Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Delta looks awesome, not bad!

Srice said it was not good, and I trust Srice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh duh yeah I'll watch Macross, even though what I've seen of it so far hasn't thrilled me. If I can make it through Macross 7 I'm sure as hell won't skip Delta from just that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Space Flower posted:

I don't see Sansha Sanyou or either Silver Link show on your list. Pot, meet kettle!

I got the important ones (FW & KM). Though yeah, I'll probably check those out too.

I... I don't know if I need this much SoL in one season.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Srice said it was not good, and I trust Srice.

It seems squarely aimed at the Symphogear crowd.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, this season is full of stuff I've been reading so I'll at least be watching those. I'll probably have a ton of leftovers from winter too because I've done a very poor job of staying current.

I've been reading all these so I'm definitely watching unless they totally suck somehow:
Bungou Stray Dogs
Flying Witch
My Hero Academia
Super Lovers
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge

Checking out:
Boy Maid - I read the first chapter just now out of curiosity, looks cute
Joker Game - full of good looking dudes in suits, but I don't really like military/ww2 stuff so I'm not sure how much I'll get into this
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - looks badass but may wait til it finishes and watch it after the season's over
Mayoiga - probably going to wait on this one to finish as well
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - will probably be a fun show but I anticipate watching a few episodes and not ever finishing it
Sakamoto desu ga? - I read a few chapters of the manga and they were funny but after the novelty of the gimmick wore off I got bored with it and dropped it so I'll probably do the same with the show

That's way too much :cripes:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Stickied.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

oh my god, please rename this thread to "Spring Season 2016: Requiem for a DEEN"
Done. Don't!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going to watch Jojo's, and the Wanda show about the digital dog.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Stickied.
Done.
Don't!

Awesome! Thanks!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there are too many adaptations of good stuff this season. i wanna watch: Bakuon, Bungou Stray Dogs, Concrete Revolutio s2, Flying Witch, Kuma Miko, JoJo s4, Joker Game, Kabaneri, Kiznaiver, Kuromukuro, Mayoiga, Hero Academia, Pan de Peace, Phoenix Wright, Sakamoto desu ga, Super Lovers, Tanaka-kun, Tonkatsu Dj Agetaro

will prob give these a try: Anne Happy, Big Order, Boy Maid, Endride, Hai Furi, Sansha Sanyou, Sword Gai

shorts: Bonobono, Kagewani s2, Neko Nihonshi, Luluco, Usakame, Young Ashibe

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Requiem for a DEEN, haha

Gonna watch ace attorney, bakuon, and jojo for starters

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

FLYING WITCH

what the hell, graybook

I literally don't know much about it, but I trust you, friend, and so I add it to my list

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Looks like a really good season

Looking forward to:
Jojo
Ace Attorney
Iron Fortress

Also, I'll probably give Kiznaiver a shot

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Tanaka-kun is a really drat good manga and I'm really excited for it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DoubleDonut posted:

Tanaka-kun is a really drat good manga and I'm really excited for it

I'm surprised it's full length though, I really figured it would end up being a short.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

I thought the early preview episode was a lot of fun and am looking forward to the series proper.

Same

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There's a preview for the 2016 Anime Tamago (formerly Anime Mirai) shorts. They're scheduled to air March-May, and maybe if we're lucky somebody will sub some/all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6xYrSfAlU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

pretty loaded season. i will be watching: bakuon, flying witch, mayoiga, and pwaa. i'll watch jojos, too, eventually.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hmm, so, definitely going to check out 12-sai, Bakuon, Boy Maid, Flying Witch, Kuma Miko, Kabaneri, Pan de Peace, Tonkatsu DJ, Neko Nihonshi and Young Ashibe plus a couple of the other big shows

Geez that's going to be a big week of anime... Oh! and going to watch that Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko short that's airing in a few days

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kiznaiver looks like it'll be Okada going for tuned-up-to-eleven, brick-through-the-windshield melodrama. It's been working pretty well in IBO largely because of how heightened and archetypal mecha anime is, with every metaphor writ eighteen metres tall and clad in nanolaminate armour. Here's hoping she can make it work in what looks like a slightly more grounded setting - it's be cool if it does, but I admit I have a couple of concerns.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
SoL is my favourite kind of anime so I hope these animes will be good

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If the Ace Attorney anime does not use the Ace Attorney music for some reason, I will never forgive it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm kind of hesitant about the Ace Attorney anime. From what I hear, much of the games' appeal comes from the extensive, detailed localisation they got. Is the original as much fun?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The original Ace Attorney as envisioned and realized in Japan was a dry courtroom drama with no personality or jokes whatsoever.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Except not.

Why would you think that?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think a fair concern however is that many of ace attorney's jokes wouldn't translate well to an anime as they come from your items and incessantly presenting them to everyone and i doubt the show will have nick present his badge to everyone and check out his plant 60 times

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, whether it translates well from its original medium to another one's a valid concern, but it seems a bit silly to suggest a Samurai Pizza Cats situation.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Davincie posted:

i think a fair concern however is that many of ace attorney's jokes wouldn't translate well to an anime as they come from your items and incessantly presenting them to everyone and i doubt the show will have nick present his badge to everyone and check out his plant 60 times

A man can dream

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Only show I'm going to watch from the beginning will be Jojo's (yes, it's me. I'm the normie). Then I'll probably check out some other shows from the word of mouth buzz here after a few episodes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, whether it translates well from its original medium to another one's a valid concern, but it seems a bit silly to suggest a Samurai Pizza Cats situation.

I know it's still a goofy comedy-drama. However, the localisation changes do sound quite extensive, and if they went as far as altering characterisation, for instance, the end result may be a noticeably different experience even if it's the same broad story in the same broad genre.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm sure somebody else could break it down further but the vast majority (if not all) of the changes made in localization were swapping out Japanese cultural jokes and references with ones us foreigners would actually understand. A lot of characters names, for instance, were changed because they were puns in Japanese - so they reinvented them as puns in English.

I'm unaware of any significant changes beyond that. The setting itself was crafted into a weird kind of Japanifornia, but most character quirks and plot points remain unchanged.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I know it's still a goofy comedy-drama. However, the localisation changes do sound quite extensive, and if they went as far as altering characterisation, for instance, the end result may be a noticeably different experience even if it's the same broad story in the same broad genre.

I haven't played it before, but I've heard enough to know that whether the localization changes make it better is disputed at best. And I think I heard they just kind of dropped them later on when they couldn't get away with keeping them up anyway.

Now I'm off to play it to prepare for the anime!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm sure somebody else could break it down further but the vast majority (if not all) of the changes made in localization were swapping out Japanese cultural jokes and references with ones us foreigners would actually understand. A lot of characters names, for instance, were changed because they were puns in Japanese - so they reinvented them as puns in English.

Then I guess the question is - how much does the comedy lean on that? How many of the jokes are original to the English version? Like, I get that the original still has jokes, I'm just wondering if they're quite as funny and/or easy to get for us ignorant westerners?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Then I guess the question is - how much does the comedy lean on that? How many of the jokes are original to the English version? Like, I get that the original still has jokes, I'm just wondering if they're quite as funny and/or easy to get for us ignorant westerners?

Ace Attorney is certainly in large part about comedy, but that's not chiefly why it works or why people like it, so some jokes not translating well isn't too huge of a problem.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ace attorney is about top tier waifu maya fey

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Eat your cheeseburger, Apollo

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

JordanKai posted:

Good work on the OP as always, Lucy!

I'm really looking forward to this season. I'm interested in more series than I even know what to do with.

-Mayoiga
-My Hero Academia
-Joker Game
-Flying Witch
-Magi: Adventure of Sinbad
-Bakuon
-Bungou Stray Dogs
-JoJo's Part 4
-Concrete Revolutio S2

Sousei no Onmyouji, Beyblade, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and Big Order also look pretty cool, but I'll probably wait until I see some early reactions before I give them a look.

Where am I going to find the time to watch all this anime? :ohdear:

I forgot about the bread anime! I love both bread and slice-of-life stuff, so I'm super excited for Pan de Peace!

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Darth Walrus posted:

Might be a good time to start playing catchup on JoJo, too, given how good the anime's been so far and how hyped Part 4 is.

Do the animes hold up on their own? A major reason I haven't watched any of the JoJos is that I can't really find the time to dedicate to reading through >100 volumes of manga.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

Do the animes hold up on their own? A major reason I haven't watched any of the JoJos is that I can't really find the time to dedicate to reading through >100 volumes of manga.

yes

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

If the Ace Attorney anime does not use the Ace Attorney music for some reason, I will never forgive it.

Or if they use some of the music but not Pursuit ~ Cornered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Namtab posted:

Ace attorney is about top tier waifu maya fey

• Locked thread