Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013

Phi230 posted:

What do you guys think about the Marksmen rifles?

In the beta I got a blue M14 that when modded out could drop a somewhat well-prepared player from range in like 8 shots. Coupled with an assault rifle (Liberator) I was pretty decent solo, but in a group it was a good kit.

I love the marksmen rifles, as it fits my playstyle more. I like taking my time lining up high damage shots instead of spraying and praying, and they feel analogous to the carbines from Halo or the scout rifles in Destiny for me. Additionally, you can just them like actual sniper rifles when you scope and shoot from range. In the beta, there was enough opportunities to refill your ammo that it was easy to use the DMRs like a primary weapon, switching to an AR or SMG when I ran out of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I'd rather they didn't. I'm glad it is just a generalised number that gives you an idea of a weapon's quality at a glance,

Only, this isn't true at all. The DPS listed on the weapons is completely inaccurate to the quality of the weapon at all. I found a level 7 blue RPK that the game said was worse than the starter M4. It factors in statistics that have no actual value at DPS at all. The weapon's accuracy stat is weighted very heavily to the overall dps of the weapon when in reality it has no bearing whatsoever on the overall dps. Division is a twitch game- you either hit or you don't due to positioning and your own skill. There is no miss chance factor of a non-twitch RPG. Because of this it oversells the value of assault rifle dps because they have a high accuracy stat.

You can still find weapons that fit your playstyle better with more accurate dps assessment. Just right now it's a noob trap.

quote:

What do you guys think about the Marksmen rifles?

They're not my cup of tea, but headshots are devastating with marksman/sniper rifles. If you make a high critical strike build with a sniper you can easily one shot other players.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 26, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Only, this isn't true at all. The DPS listed on the weapons is completely inaccurate to the quality of the weapon at all. I found a level 7 blue RPK that the game said was worse than the starter M4. It factors in statistics that have no actual value at DPS at all. The weapon's accuracy stat is weighted very heavily to the overall dps of the weapon when in reality it has no bearing whatsoever on the overall dps. Division is a twitch game- you either hit or you don't due to positioning and your own skill. There is no miss chance factor of a non-twitch RPG. Because of this it oversells the value of assault rifle dps because they have a high accuracy stat.

You can still find weapons that fit your playstyle better with more accurate dps assessment. Just right now it's a noob trap.

They're not my cup of tea, but headshots are devastating with marksman/sniper rifles. If you make a high critical strike build with a sniper you can easily one shot other players.

Just quoting this because it is a hundred percent correct.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I'd rather they didn't. I'm glad it is just a generalised number that gives you an idea of a weapon's quality at a glance, and that to get a better idea you might have to put some thought into it, maybe even try different weapons out and compare.

But it's not generalised, that's the point. It's boosted or undersold based on variables that shouldn't boost/undersell it that much.

E:f;b

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nelson Mandingo posted:

oh okay

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I had figured something fishy like this was going on from my experience with the beta so I mostly ignored it, but I didn't check the math. Good to know I was right.

Holy poo poo that's so dumb though. With any luck they'll patch it by live because that's seriously dumb.

Well, if its a newbie trap we don't fall for, good for us I guess. Still a pain that you can't easily compare weapons at a glance though.

May be a bad idea to list DPS at all, with different weapon types and reloading and aiming and stuff "DPS" doesn't really apply like it does in a pure RPG. Just list accuracy, damage per shot, clip size and reload time as separate values.

WoW can get away with it because weapons are identical other than stats and appearance. The only exception really is two-handed versus dual-wielding two one-handed weapons, but even then you can do a quick DPS check.

With The Division it just isn't that simple. Different weapons are more like different abilities in an RPG, not different gear.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 26, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Pierson posted:

So is this a traditional ubisoft open-world game where you have 10-20 hours of mainquest, another 10 hours of sidequest, and as many feather/map/parchment/document/recording collectathons as you can stand? I keep hearing comparisons to Destiny but as far as I know Destiny is a real MMO with endgame raids and dailies and currencies and stuff, whereas with this all I hear about is the Dark Zone PVP and some nebulous 'plan for eight-player content'.
So far it's looking like they are going for more Diablo than Destiny and I'm all for it, I'm sick of raids, weeklies, and tokens. That said I expect some of that will show up, but I'm hoping it will still be fun to bum around NOT doing those things, unlike in Destiny where if you aren't making a playdate you might as well never play. This is all speculation though because we don't have the drat game in our hands and we only got to play a purposely modified excerpt of some of the game. I still had more fun on even a bad run in the mini-DZ than I ever did getting my face pushed in repeatedly on a Nightfall or The Crucible.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Weapon DPS (specifically the number that shows up on your character sheet) doesn't actually mean anything, though. It's not a number that's used to calculate anything, it's the output of the system doing a calculation. Tech Power is a value that's actually used to calculate heal/damage/cdr on your skills. Weapon DPS is just a derived value. If it gave you a number and then that number actually fed back in to the system to do output damage, then worry about it. Otherwise it's just dick waving; use the weapon that works.

We have also only seen 5-8% of the damage curve, if the videos of not-even-level-30 players is to be believed. Worry about it then, not level 8.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Pivit posted:

You can tell the game which monitor your character should be on and you can put UI elements (xp bar, chat, minimap etc) on the second monitor.

Here is more info and a few screenshots in a reddit post.

This is lame, and from the reddit posts: only works if you have three monitors, otherwise scoping goes down the middle.

It's loving sad that I haven't seen a secondary-monitor GUI since Supreme Commander, which was self contained and had all the relevant info you needed.

A game like this could easily benefit by throwing up your inventory/quest journal with a stylized background on the second monitor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CrashCat posted:

So far it's looking like they are going for more Diablo than Destiny and I'm all for it, I'm sick of raids, weeklies, and tokens. That said I expect some of that will show up, but I'm hoping it will still be fun to bum around NOT doing those things, unlike in Destiny where if you aren't making a playdate you might as well never play. This is all speculation though because we don't have the drat game in our hands and we only got to play a purposely modified excerpt of some of the game. I still had more fun on even a bad run in the mini-DZ than I ever did getting my face pushed in repeatedly on a Nightfall or The Crucible.

Destiny isn't really an MMO. Having to log on friday to do something and having "raids" (that are only 6 people) doesn't really make it an MMO.

Destiny was supposed to be a drop-in-drop-out ad-hoc multiplayer online game like GW2, BUT it copied more of the MMORPG aspect, where they should have copied the MMORPG half and replaced the RPG raid poo poo with FPS fun stuff.

The Division is a much smarter designed game. It isn't copying elements of WoW that don't belong in an FPS. Its entirely its own thing. No Raids. No logging in on Friday.

Instead The Division is just a big gun playground where you can meet up with random other people online and shoot dudes.

I wouldn't say its more Diablo than Destiny, its not going to play anything like Diablo. It has way more PvP than Diablo ever did, and the way you farm loot isn't quite the same as Diablo. I guess it is closer to Diablo than Destiny though, if those were the only two choices.

What this really is though is something much better, something games don't get very often: A new type of game.

There's nothing else out there which is much like The Division, except maybe DayZ. Its closer to DayZ than Diablo IMO, although its not DayZ by a long shot and does have elements of Diablo. So its DiabloZ, like I said many pages ago :cheeky:

Thor-Stryker posted:

This is lame, and from the reddit posts: only works if you have three monitors, otherwise scoping goes down the middle.

It's loving sad that I haven't seen a secondary-monitor GUI since Supreme Commander, which was self contained and had all the relevant info you needed.

A game like this could easily benefit by throwing up your inventory/quest journal with a stylized background on the second monitor.

Just use your second monitor for netflix :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 26, 2016

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The Division isn't a new type of game, it's a persistent online cooperative shooter with PvP elements.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Rrrgbgng this game lacks an obscure function only included in a single other game.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Blacktoll posted:

Rrrgbgng this game lacks an obscure function only included in a single other game.

That's because it's a symptom of console-first development, why do something that should be a standard in PC gaming when you can be lazy and just make a lovely port of your console game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rabble posted:

The Division isn't a new type of game, it's a persistent online cooperative shooter with PvP elements.

What other games exist in that space?

Planetside is kinda close but doesn't really count for several reasons. DayZ is the same. I can't think of anything closer to The Division than DayZ or Planetside2.

GW2 and Diablo are even further away.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Thor-Stryker posted:

That's because it's a symptom of console-first development, why do something that should be a standard in PC gaming when you can be lazy and just make a lovely port of your console game?

:eyepoop:

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Speaking of numbers, anyone got a feeling on how well skills scale with electronics?
I wasn't super impressed with the sticky grenade, except for that time when I stickied an elite hobo in the crotch and he proptly ripped the thing off and threw it right back at me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brumaldo posted:

Speaking of numbers, anyone got a feeling on how well skills scale with electronics?
I wasn't super impressed with the sticky grenade, except for that time when I stickied an elite hobo in the crotch and he proptly ripped the thing off and threw it right back at me.

They must scale really well then because personally I was able to take down higher-level mobs using my sticky that my guns didn't do poo poo for damage against.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The thread title sucks as bad as the shotguns did!!!!!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Brumaldo posted:

Your electronics skill apparently increases your haste/recovery time on skills, so it'll ultimately be a great stat. The default sticky grenade is ok, but the flashbang version is incredible.

edit:

quote:

Weapon DPS (specifically the number that shows up on your character sheet) doesn't actually mean anything, though. It's not a number that's used to calculate anything, it's the output of the system doing a calculation.

Right, and I'm saying that the calculation is bad. It factors in literally every stat on a weapon like hip fire accuracy, headshot damage, while overstating the value of accuracy (which let me not understate is an important stat). So right now from what we've seen in the alpha and betas it gives you an extremely inaccurate picture of the dps that weapons actually do.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 26, 2016

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
^^^ guns and gear also have perks on them that unlock at certain stat levels. It'll be important to maintain a base level (and probably impossible to fall below a certain point) of stats even if you're trying to focus on other stuff.

Zaphod42 posted:

What other games exist in that space?

Planetside is kinda close but doesn't really count for several reasons. DayZ is the same. I can't think of anything closer to The Division than DayZ or Planetside2.

GW2 and Diablo are even further away.

I'd say The Division is right in Defiance's wheelhouse.

It's a melding of Destiny, DayZ, Defiance, Diablo, Borderlands...

I'm super excited about this game, but let's not sell this as a unique snowflake. It's just (hopefully) a really good snowflake.

e: I guess the thread title really should be "en vogue", shouldn't it?

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 26, 2016

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Brumaldo posted:

At 2k skill power I was doing over 10k damage on a BFB sticky and my heal was a full heal for any amount of health. My sticky would one-shot most players and any purple NPCs.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah weapon "DPS" is a trap. I think as long as you keep a weapon with you within a few levels of your character and it fits your playstyle whatever it may be or any particular gun you have a liking for, then you're okay. Honestly the DPS thing should be done away altogether because guns in this game aren't stat sticks. For example I would prefer to always have a 1911 for a sidearm and for once I'm glad a game lets you do this although to be fair it still means you have to toss your old one out for one with better stats, but whatever, it's better than making a progression of guns arbitrary and easier to just create a pool of named weapons and generate stats on them so people who liked the feel of an AK47 from the start of the game will probably try to hunt down an AK47 in the end-game because it fits with their playstyle.

I didn't know weapon DPS or weapon damage took into account it is for a headshot crit or whatever either, I thought it was just "in a perfect world with 0 recoil and all hits land centre mass your bullets each do X amount of damage, factoring in weapon RPM, reload speed, etc.". Which is sorta easy to figure out but you have to go and shoot things to check, I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Badfinger posted:

I'd say The Division is right in Defiance's wheelhouse.

It's a melding of Destiny, DayZ, Defiance, Diablo, Borderlands...

I'm super excited about this game, but let's not sell this as a unique snowflake. It's just (hopefully) a really good snowflake.

Never played Defiance so maybe. Closest thing I played was Tabula Rasa which sucked balls.

Saying "its a melding of..." and listing a ton of games doesn't mean it isn't a new game. Lots of games can be described that way. MOBAs are a huge new genre and they're just a mix of RTS and Diablo, not even 5 different games. The question is what the core gameplay mechanic is about though, and MOBAs are significantly different in that regard from RTS or Diablo type games.

Similarly The Division may be a 3rd person shooter, but its core gameplay and structure are fundamentally different from Destiny or Borderlands, and while similar to DayZ, significantly different.

I guess its technically in the same genre as DayZ though. Fair enough.

Preechr posted:

At 2k skill power I was doing over 10k damage on a BFB sticky and my heal was a full heal for any amount of health. My sticky would one-shot most players and any purple NPCs.

Yeah I forgot to mention I was using the BFB. Seems to hit like a truck.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Your electronics skill apparently increases your haste/recovery time on skills, so it'll ultimately be a great stat. The default sticky grenade is ok, but the flashbang version is incredible.

Ah, that's good to know. I wish they had tooltips for this kinda stuff, unless I missed them.

Preechr posted:

I stacked mostly stamina, and my heal would do barely more than e health bar. Also the turret was doing something like 30 damage per shot. Huh. I wonder if the shield's hp and the damage buff on pulse also scale with electronics.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
^^^ 100% definitely confirmed yes. When you look at the skills, it shows "base" values and then what your actual output is based on your modifiers.

Zaphod42 posted:

Never played Defiance so maybe. Closest thing I played was Tabula Rasa which sucked balls.

Saying "its a melding of..." and listing a ton of games doesn't mean it isn't a new game. Lots of games can be described that way. MOBAs are a huge new genre and they're just a mix of RTS and Diablo, not even 5 different games. The question is what the core gameplay mechanic is about though, and MOBAs are significantly different in that regard from RTS or Diablo type games.

Similarly The Division may be a 3rd person shooter, but its core gameplay and structure are fundamentally different from Destiny or Borderlands, and while similar to DayZ, significantly different.

I guess its technically in the same genre as DayZ though. Fair enough.

Yeah I forgot to mention I was using the BFB. Seems to hit like a truck.

Someone also said there's no raid, no grind loop, when the devs are hinting super heavily in precisely that direction. The Division has every intention to be a Destiny killer but is being super humble from a marketing standpoint about trying to get there.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 26, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Thor-Stryker posted:

I had a hearty lol at this. Tell me why gaming ought to have dual monitor capabilities as the standard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Badfinger posted:

^^^ 100% definitely confirmed yes. When you look at the skills, it shows "base" values and then what your actual output is based on your modifiers.

Someone also said there's no raid, no grind loop, when the devs are hinting super heavily in precisely that direction. The Division has every intention to be a Destiny killer but is being super humble from a marketing standpoint about trying to get there.

No grind loop is nonsense, its got RPG guns, its got levels, ergo there's a grind. Its just a question of how much of a grind or how much the game is built around the grind. Not a bad thing inherently.

No raids mentioned by raids alone don't really make Destiny into an MMORPGFPS. IMO Division is way better at all the online aspects than Destiny ever has been.

If they add raids eventually that could be cool, but I'm not exactly dying for raids so I'm fine with them not having mentioned them yet.

I mean, "raids" in this context is pretty silly. They're not anything like raids in a proper MMO. They're just missions with a bigger player count. Raids in Destiny are just 6 player strikes. If they added 6 player missions to The Division, it wouldn't change all that much.

Home Made Jesus
Jun 16, 2008
Oh God, Tabula Rasa... So bad.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Blacktoll posted:

I had a hearty lol at this. Tell me why gaming ought to have dual monitor capabilities as the standard.

Because if you don't have two monitors you're a loving bitchmade.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Had an amazing time with the beta of this game, which has convinced me to buy the full version, despite not really knowing anything about it going in.

Currently debating between Xbox and PC versions. Leaning a little towards the Xbox due to the chattiness of the players. The most memorable parts of the beta was walking around the dark zone, listening in to others planning out their games in prox chat, running directly into strangers at extractions zones and being in mexican standoffs where everyone tries to awkwardly convince everyone else that we're all friends, honest.

Absolutely love the idea of teaming up with goons though for the hijinx, though I suspect most here are PC / PS4 players.

Being Australian i'm used to being region or ping locked out of multiplayer experiences and missing out, since noone here plays anything but COD post launch week. But I ran into and teamed up with and against plenty of Americans, Europeans and Canadians in the beta which fills me with promise for the final version.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Isometric Bacon posted:

Currently debating between Xbox and PC versions. Leaning a little towards the Xbox due to the chattiness of the players.
I am couch playing it so I went console to avoid having to fight everyone on KB+M while I have a gamepad. Well that and personally the random goons on my console list are probably going to be more receptive than the friends list I've cobbled together on Steam :effort:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Because if you don't have two monitors you're a loving bitchmade.

harsh but fair

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

I stand by my previous suggestion: The Division - Chopper inbound to evacuate my scarf

Given the criticism in the previous thread of goons that shot strays I would also accept: The Division - Dog Lives Matter

On a serious note OP, as well as free copies of the game being available with certain graphics cards you can also get a free copy if you need to buy a fancy pants new keyboard: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-gb/gaming-keyboards

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dial A For Awesome posted:

I stand by my previous suggestion: The Division - Chopper inbound to evacuate my scarf

Given the criticism in the previous thread of goons that shot strays I would also accept: The Division - Dog Lives Matter

On a serious note OP, as well as free copies of the game being available with certain graphics cards you can also get a free copy if you need to buy a fancy pants new keyboard: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-gb/gaming-keyboards

"Airlift my parachute pants" gets my vote.

and I am <--> this close to buying that logi keyboard. I haven't had a mechanical keyboard in such a long time.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
THE DIVISION - gently caress YOU GOT MINE

Literally anything than the title we have now gosh darn.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
For anyone not in the USA, I have found a workaround for the 4x Free DLC / agent origins gears. Have someone who is in USA go to http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.co...--17-19-10-0116 and make a fake account / email. Enter the code agent origins, this will generate a CD key, that anyone region locked or not can enter on your uplay account. Enter it twice and look for it to say "This key has already been redeemed on your account" to make sure it took effect.

Enjoy.

Also, you can PM me if you need the key as i'm in the USA, might take a bit but ill get it done.

shankerz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 27, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This video expressed some of my concerns about the loot, even if the gameplay has longevity, which I'm still worried about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDPLqCQiC6Y

The thing that got me coming back to Destiny was the creative armor and unique weapons. I never bothered min/maxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Can wait to do the one week only quest to get a laser rifle that bounces off walls in Tom Clancy's The Division.

• Locked thread