Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One of the neat things about this game is that the story really plays out through the side characters and bits of lore and flavor dialogue you come across along the way, rather than the usual linear JRPG storytelling. It makes for a straightforward plot that works for a multiplayer game since there aren't many long cutscenes (a disaster for multiplayer games, as players of early A Realm Reborn content will know all too well) but the world still evolves and is genuinely engaging if you pay a bit of attention.

Shame that all of the concessions to make it work with crappy GBA Link technology hold the game back a lot. I love this game's entire aesthetic and it would be great to see a revival of the concept on a new Nintendo console with much less obtuse couch multiplayer.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
FF:CC screams for a modern spiritual sequel. gently caress, one probably exists already but languishes in obscurity.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fedule posted:

FF:CC screams for a modern spiritual sequel. gently caress, one probably exists already but languishes in obscurity.

This and Pokemon Snap were two games I never understood not appearing on the Wii U, it seems tailor made for it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
To sort of answer an odd question that came up during the recent videos:

The maximum amount of diary entries is 256, after which the game just stops producing new ones (compare the year). Based on this, I suspect the amount of per-character memories caps at either 255 or also 256, but I don't actually know, since if I recall correctly not getting diary entries also prevents getting new per-character memories. It's definitely over 99, at the very least.

The thing you were searching for in the Fields of Fum is here. It only shows up randomly, if it's not there exit and reenter the town.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yo sorry this is a little late, i've been listening to this soundtrack for days now and just happened to fall on this redone track for Promised Grace from Crystal Bearers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCJtzG7ArM

It's fantastic.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Yeah, Crystal Bearers has a two amazing remixes of my two favourite tracks from this game, and that was one of them. Second one plays during the ending though, so be careful with the recommended videos.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
gently caress, I remember playing this game with my brothers. It was fun, but playing multiplayer got real hard once you encountered enemies and bosses that required you to mix magic. I don't think we ever got past year 2 in a multiplayer game cause of how necessary good spell coordination can be. Especially loving Holy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Desfore posted:

gently caress, I remember playing this game with my brothers. It was fun, but playing multiplayer got real hard once you encountered enemies and bosses that required you to mix magic. I don't think we ever got past year 2 in a multiplayer game cause of how necessary good spell coordination can be. Especially loving Holy.

The necessity of spell fusion is indeed a fucker. Fortunately Bram and I have developed a knack for it. These days we sometimes manage to do it without communicating. Clunky a mechanic as it is, is sure feels awesome to master.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Man, FF:CC is probably one of my favorite FF games just from a lot of the concepts. I ended up doing most of the game on Single Player, due to lack of consistent times with friends, so I never got to do full 4-person co-op, only had at most three.

God that was a mistake.

Protip: If you have someone in your circle of people you hang out with, who has a history of trying to screw everyone over in any type of game because he thinks its funny (like, say, screaming during Donkey Konga to set off the audio sensors in everyone's drums, screwing over their combos), don't play this or Four Swords with them.

I nearly strangled someone to death with the GC/GBA link cable. He kept forcing his way into getting the chalice, then waiting for us to get distracted, then run off, forcing us to chase him to stay in the bubble, or die, while getting smacked by enemies, and dying. Then when we tell him to knock it off, he goes 'What are you guys getting so mad about? It's funny!' :fuckoff: But then, he was the sort of guy to literally laugh at someone for being sad their mother was dead. So. Yeah.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Augus posted:

It makes for a straightforward plot that works for a multiplayer game since there aren't many long cutscenes (a disaster for multiplayer games, as players of early A Realm Reborn content will know all too well) but the world still evolves and is genuinely engaging if you pay a bit of attention.
Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium. loving hell. I just wanted to see the story, but no! Speed run speed run. Yeah, cutscenes are killers of multiplayer.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:siren:Update!:siren:

Year 4 Part 1: Selepate Good Times, in which we, uh, expand our vocabulary I guess?

Seriously, where did they pull that name from? It doesn't seem to ever be used as a proper noun (though then again, neither was Cathuriges so eh) and it sure as poo poo doesn't mean anything. It seems to be a straight romanization of the Japanese title セレパティオン洞窟, maybe that means something?

Lovely music:

[Voice of Wind, Song of Time] Theme of Selepation Cave. Not very much to it but it definitely has a bit of a bittersweet vibe.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Crystal Chronicles: a delightful game with some terrible, terrible game design choices. The artefact pot luck is one of the worst offenders, in my opinion. Did you all start keeping track of your collective upgrades on paper after this, or was that too much effort for something that probably doesn't deserve it?

Actually, now that I think about it, this is probably one of the first games that "At least it's pretty" was super accurate and a common defence.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WFGuy posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, this is probably one of the first games that "At least it's pretty" was super accurate and a common defence.

That is far from accurate, it's been a thing since the SNES era at the very least.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule posted:

Seriously, where did they pull that name from? It doesn't seem to ever be used as a proper noun (though then again, neither was Cathuriges so eh) and it sure as poo poo doesn't mean anything. It seems to be a straight romanization of the Japanese title セレパティオン洞窟, maybe that means something?

I did what I almost always do these days when I have a question like this, and asked orenronen, whose response was :shrug: (paraphrased).

I guess "Selepation Cave" is just the name of a place, like the Mine of Cathuriges or Veo Lu Sluice. It's kinda almost fascinating, I think, that those other places immediately trip the brains "this is the name of a place" alarm while Selepation Cave trips the "this is a descriptive... right?" switch. It's the "-ation" suffix, really; It sounds like it's the noun form of a process.

There are a bunch of made up place names in the game, of course, and lots of them work even absent any context (example of context; the area around Shella is called Veo Lu, and you can find Veo Lu Sluice there), like the mine. Selepation Cave is not such a place.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Fedule posted:

I did what I almost always do these days when I have a question like this, and asked orenronen, whose response was :shrug: (paraphrased).

I guess "Selepation Cave" is just the name of a place, like the Mine of Cathuriges or Veo Lu Sluice. It's kinda almost fascinating, I think, that those other places immediately trip the brains "this is the name of a place" alarm while Selepation Cave trips the "this is a descriptive... right?" switch. It's the "-ation" suffix, really; It sounds like it's the noun form of a process.

There are a bunch of made up place names in the game, of course, and lots of them work even absent any context (example of context; the area around Shella is called Veo Lu, and you can find Veo Lu Sluice there), like the mine. Selepation Cave is not such a place.

Selepation is the act of selapating, obviously. Educate yourself.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Re: Hurdy and Gurdy, the hurdy-gurdy is an instrument that's basically the ungodly lovechild of a bagpipe and a violin. You turn a crank that drags a wheel across some drone strings, and it's got a keyboard for to get actual notes and chords. It survives today mainly on the fact that the name sounds funny; like the bagpipe, it's possible to play it well, but not many people actually do.

I don't know what the pun was in Japanese but I imagine it was equally irrelevant.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fedule posted:

Maybe it's me being a filthy northerner, but I never parsed it as a descriptive, and it gets read as "Cellar-Pat-Eon" to me. Helps it sound more like a place name.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

Selepation is the act of selapating, obviously. Educate yourself.

I selepate. You selepate. He/she selepates. Selepation. We'll have three selepates. Selepaterama. selepatelogy; the study of selepate. It's first grade stuff man.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Augus posted:

That is far from accurate, it's been a thing since the SNES era at the very least.

Oh, I know people have said it since forever, but they were always bullshitting because nothing had enough polygons, texture memory or shaders to do more than suggest the core concept of a thing, prior to about '98 or so. I think FF:CC is one of the first time's it's been true. (Similarly, there were some genuinely pretty games prior to the release of FF:CC, but generally they were made by boundary-pushing developers who also had an excellent game behind the graphics.)

Also, bear in mind that there was a little bit of hyperbole in that statement.

Re: selepation, Google decided I needed an old Anglo-Saxon dictionary Ælepate, which is apparently 'eelpout', a fish. Unrelated, since it's a typo, but hey, it's still a learning experience. Still a better result than Bing, which just threw its hands up in the air and gave me a single result of an STD News site for no apparent reason.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

WFGuy posted:

Still a better result than Bing, which just threw its hands up in the air and gave me a single result of an STD News site for no apparent reason.

That's Bing's result for everything.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:siren:Update!:siren:

Year 4 Part 2: It Burns, Etc, in which we can't throw a thing in a hole but we do find an excellent treasure.

For real, what is the deal with throwing those things in those holes? We can't figure it out. Can someone remind us before we record Cycle 3 of this place (which will be tomorrow)? Also, in retrospect I realize that chasing the goblins down might be a bit of a lost cause in multiplayer since you basically have to run at full speed to catch them. We may try something tomorrow though.

Oh and we get some sweet loot.

Lovely music:

[Something Burns in the Heart] Theme of Mt. Kilanda. Bleak and relentless but not altogether unpleasant, I think. That bass drone makes the piece.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Fedule posted:

For real, what is the deal with throwing those things in those holes? We can't figure it out. Can someone remind us before we record Cycle 3 of this place (which will be tomorrow)? Also, in retrospect I realize that chasing the goblins down might be a bit of a lost cause in multiplayer since you basically have to run at full speed to catch them. We may try something tomorrow though.

Some places make you do that so you can get further ahead. Except I think the game is also scripted to just raise those areas up after a while in case you never did it? I did my Cycle 1 not too long ago and had similar luck, but I couldn't even get past the first area because all the pots broke for my Cycle 2.

EDIT: Actually watching the video now, at 13-minutes ish, you couldn't throw the pot in the thing because the platform was already raised. This game's pretty terrible about telling you if you need to throw a pot in one of those.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 29, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Some places make you do that so you can get further ahead. Except I think the game is also scripted to just raise those areas up after a while in case you never did it? I did my Cycle 1 not too long ago and had similar luck, but I couldn't even get past the first area because all the pots broke for my Cycle 2.

You definitely don't need to get them to progress - reasonably sure it's just treasure - but what's getting us is that it never seems to work and I have no idea how you're supposed to line up the throw to sink the drat things.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
here, let me just post a page from the strategy guide:

first one is required (and sometimes "solves" itself), second one you can completely ignore.

EDIT: This one's actually better, tells you where pots and where they need to go are

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 29, 2016

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

According to the strategy guide, Kilanda Sulfur also only sometimes shows up in the chest (in all cycles, but it's very rare in 1 and 2).

Which is kind of bullshit.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I forget, do I still have my copy of that strategy guide? Mostly I'm remembering there was a spell fusion timing chart towards the back that would have been great if I could ever actually get a party of more than two together (and usually not even then).

It's almost absurd that there are five different timing schemes for those (if I remember, Firaga, Thundaga, and Blizzaga are all Type D, and Haste was Type E?)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AweStriker posted:

I forget, do I still have my copy of that strategy guide? Mostly I'm remembering there was a spell fusion timing chart towards the back that would have been great if I could ever actually get a party of more than two together (and usually not even then).

It's almost absurd that there are five different timing schemes for those (if I remember, Firaga, Thundaga, and Blizzaga are all Type D, and Haste was Type E?)

I remember that spell fusions made up of different spells (as in, not two of the same spell) would make different results if combined in another order. That MIGHT have just been for single player, though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You had the right idea, the game's just finicky about the position. I think it also doesn't work if the platform it's supposed to raise is already up for whatever reason.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FluidPhonyJumpingbean.webm

https://zippy.gfycat.com/EnviousMediocreHartebeest.webm

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You had the right idea, the game's just finicky about the position. I think it also doesn't work if the platform it's supposed to raise is already up for whatever reason.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FluidPhonyJumpingbean.webm

https://zippy.gfycat.com/EnviousMediocreHartebeest.webm

Looks like you gotta be pressing right up against the edge and perfectly aligned according to the facing of your character. What fun.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I remember that spell fusions made up of different spells (as in, not two of the same spell) would make different results if combined in another order. That MIGHT have just been for single player, though.

Yeah, single player spell fusion is simpler though still different. You just line up Life and Fire to get Holy. Or you line up Fire and Life to get Slow. The multiplayer equivalent is; if you cast Life then Fire you get Slow, but if you cast Life and Fire at the same time you get Holy. Or how if you cast Fire and Fire at the same time you get Fira, but if you cast Fire then Fire you get Firaga. Or if you cast Fire and Blizzard at the same time you get Gravity but if you cast Fire then Blizzard, gently caress you you get nothing. Gravity and Holy are pains because they're basically mandatory against certain enemies but are very fiddly to cast in the heat of the moment, unlike Firaga, which is a lot more forgiving.

The system is still opaque as gently caress in multiplayer though, and could really, really have done with some better visual cues and an in-game reference. The one concession you get is that when two circles overlap and one person casts, it'll delay their casting until the second person casts too.

I love this game to bits, but those flaws though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fedule posted:

Yeah, single player spell fusion is simpler though still different. You just line up Life and Fire to get Holy. Or you line up Fire and Life to get Slow. The multiplayer equivalent is; if you cast Life then Fire you get Slow, but if you cast Life and Fire at the same time you get Holy. Or how if you cast Fire and Fire at the same time you get Fira, but if you cast Fire then Fire you get Firaga. Or if you cast Fire and Blizzard at the same time you get Gravity but if you cast Fire then Blizzard, gently caress you you get nothing. Gravity and Holy are pains because they're basically mandatory against certain enemies but are very fiddly to cast in the heat of the moment, unlike Firaga, which is a lot more forgiving.

The system is still opaque as gently caress in multiplayer though, and could really, really have done with some better visual cues and an in-game reference. The one concession you get is that when two circles overlap and one person casts, it'll delay their casting until the second person casts too.

I love this game to bits, but those flaws though.

I honestly don't see why they didn't enable single player spell combination in multiplayer. I mean yes it would sort of diminish the importance of spell fusion, but you'd still be able to get -ga level spells with only two magicites, and things like Curaga are multiplayer exclusive anyway. Plus it would make other combo spells easier to get.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

G'drat Gurdy. In my head canon, there was only one option (including extra disdain).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Sessile posted:

G'drat Gurdy. In my head canon, there was only one option (including extra disdain).

Yeeeeep.

With this I declare the Fanart Gallery existent.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I honestly don't see why they didn't enable single player spell combination in multiplayer. I mean yes it would sort of diminish the importance of spell fusion, but you'd still be able to get -ga level spells with only two magicites

That takes three of a kind in singleplayer.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AweStriker posted:

That takes three of a kind in singleplayer.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. If you enabled single player style spell fusion in multiplayer, you could solo case Firaga with 3 Fires, or dual-cast it with a friend using only 2, like Fedz and Bram do. It'd add a little more versatility (being able to solo Gravity would be a huge help) but there'd still be a point to spell fusing with your friends.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Eh, imagine Fedule set up with Holy once people start dying. Not to say single player spell fusion wouldn't be useful but I can see why they didn't. Limited magicite drops in dungeons is also a reason, I wouldn't make Holy if you only had one Life.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

pichupal posted:

Eh, imagine Fedule set up with Holy once people start dying. Not to say single player spell fusion wouldn't be useful but I can see why they didn't. Limited magicite drops in dungeons is also a reason, I wouldn't make Holy if you only had one Life.

please dont force your buddhist theology on the rest of us

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

pichupal posted:

Well, you could link and unlink the compound spell at will, it's just that in multiplayer that would take time.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Fedule posted:

With this I declare the Fanart Gallery existent.

I'm honored to have my shitposting immortalized, even if I forgot to finish fixing that hand so it actually looks like it's flippin' the bird.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Sessile posted:

I agree that that should have been the other choice. I do not agree that he should have chosen it :colbert:

Kicking conmen into the miasma? That's some cold poo poo bro. What would Mail Moogle say about that? Mail Moogle is my favorite character and also my role model :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
The pot of water has the same homing the crescent shaped keys have when the holes are able to be activated, actually. You can see the water pot slide into position before it 'evaporates' in the Admiral Curtiss's second video.
:goonsay:

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 30, 2016

• Locked thread