Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reverse Centaur posted:

This video expressed some of my concerns about the loot, even if the gameplay has longevity, which I'm still worried about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDPLqCQiC6Y

The thing that got me coming back to Destiny was the creative armor and unique weapons. I never bothered min/maxing.

Getting loot in Destiny took forever, especially at vanilla when the mechanics suuuucked. And tons of guns that look cool are crap, even some of the raid rewards were completely useless.

Also Destiny's devs have ADD on balance and so every 6 months an entire class of weapons gets nerfed and another class gets made OP. So people jump around and everybody uses the current gun de jour, its not really about collecting things you think look cool. A little, but not so much. And then in raids there's specific guns you have to use.

The Division not being fantasy or sci-fi means the loot is less "epic", yeah, but here's the smart thing; your appearance isn't tied to your armor. Which I love anyways, because having everybody in a mismatched clown outfit in order to have the best stats sucks. Better that we have cosmetic gear we get to purely choose between as customization. After that, armor is just stats, so who cares how "epic" it is. You're not going to come back at the end of the week to get armor that has a fancy name or something. In diablo its not about how things look, its about the stats and the unique abilities.

And I think The Division delivers on those unique abilities just as much as Diablo. We've only seen the beginning, but already I've seen lots of promise. Unique attributes like bonuses to certain gun types, or recovering health on kills, bonus skill usage, etc.

As long as top-level orange guns have some really cool unique stats like Diablo, say a shotgun with flaming rounds, things like that, it'll be fine. The appearance of guns and armor not being super epic is a non-issue IMO.

This video assumes that no loot in the game will have abilities that do things he didn't see in beta? That seems ridiculous. He admits that if little bonuses could happen like a bonus to sticky damage on gear, that would be exciting, but then he concludes that such a thing simply doesn't exist. Uhhh okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

Guess we aren't splitting the thread between PC and Consoles?

Hope the console users enjoy the master race complaining about the various bugs that will inevitably crop up, or how we'll let you know how lovely the inventory screen is because it was designed for controllers rather than glorious mouse and keyboard.

This didn't happen in the previous thread. I read every page. If it begins to become a problem then I will consider splitting the threads, but the content and mechanics are unified across all platforms so I don't see much sense in splitting the thread just to appease one or two goons who can't bear to scroll past the odd post or two that is exclusively PC orientated.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The thread title sucks as bad as the shotguns did!!!!!

I asked several times in the last thread for suggestions and I got like 3. This was by far the best suggestion. You made your bed

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Hezzy posted:

I asked several times in the last thread for suggestions and I got like 3. This was by far the best suggestion. You made your bed

There was like 40 suggestions through the thread U rear end

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I just want this game to be out already. I need to murder someone for a turtleneck and scarf in the DZ while blasting backstreet boys on proxy chat.

Thor-Stryker posted:

That's because it's a symptom of console-first development, why do something that should be a standard in PC gaming when you can be lazy and just make a lovely port of your console game?

I hate to break it to you, games these days are getting more and more cross platform development and will most likely always have consoles in mind with design.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Video on map size and comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52EK5xRtnJM

Zaphod42 posted:

And tons of guns that look cool are crap, even some of the raid rewards were completely useless. +:words:

This was also true of Borderlands. I loved Borderlands (well #2 because the first one sucked as it was too easy) but a lot of the guns you found got tossed aside or sold because they weren't worth it even if they did have some kind of interesting mechanic.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zaphod42 posted:

After that, armor is just stats, so who cares how "epic" it is.

I do, although I would never use the word epic. That was my point, and the point of the video. If it's just about stats then I won't play very long.

No argument Destiny had a lot of flaws in general, but I wasn't talking about that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reverse Centaur posted:

I do, although I would never use the word epic. That was my point, and the point of the video. If it's just about stats then I won't play very long.

No argument Destiny had a lot of flaws in general, but I wasn't talking about that.

But what I mean is, do you care that its called "The slayanator 2000" and it has red skulls on it and flavor text that says "The slayanator 2000 was used to slay over 2000 demons in the past."

OR, are you looking for "Sword that changes your fireball into a poisonball" and gives you a new build or changes your abilities?

That's what I'm saying, the look and name don't have to be epic as long as there's cool abilities. And I think assuming that we've seen all the abilities in the game in the beta is ridiculous.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Stuff like "when equipped your [Skill] gains the effect of [Skill Mod]" on gear is a good way of doing it that's powerful but doesn't need them do do crazy stuff like "this gun has homing mini-rockets instead of bullets" if they want to stay "realistic"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stuff like "when equipped your [Skill] gains the effect of [Skill Mod]" on gear is a good way of doing it that's powerful but doesn't need them do do crazy stuff like "this gun has homing mini-rockets instead of bullets" if they want to stay "realistic"

That's pretty much what most of Destiny's exotics do anyhow, let you double-up on skill bonuses and stuff.

And the homing mini-rockets just proved impossible to balance :cheeky:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'm not expecting any D3:RoS style crazy stuff, but a little more than most of the destiny stuff would also be nice.

99% of the loot in that game had the most boring bonuses known to man.

Give me boots that give me a move speed boost when rogue, or gloves with an augmented trigger finger that lets you fire two shots for every one, stuff like that, I dunno I'm not King Unisoft Massive or anything I just like loot.

Gimmy a backpack with a mini drone in it that flies around and collects ammo for you in an area.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Man I feel sorry for you folks that don't have fun just shooting dudes for loot and levels. All this whining about dark zone and min/maxing and not having p2w gear is completely foreign to me.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I love shooting "looters" and "rioters"

It really gets my Tom Clancy's Hard On going

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I love shooting "looters" and "rioters"

It really gets my Tom Clancy's Hard On going

honestly I really hope the greater enemy density equates to more thugs in hoodies, and fewer bulldozers with flamethrowers. fighting those guys is just boring.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
What? Shooting cleaners fuel tanks was the best. Watching them panic when the tank burst and then they explode taking out more guys. Shooting the grenade guy's backpacks did a similar effect and it looked like someone lit up a string of fireworks in their bag as they panicked before it exploded.

I just thought the hoodies guys are as equal to boars in any RPG and the "they got Alex" spam they said.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

IMO, Cleaners... did nothing wrong.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Morter posted:

Man I feel sorry for you folks that don't have fun just shooting dudes for loot and levels. All this whining about dark zone and min/maxing and not having p2w gear is completely foreign to me.
:agreed:

And regarding having wacky effects on weapons and poo poo, this stuff's gotta ramp up. We could end up with full on Clancy meets Borderlands level technomagic by the end of the season pass.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Crap, looks like Vivendi is trying to do a hostile takeover of Ubisoft.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Vadoc posted:

napoleon :argh:

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Vadoc posted:

Nevermind, they bought themselves from Vivendi.

gently caress Vivendi.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Arthil posted:

gently caress Vivendi.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Billy Elliot posted:

What? Shooting cleaners fuel tanks was the best. Watching them panic when the tank burst and then they explode taking out more guys. Shooting the grenade guy's backpacks did a similar effect and it looked like someone lit up a string of fireworks in their bag as they panicked before it exploded.

I just thought the hoodies guys are as equal to boars in any RPG and the "they got Alex" spam they said.

I just thought fighting large groups of them or one after another, repeatedly, got boring very quickly. Shooting the fuel tanks was fun but doing it like five or six or more times in a single mission got tedious, imo. I guess you could say that regular shootouts are tedious too but not to me.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Arthil posted:

Nevermind, they bought themselves from Vivendi.

gently caress Vivendi.

Any source for this?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thys game must be made as realistic has possible, to show We the people that

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Odette posted:

Any source for this?

"On July 25, 2013, Activision Blizzard announced the purchase of 429 million shares from owner Vivendi for $5.83 billion, dropping the shareholder from a 63% stake to 11.8% by the end of the deal in September. At the conclusion of the deal, Vivendi was no longer Activision Blizzard's parent company, and Activision Blizzard became an independent company as a majority of the shares became owned by the public."

It's Wikipedia but for stuff like this, yeah. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard#Split_from_Vivendi_and_growth_.282013.E2.80.9314.29

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
http://fortune.com/2016/02/26/ubisoft-hunts-for-canadian-investors-to-fight-off-vivendi/
Better than Wikipedia

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Ah thought he was talking about ActiBlizzard buying themselves out from under Vivendi.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
So a couple of things from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VAlM3kUvj4
There's a rifle range where you can test your weapons out! You can use a sawn off side by side as a sidearm. Both things rule.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TG-Chrono posted:

So a couple of things from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VAlM3kUvj4
There's a rifle range where you can test your weapons out! You can use a sawn off side by side as a sidearm. Both things rule.

Two things I noticed:
- It seems we can use small shotgun in the pistol slot. Cool.
- Inflaction!, numbers goes to 4 digits at level 25. I shaw a shot doing something like 13000 damage. I guest at level 30 we will do something like 18000 damage.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

shankerz posted:

For anyone not in the USA, I have found a workaround for the 4x Free DLC / agent origins gears. Have someone who is in USA go to http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.co...--17-19-10-0116 and make a fake account / email. Enter the code agent origins, this will generate a CD key, that anyone region locked or not can enter on your uplay account. Enter it twice and look for it to say "This key has already been redeemed on your account" to make sure it took effect.

Enjoy.

Also, you can PM me if you need the key as i'm in the USA, might take a bit but ill get it done.

This is old, this method is listed in the op. When you hammer their servers several times from the same IP they ban it, and then its impossible to get back into it. You will get 8 keys at the most. The way that is in the OP will warrant a key per person if they do those instructions.

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 27, 2016

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

so, uh, the game map isn't all of Manhattan, just what we played in the beta?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
In all seriousness, do you really think they could do a good job of doing ALL of Manhattan and making it interesting / worth playing?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The beta map is a small part of the full map.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

super macho dude posted:

Source? I was pretty sure the beta map was a subset.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

super macho dude posted:

There were a bunch of red walls that you couldn't pass that would bring up some kind of warning, I think it wasn't accessible in the beta or something.

The map will be a lot bigger than what we could actually play in the beta.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Best screenshot of the map I could find on google really fast:

The boundaries of the beta area and what they are calling "midtown Manhattan" is visible.

They have shown footage from Brooklyn before I think ? so there is probably more to it...

Qmass fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 27, 2016

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Club uPlay offers a 20% discount on any game/preorder for 100 uplay units.
Preordering The Division will credit 100 u-coins back to your account.

If you have played other games on uplay, chances are that you are already sitting on >100 coins for random archivements and unlocks.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I hope they add Central Park at some point. There's a lot you could do with that space!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

loving lol if the rest of the map is only available through dlc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Qmass posted:

They have shown footage from Brooklyn before I think ? so there is probably more to it...

They showed Brooklyn a while ago, but it's not in at release. We're supposed to get all (most?) of Manhattan, as I understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

super macho dude posted:

loving lol if the rest of the map is only available through dlc

A lot of the beta areas that were closed off had the "new area marker" just beyond the barrier with higher levels on them so it's safe to say that the final game area will at least be a little bigger than the beta area. I doubt we will have all of Manhattan available, they have to save some areas so they can sell it to us at a later date. Wouldn't be Ubisoft if they let us have all the game for the price of the game.

• Locked thread