Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Command Ant posted:

Aside from Phoenix Wright, I'm going into this season pretty blind. I'm just going to watch whatever this thread tells me to so I can agree with everyone for their approval.

I'll probably watch Boy Maid, too, because the manga was cute and charming enough.

There's been a couple of people saying that now. Is it significantly less creepy than the premise suggests, then? Because 'orphaned elementary-schooler gets adopted by his uncle as a live-in maid (complete with costume)' is tripping all my alarm bells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Darth Walrus posted:

There's been a couple of people saying that now. Is it significantly less creepy than the premise suggests, then? Because 'orphaned elementary-schooler gets adopted by his uncle as a live-in maid (complete with costume)' is tripping all my alarm bells.

Skimming through the manga again, the best comparison I can make is that it's like Ouran Host Club, in that it's very light fujoshi fare. The 'maid' outfit is just normal clothes with a frilly apron and headdress, so it's not like he's running around in a revealing dress or anything. It's all really innocent stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

tripping all my alarm bells.

surprise

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

a sublet in the alarm bell factory was a bad idea, in retrospect

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Command Ant posted:

Skimming through the manga again, the best comparison I can make is that it's like Ouran Host Club, in that it's very light fujoshi fare. The 'maid' outfit is just normal clothes with a frilly apron and headdress, so it's not like he's running around in a revealing dress or anything. It's all really innocent stuff.

I was thinking more that the main pairing seem to be an elementary-schooler and his uncle/adoptive parent/employer. Which is a bit sketchier than Ouran ever went into. I'd be happy to be wrong, but the first chapter (which I had a bit of a look through) does have this kind of uncomfortable predatory vibe.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
weird I read the first chapter too and that's totally not what I took from it

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
poo poo it's almost like you interpret things differently based on your own preconceptions

Weird

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

weird I read the first chapter too and that's totally not what I took from it

It's not super-blatant, but the uncle getting right up in the protagonist's personal space during their first meeting and requiring him to wear a maid outfit for his cleaning job because 'it's cute' doesn't exactly seem like how someone should be behaving to the elementary-schooler they're adopting, especially after reminding them they have nowhere else to go. Maybe it gets less weird, but that wasn't a vibe I was especially keen on.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 1, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The preconception where two people talking means theyre gonna gently caress

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The bedrock of 90% of pairings and fan fiction.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wouldn't trust DarthWalrus wrt anything "creepy"

but yeah i was really glad to see the pv and hear people talk up the manga, because it really seems to be going for adorable SoL more than anything else.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh cool, Wagakki Band is doing the OP for Twin Star Exorcists. I thought Twin Star Exorcists had a decent enough premise for the battle shonen that it is. It's also by the creator of Binbougami-ga so I tend to give it some good will due to that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Allarion posted:

Oh cool, Wagakki Band is doing the OP for Twin Star Exorcists. I thought Twin Star Exorcists had a decent enough premise for the battle shonen that it is. It's also by the creator of Binbougami-ga so I tend to give it some good will due to that.

I'd be more hyped for it, but Pierrot isn't known for quality, and the director and series composer don't have terribly impressive resumes - Tomohisa Taguchi in particular only directed one full series before this, and that was Persona 4: The Golden.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

I intended to just read a chapter or two to see if I might be interested but got hooked on it and read everything translated. I liked the quick pace, and although the characters' motives and backstory went heavy-handed with the tragedy I thought Rokuro's survivor's guilt in particular was pretty wrenching and understandable. Seemed like there was a lot of stuff (characters especially) that kinda came out of nowhere but I could see that somewhat as a consequence of the pace moving along pretty quickly. I dunno that I'll actually watch the whole thing now that I've read a good chunk of it, I may watch a few episodes to see everything in motion then just keep reading it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I intended to just read a chapter or two to see if I might be interested but got hooked on it and read everything translated. I liked the quick pace, and although the characters' motives and backstory went heavy-handed with the tragedy I thought Rokuro's survivor's guilt in particular was pretty wrenching and understandable. Seemed like there was a lot of stuff (characters especially) that kinda came out of nowhere but I could see that somewhat as a consequence of the pace moving along pretty quickly. I dunno that I'll actually watch the whole thing now that I've read a good chunk of it, I may watch a few episodes to see everything in motion then just keep reading it.

whats it about

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

whats it about

Two exorcist kids with special powers end up in an arranged marriage because their future kid is supposed to end the 1000-year war between exorcists and "impurities" i.e. the personification of humanities' collected negative emotions and other bad poo poo. Impurities break into the real world and possess people and generally gently caress stuff up so there's a lot of monster fighting and also the main characters are trying to buck their assigned purpose (they want to get revenge/beat all the monsters/etc. instead of living in safety and eventually making the destiny baby) so they end up having to prove themselves to the exorcist organization so that also results in battles. There's lots of flashy powers and abilities and a fairly large cast that's unfortunately paper-thin for the most part, the usual ambitious protagonist who is cheerful despite having a tragic back story, nobody locks the bathroom door, etc. The guy punches and the girl kicks and they have some combo powers, so the battles are pretty fun.

It reminds me a little bit of Kagamigami and now I'm kinda disappointed that one didn't get an anime instead.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

but Pierrot isn't known for quality

studio doesn't matter

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It reminds me a little bit of Kagamigami and now I'm kinda disappointed that one didn't get an anime instead.

i can't decide whether to read it or wait the month until the anime comes out, but having any point of comparison to Kagamigami is a good sell. for that one i suppose it was doomed the second the tournament arc cut itself short, because all the interesting world/power and character stuff was happening then. instead it sprinted to a lackluster finish that would've at least been okay in a series that had given some depth to more of its cast.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd be more hyped for it, but Pierrot isn't known for quality, and the director and series composer don't have terribly impressive resumes - Tomohisa Taguchi in particular only directed one full series before this, and that was Persona 4: The Golden.

persona 4: the golden was fun

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

pierrot is making osomatsu, idiot

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

pierrot is making osomatsu, idiot

somebody else said it n this thread i think, almost all animation is freelance work now so the studio is just the ones giving out the paychecks

actual quality is way more dependent on the full complement of staff hired and how much time they have to work

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

studio doesn't matter

Name a good Studio ARMS TV show.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Genshiken

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Genshiken.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sabagebu! (Credited as Studio Pierrot+[1])

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Elfen Lied
Genshiken
Genshiken 2
Sabagebu

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Genshiken

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sometimes I suspect that darth walrus does not know a lot about anime

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Sometimes I suspect that darth walrus does not know a lot

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, yeah, missed that one on the list. That's still only one of sixteen shows they've done that's good (Sabagebu had its moments, but wasn't great, and gently caress no Elfen Lied is awful in any form). Having that bad a strike rate (and a very obvious house style that well over half their shows fall into) does imply that studio has some impact.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the new Paramount movie is gonna be awesome, but the new MGM movie looks lame. Who even knows what Fox Studios is thinking these days.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If someone tries to ruin my joke by pointing out the old movie studio system I'm gonna destroy them

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

OK, yeah, missed that one on the list. That's still only one of sixteen shows they've done that's good (Sabagebu had its moments, but wasn't great, and gently caress no Elfen Lied is awful in any form). Having that bad a strike rate (and a very obvious house style that well over half their shows fall into) does imply that studio has some impact.

Actually, you're wrong, and elfen lied and sabagebu are both goodin my opinion

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sabagebu ruled.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Darth Walrus posted:

Darth Walrus posted:

That's still only one
This conversation is now over.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One show I'm curious about is Sakamoto. How does the manga sustain itself after the initial joke of its lead being ridiculously amazing? Does it do so?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Read the manga and find out

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Compendium posted:

Read the manga and find out

Eh, I find it's generally fun to experience a manga with motion and sound the first time around if the option's available, and I don't find much rewatch value in pure comedy shows, so I prefer to choose between manga or anime. This one looks like it's got a good comedy director lined up (Gintama, Cute Earth Defense, and Daily Lives of High School Boys? Big yes), so I'd like to know what kind of source material he's got to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Sabagebu ruled.

• Locked thread