Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Whatever happened to this series as a whole
The makers got separated from the franchise. The PS1 Tenchu devs went on to make Shinobido: a game about an idiot ninja deciding the fate of a small realm while loving up every step of the way. I'll start an LP of it in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
IPAs taste like cigarettes

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Oh God, you are going to get alcohol poisoning/dead tastebuds if you continue like this. :ohdear:

I think you have to put up a limit on just how many drinks you are going to have in one mission, how many did you even drink on these two missions?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

IPAs taste like cigarettes

Hey what now
I'd accept 'Worst grapefruit of my life', 'Like drinking denatured alcohol' and even 'Eating a rotten pine cone'

But cigarettes? Hell no. By definition and style IPAs should have no tobacco taste.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rigged Death Trap posted:

'Eating a rotten pine cone'

Holy poo poo that's it, I've been trying to figure out how the hell to describe the taste of Devil's Elbow, and that's it dead on

Koorisch posted:

Oh God, you are going to get alcohol poisoning/dead tastebuds if you continue like this. :ohdear:

I think you have to put up a limit on just how many drinks you are going to have in one mission, how many did you even drink on these two missions?

Not until Rikimaru's story is done :colbert: Anyone who hasn't watched our LPs and seen the normal wild swing in skill near the end, you guys are in for a surprise :v:

With any luck Ayame and Secretman's sessions will all be done in one go as well, it feels nicer that way

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
outside of that stupid forced enemy gauntlet thing (I think I hid out in the hallway so I couldn't get surrounded) the hp drain isn't that big of a deal for a stealth game, really. Since it doesn't actually kill all that means is that you have to be EXTRA stealthy and not get caught.

it's an annoying gimmick, but it's better than "lets put lots of instant death pits everywhere so you have to replay this 20+ minute level if you get kicked into them"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Danaru posted:

Holy poo poo that's it, I've been trying to figure out how the hell to describe the taste of Devil's Elbow, and that's it dead on

That sounds like it's totally my poo poo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

That sounds like it's totally my poo poo.

Most likely. I'm a giant baby when it comes to hops, which is why I keep finding it hilarious to find the most hop-filled poo poo to screw myself over later, although Devil's Elbow I got specifically because it was a litre. I swear it wasn't that bad when I drank it during MGS3, but I also think that was during the session where I took four or five shots in a single episode.

Also, pro comment from youtube:

Boy did I loving forget about Ayame's trek through the graveyard :shepface: Can't wait to record that this sunday

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Rikimaru shouldn't have bothered having Izayoi fixed and wielded Shichishito just to troll Onikage.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven Episode 5 - Anime Confessions

I hopethink everyone had that weird anime section of their life when they were a teenager

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So could you throw a smoke bomb and then Wrath of Heaven bosses to instantly end them?

And gz on Grand master, Dan-sama.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

So could you throw a smoke bomb and then Wrath of Heaven bosses to instantly end them?

And gz on Grand master, Dan-sama.

It's possible, but tricky. The problem with the Wrath of Heaven is it has a long rear end wind up time, and a lot of bosses will recover in time to deck you RIGHT as you hit 1 hp.

The Wrath of Heaven is the webm I used in the OP, actually. I wasn't ballsy enough to risk taking shots for it with a liter of Devil's Elbow in my gut.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
The strategy I found that works when I played ages past was to drop a smoke bomb and immediately start the Wrath of Heaven attack, before they even hit the smoke. Because you are 1000% right they will recover before you finish if you wait for them to actually be stunned first.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Who's your casting partner? Her cackling at you really makes the LP :D

White Coke
May 29, 2015
You mean Grace? He's really good, come for the Dan, stay for the Grace. It wouldn't be the same otherwise.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did you mean to link all the episodes in the OP, or just the first?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lotish posted:

Did you mean to link all the episodes in the OP, or just the first?

Whoops, totally meant to add the rest there, fixed that and added a playlist

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven Episode 6 - Tenrai's Stupid Fortress of Jerks

Fun fact, Dohjutsu was never mentioned in this series before this game, and is NEVER mentioned again. Thanks Tatsumaru

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yaaaaay new episode!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This really feels like a proof-of-concept, like the first game in the series. It's weird that it's the third.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SSNeoman posted:

This really feels like a proof-of-concept, like the first game in the series. It's weird that it's the third.
It is the first, for that team.

SelenicMartian posted:

The makers got separated from the franchise. The PS1 Tenchu devs went on to make Shinobido: a game about an idiot ninja deciding the fate of a small realm while loving up every step of the way.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Tenchu Wrath of Heaven Episode 7 - Mystical Plot Coupons

Let's get started with Ayame's story! Ayame's storyline is... a little more cohesive than Rikimaru's but not by much. It's shallow and cliche, sure, but at least there's an actual plot beyond Tenrai trolling Rikimaru until Rikimaru stabs him. It doesn't need a good story since it's fun to play though :v: give me an excuse plot and fun gameplay any day.

Also context for a joke, Grace and I joked about coming up with a channel name in case we suddenly became popular, and the best one we came up with was "Cider and Sass". Other winners were "Panda Squad" and "Don't".

Just as a final note, this was the final session of the game we hurled directly into Secretman's campaign and the ultra secret bonus mission after this. I don't remember doing particularly well so I'm still not 100% sure how I survived.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Danaru posted:

Just as a final note, this was the final session of the game we hurled directly into Secretman's campaign and the ultra secret bonus mission after this. I don't remember doing particularly well so I'm still not 100% sure how I survived.

Woah I hope you cleaned up after yourselves.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dan tried so hard but in the end it's still coming up pandas :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

Dan tried so hard but in the end it's still coming up pandas :allears:

I have long since given up any hope of going an entire LP without using Red_panda_twittering.mp3 :cripes:

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Danaru posted:

I have long since given up any hope of going an entire LP without using Red_panda_twittering.mp3 :cripes:

Let's face it, the sound is now a permanent part of your LP style. Just wait til it becomes a defining characteristic

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Danaru posted:

Have you tried making the noises yourself?

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Danaru posted:

our sexual attraction to each other is too strong

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I know Grace was quoting a different post but I accidentally read it as

Danaru posted:

White Coke posted:

Have you tried making the noises yourself?

Grace posted:

our sexual attraction to each other is too strong

:stare:

Seriously though. Never change. :allears: You two are adorable.

Dan put up a picture of a red panda

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Krysmphoenix posted:

Dan put up a picture of a red panda

Pandamaru

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Tenchu Episode 8 - Thanks Gohda

"We have two sacred swords perfect for you to use against the undead"
"Cool, where are they?"
"In the graveyard full of the undead"
"Oh, alright, well I'll just grab them then go thro--"
"No no, we sealed them with five magical stones throughout the graveyard that you have to destroy before the door opens."

Thank god Tenrai is as useless as Gohda is, otherwise we'd be in huge trouble.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That's the mission that made me shut the game off as a kid. This game is very frustrating sometimes. Also yay new episode, you two are so good together :3:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Bwahaha, 2003 too early for jiggle physics? Bwahaha oh no, it was just the beginning.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nobunaga's portrayal is always really weird.
in one he's Evil god demon source of all evil, and in this he's benevolent uniter and lord.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean you could only kill like 4 dudes, I don't think it's possible to get anything higher than novice without getting the Yoto swords.

Nobunaga's portrayal is always really weird.
in one he's Evil god demon source of all evil, and in this he's benevolent uniter and lord.

He was an rear end in a top hat, but at the time all ruling lords were assholes. Granted he did burn castles (with his enemies in them) and a Buddhist temple, but he was very fair to his subjects, he was a good ruler and he was very open-minded about foreigners. And the Buddhists were kinda assholes too iirc.

He's most well known for being a serious iconoclast, not caring for traditions at all. Which makes him sound really awesome, but apparently was/is a point of infamy for the Japanese. Like he was planning to make a black slave a member of his court because he was impressed with the man's strength and devotion.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 19, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I feel less mad at Rikimaru getting all the CONVENIENT plot devices when I remember he really, really needs the help compared to Ayame :v: I bet she fell off the roof in the intro to make him feel all cool for :airquote: saving her. "It's okay Riki. Sure, you ran through our clan's entire supply of logs, but you saved ME"

Fiction wise is there anything where Nobunaga is merely a secondary threat as opposed to relevant to the main plot?

"Ancient Japanese Rita Repulsa has been freed! We must stop her or all is doomed!... Oh and I guess Nobunaga is starting poo poo again, but that's as Side Op you can skip."

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

And the Buddhists were kinda assholes too iirc.

Not just assholes, heavily-armed and militant assholes who had been a huge threat to any unification attempts prior.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven Episode 9 - The Anime Trenches

We talk about anime a bizarre amount in this LP, Tenchu itself is pretty anime though.

Also I'm rescinding the rule about no spoiler talk about Tesshu now. That was 100% solely to keep Grace from finding out Cam Clarke is in this game. I would have been so upset if any of you blew that surprise.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 22, 2016

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So what do you guys think about the Shinobido series since they're made by the same people that made the two original Tenchu games for the PS1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Y'know, when Grace drinks, dear Lord does she drink the good poo poo. I kind of want that now.

• Locked thread