Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that would be fantastic. Really, something structured like Diablo or PSO or something would be ideal: just doing dungeon runs with your pals and using teamwork to beat tough bosses and having a great time. Fighting rival teams for Myrrh trees and stuff would just be gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
In short, Square-Enix should team up with FromSoftware to make FF: Crystal Souls

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Zanzibar Ham posted:

In short, Square-Enix should team up with FromSoftware to make FF: Crystal Souls

I'd love to see the story that comes out of that. It would be nuts.

Plucky teens save the world! BUT THEY ARE CURSED AND SO IS EVERYTHING EVERYTHING IS DYING but everything will be ok after our fight with the main villain! WILL IT? WHO KNOWS! WHO KNOWS IF ANYONE CAN BE SAVED AT ALL!...but at least we'll save our hometownOUR HOMETOWN WAS DOOMED REGARDLESS AND ALSO POSSIBLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS WHOLE MESS AND THE MAIN VILLAIN WAS AT LEAST PARTIALLY JUSTIFIED IN TRYING TO BURN IT DOWN THINGS AREN'T SO BLACK AND WHITE YOU KNOW

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What would be cooler, if the NPC dialogue and notes you read along the playthrough had Souls-esque doomed dialogue/writing while your player journals were full of rose-tinted recounts of events, or vice-versa?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Zanzibar Ham posted:

FromSoft need to get back to Armored Core games. I need a fix.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I can live with that, especially if they port it to PC (in a non-crappy way).

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Lost Kingdoms. I want more.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Exactly how garbage is blocking? Having to manually swap to it sounds annoying but couldn't it have been handy against that shockwave move? It seemed like he had enough of a startup that you have time to swap your moves around

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
moschet manor owns, i really like that you don't actually kill jack and maggie

darealkooky posted:

Exactly how garbage is blocking? Having to manually swap to it sounds annoying but couldn't it have been handy against that shockwave move? It seemed like he had enough of a startup that you have time to swap your moves around

blocking not being its own button really sucks. a single player might be able to focus enough to make some use of it if they generally spam attack but in a melee it's a bit harder to think like that. and like, yukes may have the best guard but fedule's gonna have the hardest time cycling to it because he'll be using magic all the time, and you can't customize where attack and defend are on the command list. and a lot of enemies have some kind of aoe shockwave attack that has even less of a tell than jack's, so you're usually better off just running away than trying to time a block

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, Yukes have to not only find Defend in the menu but also have to start up the animation. Yuke Defend is great but has the most startup lag of any race.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Fedule posted:

Yeah, Yukes have to not only find Defend in the menu but also have to start up the animation. Yuke Defend is great but has the most startup lag of any race.

Hitting L and R at the same time instantly moves you back to "Attack", though, which means you're always exactly two button presses command inputs away from Defend at any point in time (L+R to get to Attack, then cycling one over to Defend). If you always organize your spells in the same way, cycling to Defend and then back to your spells isn't _too_ big of a hassle, although I think it would have been better if L+R brought you straight to Defend instead.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Olesh posted:

Hitting L and R at the same time instantly moves you back to "Attack", though, which means you're always exactly two button presses command inputs away from Defend at any point in time (L+R to get to Attack, then cycling one over to Defend).

mother fucker--

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Symbol explanations:

Selkies use the swirly orb+tail thing
Yukes use the large emblem with a yuke head in the center
Lilties have the crown
Clavats have a feather.

Also, the yuke guard owns. omni directional, total physical invincibility (maybe magic too, been a while.)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Fedule posted:

mother fucker--

They mentioned that at the beginning of the game, right? I swear I saw that.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of Mario & Luigi.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

GeneralYeti posted:

Going back through the first episode, it doesn't say this in the tutorial. I actually kind of remembering that being a thing now, though I didn't need to use it much in single player so I thought it was initially useless.

Gensuki posted:

Also, the yuke guard owns. omni directional, total physical invincibility (maybe magic too, been a while.)

Yeah I'm pretty sure it dodges magic as well.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

GeneralYeti posted:

It's in the instruction manual. I'm not sure if any of the in-game tutorials actually tell you about it.

Cancer Cowboy
Jul 20, 2011

Locks: 50G each
Report: 50,000G
Izuka Hit: 3,000G
(I don't like that guy)
Not being Sothe: Priceless.
Hahahaha. Manuals. I remember those.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Man, I was excited to see this in the LP threads last night, I adore FFCC. It has a special place in my heart, even if I never did manage to get to the end (my two playing partners got bored of it, being teenagers, and it wasn't as much fun without them). Such a great soundtrack, and a lovely aesthetic that they haven't really done as much with since then.

It was brutal seeing you all flail miserably at Moschet Manor, though:
"We have no healing!" *everyone proceeds to spend half their time outside the bubble, charge into danger, refuse to dodge attacks, and forget about food*
"We found Life! Not good enough!" *instead of switching all their Phoenix Downs to the new designated healer to avoid wasting them, and using it as their heal, the party continues to charge ahead in a desperate attempt to complete the level as quickly as possible*
I felt physical pain when you knowingly headed into the boss fight with two near-dead teammates when you could simply have let them stay in the Fart Clouds and healed up to full. Great fun LP so far, but you're struggling to adapt to being dealt a bad hand, and Fedule, if you're not okay with being designated healer (and prioritising that over dealing damage) do you want to ask someone else to do it?

I don't mean to rain on the parade at all, you mostly seem like you're having fun and I'm really enjoying the LP (99% of the time), it just seems like you have a couple of mental blocks that are hampering you a lot. If it's just that you're focused too much on conversation/LPing to also focus on the game, that's okay, I'll live. I watched Slowbeef playing Metroid Prime, this is nowhere near as painful.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

WFGuy posted:

Man, I was excited to see this in the LP threads last night, I adore FFCC. It has a special place in my heart, even if I never did manage to get to the end (my two playing partners got bored of it, being teenagers, and it wasn't as much fun without them). Such a great soundtrack, and a lovely aesthetic that they haven't really done as much with since then.

It was brutal seeing you all flail miserably at Moschet Manor, though:
"We have no healing!" *everyone proceeds to spend half their time outside the bubble, charge into danger, refuse to dodge attacks, and forget about food*
"We found Life! Not good enough!" *instead of switching all their Phoenix Downs to the new designated healer to avoid wasting them, and using it as their heal, the party continues to charge ahead in a desperate attempt to complete the level as quickly as possible*
I felt physical pain when you knowingly headed into the boss fight with two near-dead teammates when you could simply have let them stay in the Fart Clouds and healed up to full. Great fun LP so far, but you're struggling to adapt to being dealt a bad hand, and Fedule, if you're not okay with being designated healer (and prioritising that over dealing damage) do you want to ask someone else to do it?

I don't mean to rain on the parade at all, you mostly seem like you're having fun and I'm really enjoying the LP (99% of the time), it just seems like you have a couple of mental blocks that are hampering you a lot. If it's just that you're focused too much on conversation/LPing to also focus on the game, that's okay, I'll live. I watched Slowbeef playing Metroid Prime, this is nowhere near as painful.

God I know :(

Our disorganisation stems from the fact that we're all at completely different levels of skill/knowledge re: this game, so our style just kinda flows out of what things are the easiest to do for people who don't have to be thinking so much all the time (Cancer hates thinking so he hits things with a stick, etc). I don't mind being the healer because I'm the best suited for it.

I am certain we will improve, individually and as a team, over time.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Fedule posted:

(Cancer hates thinking so he hits things with a stick, etc).

Cancer's well-honed fundamentals are the sign of a veteran adventurer :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Moschet Manor has the best level pre-amble in the game and I won't hear otherwise. I like the level concept too.

Related to the on-screen struggle, one thing that I don't think has been outright stated is that enemies scale with the player count. However I'm not sure if it's the number of enemies, their stats, or both that scale.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:siren:Update!:siren:

Year 2 Part 3: Total Village Wipe, in which being dead gets us all killed.

Featuring such lovely music as...

[Eternal Oath] Theme of Tida Village. Not very sunny at all. :smith:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Moschet Manor has the best level pre-amble in the game and I won't hear otherwise. I like the level concept too.

Related to the on-screen struggle, one thing that I don't think has been outright stated is that enemies scale with the player count. However I'm not sure if it's the number of enemies, their stats, or both that scale.

mmm yes, how very dark-soulsian

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I like this lp a lot.

I never played this but it reminds me of when I used to play through Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance with my friend. Crystal Chronicles is probably a much better and more expansive game than that, but there're enough similarities to make me think of it. We probably would have played this had we heard of it/met the ridiculous hardware requirements.

From what I've seen so far they could have made CC a lot better by changing just a few things. Like, making the chalice-lugger move as fast as everyone else, at least when not in combat. Or showing a colored outline of your character if your view of him is obscured by a giant boss that takes up the whole screen. Or not making giant bosses that take up the whole screen and obscure everything.

Also for my tastes they should have more abilities/stats/RPG depth but I can understand them wanting to make it more accessible.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

WFGuy posted:

Also on this subject, it's really weird listening to Bram begging Fedz for a heal (during the Tida Boss Fight, more than once) when he picked up a Cure earlier. You're a Clavat, man! Heal thyself, he's busy!

That aside, really glad to see this. Tida's one of the better atmospheric levels in the game, and that opening really takes the wind out of your sails. It's a pretty bleak setting, really, but the cutesey nature of the artstyle kinda keeps it from being oppressive.

And then you fight a teapot-house, because mood whiplash is glorious. Seriously, what even is Armstrong.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bikindok posted:

And then you fight a teapot-house, because mood whiplash is glorious. Seriously, what even is Armstrong.

A beloved series staple, that's what. :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't know what's more fitting. The fact that Saphy died after she picked up the only pheonix down, or the fact that all of you died and doomed your village to become like the place you died in.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Fedule posted:

[Eternal Oath] Theme of Tida Village. Not very sunny at all. :smith:

Eternal Oath has kind of a different feel to the rest of the soundtrack which highlights Tida's... unique qualities.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

AweStriker posted:

Eternal Oath has kind of a different feel to the rest of the soundtrack which highlights Tida's... unique qualities.

Oh Tida. Every time I talk about this game, this dungeon comes up. All of the other locations are beautiful or mysterious. There is nothing beautiful here, it's all dead. There is nothing mysterious here, you know exactly what happened. And that's what makes it terrifying and stick in everyone's mind years later.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Put simply, Tida Village is a stark example of what a game over means to every character in the game, and that's what makes it so goddamn interesting.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Tida Village is a great sudden mood setter. It helps it's the most likely dungeon to be your 6th and to cap off the 2nd year (unless you skip dungeons by changing the chalice and quitting).

Maintaing the balance between the importance of your quest and cute light hearted shenanigans is something this game does pretty well with the narrations and dungeons and sidequests.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Fedule posted:

God I know :(

Our disorganisation stems from the fact that we're all at completely different levels of skill/knowledge re: this game, so our style just kinda flows out of what things are the easiest to do for people who don't have to be thinking so much all the time (Cancer hates thinking so he hits things with a stick, etc). I don't mind being the healer because I'm the best suited for it.

I am certain we will improve, individually and as a team, over time.

Ah that unorganised mess is what's fun about playing with friends who are new to something. Also makes for an entertaining video.

I didn't really get the intro line "It is said that not a single one of them tried to escape". I mean if they try to escape they'll just die from the miasma so really they just have to wait.

As cute as this world looks it's really hosed up.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Ah, Tida. A constant reminder that yes, you ARE in a post apocalyptic world. The Miasma HAS taken towns. It's a grim reminder that things can go horribly wrong, which is why I like it so much.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Golden Goat posted:

Ah that unorganised mess is what's fun about playing with friends who are new to something. Also makes for an entertaining video.

I didn't really get the intro line "It is said that not a single one of them tried to escape". I mean if they try to escape they'll just die from the miasma so really they just have to wait.

They could have totally escaped if they tried -- they'd just need to send a message to a nearby town with an SOS, have them bring a caravan to Tida and have the miasma immune caravan walk the people to a crystal protected town. There's still trade and even highwaymen around--mini crystals don't seem to be in short supply.

How DO the bandits survive out of town? They must have a portable crystal -- do they charge it at myrrh trees too?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

AweStriker posted:

If my copy of the OST is right, that may be because it's the only track not composed by Kumi Tanoka (Hidenori Iwasaki composed Eternal Oath instead).

I'm loving this LP so far. I never got very far into this when I was a kid, and I didn't have many opportunities to play it multiplayer like it was clearly intended to be played.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Sessile posted:

The missing Cure magicite, at 19:16

...directly opposite of the Life you got. :v:

I completely missed the emojis here until Saphy pointed them out to me.

Yep, looks like you got our numbers alright.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

the caravan crystals are presumably broken off from the big town crystals and there's no reason they couldn't have just packed it up, but the tragedy is that they never gave up hope

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Armstrong is one of my all-time favourite enemy designs in this series. I always appreciate seeing them when they're in a game. Which I guess is just this one and IX. Hell House is cool too. I like that this game finally found somewhere natural seeming for them to live.

Also I like that last dungeon you had Life but no Cure, and this one you had Cure but no Life. I'll be rooting for you finding some of those magic rings though.

fake edit:, ha, was looking up how often Armstrong appears in the series and came across this.

quote:

The "secrets" section of Final Fantasy IX Ultimania explains that the legs at the bottom of the Armstrong are cat's legs and that there are four cats holding it up
I wish the CC version kept that.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Silegna posted:

Lost Kingdoms. I want more.

Oh look, the only other person I've ever seen on the internet who's heard of Lost Kingdoms. Those games were great, I'd love to see how the mechanics could be evolved on modern hardware.

I played through the entirety of this game with my older brother as a clavat and selkie respectively, and all these years later I'm still salty about how lame the attack animation for the clavat ultimate weapon is (and a certain god drat MOTHERFUCKING swamp level that will remain nameless).

Still, takes me back... :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Looper posted:

the caravan crystals are presumably broken off from the big town crystals and there's no reason they couldn't have just packed it up, but the tragedy is that they never gave up hope

I doubt taking a piece of the withering crystal though would last very long though. Like if figure your caravan's piece can keep going cause you're constantly collecting myrrh.

I'm just being weird about this. You're right that the main tragedy is that they never gave up hope on their Caravan that was almost certainly made up of their children. :smith:

• Locked thread