Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
I wish I could use the hot tag for this. I recently go into an argument with a friend about salsa. He's proclaimed that he thinks Chili's salsa is the best.

See pictures:

and

To me that's not salsa. It's spicy and salty ketchup at worst and a bad picante at best. To me a salsa is not homogenous and needs to have chunks in it. It's tomato based, but the rest of the ingredients are subject to personal taste. He tried to use the fact that salsa translates to sauce in Spanish and Italian, but so what? That doesn't make honey mustard a salsa. He has texture issues - avoid little bits of green peppers, onions and most other foods that aren't processed to paste. He prefers chain restaurants for some those same reasons. I just cannot call that paste from the chains salsa. I've had real good salsa from numerous Mexican restaurants so I can't agree with him. I know it's a stupid argument, but...

Thoughts? Anyone from Mexico ever been to Chili's? Am I wrong to think it's crap? Recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
seltzer?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're blaming the perceived lack of quality for chili's salsa on its texture then attributing that quality to all salsas of that texture. You're wrong.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Mr. Wookums posted:

You're blaming the perceived lack of quality for chili's salsa on its texture then attributing that quality to all salsas of that texture. You're wrong.

Got to agree. Salsa is a lot about texture, but when you use the right quality ingredients the texture tends to just come through even as the flavor takes center stage.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the best salsas come from squeeze bottles at taquerias, which have to be pretty smooth. See also: molcajete salsa

in conclusion you are just really wrong on pretty much every thought

(except that Chili's salsa sucks)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Lets start this off right:

Cooked salsa is the only worthwhile salsa to eat, pico can suck my rear end.

Also all cooked salsa that aren't hatch chili sauce are a little disappointing because they are not hatch chili sauce.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Liquid Chicken posted:

It's tomato based,

You're missing a few letters in the word "tomatillo". Roast up a pan of tomatillos, with a couple different green peppers, onions, and garlic. Blend that poo poo up with as much cilantro as you like.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Sounds like you want to know who can out salsa your salsa?

The answer is no: sauces cant dance

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Salsa

From Spanish salsa ‎(“sauce”)

This is possibly the dumbest possible food ontology argument.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
As a matter of fact, honey mustard is a salsa. So is worcestershire, which is called salsa inglesa in Spanish.

Player One
Feb 29, 2016
To me a good salsa is all about being a contrast of flavours compared to the rest of the food.

Fresh, spicy, fruity, chunky or smooth are all good salsadjectives.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

This looks like pesto.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Salsa

From Spanish salsa ‎(“sauce”)

This is possibly the dumbest possible food ontology argument.

Spain hasn't done poo poo in like a hundred years, they don't get to decide what words mean anymore.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Soupy, out-of-the-jar salsa on store shelves or served in "Mexican" dine-ins here are shameful. A quantity over quality burden, probably.

If you want to call something a dip, it has to at least be able to stick on a chip without most of it dripping off the sides.

Salsa verde, the green stuff with tomatillos, used to be difficult to make for the lack of that particular veg in the garden or grocer, but now it is far more common, at least in the US. However, not a thing amiss with a solid tomato salsa either.

My heart is with pico de gallo to that end. Fresh, (actual)vine-ripened tomatoes and a variety of hot peppers roasted lightly, diced with a small red/purple onion(rinsed after cutting to get that pungent off and out of the dip), mixed with a mashed clove of garlic, sprinkle of cilantro leaves, freshly squeezed lime juice, and a pinch of kosher salt. Let chill in fridge overnight or just eat it right out of the loving bowl with your hands and face like I do, don't be a pussy.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 29, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the mother sauces are degraded stepchildren of oaxacan mole, The Platonic Salsa

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
an salsa is a sandwitch technically, when you think about it

Player One
Feb 29, 2016

mindphlux posted:

an salsa is a sandwitch technically, when you think about it

or a runny salad

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
A cold soup

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Is chimichurri a salsa?

Either way it's goddamn delicious.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Basically tiny, cold, crispy pizzas you have to assemble yourself with corn chips.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Not gonna lie, I found a salsa recipe like 10 years ago in an issue of Esquire and have stuck with it.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
1 1/2 lbs Roma tomatoes, halved and seeds/innards removed
2/3 lbs tomatillos, halved
1 large white onion — 1/2 sliced, 1/2 chopped
3-4 small serranos, stems removed (This is the amount I prefer; gives it a noticeable but not overwhelming heat)
4-5 cloves garlic (also adjustable to taste)
A handful of cilantro, finely chopped
Vegetable oil
Kosher salt

Preheat oven to 450 F. Toss tomatoes, tomatillos, SLICED onion (save the chopped 1/2 for later), chiles and garlic in a bit of veg oil before placing on a baking sheet, and then sprinkle with salt. Roast until vegetables begin to wilt and brown ever-so-slightly, probably 20 minutes.

Let them cool off a bit, then throw them into a food processor and add a tablespoon or two of oil to aid emulsification.

Add chopped onion (for texture) and cilantro, and salt to taste.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've been on a salsa rampage for the last few weeks. I first discovered Harvest Farms' Organic "Volcanic Salsa" which is pretty drat good and habanero hot. Ate a few jars of that then decided to move on to something a little more.... lively.

Today, I found this:

They're not lying... this stuff is HOT. It's not that it's just GHOST PEPPER hot, but the heat lingers... and lingers... and lingers. I've had a lot of Mrs. Renfro's brand salsa before but this stuff is on another level. My brain is on fire and I'm sweating buckets after just a few chips dipped into this stuff.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 9, 2016

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Real Name Grover posted:

Not gonna lie, I found a salsa recipe like 10 years ago in an issue of Esquire and have stuck with it.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
1 1/2 lbs Roma tomatoes, halved and seeds/innards removed
2/3 lbs tomatillos, halved
1 large white onion — 1/2 sliced, 1/2 chopped
3-4 small serranos, stems removed (This is the amount I prefer; gives it a noticeable but not overwhelming heat)
4-5 cloves garlic (also adjustable to taste)
A handful of cilantro, finely chopped
Vegetable oil
Kosher salt

Preheat oven to 450 F. Toss tomatoes, tomatillos, SLICED onion (save the chopped 1/2 for later), chiles and garlic in a bit of veg oil before placing on a baking sheet, and then sprinkle with salt. Roast until vegetables begin to wilt and brown ever-so-slightly, probably 20 minutes.

Let them cool off a bit, then throw them into a food processor and add a tablespoon or two of oil to aid emulsification.

Add chopped onion (for texture) and cilantro, and salt to taste.

You should try broiling them instead of roasting them next time. You'll get lots more char which is delicious.
Oh, but don't oil them if you broil them. It could smoke and it's not necessary.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Salsa is mexican sauce. Both interpretations of the salsa are correct, as are many others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_(sauce)

Food purity arguments are stupid. Bad salsa does exist, though. Don't eat it! Avoid this problem by learning to make your own.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
In the absence of God, food purity arguments are the only thing that give life structure, meaning, and morality. If anything can be a club sandwich, then why not just rape, kill and pillage?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

hey if you're looking for some good salsa tips,

make sure you put your salsa in the fridge after you open it. it'll last longer :cool:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lost the right link...

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
The pureed kind is "restaurant style." Has it's place along with chunky.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

bongwizzard posted:

Spain hasn't done poo poo in like a hundred years, they don't get to decide what words mean anymore.

are you seriously dissing Spain in the cooking forum?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tapas restaurants are huge ripoffs in the US. And gently caress jamon I rather have prosciutto any day.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I'm guessing you've never had Jamon Iberico, that'll change your life.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have in Madrid and again a few months ago here. Eh, it's fine. It's way too expensive for what it is.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Test Pattern posted:

are you seriously dissing Spain in the cooking forum?

Language ownership is linked to how badass your navy is, and spain is pretty lol in that area. It's like after the civil war they just gave up.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I'll add my salsa recipe.
All the gals at work want me to make it constantly. They always steal my canning jars though which sucks.

These are ratios. I usually make enough for 5 quarts. This will only make about a quart.

5 tomatillos halved
3 tomatoes quartered
1 onion quartered
1 full head of garlic peeled
3 habeneros (I prefer 5, but everyone thinks it's too much. It's worth it though for the chili high.)

Coat all of that in olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Roast it at 400 on a flat pan in the oven at 400f until the skin splits and your eyes are watering from the peppers.

Chuck it in the blender and add (and remember these are ratios) 1/4 cup of lime juice and 1/4 cup of white vinegar. Blend on high until completely liquid. You may choose to add Cilantro at this time if you like it. Some people don't.

Put it in a covered pot and simmer for about 15-30 minutes. You just want to get rid of excess liquid. Taste and adjust salt to your preference. You usually need more than you think.

If you process it, it will keep for years. If you don't, put it in the fridge for at least 2 weeks to rest. The heat will mellow and the flavors will blend as it sits. It's best after about a month.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

mostlygray posted:

I'll add my salsa recipe.
All the gals at work want me to make it constantly. They always steal my canning jars though which sucks.

These are ratios. I usually make enough for 5 quarts. This will only make about a quart.

5 tomatillos halved
3 tomatoes quartered
1 onion quartered
1 full head of garlic peeled
3 habeneros (I prefer 5, but everyone thinks it's too much. It's worth it though for the chili high.)

Coat all of that in olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Roast it at 400 on a flat pan in the oven at 400f until the skin splits and your eyes are watering from the peppers.

Chuck it in the blender and add (and remember these are ratios) 1/4 cup of lime juice and 1/4 cup of white vinegar. Blend on high until completely liquid. You may choose to add Cilantro at this time if you like it. Some people don't.

Put it in a covered pot and simmer for about 15-30 minutes. You just want to get rid of excess liquid. Taste and adjust salt to your preference. You usually need more than you think.

If you process it, it will keep for years. If you don't, put it in the fridge for at least 2 weeks to rest. The heat will mellow and the flavors will blend as it sits. It's best after about a month.

This sounds good. I'm gonna give it a try. Do you have any instructions on how you can it? I have all the gear including a pressure canner, the jar tools and boxes of jars that are leftover wedding favors. I'm assuming I can can it simply with boiling water but have never canned anything before.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Yes? How can I help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Pubic Lair posted:

This sounds good. I'm gonna give it a try. Do you have any instructions on how you can it? I have all the gear including a pressure canner, the jar tools and boxes of jars that are leftover wedding favors. I'm assuming I can can it simply with boiling water but have never canned anything before.

A good thread to ask about canning specifics. Could also forward the recipe to your county extension and ask what they think WRT hot water bath vice pressure.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

• Locked thread