Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Budzilla posted:

Bloomberg had this pic in an article a short while ago.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Russia's Faltering Economy: By The Numbers
http://www.vocativ.com/news/289955/russias-faltering-economy-by-the-numbers

6.3% drop in real wages in 2015
20% rise in food prices in 2015
40% drop in car sales in 2015

Putin approval as of January 2016
82% according to Levada Center

Keep supporting the fucker who makes your life significantly worse every year, Russians. lol

This might come as a surprise to you, but hardship caused by what are perceived as external actors tends to harden support.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
American politics.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
vote Kte bush

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's why I used the word 'perceived'. When it comes to Putin's pupolarity, the true reasons for Russia's economic woes don't matter so much as who is blamed for them.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

anilEhilated posted:

See this is what I'm finding hard to explain. I know propaganda is a powerful tool but popularity by warmongering? Doesn't anyone in there stop and think that sending your army into sovereign countries might not be the best idea?

What's wrong with mongering some war?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
War is cool!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Russia joins the American club to learn why public mental healthcare is important.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

The truck's owner, from whom the truck was stolen from, said the paint job was unique, and it's always seen with that red trailer. There was a phone number on the side, but they removed that after July 17th.

The Russian Army is transporting anti-air defense systems using stolen trucks.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Outsourced materiel provisions officer - fancy new way to grand theft auto

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Why is there a hammer and sickle on the top left corner. Is this national bolshevism?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Goddamnit Poland, stop being the Alabama of Europe

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mozi posted:

Polska, you got
the PiS on your shoulders
That's breaking your back.
Your Polski Fiat
has got a wheel in the ditch
And a wheel on the track

amazing

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

:911: will save them or nukes will fly and it won't matter.

This is how European states (except Britain, but Corbyn might change this) think.

The EU as a whole is still the second biggest military spender in the world, and almost four times bigger than Russia by budget. We'll be fine, thanks.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And if the EU was a single state like the U.S. or Russia that would matter.

Neither the US, nor Russia is a state, they are both federations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

You don't know what the poo poo you are even saying here.

Read between the lines ya dumb gently caress

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's gibberish even between the lines. You have no loving clue what you're saying and it shows. The EU bureaucracy is nothing like the U.S. federal government.

Cool!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sarcasm is lost on the american, what a scoop.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The reason why the EU doesn't have a unitary military is because the EU has no considerable military threats. We don't need it because we're not psychotically fearful of Russia. They ain't gonna attack the EU. Whether or not the EU can be categorized as a "state" is irrelevant to the question of European military might.

Get it now? I WAS MOCKING YOU. Jesus loving christ, take your ritalin man.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PS: The ritalin was a dig at your glaring autismal paroxysms about correct use of language

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

awesome-express posted:

more reasons to federalise, establish fiscal transfers, build a gently caress off huge wall on the external borders and enforce strict immigration laws for non eu folk and have a unified army.

But there isn't. Despite Russia's dick-waving and general asshattery in Ukraine and the rest, the military threat that Russia poses to EU is negligible. They aren't going to attack and everybody knows this, so there is little pressure to turn our national armies into a federate one. Nevermind the question of how on Earth you that would even be practically possible, or politically feasible.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While the organizational structures that NATO has really aren't there for the EU, the common defense pact is as fundamental to the EU charter as it is for NATO. American arrogance over their overbloated World Police Imperial Guard is to be expected but it's ridiculous to treat the EU as a sick man when it comes to military might. NATO or no, it's the EU that ensured the independence of certain baltic countries after Jeltsin era. Russia by that point could've just marched in and there would've been jack poo poo America could've done about it on its own.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CeeJee posted:

I seriously doubt that, all European countries have militaries that have been optimized for peacekeeping operations in the years since 1989 and have done away with most of the stuff needed against a modern army. Like only Germany and Italy having any anti radar missiles or the UAE having more French made modern tanks then the French or British army.

Tanks and anti-tank missiles can be bought when necessary before the existing reserves would run out in the event of an all out war, and as we've seen with the Arab adventures in conquering Israel, initial materiel supremacy doesn't count for much if your people are primarily poorly trained conscripts. The US is in no way irrelevant to EU military affairs, but it's still the EU that's the primary counterweight to Putin's ambitions, not America. While the state of EU national militaries is mostly deplorable, I don't really see how that makes the US anything but an ally when it comes to security matters against Russia. Push comes to shove, US opinion doesn't decide if the EU goes to war.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think it's time to drive this topic into a ditch.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pigdog posted:

Why not?

just because it would be a rude thing to do?

It would be incredibly rude.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry america, looks like you don't get save europe from the nazis again. Keep up the spirit tho!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

So after the Russian MoD attacked Bellingcat the Russian MFA joined in, so we made a little video

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/708667409687834624

lmao

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

I now use the examples of debunking Russia's MH17 lies in all my training sessions for journalists, government types, etc etc. For example, when I'm teaching the basics of Google Earth satellite imagery I use the satellite imagery the Russian MoD lied about the dates on as a hands on example, so the participants get to discover that for themselves. In fact, I'll be doing that on Monday at a training event at the Guardian office for all their journalists, and a later session that will be live streamed will be about how we demonstrated the Russian MoD lied about its bombing campaign in Syria as well. If they keep lying it just gives me more material for training people in verification and open source investigation.

Don't you think it's a bit weird you're having to teach this poo poo to accredited and degreed journalists? I get that the information age is a comparatively new thing in human history, but I would have thought these people were already way ahead of you. I guess it says something about the current state of journalism, or perhaps it doesn't.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

wHAT IS EVEN YOUR POINT.

go to bed

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

Well journalists really have been the earliest to adopt this sort of work, mainly the verification part of it though. We really look at the question of "if we CAN verify this stuff, what can we do with it then?". I think the problem they face is in a traditional newsroom there's not really much time to do learn how to do this kind of investigation without someone in a senior position making the decision to allow some people time to do it, and until they believe in the value of it that's not going to happen. So it's kind of an awareness issue even before it become a training issue.

This applies to many more fields, for example the work we're doing with police. The MH17 case is actually quite a big deal in the use of open source and social media investigation, because its the first time there's been an investigation of such of scale and of international importance where this sort of investigation has been done on such a scale. For the police, this means they're learning on the job to some degree, and they've got to do it perfectly, because we can already see how Russia is reacting to the use of these sources in the MH17 investigation. I've also been talking to various law enforcement agencies from various countries about teaching their staff this sort of stuff, and I think if the official MH17 investigation goes the way we think it will then there will be massive interest in the work we've done.

There's also the policy aspect. I've been working a lot with the Atlantic Council on stuff related to open source and social media investigation, and it wasn't until we released the Hiding in Plain Sight report that this sort of work was even known to policy makers. It had an extremely significant effect at those levels, and it's something we're working on building on, launching digital research units in various regions to focus on this kind of investigations. We're currently hiring our first two staff in Latvia, and are currently working to set up more across the world focused on different topics. Aric Toler actually was just speaking about our work at the Future War conference in DC, and there were lots of military, government, and policy types there, who were blown away by our work, and many told him they already refer to our work in their own work and training.

I could go on, but the tl;dr is you'd be shocked at the people you think would be and should be using this information but aren't at all.

You should go on actually, your work is methodologically really interesting. In no way to denigrate it, it just seems like such a simple principle of looking up social media for images and people that I'm a bit dumbfounded that it's innovative. I guess it's the problem is as you say mostly about one of time and effort, what you're doing is some hardcore investigative journalism in terms of how much investment it requires. Pointing out to editors "Hey! You should give your people time to do some journalism! Thanks!" shouldn't be an innovation, but I guess it is nowadays.

I do actually wonder why your sources haven't been metaphorically internet blackbagged and had their social media pages and everything scrubbed. If I was KGB officer and some of my polite green men did a very dumb thing, securing all potential sources would be the first thing on my list of priorities. It seems ridiculous that information about the AA brigade was just left laying around on the net for anyone to look at.

Anyway, I'm really glad for you! Go forth Brown Moses!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's going to be really interesting to see how Kremlin reacts when those reports are translated, I'm hoping for an absolute shitfit soon as they start going around the opposition networks.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder how many death threats you get day by day

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
EU's strategy of both denying entry for refugees and criticising Balkan countries for denying entry to refugees working really well there.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

That's Spiegel Online, the articles were never published in Der Spiegel Magazine.

Did they even ask you for a comment before they published that thing?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bit unprofessional of them. I thought Spiegel was a high-quality publication, but that just seems like something a tabloid rag would do.

Honestly I don't even understand what the point of their criticism was. That expert of theirs says too that the images the MOD published were edited but somehow that doesn't prove anything because apparently pictures meant as proof of innocense are often edited for reasons like...?

lollontee fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 15, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

waitwhatno posted:

Spiegel is a reasonably reputable journal, but Spiegel online isn't.

Here is the criticism from the expert:

- Both a manipulated and non manipulated image would have shown photoshop exif data, because photoshop is usually used to crop and compress pictures or add text annotations for publication. It's not an argument that the images were manipulated.

- Error level analysis is not a real forensic tool and more akin to a polygraph test, you can get any result you want. There is too much human interpretation involved.

- It's generally making too many assumptions, like assuming that a dark spot on a blurry image is an oil spot and that it therefore must grow with time.

Digging into a single piece of evidence and ignoring the rest in order to discredit a theory is cool and good.

Anyway the spiegel online piece was like a year ago. Outside Russian propaganda, is that really the worst criticism of Moses' work?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

I'm pretty sure it is, and we only used ELA in that one report, so if that's all they've got then that ain't much.

Well. Congratulations? I dunno, it just seems weird that nobody (who could be taken seriously) is criticizing your work is all.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

Thing is, I was unemployed for a total of 2 months in a 10 year period, then I started working on the Brown Moses Blog full time after I did my Indiegogo fundraiser. The situation was is I finished a part time admin contract, then decided to do the Indiegogo straight after that, which took a month, during which period I was living off savings while I waited for the Indiegogo to finish. The whole unemployed thing is just something a journalist wrote because it sounded like a better story, then loads of other journalists repeated until it became a thing.

If I may ask, how do you get money from bellingcat actually? I don't see any ads or anything.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

payments from the CIA FRIENDLY, POLITICALLY NEUTRAL, GRANDMOTHERS DONATING TO THE WEBSITE mainly

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess Google pays pretty well :shobon: