Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I don't know if all SMGs do this but the reticule didn't bloom when I aimed while moving. (I was using a converted SMG-9)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy shooting things in the face and seeing large numbers appear over their head. If I get a new gun, I play with it and if the numbers are bigger/faster I keep it and if they aren't I sell it.

And thus I've avoided playing Excel Simulator outside of the office.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BadLlama posted:

I mean, you could always do the DPS calculation yourself based on the damage done per shot, number of rounds in magazine, and the RPM of the gun.

:effort:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

BadLlama posted:

I mean, you could always do the DPS calculation yourself based on the damage done per shot, number of rounds in magazine, and the RPM of the gun.

Yeah let me just get out my pen and paper and stop playing the game to calculate this. Maybe even make a spreadsheet.

Sarcasm aside it would be better for everyone if they just made the dps more accurately reflect the quality of the weapon. It's a completely misinformed number right now that favors assault rifles and downplays the quality of other weapons.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah let me just get out my pen and paper and stop playing the game to calculate this. Maybe even make a spreadsheet.

Hell I wouldn't do it either.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

disregarding DPS and picking guns with a higher base damage seemed to work fine for me in the beta :shrug:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I had no interest in this but then I played the beta and now I want it. On PC the lowest price is $40 at GMG but it's a UPlay key. Is there a comparable or at least not-$60 Steam key out there? I understand that the Steam version still launches the UPlay client and then The Division through that, but I still want a Steam key instead of JUST a UPlay key.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
You could modify it to be damage per shot. That smooths out some concerns, but adds others like stability no longer giving you feedback on if it's actually improving your gun.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Bardeh posted:

One thing I found interesting from this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/47ffmt/a_list_of_clarifications_from_beta_to_full_game/

was this:

Has there ever been a console game that has done this before?

Last of us remastered did this.

I'm curious about the options and if you could get close to 60 fps by doing an adaptive resolution and lowering details.

I really think console games should have a 30fps and 60fps toggle that the developers can preset settings for. Those are the two breakpoints players would want a choice.

Ehud posted:

One thing I was never able to try in the beta was any of the long range / sniper rifles. What did you guys think of that part of the game?

M14 was the best weapon in the beta for medium/long range. I'd still use it for point blank range because it worked just as well as any semi auto rifle.

gfanikf posted:

Also for people concerned about older computers...the beta's all ran perfectly on my GTX 460 on medium and heck even high oddly (texture loading even improved with the open beta). :iiam:

I guess you should define "perfect", I'd consider 1080p@60 to be perfect on medium/high settings. 1080p@30 is more "acceptable". But if I was running 1080@60 on a GTX 670, a better card than you, on low settings... I take your "perfect" with a grain of salt.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I had no interest in this but then I played the beta and now I want it. On PC the lowest price is $40 at GMG but it's a UPlay key. Is there a comparable or at least not-$60 Steam key out there? I understand that the Steam version still launches the UPlay client and then The Division through that, but I still want a Steam key instead of JUST a UPlay key.

Nope. The only place to get a Steamkey is Steam. Everyone else is Uplay keys only.

The only real advantage to the Steam ver. is Steam handles the patching, though in my experience, that's a huge advantage.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Snuffman posted:

Nope. The only place to get a Steamkey is Steam. Everyone else is Uplay keys only.

The only real advantage to the Steam ver. is Steam handles the patching, though in my experience, that's a huge advantage.

How is that any different than uplay updating the game when there is an update?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I understand higher DPS is an advantage but I think tactics and cover are going to be a much bigger part of who wins in a firefight when you've got two weapons that have similar damage outputs. The game is a loot grind but also you need to tailor your gear to your play-style. A guy who sits in the back and takes pot shots is going to want a different weapon over a guy who wants to spray and pray, a weapon that has "lower" DPS might actually be more advantageous if the tactics call for it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can really only compare the DPS number against similar weapons, apples and oranges and all that.

The real question is which scarf gives me the most horsepower.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

keyframe posted:

How is that any different than uplay updating the game when there is an update?

I think his implication is that steam updates faster than uplay, that or he just never keeps uplay open so steam automatically updates for him while uplay doesn't. :shrug:

I haven't had any issues with uplay downloading myself.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did LMGs get a special passive like SMGs? They seemed to be flatout worst than Assault Rifles. I thought they would have better stability/recoil but they controlled the same as ARs.

Like the Pakhan was objectively worst than the Liberator from what I remembered.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The M249 standard has 100 rounds in it's box, and you can suppress NPCs/get their attention relatively easily. I didn't get a chance to mess around with any other LMGs in the betas; because they were grey / lower level than the M249.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

LMGs get more accurate the longer they're fired and suppress better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I played around with a bunch of MGs during the beta, they were pretty fun. I found using rifle / MG was a nice combo, I did rifle / DMR and rifle / Shotgun in the first closed beta.

They each have a tradeoff between damage and rate of fire. The RPK seemed like a good middle point and rocking that and a blue AK made me feel like a communist invading NYC as part of some giant Red Dawn movement :cheeky:

They're flatout worst than ARs for killing dudes fast, but they're really good at having tons of ammo without reloading and letting you spray bullets at dudes to suppress them. The suppression is key if you're working with some teammates who can flank, or even without just being able to put bullets into tons of enemies without stopping to reload can be huge for downing mooks. Then switch to your AR or DMR to take out bosses once the mooks are all cleared.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

super macho dude posted:

disregarding DPS and picking guns with a higher base damage seemed to work fine for me in the beta :shrug:
It will in many cases, you'll have to adjust when you find you are fighting those dreaded bullet sponges everyone is terrified of though. Also some of it comes down to playing style, like some people can deal with the delay of a bolt action rifle but others really need something that can fire somewhat quickly in succession. Or you could be looking to just play suppression for your buddies and shift your priorities to a big magazine with a rate that doesn't empty out too fast or too slow. A lot of that is gonna be trial and error where the numbers can only give you hints.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
I enjoyed the beta. I played mostly with the Siege bros but also met quite a few fun goons.

Looking forward to causing (and hopefully surviving a few) man hunts :rms:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I think his implication is that steam updates faster than uplay, that or he just never keeps uplay open so steam automatically updates for him while uplay doesn't. :shrug:

I haven't had any issues with uplay downloading myself.

I've found Steam to be faster downloading, and also Uplay in the past did some weird patching where it looks like its patching...then it restarts....patches again....patches again....I go to play the game, wrong version, patch again.

That SAID: Uplay is a lot better now. I'm very impressed with their current client and if I wasn't so hung up on having the majority of my games in Steam (not via add-non-steam-game), I'd probably get it on Uplay.

Since Uplay is cheaper, its the better option unless you're sperg'n like me. :)

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I remember reading that this game on PC would support a second monitor as some sort of map or another screen for other helpful poo poo. There was none of that in the beta. Any word of second monitor as a map support? Cause that would be...cool, and stuff.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

You can tell the game which monitor your character should be on and you can put UI elements (xp bar, chat, minimap etc) on the second monitor.

Here is more info and a few screenshots in a reddit post.

Pivit fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 26, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Snuffman posted:

I've found Steam to be faster downloading, and also Uplay in the past did some weird patching where it looks like its patching...then it restarts....patches again....patches again....I go to play the game, wrong version, patch again.

That SAID: Uplay is a lot better now. I'm very impressed with their current client and if I wasn't so hung up on having the majority of my games in Steam (not via add-non-steam-game), I'd probably get it on Uplay.

Since Uplay is cheaper, its the better option unless you're sperg'n like me. :)

That's it, I AM :spergin: about it. I just like having literally one window for all my games. It's why I bought BF4 on sale and only played about three hours or only a couple hours of MWO. I just like having my Steam client with all my games through it, not "add non-Steam" game. I know this is dumb but it's me so I guess I'm shelling out for my own psychosis. :downs:

Also, as improved as UPlay is it's still terrible and the overlay is worse than Origin's.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lakbay posted:

Did LMGs get a special passive like SMGs? They seemed to be flatout worst than Assault Rifles. I thought they would have better stability/recoil but they controlled the same as ARs.

Like the Pakhan was objectively worst than the Liberator from what I remembered.
I haven't tried the super high end ones but the uptime on most LMG is miles ahead of AR's, and the bloom doesn't get so wide in long bursts so you can get more lead on target at medium range. You also get the most out of buffs like fire ammo, and you can keep people's heads down while your fire team plinks/flanks them.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 26, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Not sure I understand all the uPlay vs Steam crap going on. All the steam purchase does is download the game files from steam servers, during the installation it installs uPlay which you then sign into and then redeems the code there. So the game is literally still going to update via uplay and require uplay. If you purchase it on uplay you can link it to your steam library so that it shows up in the list and can be launched from there like the beta was.

Buy it on Steam offers no advantage over buying it on uplay other than it links the accounts for you rather than you having to press a button afterward.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So is this a traditional ubisoft open-world game where you have 10-20 hours of mainquest, another 10 hours of sidequest, and as many feather/map/parchment/document/recording collectathons as you can stand? I keep hearing comparisons to Destiny but as far as I know Destiny is a real MMO with endgame raids and dailies and currencies and stuff, whereas with this all I hear about is the Dark Zone PVP and some nebulous 'plan for eight-player content'.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Snuffman posted:

the worst for me was splinter cell blacklist where it would download and install each patch individually. except the final patch that was released wasn't even on uplay, you had to find and install it on your own

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Counter point. I always have steam open and have Steam saved to my task bar and I do not sell that real estate cheap. So now, I just open the game through Steam, the uPlay launcher pops up, I check my 2nd friends list, and hit play. This saves me time by not having to find the uPlay file and open it.

I am very lazy.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Pierson posted:

So is this a traditional ubisoft open-world game where you have 10-20 hours of mainquest, another 10 hours of sidequest, and as many feather/map/parchment/document/recording collectathons as you can stand? I keep hearing comparisons to Destiny but as far as I know Destiny is a real MMO with endgame raids and dailies and currencies and stuff, whereas with this all I hear about is the Dark Zone PVP and some nebulous 'plan for eight-player content'.

There are two types of currency in the game in which you can buy things with. Not sure what the actual game play length of questing/side missions etc. are and based on the current mission structure it wouldn't be difficult to add something in like raid as the missions are basically all to infiltrate something, kills dudes, kill boss now anyway. Having them be 8 player group missions/raids though, not sure. No idea about dailies missions, a lot of small missions will come up randomly on the map i.e. small encounters like free hostages from the apple store etc. My guess is those are daily and/or timer based because unlike missions you can't do them over and over again, but during the beta the same thing would show up in a different location after so much time etc. The only comparisons I've heard to Destiny from review sources indicate this does destiny stuff better than destiny and adds things destiny would greatly benefit from, what those are I have no idea.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Pivit posted:

You can tell the game which monitor your character should be on and you can put UI elements (xp bar, chat, minimap etc) on the second monitor.

Here is more info and a few screenshots in a reddit post.

That's cool but uhh, my second monitor is actually above my main monitor. They're stacked vertically

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Snuffman posted:

I'm still waiting for them to add the season pass to steam, the only way to get it now would be to reimburse the game and re-buy with Gold account, but dunno if that would break my beta stuff from it or not.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Your beta stuff is tied to your Uplay account, unless you reg another uplay account for your new steam purchase you should be fine.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
How do you register Steam purchase to Uplay? I bought Gold Edition off Steam but there's no cd-key or whatever. Is it not available yet?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

15 to around 30-40ish feet SMG's are great.

Past that yeah you're gonna need an Assault/marksman rifle.

I like how in video games point blank range is mid-range, mid-range is long range, and absolutely nothing ever can be engaged past mid-range.

In real life a submachine gun could and should be used to engage targets up to a maximum of somewhere between 100-150 meters depending on the model/configuration. A weapon like, say, an MP5, with its stock fully extended and with a combat optic zeroed appropriately, has an effective range of 200 meters. Combat shotguns have similar ranges. Assault rifles are generally most effective for engaging targets between 300-500 meters, and if you're a good shot and have a decent scope you can reliably hit targets up to 700 meters away. Machine guns and sniper rifles, depending on the model, can hit ranges much further, up to well over a kilometer.

In video games shotguns and submachine guns have about the same range as throwing a rock. Assault rifles have about the range of a submachine gun or shotgun. Sniper rifles and machine guns might be able to shoot a little further than that (though sometimes the machine guns are less effective than assault rifles :psyduck:) and beyond that engagements either just don't happen or are effectively impossible.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Pierson posted:

We don't know because nobody has seen the full game. Maybe its not even finished.

It looks like we will have a long pve campaing with many hours doing missions to unlock stuff.
It looks like we will have a 8 players raid. But is not confirmed so we may end not having it ever.
The pvp gameplay is fun, it have the "emergent behaviors gameplay" that some people enjoy.

It looks like you can totally ignore collectathons in the game.

If they have a very large campaign, we would be able to avoid replaying the same missions much, but if their campaing is short, we would be visiting the same places again and again and it will get repetitive quick.

In short: Ubisoft have not show enough of the game to have a real idea what the gently caress will be the full game. Our theories and the rumours around are not real information.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Aesis posted:

How do you register Steam purchase to Uplay? I bought Gold Edition off Steam but there's no cd-key or whatever. Is it not available yet?

See my post above... When you install the game it will open uplay and redeem/add your game there. All it's doing is linking the game between uplay and steam in reverse.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

thebushcommander posted:

See my post above... When you install the game it will open uplay and redeem/add your game there. All it's doing is linking the game between uplay and steam in reverse.
Yeah I thought so, was just confused in thinking that you could link it now.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Sarcasm aside it would be better for everyone if they just made the dps more accurately reflect the quality of the weapon. It's a completely misinformed number right now that favors assault rifles and downplays the quality of other weapons.

I'd rather they didn't. I'm glad it is just a generalised number that gives you an idea of a weapon's quality at a glance, and that to get a better idea you might have to put some thought into it, maybe even try different weapons out and compare.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What do you guys think about the Marksmen rifles?

In the beta I got a blue M14 that when modded out could drop a somewhat well-prepared player from range in like 8 shots. Coupled with an assault rifle (Liberator) I was pretty decent solo, but in a group it was a good kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phi230 posted:

What do you guys think about the Marksmen rifles?

In the beta I got a blue M14 that when modded out could drop a somewhat well-prepared player from range in like 8 shots. Coupled with an assault rifle (Liberator) I was pretty decent solo, but in a group it was a good kit.

If its named "M1A", its worth looking at. If not, then ehhhhh....

Thats my opinion at least, so far. SCAR-H was too low RoF for its damage per shot, and I just wasnt digging the M44 due to it being bolt action and me being bad.

• Locked thread