Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So Pell's latest set of sociopathic testimony totally destroys everything Devine and Bolt have been saying, right?

"I knew, I just didn't care or do anything because there was no law forcing me to" is much harder to justify to the Herald Sun readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
My god, that boomer article is depressing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Gorilla Salad posted:

So Pell's latest set of sociopathic testimony totally destroys everything Devine and Bolt have been saying, right?

"I knew, I just didn't care or do anything because there was no law forcing me to" is much harder to justify to the Herald Sun readers.

You're acting like Bolt and Devine require any element of truth to back them up in order to keep vomiting bile.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So. lovely little government down under. Ive got a question for you.

What's baking you harder? Your summer outback sun? Or your Chinese dependencies lighting themselves on fire?

Heres a better question: are you ready for a bad time?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Grouchio posted:

What's baking you harder? Your summer outback sun? Or your Chinese dependencies lighting themselves on fire?

Why do foreigners always drop in here to ask gloating questions about whatever lovely economist article they read this week? Have they been harboring miserable jealousy since the GFC and now they're trying to spread it globally?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-01/abc-politics-live-blog-march-1/7209628

Live: Cory Bernardi seconded to the United Nations
MAP: Australia
The Federal Government is sending controversial senator Cory Bernardi to the United Nations for a three-month secondment, starting September.

Here is a little more detail on Senator Bernardi's trip to the Big Apple.

The Federal Government is sending Liberal Senator Cory Bernardi to the United Nations on a three month secondment.

The ABC understands Senator Bernardi will start his post in September.

The Government sends one Coalition and one Labor MP each year as parliamentary observers of the UN General Assembly.

Senator Bernadi has been critical of the United Nations in the past, describing it as an "unelected and unaccountable body" and a "fiscal black hole of bureaucracy" during debate in the Senate.

Here's a reminder of what Senator Bernardi told the ABC last month, trying to dissuade his government from endorsing former Labor Prime Minister Kevin Rudd as a potential replacement for current secretary-general Ban Ki-Moon.

Unless of course ... the plan is to destroy the United Nations from within, then that's what I think he would do.
Cory Bernardi, February 4

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Grouchio posted:

I'm always ready for a bad time, but not to being dunked on.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Boomers are baking us the hardest.

We're mostly young so we've been having a bad time for years.

Looking forward to all our social services being cut to prop up boomer investments and pensions.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Grouchio posted:

it's Autumn now. I like Autumn.

dumbarse

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Federal Government is sending controversial senator Cory Bernardi to the United Nations for a three-month secondment, starting September.

The Federal Government is sending Liberal Senator Cory Bernardi to the United Nations on a three month secondment.

The Government sends one Coalition and one Labor MP each year as parliamentary observers of the UN General Assembly.

Senator Bernadi has been critical of the United Nations in the past, describing it as an "unelected and unaccountable body" and a "fiscal black hole of bureaucracy" during debate in the Senate.

Here's a reminder of what Senator Bernardi told the ABC last month, trying to dissuade his government from endorsing former Labor Prime Minister Kevin Rudd as a potential replacement for current secretary-general Ban Ki-Moon.

Unless of course ... the plan is to destroy the United Nations from within, then that's what I think he would do.

:gonk:

As observers can they actually do anything? I think that's the only way we're not going to be horribly embarrassed.

On the other hand, even the LNP want a break from Bernardi.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

They're just getting him off the TV for a couple of months. He'll have a nice holiday and do nothing.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

If you embarrass turnbull he will give you a paid vacation, pass it on

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

katlington posted:

That was what I thought of it at first, it would be a delight to see him go against his will though!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

katlington posted:

Hockey embarrassed Abbott and got a sweet Washington posting. Politicians: failing up.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

quote:

Mass arrests part of NSW pill testing program proposal

Large-scale civil disobedience and mass arrests are being factored into a plan to rollout the first ever pill testing at NSW festivals before the end of the year, as the NSW Deputy Premier flagged organisers could be charged with drug supply and manslaughter.

The pilot program – the first of its kind to provide mobile laboratory-grade drug testing in Australia – will be carried out inside a van staffed with toxicologists, and shielded from police by barriers of supporters willing to risk arrest to protect others from prosecution, drug law reform advocates said.

Will Tregoning, the founder of drug law reform agency Unharm, said the civil disobedience model was necessary after the NSW government reaffirmed its staunch opposition to pill testing on Monday.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mass-arrests-part-of-nsw-pill-testing-program-proposal-20160229-gn6d4o.html

NSW Liberals: Definitely not a bunch of small minded moral wowsers.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Do those disposable testing kits you can buy actually work? They could just hand those out.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

Do those disposable testing kits you can buy actually work? They could just hand those out.

I doubt a little kit could test for every dangerous impurity. That plan sounds like a great way to get sued.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

[I]f these pills go wrong and kill someone they may well be vulnerable to manslaughter charges," the man trying to stop pill testing told 2UE radio

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

gently caress harm reduction, lets arrest people volunteering to try and help reduce mortality at music festivals!

Holy poo poo LNP.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amethyst posted:

I doubt a little kit could test for every dangerous impurity. That plan sounds like a great way to get sued.

Those pill testing kits are intended to detect things made accidentally instead of MDMA (because it's a complex chemical process and is easy to gently caress up), or might be deliberately substituted for cost reasons (speed, sugar, etc). It covers the basics pretty well.

E: You can't test concentration with them, which is one big problem.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 1, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Yeah I would say it is very much for testing pills. I remember a batch of ecstacy going around in perth 15 years ago that had something that wasnt mdma in it and killed a few people. I think it was PMA but no sure

hooman posted:

gently caress harm reduction anything good, lets arrest people volunteering to try and help reduce mortality at music festivals! be horrible people.

Holy poo poo LNP Labor/Coalition.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Who is going to be able to enter the drug testing van then leave again and not be picked up by police?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Take your pingers before you leave?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Take your pingers before you leave?

Part of the problem is people taking their entire days supply of pingers in one go.

Clearly the solution is to have different caps of gelatin that break down at different rates, so you can put your pingers inside those, and then take em all, and they will kick in over a delayed time period, and not all at once.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Grouchio posted:

They are still opening up chocolate cafes. There are dozens of the blighted things.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Grouchio posted:

the nerds in auspol will get real mad when i call australia bad

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

Part of the problem is people taking their entire days supply of pingers in one go.

Clearly the solution is to have different caps of gelatin that break down at different rates, so you can put your pingers inside those, and then take em all, and they will kick in over a delayed time period, and not all at once.

The answer is a state run ecsacy dispensary with guaranteed purity and subsidised pinga machines in every club (which are free to open 24h a day)

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

Vahtooch posted:

Absolutely stunning op. Now I'll just go back to sipping lattes and not wanting to work hard, and you know, crying into said latte since I just read this.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2016/march/1456750800/richard-cooke/boomer-supremacy

"The experts’ predictions were stark. “There is a stunning generational unfairness in our [budget] settings and all those disengaged younger Australians need to wake up to the fact they’re being massively screwed by … what the baby boomers are leaving for them,” said Chris Richardson of Deloitte Access Economics. “Right now, we’re eating their future.”

Brilliant article. I work in tax and still don't understand how all the other young(ish) ones in my office can be all happy Liberal voters when we're privy to how much the system is geared to the ones with money. I did also enjoy the dig at Stephen Koukalos, who I for some reason generally trust on economic matters as a sensible head, but always found his advice on housing incredibly simplistic.

Shunkymonky fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 1, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I always felt like Kouk was just van badham with an economics degree.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Shunkymonky posted:

I work in tax and still don't understand how all the other young(ish) ones in my office can be all happy Liberal voters when we're privy to how much the system is geared to the ones with money.
It's the "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" mindset. Someday, when (not if) they're rich, they want all these policies to still exist so they can gently caress the poor. The fact they'll almost certainly never be rich never even crosses their mind.

Basically, this scene from Futurama.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_LvRPX0rGY

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sounds like they're gearing up for an election.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

thatfatkid posted:

Sounds like they're gearing up for an election.

They'd want him around for an election though wouldn't they? Unless this is a bribe to get him to shut the gently caress up until after a DD in June.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

gay picnic defence posted:

They'd want him around for an election though wouldn't they? Unless this is a bribe to get him to shut the gently caress up until after a DD in June.

He's easily their most reviled MP and with same-sex marriage being a key part of the election he'd be pushing swing voters away.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Pretty sure Barnaby Joyce is the most hated at the moment judging polls wink.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://voteflux.org/

someone just linked that on my facebook

this is the stupidest thing ive seen

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 1, 2016

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I don' t think it's stupid. It's an interesting experiment.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It goes beyond them just liking bitcoin; the blockchain is an inherent part of the proposal.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It goes beyond them just liking bitcoin; the blockchain is an inherent part of the proposal.

Blockchain has proven to be an excellent method for distributed authentication.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Amethyst posted:

I don' t think it's stupid. It's an interesting experiment.

Trading away or accumulating votes, what could possibly go wrong with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

Trading away or accumulating votes, what could possibly go wrong with that.

It will be, at most, one vote in the senate. I think it's reasonable to experiment on that scale. People have been speculating about voting alternatives for a long time and I think if you're interested in politics at all you should be able to see the value in this as an experiment.

• Locked thread