Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I love the music in this game, Kumi Tanioka did the soundtrack and they really knocked it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Oh man, I'm so happy someone is finally LPing this game! This is going to be great!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

One thing worth noting is that while your ability to realistically kill things is gated by stats, you don't necessarily have to progress time - which happens by collecting myrrh drops, and only by collecting myrrh drops - to increase those stats.

When an area's myrrh tree is depleted, you can still run back through the area to collect item drops and (more importantly) artifacts. This does not progress time but does beef up your characters. While these items and artifacts are themselves limited by cycle, area, and RNG, you can still become quite impressively powerful just from cycle 1 areas.

Now, if you only ever hit up places which do progress time, then yes you'll probably go through quite a few years of game time before your stats are high enough to take on the final boss.

Also, handy tip for the defense stat - if you're taking more than half a heart of damage from regular attacks (big beefy things with big wind-ups can be expected to do more), then you really want more defense. You'll find yourself dying a lot more regularly if you take 1, 2, or more hearts per hit on a regular basis.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fedule posted:

It's between this and Ivalice moogles for
sure. Obviously the Ivalice ones have the advantage of much better characterisation but none of them ever carried a bucket for an adventurer... or allowed themselves to be painted.

I like the nihilistic Ivalice Moogles in FF12 at the entrance to High Arcadia.

Cancer Cowboy
Jul 20, 2011

Locks: 50G each
Report: 50,000G
Izuka Hit: 3,000G
(I don't like that guy)
Not being Sothe: Priceless.
Pressure Fedz to release the Technical Difficulties Rap, poo poo is tighter than Donkey Kong 64 crossed with Yeezy

Saphybelle
Jan 29, 2016
I keep listening to another bit of the video and getting reminded about how weird my voice sounds :/

Whyyyyyy

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Saphybelle posted:

I keep listening to another bit of the video and getting reminded about how weird my voice sounds :/

Whyyyyyy

Everybody sounds weird to themselves at first from what I've seen. I'm guessing the feeling gets better as time goes on, but I never made LPs so I don't actually know.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Everybody sounds weird to themselves at first from what I've seen. I'm guessing the feeling gets better as time goes on, but I never made LPs so I don't actually know.

It's usually because the mic is not good. I don't think you get that from high-quality microphones.

Cancer Cowboy
Jul 20, 2011

Locks: 50G each
Report: 50,000G
Izuka Hit: 3,000G
(I don't like that guy)
Not being Sothe: Priceless.
Nah, it's just her voice.

You do totally get used to it but it took me a year of podcasting to accept my nerdy as gently caress squawk

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Fedule posted:

I need to figure out a general attack plan for the next few years (3-5) on the LP file; specifically whether to do any cycle 2 dungeons or push on and do all the cycle 1s ASAP. River Belle just clicked onto cycle 2 and I tried to solo it as Fedz and got rolled by the first few monsters :(

If you get the magicite and have the slots, Haste (Life/Cure/Cure) can help you dodge things and survive between movement and casting time, but it's a better strategy for someone using Physical or Focus Attacks. I'd imagine Yuke solo is tricky, but Yukes also have the best Defend command, so abuse that when you can.

On future years, aiming for the HP and Pocket upgrades seem like a good thing if anyone missed them, which might mean doing some repeats.

Looking for a Fire/Blizzard/Thunder Ring for yourself will at least keep you from having nothing to do at the beginning of a dungeon too, which I think can be a drop in future dungeons. I think Veo Lu Sluice might be the first, which I'd love to see sooner rather then later because of the music.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

No lie, I totally forgot you could even cast Haste yourself in this game, though it probably would have come up when I look up a bunch of where everything is, which I'm probably going to do soon before I do something stupid.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Vil posted:

One thing worth noting is that while your ability to realistically kill things is gated by stats, you don't necessarily have to progress time - which happens by collecting myrrh drops, and only by collecting myrrh drops - to increase those stats.

so it's impossible to doom your hometown if you don't collect enough myrrh fast enough? that's lame but at the same time I understand why it's like that

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Steelpudding posted:

It's usually because the mic is not good. I don't think you get that from high-quality microphones.

I don't think even the highest-quality microphone can solve the problem of "the voice you hear when you talk is reverberating through your skull, so when you hear the voice the mic picked up that wasn't doing that it sounds completely wrong".

A bad mic can probably make it worse somehow, though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

darealkooky posted:

so it's impossible to doom your hometown if you don't collect enough myrrh fast enough? that's lame but at the same time I understand why it's like that

it probably would've been easy to implement some kind of time limit but I'm glad they didn't

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

distactedOne posted:

I don't think even the highest-quality microphone can solve the problem of "the voice you hear when you talk is reverberating through your skull, so when you hear the voice the mic picked up that wasn't doing that it sounds completely wrong".

A bad mic can probably make it worse somehow, though.

Yeah, a poor recording of your voice sounds god-awful. I don't mind it too much if it's done with high quality.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

darealkooky posted:

Correct. Every successful myrrh drop collection takes 1/3 of your allotted year. Every other action takes no time whatsoever. The time mechanic is largely a formality.

I'm actually glad you can avoid progressing time unless you want to, because there are a handful of artifacts which while common in cycle 1, are extremely rare if everything is cycle 3. There are also a handful of crafting materials/recipes which simply don't exist at all if everything is cycle 3, so if by chance you want one of those things, you'd better get it while it's actually available. (They're all situational though. All the really important/useful craftable stuff is unmissable.)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:siren: Update! :siren:

Year 1 Part 4: Actually, it's an Orc King - in which we ring in the new year by reading our diaries.

(This is the last episode before video quality recovers!)

Including music:

[In the Gloomy Darkness] Mournful. Probably much sadder if you're a Lilty.

[My Den] Moogle Nests! This is another pleasant rendition of the Moogle Theme. FF:CC has a few of these.

[Nostalgic Profile] Party Theme Part 1. Not much to say about it except, hey, this sure is another pleasant theme with flutes in it.

[Annual Festival] Party Theme Part 2. Hooray for not dying! Note the reprise of...

[Water of Life] The incredibly pleasant music that plays when you harvest a drop of myrrh.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 17, 2016

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Oh man, I love this game and even most of its sequels. It's pretty clever about asset use. Despite having a LOT of FF9 models as enemies I and as the basis for your characters, it feels really unique.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This game has issues, but I really like it all the same. Played the hell out of it when I was younger. Single-player though. I seem to remember some stuff you'd probably need a guide for. Think I got to the last boss but gave up there. I'm glad they made sure single-player and multiplayer viable up until then, but I remember the last boss seeming a bit "gently caress you, go multiplayer". Anyway, the moogle friend you get (Mog?) is great and also you can paint him.

As I remember, magic fusion was entirely different single-player. Easier but there were some high-end spells you couldn't get at I think?

The music rules, along with most of the sound design. I forgot about all the little introduction stories but those are great too. Also a lot of monsters are very FFIX, which I always appreciate. And Yukes have the best run animation.

fake edit: and since I just saw one and remembered them, I love those lamps that are just bombs in cages

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Missed a detail in music notes;

[Annual Festival] Party Theme Part 2. Hooray for not dying! Note the reprise of...

[Water of Life] The incredibly pleasant music that plays when you harvest a drop of myrrh.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 4, 2016

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

McDragon posted:

As I remember, magic fusion was entirely different single-player. Easier but there were some high-end spells you couldn't get at I think?

Yep. You just fused two adjacent command slots. I always used this feature to fuse a weapon with a Magicite to have [Magic]strike on hand at all times.

(You can put weapons in your command slots which I guess could be useful in multiplayer for. versatility I guess? but I only ever used it in single-player for self-fusion)

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Ryushikaze posted:

Oh man, I love this game and even most of its sequels. It's pretty clever about asset use. Despite having a LOT of FF9 models as enemies I and as the basis for your characters, it feels really unique.

Ring of Fates...wasn't the best. Then again, I believe that's a Prequel.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i appreciate how you guys are demonstrating that keeping the scoring goals a secret is totally meaningless. there was nooo reason for this game not to have standard co-op!

but on the bright side the music for cathuriges mine is top tier

Ryushikaze posted:

yeah, the art design for ff9 and this game is fantastic

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Looper posted:

i appreciate how you guys are demonstrating that keeping the scoring goals a secret is totally meaningless. there was nooo reason for this game not to have standard co-op!

Meaningless and arbitrary! The worst part, though, is that eventually you do need to start staying on top of your score, but sometimes the game will just give you some bullshit conditions that you can't do anything with. Like "Defeat enemies with spell fusion" for a Lilty. And let's not forget that even if you do manage to farm a good score, it's still down to RNG as to whether or not it meant a drat thing.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
So video two already showed off why Yukes are the best class in an easy game, and why being the only Yuke in a party means that doesn't matter and you're back to not-a-Lilty. Spells are mandatory in Crystal Chronicles. Flying enemies only take 1 damage per hit until they're grounded by Gravity. Dungeons in later cycles have flying enemies with hundreds of HP between them. Every one needs a Gravity spell cast before it starts taking real damage, and as the only Yuke you're always waiting on the other guy anyway. For general damage even Yukes are better off stacking strength and hitting things with their weapon up until post-game gear. The differences in stats between classes just do not matter.

Of course, it's an easy game. 90% of dungeons have a guaranteed Cure drop from the first pack of enemies. Pick whatever character design you like the look of most and play that.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Clavats will very eventually get an accessory option that gives them casting time comparable to yukes. But until then, I agree. Yukes' casting speed is more beneficial either a. in single player or b. with a second yuke in multi player.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Silegna posted:

Ring of Fates...wasn't the best. Then again, I believe that's a Prequel.

It has its problems, but I love the ending.
I don't know if it's a prequel or not.

Looper posted:

yeah, the art design for ff9 and this game is fantastic

It's amazing. Everyone has their own personality. Like Eiko and the Lilties are made with the same basic model framework, but their animations and look are wholly different

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:siren:Update!:siren:

Year 2 Part 1: And the Goblins Will Pay For It, in which Goblin Wall appears out of nowhere.

(Warning: HD may still be processing)

I did actually get a bit confused here because I forgot and/or didn't notice that Goblin Wall actually doesn't appear until year 2 and I thought I just missed it last year and :v:
Also this is where the video quality recovers a bit. Yay for competent interlacing.

Featuring such music as:

[Shudder, Monster] Theme of Goblin Wall. Somehow spooky and lovely.

[Make a Resolution] Boss introduction. I'unno, seems more mischievous than threatening.

[Monster's Dance ~Rondo~] Boss battle. I warned y'all about the fierce flute waaaay back in like Episode 1.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
The Life spell can revive multiple people, yes.

So can a Phoenix Down.

Incidentally, dead players noclip through each other iirc.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh man, getting flashbacks to playing this game with my friends. With a full group of four, you could always count on someone running his or her face head long into death meaning I always had cure and life at the ready with sweaty, clammy palms.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Gods, I remember this game, I still own it. I filled up the entire party with a bunch of dummy characters so I had a full town, but didn't actually do much with them... I actually beat the whole game solo, even that long rear end fight against the last boss... it was... an endurance match to say the least.
I kinda wish that the multiplayer was better though... only managed to play it that way once, and only with one person, which basically made the game singleplayer, only with a moogle that didn't follow you around.
I do have to say that the music is still amazing. I still occasionally listen to it randomly.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Prepare to dispel any illusions that we know what we're doing...

:siren:Update!:siren:

Year 2 Part 2: At Least We Got Paid, in which a great many things go wrong but we also score a truckload of free silver because the Lilties are bros.

I should probably reassure you now that we will successfully track down Knocfelna later. Also I just noticed the chest that I think contains the cure when rewatching the video :cripes:.

Lovely music featured:

[If it's Three People...] Theme of the shady Selkies. Deceptively pleasant.

[Prosperity and Tradition] Theme of Alfitaria. Very bustling.

[Magii is Everything] Theme of Moschet Manor. Very refined.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 16, 2016

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
No Cure Mode made that area a lot more fun than it usually is.

Well, to watch, anyway.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
This weird game, man. I love it though. Just dropping by to say how much I love it.

Here's some unfinished art I made way back when. I'd love to pick up the time to re-make it with Fedule's LP's characters. :D

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

HelloWinter posted:

This weird game, man. I love it though. Just dropping by to say how much I love it.

Here's some unfinished art I made way back when. I'd love to pick up the time to re-make it with Fedule's LP's characters. :D

I'd love for you to do that too!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

No Cure Mode made that area a lot more fun than it usually is.

Well, to watch, anyway.

Believe me, in retrospect we appreciated the certain... unique tension it contributed.

Anyway. We do have a plan for future years now, and more importantly it seems the way we are going to handle repeat dungeons is to have digest videos of particularly notable changes, drops, discoveries or if something very notable happens in commentary - hell, we might even be able to start doing multiple dungeons in one video that way. It seems the best way to stop the repetitiveness of the later cycles from translating into repetitive videos.

Speaking of balance, I should probably point out that I also think that, now that the glut of initial "omg this game!" posts has passed, we should have a balance in the thread of that specifically about the game and chat related to... well, the chatter from the videos. We're running an informal style (even though I am keeping it informative) and we're prone to tangents, and we don't think you should be left out of that!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 17, 2016

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, having a moogle around to carry the chalice makes it way easier to dodge things. Being able to just run away changes things quite a lot. That shockwave of Jack's takes up practically the whole bubble by the looks of things. Multiplayer really seems to make use of the things it does differently to single.

Actually, on the subject of Mog (I assume he's called Mog), sometimes he gets tired and goes really slowly unless you let him rest. You mentioned in the video you can give him a haircut, and there's a few areas where he gets tired quicker unless he's had a shave I think?

And in single-player if you connect 1 GBA you can pick what map you get (except for one maybe) by painting Mog more of one colour than the others. And I think you need at least one to even see your bonus condition in singleplayer.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

The missing Cure magicite, at 19:16

...directly opposite of the Life you got. :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

McDragon posted:

Oh, having a moogle around to carry the chalice makes it way easier to dodge things. Being able to just run away changes things quite a lot. That shockwave of Jack's takes up practically the whole bubble by the looks of things. Multiplayer really seems to make use of the things it does differently to single.

Yeah, the chalice thing is huge and I feel it was more carefully thought out than some will give it credit for. Like, it's not just a crude way of herding the team together. It completely changes how you have to approach any enemy with area control. If nobody is carrying the chalice, sure you have an extra attacker/healer but the enemy can wander over and clobber everyone at once. If you have a carrier, you have your freedom of movement back, and you can do stuff like position yourself so that the team always has space to retreat from the enemy - as valuable a defensive tactic as spamming Cure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is what I wish MMORPGs could be like. It has such great opportunities for teamwork and fun fights, I love the spell fusion and the way you pick up spells as you go through each level. It's just so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe not as an MMORPG, but being connected to the net giving you a chance to run into other players' caravans or having to fight rival teams for the same Myrrh tree would be cool. Especially if there could be 3-way battles between 2 player teams and the area boss.

• Locked thread