Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I can steal the OP from the season 4 thread if anyone cares but I don't think anyone is picking this show up from season 5 and needing explanations of the characters.

The season premiere was pretty terrible in my opinion but the second episode was very entertaining. Very good doses of Ray with Elijah and Hannah's dad's struggles with relationships as a homosexual should hopefully lead to some interesting storylines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Been waiting for Adam and Jessa to be a thing since the first season.

priaprism
Jul 30, 2008
I'm glad they started with the wedding instead of building up to it over several episodes. Also I am grateful for them not including the ceremony and sparing us of whatever gross vows Marnie and Desi could concoct :barf:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I am loving everything about season 5. It's like they took season 1's wit, stuck it a box for 4 years and just dug it back up.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah it definitely feels like Girls figured out how to be funny again after the last couple seasons, or at least figured out that the show is funnier when Marnie's shuffled off elsewhere.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
Catching up on it now. Watching episode 1. Mostly just want Desi to die painfully and horribly. He embodies all I hate in the world that isn't voting Republican this November. Also this show should be entirely about Ray and be called "Ray (whatever his last name is)." Yes, I realize that would be quite a departure from a show that's supposed to be about four girls that is called "Girls."

Amtiskaw
May 15, 2003

it was almost the longest
Just watched the first episode. Whenever Ray mentions his "love" for Marnie, I always think of this Hark! A Vagrant comic:

Now, let's ditch this pisshole!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
This latest episode might be the funniest episode I've ever seen.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

:agreed:

Shosh is the best. Marnie is trash.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
How can I put this in terms you'll understand....

Like you know a cake is coming!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I :lol:ed at the careful pronunciation of Ecuador.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, I never thought I would want more Shosh episodes but here we are! My favorite line was her taking being called spoiled as a compliment.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Shosh is fantastic, after the opening bit I thought all the Japan stuff was gonna be a complete train wreck but then Shosh made it really great. Adam Driver continues to be the beat performer on the show by a mile though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thought the first 2 eps of this season were better than basically all of season 4. Not seen the latest yet but excited to after these comments.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I did the OP for last season and I had no loving clue this season was already on air.

With that said, I am totally loving this season so far.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation

bamhand posted:

Yeah, I never thought I would want more Shosh episodes but here we are! My favorite line was her taking being called spoiled as a compliment.

That was a superb exchange. Not an ounce of self-awareness in her body.

I just watched the first ten or so minutes of the latest episode, and Elijah's exchange with Dill about meeting the latter's friends was beyond :3:. One of my closest friends is a gay dude who Elijah kind of reminds me of, but my friend is more of a serial monogamist. I'm always hoping that he'll meet a guy who's worthy of him and treats him well, and just seeing that conversation made me say to myself, "Oh yeah...there's someone out there who can be nice to him like that!"

As always, the show needs more Ray. I love the coffee shop war subplot, but wasn't he also, you know...recently elected to public office? Like, a city alderman or whatever? Didn't he beat Marc Maron? I seem to remember that being a thing. Are we forgetting that all happened?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha that Elijah/Stoll sex scene

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahaha that Elijah/Stoll sex scene

:gonk:

Everybody here hates Desi btw, right? Like, I'm not wrong or weird in thinking he needs to be shot into space? Is there any possible defense of him?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Desi is objectively terrible and Marni is just broken enough to be perfect for him. I really hate Hannah but she's gone so far down that path that it's coming back around to being funny how cartoonishly terrible she is.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
I've never been able to get into this show, but for some reason it really clicked for me this season.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The last episode I saw was the finale of season 1. Thoughts on s05e04:
-Hannah is still neurotic.
-The dynamics with boys are roughly the same messes.
-I forgot how blunt the characters are with each other 'We're eating ice cream because everybody has to drop everything for hannah'
-Ha at Adam getting stuck on the Woman's group. I always liked his physical comedy.
-Man these people treat each other like crap.
-Welp. Awkward sex scenes are still a thing.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
RE: Sneak preview of next week's episode Pretty obvious they're bringing Charlie back, which everyone was just dying to see happen

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Shosh is working at a cat cafe and it's the best thing to happen to this show, she continues to be the best female character on this show because her flaws don't damage everyone around her.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Photex posted:

Shosh is working at a cat cafe and it's the best thing to happen to this show, she continues to be the best female character on this show because her flaws don't damage everyone around her.

She didn't do any favors to Jason Ritter back home, letting him come to the airport and wait for her while secretly staying in Japan dating someone else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:love: that version of Life On Mars.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
You know, it's funny, I'm watching the fifth episode, and I'm realizing that the sex scenes were kind of kept to a minimum up for the first few episodes. And I wasn't missing them. I might just be getting old.

This is a good episode so far though. I'm about halfway in. Jessa's introducing Adam to her friend or whatever. This will end well.

e: Well then! That arced in a few directions I didn't see coming, but I enjoyed it.

Ugh, next week's a Marnie episode. I might skip that one altogether. We'll see.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 22, 2016

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I laughed so hard at Adam taking the 'make sure you pull out' roleplay to crazy new levels. That was one of the best jokes the show's done.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I laughed so hard at Adam taking the 'make sure you pull out' roleplay to crazy new levels. That was one of the best jokes the show's done.

What the gently caress am I gonna tell coach?! He'll never let me borrow his car again, I'm gonna lose my scholarship; I CAN'T PAY THE DOCTOR'S FEES!

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Girls would be better if it were called "Guy" and it were all about a guy and that guy was Ray.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Loving this season so far. One of the best, if not the best show right now.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
This season is really good and it has lots of Adam but very little Marnie I dont think this is a coincidence.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Photex posted:

I'm gonna say that making Hannah a teacher was the best move. Like, she's already terrible, how can we make it worse: make her an authority to her emotional equals. Of course. Great creative move.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Another great episode. I think it was a bit of a leap that Marni would completely walk out on Charlie after finding his heroin kit after waiting on him selling a bunch of coke but I guess that's down to the white heroin epidemic. The entire scene where she told Desi that she wanted a divorce was awesome and exactly what the entire audience and all of the other characters were thinking the entire time.

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Watch how fast I type "motherfucker."
It was nice to see Charlie again but I don't think Marnie is meant to get back together with him (wouldn't it be Ray if it was anyone already on the show?) but he came back to serve as the catalyst for her to finally realize how miserable her situation has been. As soon as he started talking about running away together it was like, nah, ain't happening. But I liked Marnie this episode and that's saying something. I've been pleasantly surprised with this season on the whole.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah, I think this might be the strongest season of the show so far for me. Each of the characters has their own distinct story going on and they're all interesting. The only downside I think is the handling of Ray (almost nonexistent after becoming so prominent last season) and Elijah (whose plot feels a little perfunctory and inconsequential). But the whole show is really firing on all cylinders.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Seeing charlie again was so weird.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

100% into bearded husky dirtbag Charlie :swoon:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I want a Ray/Elijah spinoff where they just constantly give each other poo poo and complain about other hipsters.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I was dreading this being a Marnie-standalone episode.

Low and behold, this ends up being the best episode of this season. Holy poo poo this was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
Yeah I can't believe a Marnie-centric episode was one of the best the show's ever had.

• Locked thread