Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
One bit of advice about Adaptability: it's not exactly the equivalent of Resilience. I know your Dark Souls instinct may tell you otherwise but you shouldn't be afraid of spending points in it, especially if you're going shieldless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Fish Noise posted:

Adaptability is not a trap stat, it increases Agility, which in turn increases the speed and iframes of your dodges. However, Adaptability is not the only stat that increases Agility.
I was trying to be all non-spoilery about this before but I guess the cat's out of the bag now :v:

Fish Noise posted:

Weapon durability has a framerate bug, if you're on PC and attempt to fix it, you might get VAC banned.
This has been fixed in both the original and SotFS.

Fish Noise posted:

Hitting walls is bad.
This reminds me of something important that will trip up old Dark Souls players: regular illusory walls are activated by pressing X as if it were a door, not by hitting the wall with a weapon.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Fish Noise posted:

Honestly, I had only heard about it even being a thing long after I had stopped playing. When'd it get fixed?

In the original either shortly before or after SotFS was released, can't remember exactly. If I'm not mistaken it was still present in SotFS for a short while, like a few days at most maybe.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

DrTempest posted:

So I tried at one point to find an illusory wall, hit "X" and drank an Estus. Is it "X" on the Playstation or Xbox controller?

Kloro posted:

X on the Playstation, A on the XBox controller. Same button you use for talking and switches.

Oops, yeah, I forgot you were playing on an Xbox controller and its X is a completely different button.

edit: Also yeah the big knight dude on that platform was a one-time deal. You run or you die, he won't come back there.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 6, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Generally the npc invasions (particularly in SotFS) can actually be kinda hard compared to DS1, but Armorer Dennis especially kicked my rear end more times than I care to admit.

Besides bonfires, you can also light torches at any lit sconce. You've also actually seen the torch icon in your menus several times already :ssh:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Good old Dennis

Haven't heard too many people say they prefer DS2 over 1.

I forgot to mention this earlier but you're falling into another DS1 veteran trap: the breakpoint for fat rolling is not at 50%. However, the rolling distance is gradually affected by your equip load, meaning you'll roll somewhat further at 10% than you do at 50% even when both are light rolls. Light rolling speed is the same always and i-frames are only affected by agility which by the way I'd suggest putting some points in.

Also, reminder that while you're testing weapon movesets there's also an attack you can do from a backstep.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 13, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
One simple trick to dodge & set up counterattack: roll at the enemy when he's lunging towards you, not away from him.

Pursuer hates it!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Nice job finding the shortcut to McDuff. That barrel is really finicky too so I was basically sweating it wouldn't have reached the wall and you wouldn't have tried it again. There's still a little bit more to do than meets the eye at his workshop, I wouldn't mind if you read messages more often.

Good stuff with the Pursuer too. Just remember that if you're close to an enemy with a long weapon, rolling backwards doesn't really do much other than leave you vulnerable, so it's generally better to roll either to the sides or at the enemy so you can get behind the attack instead of having to gamble it won't reach far enough. Also, with those few points in adaptability your i-frames went from 5 to 9 so it was a pretty good investment. From now on it'll be 1 extra i-frame per roughly 4 agility, it varies a bit.

You don't have to switch arrows, you fire one type with the right trigger and the other with the right bumper. Really an improvement over what DaS had.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
While we're doing the agility chat, besides boosting "ease of evasion" the game also mentions "and other actions". This is simultaneously both kinda vague and accurate, since the "other actions" include using pretty much any (non-weapon) item, if I'm not mistaken. In short, higher agility means quicker estus sips.

Also, remember to exhaust npc dialogue and chat with them every now and then. Many of them gift you useful stuff depending on what you've done. Or they might do... other actions.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Hahahaha

By the way there's no orange soapstone in this game, you can write messages from the menu

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Trying a despawn a drat little rat :v:

Bosses take less damage when you have a co-op summon with you. Your faith and int are both so low that the ooze and resin barely help you, I guess.

Also miraculously you managed to spend two of your four lockstones on actually useful contraptions, there's not too many of those in Doors of Pharros. The messages near them should be useful if you want to "spoil" yourself.

DrTempest posted:

So, I'm kinda confused on how we went, you know, up a hill and into a desert.

I'm sure that as you progress further in the game this part will feel outright natural.

Gimbal lock posted:

The doors of Pharros used to be my favorite gimmick area, but it's pretty much dead now. They might go thru the whole place without ever encountering its gimmick, which is a real shame and a loss for both of them. It used to be impossible to avoid.

Yeah it felt unfortunate.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I was honestly pretty amazed you didn't realize that since you can cheese the first peasant by letting the rock fall on top of him, you could also do the same kinda thing with the other rock. :v:

You still take damage while in the backstab/riposte animation but I think it's only like around 30% or something. Reduced nonetheless.

Tarezax posted:

Off the top of my head your options are: going further down that tunnel in Majula with the rotating mechanism, somehow unlocking the alternate path in that tunnel, or going down the big Majula well.

The other option is the Bastille if you happen to find a Fragrant Branch. Honestly my recommendation is going through the tunnel, you've already been tackling areas that are more difficult than the alternatives.

Tarezax posted:

That said, I think you guys can complete this area if you git gud enough.

This is true though

tiistai fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 10, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I think you were one Talk away from exhausting Licia's dialogue, and that would have actually happened to be pretty useful! And speaking of which, a reminder that NPCs may get new stuff to say (or give or do) after certain points in the story or after you've done something else related to them. The crestfallen warrior for example has something that triggers after x number of deaths which I'm sure you've hit ages ago.

Like Nietzschean showed with the old knights, rolling toward the enemy to get behind them and their attacks is pretty important, since rolling backwards when fighting against an enemy with long reach (or sideways when their reach is wide) usually just means you're going to get killed. I said before to do it when the enemy is lunging at you but in reality it actually works like most of the time anyway. :v: If I recall correctly you can more or less avoid Pursuer's every attack just by dodging at his sword.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah the problem was that once you finally started looking around carefully instead of running through the level, you looked pretty much everywhere except the part where you were supposed to :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Flexile Sentry is a joke, but they did make the fight a little harder on NG+ onwards. That rising water is barely even an obstacle, I don't know what they were thinking.

Brightstone is a terrible area, those Hollow Mages and their slow moving slightly homing but frequent enough to mess up your arrow spam projectiles really are annoying as hell. At least the spiders are rendered harmless by carrying a torch and thankfully they also littered around some unlit sconces around the place.

You don't have to restart the game to respec and you already have an item that allows you do it! Same with getting your Estus to +1, it just seems that you've understandably forgotten about their item descriptions. Also, since you don't seem very likely to wander back in Heide anytime soon, I think you should go open that chest there that you noticed but forgot about due to being busy with Dragonrider.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Archenteron posted:

Interesting quirk about Dark Souls 2's calculation of weapon durability

It's been fixed for a while now

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The second video is still private.

Just in case, I'm putting in spoilers the way to get the pickaxe although it's probably the most obscure thing in the game: You're supposed to lead a piggy all the way from the campsite with the falconers down to that spider-filled room, where he will dig up the pickaxe from the ground. I thought there were no hints for this in the game until just now, I never noticed before that the dark spirit peasant was wielding a pickaxe and a porcine shield.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The easiest way to farm Blue Sentinel covenant items: afk and wait for the host to kill the invader. Also the easiest way to be a total dick.

You can run up to the dragon before he breathes fire, I'm pretty sure. Once he starts it might actually be harder to get across to him. It would be a little easier if you could kill the last Heide knight but I guess that would mean killing pretty much everyone before him too. Anyway, if you're trying to get to the dragon you might find it easier to start from the other bonfire that was past the Dragonrider.

And since you talked about hexes, I guess I'll share this fascinating tidbit: Fire scales with both int and faith while Dark scales with whichever of the two is lower.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Maughlin the Armourer does get more stuff to sell, but you need to do something related to him first.

Like buying something

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah Manikins are dicks. Thankfully Earthen Peak isn't too big of an area if you just want to clear it fast.

I seriously hope you're reading the messages there though.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
You were wondering about how that guy climbed fast... Have you tried pressing the button that makes you go fast while climbing? :v:

There's not really anything in Belfry Sol except an illusory door with some items that you ran past and a rarely spawning enemy that drops rare equipment and whom you can use to farm the bell covenant rewards offline.

You monsters killed the poor bug :( The gas she spews heals poison but it's slightly corrosive, and that's all she does.

Also yes I really hope you thought of doing something to the red fire things

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Nietzschean really sounds like a different person lol

DrTempest posted:

Back to this game's 4 hour+ boss attempt.

If it's FK you're talking about he's one of the hardest bosses in the game, so you might want to save him for later

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
"It's a shame there's not some way to, like, corral those things around"

I suggest you actually try doing that before saying it can't be done :v:

Nice how you realized that maybe you shouldn't set the deplorable oil guys on fire yet went back to doing it anyway. I don't know the exact mechanics but I believe setting them on fire does nothing but make them more dangerous, they explode regardless.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I think Fume Knight is a pretty good example of an enemy where you often want to dodge at his weapon instead of away from it. With swords that huge you're easily going to get caught up in their hitboxes so just dodge at him and hello now you're behind him and get a free hit or time to heal. Pretty much the same as with the Pursuer.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well the build seems better to me now, going quality with a raw Santier's seemed like a questionable choice

At this point it should just be a matter of being confident about rolling circles around him

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, even besides the bonfire there is still just a little something you missed in the area. Might want to bring a torch.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, you must have missed a torch somewhere or other. Maybe around the side path with the knight? I don't remember if you ever even killed him.

If you ever decide to try and finish the torch thing, here's where you should go to check if you've gotten them all: the ladder pit near the entrance to Black Gulch. You'll know.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I can't believe you found like 5 messages talking about illusions and bonfire, all right next to each other, and then proceed to look for the illusory wall everywhere except that spot lol

e: Oh drat Sinh looks really annoying to fight with NPC phantoms
e2: or not

tiistai fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 7, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
1v3'ing the ~GANK SQUAD~ is one of my favorite DLC fights too, as dumb as it is to just kite a bunch of NPCs around.

You're more or less done with Shulva from what I can remember (there's still a secret or two you haven't found iirc), and you need a certain key item from the main questline to be able to interact with the glowing armor thing in Brume Tower.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 12, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
In case you want to find the bonfire you missed in Drangleic Castle, look around here. It's not going to be very useful to you at this point anyway though.

Speaking of stamina, there's a mechanic in DaS2 that I don't think has been brought up yet (maybe? I don't remember): if an attack causes you to go to negative stamina, it deals proportionally less damage.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
That locked door at the start of episode 101 doesn't have a key or anything, there's another "method" to opening it up.

Key to the Embedded IS a keyblade. It's a useable weapon. Or, well, was until you used it up on that poor lock.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

NGDBSS posted:

No you killed Agdayne. :cry: He gave you a warning, just so you wouldn't disturb the dead, but you instead believed the trolls. Though I'm surprised he wasn't being more aggressive, considering that the sword he uses is one of the best in the game.

Yeah. He gives you his set and sword if you have the King's Ring, but since you killed him they end up being sold by Melinda, like usual.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Welp I'm a bit late

Since it's a little unreasonable to figure this out on your own, in #103, that big Milfanito "bonfire" you could pray at will restore your humanity if you have zero Human Effigies.

Flynn's Ring is completely useless to you since your max equip load is 85. Its maximum bonus is 50 AR, and that bonus caps at 60 max equip load. Past that, it loses 1 AR for every 0.5 points of equip load.

The hidden bonfire in Aldia's Keep is in that room with the message "bonfire ahead" in front of its door that you read aloud but decided to hold off for later for some reason.

Eleum Loyce is a very cool place! Probably my favorite DLC. Even despite a... certain area.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The ladder to the Splintering Lightning Spear would have been invisible without the Eye.

Hope you do another round of the place later, you missed things here and there.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah you can riposte after a guard break

This DLC has pretty cool boss battles!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Curved Nil Greatsword gains bonuses based on your NG cycle, which is what the "travel" thing refers to.

Frigid Outskirts sure is an area, I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I know I'm late but I just want to remind again that the damage bonus from Flynn's Ring has absolutely nothing to do with how much stuff you're wearing, it's a complete waste of a ring slot for you no matter what :v:

It just keeps bugging me

And yeah, you were completely right about the function of the Loyce Souls. You get stuff for grinding them, for a max of 50. It'll still be possible, if slower, now that you beat the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Aldia is a new addition to SotFS so yes, that was it with Nashandra in the original. The DLC or completing them have nothing to do with Aldia showing up. Similarly, there was no choice but to take the throne in the original.

Also, one bit about Nashandra's motivations that you probably missed is that she's, like Nadalia, Elana and Alsanna, a reincarnated fragment of Manus. It's implied in their soul and weapon descriptions.

• Locked thread