Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In Disney's Aladdin, Aladdin tricks Jafar into wishing to become a Genie so that the evil wizard will be trapped in a lamp for all eternity. Actually Genies (or Djinn) are naturally free unless trapped by a powerful magi or holy man. Aladdin's scheme would have backfired horribly, unleashing a malevolent djinn upon the world and dooming the kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

In Back to the Future, Doc Brown's time machine requires 1.21 "jigawatts" to travel backwards through time. The "jigawatt" is not an actual unit of electrical power. The real unit is the "gigawatt" from the latin "giga" meaning "billion." 1.21 Billion watts.

"Jigga" is the correct pronunciation for the prefix "giga", but then a bunch of computer nerds who'd only read it but never heard it pronounced started saying it with a hard G sound, such as in gigabytes.

The prefix giga comes from the Greek word for "giant".

So, in Back to the Future, Doc Brown does say "1.21 gigawatts", but he says it correctly.

:science:

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

The Muppet Show segment "Pigs In Space" depicts pigs exploring the galaxy, when in fact all members of the suidae family lack the manual dexterity to build spacecraft.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Doc Block posted:

"Jigga" is the correct pronunciation for the prefix "giga", but then a bunch of computer nerds who'd only read it but never heard it pronounced started saying it with a hard G sound, such as in gigabytes.

So, in Back to the Future, Doc Brown does say "1.21 gigawatts", but he says it correctly.

And yet they pronounce "Graphics Interchange Format" with a "J"...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

mdm posted:

ask me a vague question about science and I will come up with the correct simplified platitude you want to hear and it is infinitely more interesting coming from me because

im black
My buddy Bill Nye The Science Guy™ is sitting in my office drinking wine (as am I) and he can field this question.

*sips wine, is buddy with Bill Nye The Science Guy™*

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

American pie perpetuates false stereotypes u can gently caress a pie anywhere tested and proved

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

social vegan posted:

super mario land isn't very realistic. Italians have evolved an extra bone in their hindlimbs made out of cheesy breadsticks that prevents them, as a race, from jumping more than 10 cm from the ground

Luigi is actually Mario's half brother, born of Serbian stock. That allows him to jump much higher. :tito:

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
Many modern Christians believe that Jesus is Lord. In fact, there is only one god, Allah, and Muhammad is his prophet.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If Allah is the light then he will have been red shifted into the microwave range and would no longer be visible.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
BLACK SYENSE MAN
Black sience man

black

sysence
man

bbbbbbbllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccckkkkkkkkkk science maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

blacko scyenseo mano

le mano sciencious negros

balcka science maaaaaaaaaan

oh goddamn black sience manaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In Shrek, princess Fiona causes a bird to explode by making it sing until it bursts. Brids sing by forcibly exhaling air across the "sarynx," a bony organ located at the bottom of their trachea. Since air is leaving the bird's body as it sings, rather than entering it, there should be no reason for it to inflate like a balloon, much less pop.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In most first-world countries, a man who places himself under the influence of enough psychoactive substances to cause him to believe he lives in a house like Steve's house in Blue's Clues would be disqualified from even owning a dog, let alone working with children professionally

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
In the movie Deadpool, Deadpool would probs smell real bad because sweating all day in a tight costume would start to get funky

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gandalf's horse, Shadowfax, is often referred to as the king of all horses. Horses are so narrow-minded that seeing animals they are personally unfamiliar with is often enough to make them "spook" badly enough to place themselves in danger; they certainly couldn't handle the intense mental strain and subtle social interactions necessary for statecraft.

At any rate, if the horses of Middle-Earth maintain their own sovereign government, why did it not send delegates to the Council of Elrond? Would they not be in a constant war with the Rohirrim for subjugating an entire race of horse to feed their military-industrial complex?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anonymous Internet dwellers often make assertions to me that my mother is immensely, grotesquely obese, and also that she is extremely promiscuous. Sometimes they cast aspersions upon her intelligence, as well. What they apparently lack the brainpower to process is that a woman who manages to attract so many and varied sexual partners despite being so physically repellent and mentally deficient would logically need to be a pick-up artist of unprecedented skill, and I am proud to be related to her. Love you, mom. #MothersDay

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

Anonymous Internet dwellers often make assertions to me that my mother is immensely, grotesquely obese, and also that she is extremely promiscuous. Sometimes they cast aspersions upon her intelligence, as well. What they apparently lack the brainpower to process is that a woman who manages to attract so many and varied sexual partners despite being so physically repellent and mentally deficient would logically need to be a pick-up artist of unprecedented skill, and I am proud to be related to her. Love you, mom. #MothersDay

This one is pretty spot on

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was about to write up a post about how the planet from The Little Prince, which needs Earth-equivalent mass to generate Earth-equivalent gravity, is smaller than its Schwarzschild radius and so should be classified as a black hole, but I looked it up and the Schwarzschild radius for an object with the mass of Earth is like 9 millimeters

oops

I NDT-tweeted my own NDT tweet :(

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was about to write up a consolation post about how the atoms that make up an object dense enough to be The Little Prince's planet would probably be so large that they're also radioactive as poo poo, but it turns out I was misremembering high-school chemistry and nucleus size doesn't actually necessarily correlate to nucleus instability (it has more to do with the balance between protons and neutrons)

It's official, guys, The Little Prince is scientifically unassailable

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It wouldn't need to have the mass of earth since its radius is much lower.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Germstore posted:

It wouldn't need to have the mass of earth since its radius is much lower.

drat

meta-meta-NDTed :(

(this would mean the schwarzschild radius is even smaller btw :negative:)

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
In Hellraiser unlocking the Lament Configuration would in reality open a portal to my anus.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
"I hate anything fun or entertaining, btw I'm smarter then you"

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Baron Munchausen lifting himself by his own hair is a physical impossibility.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
"The force" featured in Star Wars is not real.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/704778034809851904

:nallears:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Doc Block posted:

But the "j" sound doesn't exist in Greek :confused:

the original Greek is γίγας, and the closest way to approximate the pronunciation of that in English phonetics is "yiyas".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this but unironically

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Jesus would pick Hillary cuz jay z would

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm a big weenie who transitioned from being funny and entertaining into being a pedantic nerd that gets swirlies everyday

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
In La Traviata, Violetta sings of her recovery from and eventual relapse into tuberculosis. In reality, operatic singing is a slow and inefficient method of communication, and the stresses it places on the lungs are likely to make such a disease worse.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
"I will always love you." A fine sentiment, but 'always' would span the entirety known time from the beginning of the universe to its possible eventual end; a period hundreds of millions of times longer than that in which Whitney Houston's limbic system was capable of generating the hormones necessary to experience 'love'.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

the original Greek is γίγας, and the closest way to approximate the pronunciation of that in English phonetics is "yiyas".

It would be Ancient Greek, so wouldn't it still be a hard /g/ sound?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

In Cosmos: A Personal Voyage Carl Sagan proclaims "If you wish to bake an apple pie, you must first create the universe" - nice try Carl, if that is your real name, but only Almighty God has such a power.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Cnut the Great posted:

It would be Ancient Greek, so wouldn't it still be a hard /g/ sound?

maybe, idk. definitely not "j", though.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I was voted the sexiest astrophysicist alive by People Magazine in 2000.

*cock whips journalist*

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

maybe, idk. definitely not "j", though.

True. jig'ə-wŏt is still considered to be an acceptable English pronunciation, though. It just has nothing to do with the original Greek.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

loquacius posted:

In most first-world countries, a man who places himself under the influence of enough psychoactive substances to cause him to believe he lives in a house like Steve's house in Blue's Clues would be disqualified from even owning a dog, let alone working with children professionally

Most first world countries? He lives in America. His beliefs are protected by the Constitution.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Billions and billions of stars

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

I said giga comes from the Greek word for giant. For whatever dumbass reason my phone wasn't letting me copy/paste the actual word from Safari into Awful.app.

And Y->J and J->Y phonetic conversions between languages are somewhat common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Way down below the ocean is NOT where you'd wanna be. In addition to being unable to breathe, pressure increases as you increase depth. In fact if you change depth too quickly your own blood can kill you. She may be... But most likely she would have succumbed to these factors

• Locked thread