Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Against medical advice (9 out of 10 doctors agree dying is bad and should be avoided), I am also in this thread. And in this game! I have evolved from mere drunken commentator to lackidasical player. I really want to screw around with oddball builds, so shout some at us and I'll do my best during my turns at the controls to provide.

Let's have some real fun with this! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, funny story: DrTempest passed out while leaving his computer and everything logged in. :unsmigghh:

Less funny story: rather than deleting system32 and signing him up for a bunch of newsletters, I posted Episode 3 - Barrels of Fun and Episode 4 - Nietzschean is Terrible to YouTube for him. I did not edit anything at all, so these might be a bit rough.

Please feel free to PM him about it!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DrTempest has a pdp Afterglow, which apparently has an intermittently faulty right bumper. My controller is just a straight-up wired 360 controller by Microsoft, which is in perfect condition.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danakir posted:

Who needs to spend souls after beating a boss? Pffff, that's for losers and cowards. Hey, I know, let's just keep exploring into uncharted territory! What could go wrong? :')

You guys didn't need those souls anyway.

Those souls have already been replaced! It was all planned at the BBQ.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fish Noise posted:

bonus materials in the form of illegible drunken scrawlings

I think this is a thing we can make happen

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tiistai posted:

You don't have to switch arrows, you fire one type with the right trigger and the other with the right bumper. Really an improvement over what DaS had.

Oooooooooh.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking forward to the repeat of Knight Solaire

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Lance Bass is my favourite Pokemon."

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when you are a dwarf, everything is a dog

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet merciful poo poo I sound drunk as gently caress.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NGDBSS posted:

So, uh, you guys mentioned that a puzzle focused on lighting all the torches in an area would be cool. That's in fact a thing in Scholar's version of the Gutter, though some of the torches are in more hidden spots.

And at least these two videos have some very helpful shots on reconstructing stuff. I was surprised to see how little equipment you two had picked up, since I'm generally a packrat who will scavenge anything and everything in the game world to the point of sometimes having to drop poo poo that I can no longer hold.

We stuck every redundant thing we weren't actually using in a box at some point, to cut down on the amount of on-camera scrolling through stuff.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alternate episode titles include:
• Token of Spite
• I Have Angered A Pig
• Double Dutch Death
• Map Quest
• I Could Not Find the Hole

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
grumble

e; gently caress earthen peak

Addamere fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 30, 2016

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
those are both huge reveals, thanks friend

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fish Noise posted:

If it's a greatsword and dagger setup you want, though... any plans on doing DS3?

We'll probably do that after all the DLC hits and the ultimate whatever edition is released.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"slowly"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:airquote:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archenteron posted:

Nietzschean seemed... particularly crunk that episode

:cheers:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ask DrTempest about the joys of Dark Souls 1 DLC with only +10 weapons

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You never go full Xanthous

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tiistai posted:

I think Fume Knight is a pretty good example of an enemy where you often want to dodge at his weapon instead of away from it. With swords that huge you're easily going to get caught up in their hitboxes so just dodge at him and hello now you're behind him and get a free hit or time to heal. Pretty much the same as with the Pursuer.

:allears: :c00lbert: :smuggo:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tiistai posted:

Well the build seems better to me now, going quality with a raw Santier's seemed like a questionable choice

It doesn't seem likely that DrTempest will be getting rid of that Saintier's spear anytime soon, no matter how many large weapons — that will actually benefit from our stats — I throw at him.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frozentreasure posted:

Yeah, Fume is basically impossible to turtle against. The secret is to not roll against every attack; his straight sword swings don't have the range to hit you one after another if you dodge directly into the first one, and the greatsword swings are too slow to catch you, so you can roll once and take a moment to catch your breath, regain stamina, and analyse the next attack, then end up behind him for a solid few hits. You also just need to not get greedy ever; it's a super slow fight.

:allears: :c00lbert: :smuggo:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Recently changed my forums username, but I'm going to keep calling myself Nietzschean in the videos for this LP out of habit.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Due to troubles with DrTempest's computer, I'll be posting updates for the foreseeable future from my wonderfully not-melted Internet computing machine.

To that end, marvel as we continue to explore Shulva, fall off of cliffs, and hit walls.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eventful update cycle today! Bunch of bosses down. :)

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gimbal lock posted:

If they really did the Fume Knight as mentioned at the beginning of #91 (but provided no proof for since it doesn't happen in that Fume Knight extravaganza video),

That is entirely my bad. I fumbled with the video numbers. Here's the second one, in which we finally emerge victorious with the help of a sunbro. Sorry about that!

Addamere fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 10, 2017

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The gank squad was really fun, imo. In general, PVP-like bosses and encounters throughout levels have been pretty fun. I'm glad From put them in. Nice break from routine.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gothsheep posted:

That said, I don't know what your policy on Sunbro Support is, but if you need it, I can see if I can come help. My characters are all pretty high Soul Level right now, but they might be within Engraved Ring range by the time you get to those areas.

I think Fume Knight has been the only time we've pulled in another player, in either DS1 or DS2 — though I could be misremembering. We're trying to avoid it if we can.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We run in circles a lot in Castle Drangleic, which is hopefully more amusing for the audience than it was for us!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fish Noise posted:

If you haven't put it together yet, golems are activated by souls. Some golems are doors.

:cripes:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In this update, we remain lost in Drangleic Castle until we find ourselves in a mirror, darkly.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tarezax posted:

Fun fact: on release, Mirror Knight's lightning attacks had a bug with the sound where it did not respect your sound settings. And it also played at really high volume.

I haven't watched the videos yet, but invaders in this area are added to a pool where Mirror Knight can summon you from his mirror during the boss fight. It's a mechanic that I wish FROMSoft had used in later titles, though the boss invasion bug in Dark Souls 3 sort of approximates this.

Huh. We did not get any invaders, just standard soldiers.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tarezax posted:

That's probably a function of multiplayer in this game being pretty dead at this point. In the first months after release it was constant player invasions for Mirror Knight IIRC.

That must've been a real clown show, and probably would have made him the hardest boss ever. You'd think they would make the summoned soldiers at least be properly PVP-programmed phantoms.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fish Noise posted:

What have we learned?

Now imagine: Mirror Knight invaders who do nothing but follow him around and cast Warmth.

You know what, maybe this whole human sapience thing was a bad idea.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frozentreasure posted:

I'm really looking forward to hearing "it's not hard" regarding every boss for the rest of the game, too. The reason your rolls kept not working, also, Nietzschean, is because you were being hit, either during your own incredibly slow swings or during recoil from hitting the shield, and you then would spam roll until your stamina was gone, which pretty much always loses against Souls enemies because their attack hitboxes aren't coming out and reaching you that quickly. Rolls are invincible starting from frame one of the animation, and big swings like that are going to meet you halfway through the roll almost all of the time, after invincibility is gone. Also you're weighed down, so you don't go very far with the roll itself.

Am... am I bad at this game?

No, that can't be it. It's the controller who's wrong.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In this update we venture into the Shrine of Amana whereupon we are given cause for the following quotes:

"This level is garbage," by DrTempest

"That was the dumbest thing," by me.

DrTempest hates this level because his colour-blindness makes it difficult for him to tell the difference between shallow water and death water, and I dislike it for the lack of a rusted iron ring. There's some pretty funny deaths and also a boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now that we're through the obligatory water level, it's time to go someplace darker and perhaps soulser.

• Locked thread