Дэниел, or Dzhek Deniel. Suppose you wrote it more straightforward Як Даниэл then Russians would pronounce the name "Yuck Doniel" or so unless they beforehand knew that it's an English name. OTOH if it's a trademark then it'll be usually written just Jack Daniel's with no transliteration which is strange.

In Serbian language it is also used when written in Latin script, so it looks something like this:

Michael Jackson - Majkl Džekson - Мајкл Џексон
George Washington - Džordž Vašington - Џорџ Вашингтон

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Zudgemud posted:

Filthy batman talking to an old ghost while being licked also have that.

Denmark is definitely the best.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So, Mary was proclaimed Queen of Poland 350 years ago, and now her son Jesus is proclaimed King of Poland? Making your own Habsburgs, are you?

Divine Habsburgs at that.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Now I know how to spell "Kosovo je Srbija" in 10+ different languages. :yeah:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

How much was the ticket?

"Cena nije dostupna" - Price not available

EDIT: drat it, this is for buses, not trains.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 15, 2017

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Baronjutter posted:

Anyone who could actually challenge trump would see them selves in jail or murdered and or their party banned. Russia is not a democracy.

You've putin it nicely.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Kruh will never be hljeb!

Kruh will never be hljeb!

Крух wилл невер бе хлеб!

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 11, 2017

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Serbo-Croatian is fine as one plutocentric language with 4 literary standards. The only thing that it really needs is a new name, the one that all four nations can agree on, and call it their own.

:lol:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SaltyJesus posted:

As you can see here, the Slovenes are clearly labeled as part of the Slavic Germans group. Science has spoken.

Thank you for reposting this, I've lost this picture and couldn't find it anywhere. I would also like for you to update it to also include Irish into Northern Slav category, for that was a gross error on my part and it must be amended post haste!

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think you can also remove Welsh from that group, I think they've suffered enough.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 13, 2017

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SaltyJesus posted:

I've been thinking, it's high time the Portuguese got recognized in a formal capacity. What would you suggest for the nomenclature?

Sadness Slavs
Spanish Slavs
Ocean Slavs
something totally different?

Moorish Slavs.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SaltyJesus posted:

lol the Kosovo albanians on all political levels (mayor, head of parliament) have been saying they won't stop before they reach Niš and, in one notable case, that Niš is a necessary part of Greater Albania

this isn't what our state propaganda is relaying, it's pretty much a direct quote of what some of them have been saying recently

Which is silly since everybody knows that Niš is Bulgarian.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Right wing chudionalism: not even once.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Slovakia is a great country! Tremendous people, folks! The best in the baltics, really super duper wet! :chaostrump:

Also, why the gently caress is Janša your PM again, shouldn't he still be in jail?

edit: I mean, more than any other EE politician.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Paladinus posted:

Finally, some peace and quiet.

Congrats, Batka eliminating chemtrails by 2024

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

They do happen, just not this freakin huge! And they also tend to avoid populated areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Is there gonna be a red tractor rolling around with a sign: "We receive from EU 1.6 billion złoty a week, let's defund our agriculture instead"?