Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

*is really super-smart but kindof of dink on Twitter.*

*gets stuffed into an Internet locker*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
In the movie Event Horizon, the assumption that they jumped into the literal Hell of Abrahamic faiths is just one of the possible explanations, in fact they may just as likely have traveled into an alternate dimension ruled by bats into fire and violent sadomasochism. Perhaps the captain would have been better off studying chirps and squeaks instead of dead but 'spooky' languages. But for this crew to discount warp travel or destroy the literal ball of science based on a single sample was the real horror story.

~~2 hours later ~~

@ndt Having a great time at @warptravel_industries be sure to support your local warp drive producer they make #science

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
In the movie Blade, Wesley Snipes character 'Blade' says "Mother fucker, you out your drat mind?". That's it. That movie is perfect in every way and I just really like that scene. It's very scientifically accurate. In fact, it is more accurate than the world we currently dwell in.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jukeboxblues posted:

In the movie Blade, Wesley Snipes character 'Blade' says "Mother fucker, you out your drat mind?". That's it. That movie is perfect in every way and I just really like that scene. It's very scientifically accurate. In fact, it is more accurate than the world we currently dwell in.

i just split my sack open and read my ballguts and this augurs true

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Here let me break down the physics of deflategate in 140 character spurts. You see, i am an astrophysicist therefore i must render a verdict on this and every matter dealing with the physical world and even many make believe ones

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Doc Block posted:

I said giga comes from the Greek word for giant. For whatever dumbass reason my phone wasn't letting me copy/paste the actual word from Safari into Awful.app.

And Y->J and J->Y phonetic conversions between languages are somewhat common.

Yeah I understand that you were using "giga" there and why. I'm just saying I don't understand how you draw from that fact that the "j" pronunciation would be more correct than the hard g sound. In the Greek it is a soft g which doesn't exist in English (though as someone pointed out, it may have been a hard g in ancient Greek, I can't vouch for that though), but it could also be read as a hard g. I'm just not seeing the logical connection between the Greek root and changing the g to a j phonetically.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jukeboxblues posted:

In addition, the vampires take sensible precautions against the sun's UV rays, and Blade's observation "some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate uphill" rings scientifically accurate. It would indeed be foolhardy to try and traverse a steep grade with the only traction the blades on a pair of skates. It's clear this film did its homework and rates an "A" for accuracy.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Furthermore, the opening scene in the 'Vampire Night Club' is highly accurate. An industrial meat slaughtering factory would be the perfect place to hide their 'blood rain' that comes out of the sprinkler system along with the prey that they lure into there. Additionally, anyone who knew the person lured in knew they were going to a night club and it can be assumed they died via other means. Lastly, both Blade and Wesley Snipes are very good at combat and it was a very natural fight scene, as that is exactly how a group of terrified individuals have been proven to react in such a scary encounter. This is known as the "Fight or Flight Response" and Blade uses it to his advantage proving that he is very well versed in tactics and strategy, making the entire idea of his existence highly plausible.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
*performs the legendary "self suck" a technique I spent decades researching*

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
*realizes that by spending so long researching the legendary "self suck" I've now become too fat to perform it*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
In the film "Gattaca" we are told that there is no gene for the human spirit. While it's true that there is no single gene for the human spirit, the interaction of several genes is actually responsible for producing the human spirit. Furthermore, the human spirit doesn't exist except as some sort of clumsy metaphor for discipline and motivation.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jukeboxblues posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjUpSuD-_2A

:agreed:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

holy autism.

I've come to the conclusion that Neil doesnt like fun and is an rear end in a top hat.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 2, 2016

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
In the video game Team Fortress 2, turning is not modeled as acceleration. In the real world 'strafing' back and forth midair is impossible and cannot produce an increase in distance traveled relative to an identical launch vector in a straight line.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In the Monk episode Mr. Monk and the Captain's Wife, the clue that allows Monk to crack the case is a misaligned lawn sundial, which he deduces has become misaligned because the killer bumped it on his way to the scene of the crime. In reality, few sundials are properly calibrated to the appropriate angle of the sun for their latitude, and Mr. Monk would have no reason to believe a decorative lawn ornament would be properly aligned in the first place.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In Bravestarr, the substance Kirium is highly prized as a starship fuel owing to the fact that even a gram of kirium ore is sufficient to power a medium-sized freighter for "an entire year." A substance containing so much stored energy would be highly unstable, and the planet of New Texas should have long been destroyed by an errant spark from a miner's pickaxe.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
*abandons ostensibly illustrious astrophysics career to become a c-list celebrity*

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Supremes urge the listener to "Stop in the name of Love" but Love cannot actually bestow the legal authority to stop or detain any citizen of the united states. That power resides in the executive branch of government.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
In the movie Iron Man, there's no way a suit of Iron would fly that well, it would have to be made out of lighter polymers. He should be Polymer Man

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Applewhite posted:

The Supremes urge the listener to "Stop in the name of Love" but Love cannot actually bestow the legal authority to stop or detain any citizen of the united states. That power resides in the executive branch of government.

you should always shout loudly "am i being detained" and deny the authority of Admirality Love over the corperation that is your person.

wait poo poo wrong thread

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Goons mad that nerdy astrophysicist says nerdy things, news at 10

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In the movie Galaxy Quest, the Thermians believe the broadcasts of the titular show to be "historical documents" and seem unfamiliar with the concept of fiction. However, many TV shows contain portrayals of how TV shows are produced, as well as portrayals of play acting and storytelling. There would be no reason for the Thermians to assume Galaxy Quest was based on true events.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

In the movie Iron Man, there's no way a suit of Iron would fly that well, it would have to be made out of lighter polymers. He should be Polymer Man

Polymer Man, Polymer Man

Polymer Man hates Terrorist Man

They have a fight, Polymer wins

Polymer Man

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 2, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
In the movie Gravity no man as attractive as George Clooney would be an astronaut. He would most likely be a high paid Hollywood actor starring in movies such as Gravity.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In the movie Wild Wild West, even if the magnetic collars were powerful enough to attract the flying sawblades from a distance, the blades would not spin through the air like frisbees. They would actually flip on their long axis to present the largest possible surface area to the magnetic field.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Sea Sponges don't wear pants, they don't even have legs! Sorry kids, but your favorite hero is an immobile filter feeder from the family Poriferae. Also, they are not square, but amorphous or tubelike.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also, even if a squid could potentially wear a polo shirt, it certainly could not play a clarinet as it lacks any semblance of human lips

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
The new Ghostbusters reboot is in fact, gonna suck, empirically.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Stuffguyman posted:

The new Ghostbusters reboot is in fact, gonna suck, empirically.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games, Sonic can perform a "spin dash" where he spins in place before releasing for a burst of speed. In reality, his rotation could only be caused by forward motion. Spinning in place as depicted in the game is impossible.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
*loses 200 lbs so can finally perform the legendary "self suck"*

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Applewhite posted:

In the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games, Sonic can perform a "spin dash" where he spins in place before releasing for a burst of speed. In reality, his rotation could only be caused by forward motion. Spinning in place as depicted in the game is impossible.

"Somebody ain't never had a stroked out 383 with posi-track" -My uncle

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

"Somebody ain't never had a stroked out 383 with posi-track" -My uncle

Are you... reading the thread out loud to your uncle?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Maybe Sonic is low friction and has an internal flywheel.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
*pops head up*

Selfsucking is the only true form of cyclical energy!

*returns to self sucking*

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Applewhite posted:

Are you... reading the thread out loud to your uncle?

No, just channeling him for a moment as I drift in to thoughts of lovely home build dragsters and bootleg Dukes of Hazard VHS Tapes

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
The claim being put forth by this Vinnie character, that there is no kitchen in existencs where grits could be cooked in five minutes instead of ten is wild conjecture. Due to the dilation of time from either rapid speeds or gravity, and variations in grit structure, it is possible that there is not only a kitchen where grits can be cooked in five minutes, but there very well may be a kitchen where all the grits you want are ready in the blink of an eye.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
*continues to perform the legendary "self suck" technique for next several years abandoning all other pursuits*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
*continues to furiously "self suck"*

• Locked thread