Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Androc posted:

Oh look, the only other person I've ever seen on the internet who's heard of Lost Kingdoms. Those games were great, I'd love to see how the mechanics could be evolved on modern hardware.

I played through the entirety of this game with my older brother as a clavat and selkie respectively, and all these years later I'm still salty about how lame the attack animation for the clavat ultimate weapon is (and a certain god drat MOTHERFUCKING swamp level that will remain nameless).

Still, takes me back... :unsmith:

Lost Kingdoms was amazing. Loved the LP that was done way back when on here.
Swamp Level...Swamp Level...uh, OH GOD NO. Also, I always played Selkie and my Little Brother played Lilty. He was REALLY pissed when they removed the spears in Ring of Fates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Crystal Chronicles has the single cutest moogles to ever exist.

I just want to hug each and every one of them.

They look like giant cotton balls.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

There's a diary entry you can get, too. It reads:

quote:

Today I learned of the terrible Armstrong. This monster inherited its name from a family that once lived in Tida.The village's people died waiting for their caravan's return, but their grief lingered behind. When at last the caravan came, its members were warmly greeted into their former home and never left it alive.

So yeah, Tida's caravan didn't wipe, they just took their sweet rear end time getting back. Then they wiped to the same boss our LPers just did.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Vil posted:

There's a diary entry you can get, too. It reads:

So yeah, Tida's caravan didn't wipe, they just took their sweet rear end time getting back. Then they wiped to the same boss our LPers just did.

No, in a huge twist, Fedz and crew were Tida's caravan. They were tricked by the "people" of Geoffry into thinking that they come from there. Isn't it a handy dandy coincidence that the residents of the town are either the 2 elders or direct family members of the party (and I guess the musicians, but can you find them midyear)? Not even any grandparents!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also kind of a weird detail, the default name of your hometown is Tipa, which is obviously pretty dang similar to Tida, but you're encouraged to name it whatever you want so that additional connection is lost

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The tragic demise of Jeffrey Village will stand forever as a grim reminder of what's at stake.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I remember getting to the very end of this game, losing because of the gimmick at the final boss, and not having enough of that "resource" to go again and succeeding without grinding it. We only had two players though.

It really sucks being the second player holding the chalice.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

It really sucks being the second player holding the chalice.

I feel like 2 person teams should get a chalice moogle like single players do.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Moschet Manor was always my favorite level; mostly for the music, but the alternative design sensibility of the level was cool too.

I mainly played selkie but what got me about them wasn't just that they went so hard on the theft thing, it's that sometimes they'd bitch about how racist all the other races were against them for the theft thing, then remind each other to steal everything and the nails too, in the same breath.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

I feel like 2 person teams should get a chalice moogle like single players do.

I'm still sorta unsure if I wanna get the stuff to play this if it's gonna be a drag playing two player.

Cancer Cowboy
Jul 20, 2011

Locks: 50G each
Report: 50,000G
Izuka Hit: 3,000G
(I don't like that guy)
Not being Sothe: Priceless.
Ehhhh I don't know if 2 players would be so bad, whenever I am on chalice duty and poo poo goes down I chuck the motherfucker and get to work stabbing. But if you are jones-ing for mindless multiplayer with a friend there is always Diablo and you can shoot a lot more lasers in Diablo

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

This LP really makes me want to hunt down 4 GBAs and Link Cables across multiple game-xchanges.

I freaking loved this game back in the day, when I could get friends together enough to play, but typically they'd all rather play Smash Bros.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I love watching you guys play this game and panic when things start going wrong.

Wish they would release a PC port with online play.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh hey, a Crystal Chronicles LP.
I only ever played this game single player because the whole multiplayer technical fuckery was a big hurdle, but I've still got some really fond memories of this game. I especially love the whole tribal kind of soundtrack it has. Also you get to shave and paint a moogle

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

I love watching you guys play this game and panic when things start going wrong.

Wish they would release a PC port with online play.

The 3DS would be perfect for it too.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Silegna posted:

The 3DS would be perfect for it too.

Or as a wii u/ no download game with 3ds download play. Or both, with the 3Ds version letting you play your characters on or exchange them with the console version using your 3ds as a controller.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Hey! This game! I always loved this game and have so much good memories of playing it with my best friend back then. The soundtrack is marvelous (and I use it still for pnp RPGs to this day), and the dungeons are just that evocative. It'd be a pretty nice game to redo with modern tech, such as maybe more variation in dungeons as years go by (and making everything else ages as well, such as yourt family). Definitely gonna be checking this LP.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I haven't been slacking, I've been recording! We've got a whole bunch of footage. For example, this :siren:Update!:siren:

Year 3 Part 1: The Sound of the Word "Sluice", in which we get our sidequesting back on track but Bram is slowly dying IRL.

This video also features me slowly learning how to manage cuts mid-episode, occasionally creating wild non-sequiturs.

Lovely music featured in this video:

[Promised Grace] Theme of Veo Lu Sluice. Besides its liveliness, I also like how this track goes through three full verses and choruses before looping. This soundtrack is not stingy. It's also a real shame the official OST doesn't come with the low-key lead-ins you get in-game; the percussion track here is quite pleasant on its own.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 9, 2016

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

managed to find a copy of FFCC at my local game xchange, only $10.

Another store a bit further away has the link cables i need, $5 each.

Then I just have to get some GBAs. Friends may already have one or two, mine is lost through various moves. But I will play this again soon!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I call your attention to the Examine prompts at 31:05. Moogle Hole spotted.

And for Golem lore, the Golem of Prague was brought to life by inscribing Truth -- alef-mem-tav, "emet" -- and was killed by erasing the alef, changing it to Dead. It ties into Kabbalah, basically an idea that words have power, and changing the words can change the object they describe (and then Kabbalistic mysticism goes on into a bunch of cult "unlocking the universe, forbidden knowledge" stuff, but the base of it is manipulating words and numbers and their relationship). You see that idea a lot in other places like alchemy, I'm not sure if there's one source that influences the rest or if it sprung up in multiple places and they all took inspiration from each other.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 9, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

You actually probably had enough magicite to cast Hastega, which takes Life and three Cures to cast.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

akkristor posted:

managed to find a copy of FFCC at my local game xchange, only $10.

Another store a bit further away has the link cables i need, $5 each.

Then I just have to get some GBAs. Friends may already have one or two, mine is lost through various moves. But I will play this again soon!

Sadly, even though I have the game, I only have my brother to play with, despite having 4 GBA SPs, and 4 Cables.
On a side note, your Avatar gave me a bit of a PTSD Attack when I recognized who it was.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is one of the rare levels I remember very clearly (along with the mansion level). Probably because it's where I learned the word "sluice".

I'm surprised this LP still hasn't reached the boss I remember getting stuck on. I didn't think we'd played this long.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Silegna posted:

Sadly, even though I have the game, I only have my brother to play with, despite having 4 GBA SPs, and 4 Cables.
On a side note, your Avatar gave me a bit of a PTSD Attack when I recognized who it was.

Well, i now have the game, 3 GBA SPs, a GBA, and 4 link cables. Ready to play once I find my Wii's power supply, and have time to head over to friends house and wait till the kids go down.

RE Side Note: :D

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:siren:Update!:siren:

Year 3 Part 2: Hurdy Gurdy Man, in which we read up on terrible poetry, worldly lore and Yukish wisdom.

We also attempt our first cycle 2 dungeon and I get to figure out how to cut up the video so we don't walk you all through the entire dungeon again. I think this approach is working! It's how we're going to keep the last several videos from being unbearably long. In Year 5 we're going to attempt a certain dungeon for the first time and that's probably going to be the single longest video in this entire LP. I'm dreading it.

Lovely music featured:

[Amidatti and Eleonor Too] Please excuse the unlocalised spellings in the title there. Anyway, the theme of Shella. Chill, contemplative and three beats per bar. Very Yukish. Incidentally, Amidatty is the lead guy in the Shella Caravan who sells us bestiary entries for 10 gil, and Eleanor is the lady in Shella who lectures us about the meteor. They're, like, married or something.

Obligatory:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I loved Amidatty's arc as you keep meeting him through the years. He's such a goofy dude, he's like the Final Fantasy version of Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you've brought fire emblem localization chat upon yourselves

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
That seems pretty drat frustrating if the Miasma streams change elements to a combination that makes it impossible to freely move around the world map during one year. At least you can repeat dungeons to advance time if that happens, I guess.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

SWMadness posted:

That seems pretty drat frustrating if the Miasma streams change elements to a combination that makes it impossible to freely move around the world map during one year. At least you can repeat dungeons to advance time if that happens, I guess.

The Geoffry region (which unfortunately is called the Tipa Peninsula on the world map regardless of name) has all four elements so you'll never be stuck there

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
every region has carefully placed dungeons such that you can get every element in every region (except some regions where you can't get some elements to avoid locking yourself out). Without going into spoilers, the ferry becomes very important for managing the element in the middle-regions of the map.

Also the miasma streams are on a 4-year cycle so all of this is carefully scripted along with gradual world unlocks to make sure you can go someplace new each year.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

When do you unlock Alexander and use his vacuum function to rid the world of miasma?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Man, if only summons were actually a thing in this game...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thank you for reminding me that I still haven't played more than a few missions of FE: Awakening since buying it over a year and a half ago. I so desperately want to like those games but I just can't get hooked by them.

Also holy poo poo I had no idea Yukes could do that :stare:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:siren:Update!:siren:

Year 3 Part 3: Damon's Court, in which it slowly becomes apparent that a crowning feature of the game might not be available in multiplayer.

We also confront our one true nemesis; stairs.

Lovely music:

[A Gentle Wind Blows] Theme of Fum. Very provincial. But also utterly welcoming. Totally Clavat.

[Goblin's Lair] Theme of Daemon's Court. Arguably a misnomer, since Daemon's Court is full of lizardmen, not goblins. Definitely a military march-y thing going on here, huh? Totally lizardmen.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Those moments at the stairs were works of art.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
It is a shame nobody warned you about stairs.

Anyway, this is where my memory of the game starts to get fuzzy. I remember this dungeon, and like two others, but after that, nothing at all until the very end of the game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Watching you all try to head somewhere is amazing. It's like herding cats.

And it's such a joy to witness.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
It'd be cool if you did a short bonus video at some point to show off the stuff that's different with single player.

By which I mean we need a video of you guys painting Mog.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
In the Year 3 Part 2 video, you talk about there being basically 2 sidequests, but was that including (late game spoiler) the Carbuncle stuff in Mag Mell when you visit it multiple years for new dialogue?. Wanted to make sure cause it was a detail of the game that I remember fondly and thought was really neat even if it was a bit tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This game toes a very fine line between "sidequest" and "nifty optional thing" sometimes. The thing you mention I classify as the latter (we will be showing it off though).

I actually misremembered in the video; there are three things in the game that I will class as capital S Sidequests by virtue of game-mechanical engagement; The Princess thing we are already chasing down, whatever it is De Nam's up to, and another thing involving Tida that we'll stumble across a bit later. Beyond that, though, there is a lot of nifty dialogue to find, both in the sense of random world building and stuff like the one abandoned child in Marr's Pass, and there are a few little arcs that play out in mail.

• Locked thread