Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, this season is full of stuff I've been reading so I'll at least be watching those. I'll probably have a ton of leftovers from winter too because I've done a very poor job of staying current.

I've been reading all these so I'm definitely watching unless they totally suck somehow:
Bungou Stray Dogs
Flying Witch
My Hero Academia
Super Lovers
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge

Checking out:
Boy Maid - I read the first chapter just now out of curiosity, looks cute
Joker Game - full of good looking dudes in suits, but I don't really like military/ww2 stuff so I'm not sure how much I'll get into this
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - looks badass but may wait til it finishes and watch it after the season's over
Mayoiga - probably going to wait on this one to finish as well
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - will probably be a fun show but I anticipate watching a few episodes and not ever finishing it
Sakamoto desu ga? - I read a few chapters of the manga and they were funny but after the novelty of the gimmick wore off I got bored with it and dropped it so I'll probably do the same with the show

That's way too much :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DoubleDonut posted:

Tanaka-kun is a really drat good manga and I'm really excited for it

I'm surprised it's full length though, I really figured it would end up being a short.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm adding Twin Star Excorcists to my plan to watch list. I started reading the manga and it's pretty fun.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

That's the one by the guy who did Binbou-gami-ga, right?

apparently

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
weird I read the first chapter too and that's totally not what I took from it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

Oh cool, Wagakki Band is doing the OP for Twin Star Exorcists. I thought Twin Star Exorcists had a decent enough premise for the battle shonen that it is. It's also by the creator of Binbougami-ga so I tend to give it some good will due to that.

I intended to just read a chapter or two to see if I might be interested but got hooked on it and read everything translated. I liked the quick pace, and although the characters' motives and backstory went heavy-handed with the tragedy I thought Rokuro's survivor's guilt in particular was pretty wrenching and understandable. Seemed like there was a lot of stuff (characters especially) that kinda came out of nowhere but I could see that somewhat as a consequence of the pace moving along pretty quickly. I dunno that I'll actually watch the whole thing now that I've read a good chunk of it, I may watch a few episodes to see everything in motion then just keep reading it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

whats it about

Two exorcist kids with special powers end up in an arranged marriage because their future kid is supposed to end the 1000-year war between exorcists and "impurities" i.e. the personification of humanities' collected negative emotions and other bad poo poo. Impurities break into the real world and possess people and generally gently caress stuff up so there's a lot of monster fighting and also the main characters are trying to buck their assigned purpose (they want to get revenge/beat all the monsters/etc. instead of living in safety and eventually making the destiny baby) so they end up having to prove themselves to the exorcist organization so that also results in battles. There's lots of flashy powers and abilities and a fairly large cast that's unfortunately paper-thin for the most part, the usual ambitious protagonist who is cheerful despite having a tragic back story, nobody locks the bathroom door, etc. The guy punches and the girl kicks and they have some combo powers, so the battles are pretty fun.

It reminds me a little bit of Kagamigami and now I'm kinda disappointed that one didn't get an anime instead.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some storyline spoilers that I'm not going to spoiler tag because I can't imagine anyone gives a poo poo:

Most of the PV and pretty much all the art I've seen is set during the summer when Haru first meets Ren; at that time they're 17 (Haru) and 8 (Ren). Haru kisses Ren once during this time, being overly affectionate but in a brotherly sense not sexually (I didn't actually care for this scene in the manga, it came across as creepy fanservice to me). This is shown in the PV. They meet again 5 years later after some tragic stuff happens and Haru has completely forgotten that Ren even exists -- Ren comes to Japan to live with Haru for a while. At this time Haru is kind of a piece of poo poo (due to the tragic stuff from before) and is working as a host to put his stepbrothers through school. He reconnects with Ren during this time again only in a brotherly sense and learns how to take care of Ren and himself a little better. Ren goes back to Canada again for a while, Haru visits, they get closer, and then after another brief time-skip Ren's back in Japan to stay with Haru and start high school and at this point things get way more romancy.

Ren has never seen Haru as a brother and has basically always been in love with him, so a lot of the conflict in the early part of the series is around Haru getting over his past stuff, reconnecting with Ren and getting himself in a better place, and then finally re-adjusting his feelings toward Ren from "little brother" to "lover" as Ren starts coming onto him stronger. He's not preying on an 8-year-old at least, but the age gap is pretty big. There's a lot of kissing after Ren moves in for good, all ostensibly just affectionate goodbye kisses on Haru's part (and Ren talks about his love being different from Haru's love at this point) but I can see that also being a red flag. The other thing that's really off-putting on top of the age gap is the way Ren is drawn really young-looking, even once he's in high school. It's used as a recurring issue that he's small, looks young, and is really sensitive about it and makes a big deal about growing bigger but it definitely contributes to this getting branded with the shota tag.

I really like the manga despite that stuff because I think it's a well-written story about a family moving past tragedy and getting closer, and I do think that Ren and Haru are a really sweet couple once they get together. I hate the way the PV and art have played up the more shota-y aspects because that's a completely legit criticism of it but Ren as an 8-year-old is a really small portion of the source material even though it's practically the entirety of the PV and is what's being shown in the art.

e: goddammit I said I wasn't going to post about this show :negative:
Also I skimmed the manga a bit because most of this post was written from memory and ran across a pretty skeevy scene when Haru was drunk that I'd forgotten about that I'm sure will get animated so it even has that problem too :v:

anyway just watch the Classmates movie and also read the manga it's based on because it's great.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 5, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

tbh i thought Super Lovers was about a guy raising a kid and having a bunch of guy/gay friends. like i thought two of the older guys would be dating and the kid was just the kid. that's even after seeing the PV

but it sounds like they really should've just had them meet, then skip 12 years into the future and they meet again at 29 and 20

The other two guys are the stepbrothers and they're twins (not into each other fortunately lol)
When I was skimming through re-reading stuff I keep running into scenes that will be totally :yikes: when animated so it's actually a lot worse than I was remembering on the skeevy front, whoops.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth posted:

Ah, thanks for posting about it :) I've been curious about this show, might still give it a chance because who knows but I'm glad I know some of the stuff beforehand

I would probably never outright recommend it to someone and completely understand being put off because it has some pretty questionable aspects. Since I'm still reading it and going to watch it anyway, if anybody has questions or wants to discuss it I'll respond but I'm also going to try really hard after this post to not jump in to defend it because it probably does win the sketchy show of the season prize.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

Though of course anyone who is into "totally not gay incest, wink wink" will go for it regardless.

hey you take what you can get

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dokyusei seems to be doing pretty well so maybe more (and better) BL stuff will get adapted. It's easier to be selective with a bigger selection, after all.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43opVPF0e7g

sweetness and lightning pv. they got the same va as for the shy girl in barakamon for the kid, so it doesn't sound like a grown woman doing a 6 year olds voice. a trend i support

ahhhhh so cute :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

It could just be about whatshisface before he met the main character. They recently covered backstory for him, so they might be using that as a lead in instead of covering it in show as a flashback

I was wondering if that might be the part they'd cover.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

The US theater listings for BL movie Doukyusei (Classmates) are out: http://doukyuseimovie.com/theaters/

dammit nowhere close to me at all :mad:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So are we discussing still-airing stuff as well here? Because Dimension W's really rushing through a multi-ep finale that feels like it should've had a bunch more Coil-hunting standalones between it and the previous ones.

Dimension W has a thread why not use that?

I'm behind on it please don't create another place I have to dodge spoilers :negative:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phobophilia posted:

Alderamin in the Sky's been confirmed for Madhouse, sweet, I liked alot of what I read of the manga. Good art, good characters, good plot. Also, the MC is the spiritual descendant of Benjamin Franklin.

That's cool, I kinda lost interest in the manga but what I read wasn't bad. I might like it better as an anime.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

awesome, I didn't realize she was doing anime character designs but thought they looked pretty BL-y lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

It's me, I'm the guy subscribed to Amazon. Crunchyroll, funimation and Netflix. Plus watching Gundam ibo on daisuki (free version).

:shepspends:

lol I'm kinda the same, just swap no-ads Hulu for Funi. If I was only subscribing for anime on each of them I'd probably be more annoyed, but I get more out of each sub than just seasonal anime since I use the shipping, music, and discounts on Prime a ton, watch stuff other than anime on hulu/netflix, and read manga on CR so exclusivity has no bearing on what I subscribe to in the end. It's still cheaper than cable or satellite and at least with anime you don't run into that poo poo they do where you have to have a tv provider to stream a show (yet...)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
purely based on quantity and nothing else, because I know there are plenty of reasons to dislike it and access depends on location, Hulu is the best bang for your buck IMO. You get most (all?) of funimation's catalog plus a lot of the same stuff that CR gets, just on a delay. IBO is on it too, I'm not sure what other shows Daisuke has but there may be a lot of overlap there too. If I had to cheap out and cut back to just one service that would probably be the one I'd keep.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

unless it looks the same and sounds the same and focuses on different characters (because why revisit Naota and friends) i'm not super into the idea.

yeah I don't even understand what else there would be to cover

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

finally, some Touken Ranbu that will actually be in english

there's stuff like this at least but yeah

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

i tried starting this and it felt like i was missing enough context from the game that i didn't like it

I've kinda had the same problem with it, but it does help with knowing who the various characters are in the djs

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

i'm looking forward to Yaoi on Ice

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have part of votoms on vhs somewhere lol, I never watched more than one or two tapes of it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ReLife PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER57qPmG5g

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bungou Stray Dogs has a character based on Nathaniel Hawthorne and his power is the Scarlet Letter. He makes words out of his blood and can shoot them like bullets among various other tricks.

It's going to be so dumb and I'm excited

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

I should finish that... *repeat for a thousand series*

excited about that second season though

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
My hope for Joker Game is more suits and some of that cool spy action from the ED

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lurking Haro posted:

Twin Star Exorcists is not really hitting the tone of the manga.
The anime-original character (a cute fiery fox according to the website) is already annoying even though he's been voice-only for now.
I'm expecting even more "creative freedoms".

The small changes were a bit weird but it hit the main stuff OK imo. As long as the only major changes are rearranging a few gags and the one added mascot I'll probably keep watching it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

Bungo was pretty good. My only real complaint was that they were really pushing the wacky faces and overreactions, which is a change from the manga's first chapter. I liked some of the added jokes tho

Yeah it was slick as hell and the extra comedy worked for me, as silly a concept as it is I think not taking itself too seriously will help the adaption.

also :lol: at the shiptease ending

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a list of characters and ability names but don't complain about spoilers if you click that

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that thing with the shadow was a pretty cool sequence though

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ANN article w/deets on Dan Brown's character; shows what his manga version looks like and talks about his ability a bit, and there's some art of some of the detective agency characters. He hasn't shown up in what's translated of the manga yet that I remember.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched it but I'm not getting into a big discussion with someone who just wants to poo poo on it, because it's not really a hill I feel like dying on and it'll just make me annoyed if I feel like I need to defend it/watching it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not interested much in that show (that lead guy though...) but I hope that means they'll stop holding onto stuff until after the season is well over from now on.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

attack on trains owns

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

As a guy whose character in FFXIV is a catgirl all i can say is :lol:

Maybe i'll watch it after all.

how many dudes have you caused to flip out and break their keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

I read the D&D Climate Change thread; it's basically a mental ward without any doctors.

that sounds like a great way to have a real bad time

• Locked thread